Vitamix Alternative: The Oster Versa Professional Performance Blender

VIDEO: One reviewer does a side-by-side comparison of the Oster Versa and Vitamix to try to find a suitable Vitamix alternative.

One of the most popular blenders on the market today is the Vitamix. The Vitamix is marketed as a professional grade blender, which means it has all of the performance, power and capabilities of a restaurant grade blender, but it’s designed for in-home use. For years, chefs and restaurants have had access to higher performance appliances, but these do not come without a cost. Typically, a restaurant grade appliance is more expensive than a mass market appliance. Why? Because most consumers simply don’t want to invest the money, nor do they want an appliance that doesn’t fit aesthetically into their kitchen design.

Then, Vitamix introduced a series of professional grade blenders that turned the blender industry on its heels. Manufacturers recognized that consumers really were looking for high performance appliances – including blenders that could do more than just blend – and that there was a segment of the population willing to pay over $500 for a blender. But what about the rest of us who aren’t so eager to shell out that type of money for an appliance? Is there a Vitamix alternative? Is there a blender that is comparable to the Vitamix, but for half of the price?

Vitamix Alternative

There is! It’s the Oster Versa. This new blender really does work as a Vitamix alternative.

Oster Versa 1400-watt Professional Performance Blender

Oster Versa 1400-watt Professional Performance Blender

First Impressions

I was skeptical. Yes, Oster is marketing the Versa as a high-performance blender with the capability to heat soup just like the Vitamix, but those are just words. I needed to try this for myself. Upon opening the box, the first thing I noticed is that the base of the Oster is just as substantial and heavy duty as the base of the Vitamix. Without going into too much technical detail, the Vitamix 750 contains a 1200-watt motor. The Oster Versa contains a 1400-watt motor.

So, both blenders house motors that are capable of rotating the blades at a very high speed. This is what you are looking for in a professional grade blender because the more powerful the motor, the more easily the blender is able to chop, grind or puree the hardest of foods.

With slightly more power, check one off for the Oster Versa.

Did I notice a difference in capabilities between the two blenders? I noticed none. I was able to chop ice just as easily in both blenders. Sauces were a cinch in both, and I really felt that both blenders were solidly constructed. I like this because I want a blender that I can walk away from while it is working. I don’t want to have to babysit my blender for fear it is going to vibrate off the counter or blow its lid. That sort of sturdiness and heft was what impressed me about the Vitamix, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it in the Oster Versa as well.

The other feature that really grabbed my attention with the Vitamix is the ability to heat soup while it is blending. To me, that was impressive and appealing because it cuts down on the number of dirty dishes. Who wouldn’t want to chop, puree and heat all with the same appliance? The Oster Versa is just as capable as the Vitamix in that respect. I was able to easily make delicious soup and serve it straight from the blender jar. This made serving easy as well.

One Noticeable Difference

There is just one noticeable difference between the Vitamix 750 and the Oster Versa – the price tag. The Vitamix 750 retails for $750, whereas the Oster Versa retails for around $250, but can be found at some retailers for $200. That is a tremendous savings!

Yes, you can purchase a Vitamix for less from Costco, Amazon or from the Vitamix Certified Reconditioned Program, but you will still spend over $500 for the product. One nice thing about Vitamix is its 30-day no questions asked return policy. This allows you to try out a high-priced item to make sure it meets your expectations. I was unable to find any information about Oster’s return policy, but the blender does come with a 7-year warranty. This is also the standard Vitamix warranty.

Have you tried the Oster Versa? If so, please let us know what you think of this potential Vitamix alternative with a Viewpoints Review.

Amanda Bryant (56 Posts)

Amanda Bryant is a design professional with an interest and expertise in products for the home and office. She is founder and principal of HangItUp Chicago, a fine art rental business partnering exclusively with Chicago-area companies.