How To Treat Dry Skin, Especially In the Winter

how-to-treat-dry-skin

Winter is the time when everyone is asking how to treat dry skin. The cold air chaps your skin and furnaces dry the air. Here’s how to treat dry skin.

As winter rolls around my skin becomes extra dry. Whether you have dry skin all year, or skin that becomes seasonally dry, I have three products to help treat dry skin all year round.

Hyaluronic Acid

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream

Powered by Viewpoints

If you have really been struggling with dry skin, consider choosing a product with hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is supposed to attract moisture from the air to your skin, and helps to increase the moisture content in your skin. I recommend you try CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (95/100), which contains this powerful ingredient.

For only $15 for a 16 oz. tub, this is a great deal. Of course, Viewpoint consumers have spoken, here’s what they had to say:

“My feet get very very rough and dry in the summer.  This cream works to soften them better than any other product I have used.  My daughter’s dermatologist recommended it for softening and moisturizing especially at night.  She gave us a sample and I was hooked!”melissinglink808, Reviewer since 2010

“My dermatologist put me on to this product.  Can’t believe how good it is.  I have a recurring dermititus condition and at the first sign of drying I put this on and it’s gone within 2 to 3 days.  Wish I had this product a couple of years ago.” dollie326, Reviewer since 2010

Exfoliation

Olay Regenerist Detoxifying Pore Scrub

Olay Regenerist Detoxifying Pore Scrub

Powered by Viewpoints

It’s important to remember to exfoliate, especially in the winter months. Many people think exfoliation is mainly a summer activity, since the skin is typically producing slightly more oil & sweat than in cooler months. But, it’s still important to exfoliate because the skin is always renewing itself (every 28 days). This means that dead skin cells could get trapped underneath the skin and lead to acne. To avoid this, remember to exfoliate all year round.

I like to use a gentle exfoliator with round beads. You might want to try Olay Regenerist Detoxifying Pore Scrub (85/100) as an exfoliator for your face. Priced at $10 for a 6.5 oz. tube, Viewpoints consumers describe it as gentle yet effective:

“I have tried a number of different Olay Regenerist products and this one works pretty well. It has small exfoliating beads in it so it seems to work in getting the dead skin cells off.  It seems to do a good job of cleaning my skin, taking off my makeup, and not leaving it stripped of moisture.” hello429, Reviewer since 2010

Fresh Brown Sugar Body Polish

Fresh Brown Sugar Body Polish

Powered by Viewpoints

We can’t forget about the body! To exfoliate your body, Viewpoints readers recommend Fresh Brown Sugar Body Polish (100/100). It’s a little pricier at $38 for a 7 oz. tub, but, with a perfect score, this is a sweet treat for your rough elbows and knees.

“Fresh brown sugar polish comes in a large jar which will last you months if not a year, depending how frequently you use it after a shower. It smells incredible – it leaves your smell smelling of lemon and brown sugar, and take away dry skin. The product is made out of natural oils and is better than using scrubs that are made of synthetic fragrances and products. Because it is a sugar base rather than a salt base, it does not burn if the skin is exessively dry or chapped. It is best used after exfoliating with a loofah or clarisonic, all over, so the oils can be absorbed well but it can also be used as an exfoliator, as the sugar crystals are fairly large and non-abrasive by themselves.” —PCLI, Reviewer since 2011

Other things to treat dry skin

Ok, I couldn’t limit myself to just three. There’s so much information to share with you! Some other things to consider when treating dry skin:

1. Do you have hard water? Consider purchasing a shower filter as this may help alleviate dry skin caused by hard water.

2. Does your home or office have dry heat? If so, consider a humidifier for your work space and/or bedroom.

I hope these tips help to add moisture and youthfulness to your skin this winter!

Jennifer Oseitutu Jennifer Oseitutu (12 Posts)

Jennifer Oseitutu is a recent graduate of the University of Chicago where she undertook studies in both Biological Sciences and Sociology. She has traveled abroad to Beijing, China and Accra, Ghana, taking note of the beauty culture in these areas. In addition, she wrote her senior thesis on skin bleaching in Ghana. Overall, she enjoys providing skin care information that goes beyond the cookie-cutter tips you find in magazines.