Viewpoints Favorite BB Cream

bb cream

BB Cream promises to smooth, heal, conceal and protect your skin — more than any foundation or moisturizer.

You’ve probably seen BB Creams on the shelf at the drugstore, or in the pages of a magazine, but do you now what these magic creams really do? BB Creams are a way to streamline your morning routine. These creams serve as a jack-of-all-trades by moisturizing, providing coverage, and providing full-spectrum sun protection along with other beauty benefits. All the more reason to consider buying a BB Cream!

What began as a single cream formulated by a German dermatologist to help patients protect their skin after getting laser treatments has become a sensation in Asia (mostly South Korea) and has made its way to the U.S.. In my experience with top-quality beauty products, if it’s popular in Asia, I’m definitely willing to try it! Let’s explore some of the top brands of BB Creams.

One small note: BB Creams are different from tinted moisturizers which are focused on moisturizing your skin while providing coverage (hence the tint). Those moisturizers are not aimed at providing the treatment benefits that you might get in a BB Cream.

Est Price: $9
Viewpoints Score: 79/100

This BB Cream contains humectants, which work to draw moisture from the air to your skin, along with titanium dioxide, which works to provide full-spectrum sun protection. These are definitely coveted features to have in a product, yet consumers found a mix of good & bad when it comes to this BB Cream:

Good for hydration and protection:

“I am fair skinned but I chose the light/medium since I would be using it during the summer months and it worked great. It had a very lightweight feeling on my skin and I always felt hydrated… It has a built in SPF, so it is a great option for the summer months.”worknschoolmom23, Reviewer since 2011

Makes the skin look more even:

“It didn’t cover up any of my acne but it did even out my skin tone and it also felt light weight unlike some other makeup that just completely weighs down your face. Overall it’s a pretty good product if you want [natural] looking makeup that protects your skin from the sun (an added bonus).” skyblossom117, Reviewer since 2012

But the color range is bad:

“The color range is not for people that have a yellow undertone on their skin. I tried the lightest shade and it made my face all ashy so I tried the medium color and it made my face even more ashy.” heyclaire,Reviewer since 2013

“There are two negatives for me: 1) it contains SPF 30, but I’ve still been burned while wearing this alone; 2) it doesn’t blend as well as I’d like, and can be visible and look chalky on the skin in strong light. I solve both these problems by mixing the product with a little bit of moisturizer with SPF before applying, which protects my skin better and makes it easier to blend (still not perfect or anything like an HD product, but better).” armchairs, Reviewer since 2013

I think the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector is worth trying if you have fair to medium light skin. Just be aware of some of the complaints.

Est. Price: $24
Viewpoints Score: 83/100

Another BB Cream growing in popularity is the Missha M Signature Real Complete BB Cream SPF25. That’s really no surprise seeing as how the Missha BB Cream is not only mineral oil free, but also free of parabens, alcohol and other ingredients that are not so healthy for the skin. It also contains a botanical complex, which can help to improve your skin over time and make your skin look its best for the time being. This definitely makes this product worth trying.

“The BB cream is my foundation, my sun screen, with the SPF25 PA++, I think it is enough for my daily sun block; It can cover some blemish on my face, and after the use, my face looked natural and healthy…Anyway, I’ve used several BB cream by far, and this real complete is my favorite one, it is a good choice for light make-up…” lsqblueday, Reviewer since 2011

“I’ve tried a lot of BB creams, but this one is the best I’ve used. It covers blemishes and keeps moisture in. It goes on smooth and blends into your skin tone quickly, so no long wait time, as with some other BB creams.” peaches1982, Reviewer since 2013

So, are you ready to try a BB Cream? Well, I’ve been hearing chatter about the next big thing, CC Creams. So be sure to get your BB Cream soon, before they become obsolete. I just might run out and get some BB Cream myself!

Jennifer Oseitutu Jennifer Oseitutu (12 Posts)

Jennifer Oseitutu is a recent graduate of the University of Chicago where she undertook studies in both Biological Sciences and Sociology. She has traveled abroad to Beijing, China and Accra, Ghana, taking note of the beauty culture in these areas. In addition, she wrote her senior thesis on skin bleaching in Ghana. Overall, she enjoys providing skin care information that goes beyond the cookie-cutter tips you find in magazines.