I have to admit that I am partial to Best Buy. At least, I am in some ways. I like to buy my laptops there because I prefer their insurance plans to the ones available at the Apple store. But I honestly don’t go there for anything else, especially not for Black Friday shopping. But that’s only because I don’t have the budget to buy a lot of tech. However, this year Best Buy Black Friday sales make typically bank-breaking items wallet friendly.
Doorbuster deals include all your technology essentials
Three waves of deals
This year Best Buy is opening its doors at 6 p.m. local time on Thanksgiving Day. But how does this affect doorbusters? Will they still have some for those of us who wait until Friday? The answer is yes. This year Best Buy will be having three waves of doorbusters:
- 6 p.m. Thanksgiving Day
- Midnight Friday
- 10 a.m. Friday morning
You can see the doorbuster deals for Thanksgiving Day and Friday morning online now, but the deals for midnight on Friday are “secret deals” and will not be available for you to see until 10 p.m. Thanksgiving Day, two hours before the sale starts.
Best deals of the day
Best Buy spokesperson Paula Baldwin said in a press release there are several deals that are really going to save shoppers money this year.
- 55” LG TVs: This HDTV will be available for $499.99 even though it is currently going for $749.99. This makes it is one of the few brand-name TVs that will be steeply discounted this year. And with LG TVs rated in the 90s Viewpoints.com, most reviewers say it is reliable, with great sound and color.
- 65” Samsung TV: If you have space for this TV you should check it out. This doorbuster deal has it going for $999.99, down from its original price of $1,399.99.
- Samsung Galaxy S4: This is one of the top-rated smartphones of the year, with a Viewpoints score of 94/100. This Black Friday, the Galaxy S4 is free with a new contract, instead of its usual price of $200-$250 depending on your phone carrier.
- Nikon Coolpix: If a camera is on your Christmas list, Best Buy is going to have this one for $129.99, which is regularly priced at $349.
“Tvs, smartphones and digital cameras have been our top sellers on Black Friday for the last several years, and were the most in-demand items during the whole Christmas season last year. We don’t expect this year to be any different. But these are doorbusters, so don’t expect them to last long,” Baldwin added in a follow-up phone interview.
Hottest item this year: Wearables
Best Buy predicts that the hottest items for this year are going to be wearables, but what exactly are they?
“Wearables are tech you can wear on your body. Like smart watches and the new sport activity trackers you can wear on your wrist,” Baldwin said.
One of these top wearable items is the Pebble Smart Watch you can sync with Android or Apple phones. What you do with it depends on what apps you put on it, but you can potentially control music, read texts, receive notifications or make notes in addition to telling the time. Another is the FitBit Flex, which tracks your activity and sleep and comes with a free app compatible to iPhone and Android.
Top five items under $100
Not everyone is lucky enough to get their hands on doorbusters and not everyone has the money to spend on them. In a press release, Paula revealed some of the best items that are going to be on sale for under $100.
- Insignia 24” TV: This size television is perfect for a college dorm or a bedroom and its price is nearly cut in half at $79.99. If you need a reliable TV for your teenager, college student or for a bedroom, Insignia TVs do have Viewpoints scores in the high 80s, the average being 88/100.
- Sony Wi-Fi Blu-ray player: Blu-ray players with Wi-Fi, allowing you to connect to the internet and stream Netflix or Pandora, usually go for over $100, but this black Friday, this Sony player’s price will be cut nearly 50 percent and sell for $54.99.
- iPhone 5c: If you need a new phone and contract, the brightly colored iPhone 5c will be available for $48 with a new, two-year contract. Still too new to have many reviews, Viewpoints reviewers have rated this phone at 91/100 so far.
- Kindle Fire HD: Not the newest generation of Kindle, but still a high-end piece of tech with high-scores, 94/100. This will be on sale for $99.99 Black Friday weekend only.
- iPod Nano: The seventh generation of iPod Nano will be discounted down to just under $100 this year, so if you are looking for a new mp3 player, now is the time to buy.
These are only a small sampling of the discounts at Best Buy this year. If you want to see more, check out the Black Friday ads online. One last thing to keep in mind when you shop is Best Buy has a 110 percent price-match guarantee, so if you are in line with that HDTV, check prices online and if you find one that is lower, show the cashier. Not only will Best Buy match the price, but you’ll get an additional 10 percent off.