Rahua Shampoo and Conditioner: Ignore the Organic Hype and Skip This Brand

VIDEO: Rahua oil is the latest craze in natural and organic hair care, but our expert stylist wasn’t impressed with Rahua shampoo.

This is the last of a series of articles I have been doing on natural and organic hair care products. Interestingly enough, it has proven difficult to find shampoo and conditioner that is certified 100 percent organic. Most of them are a hybrid of certified organic ingredients and naturally derived ingredients. This is the case with Rahua (ra-wa) shampoo and conditioner.

Ingredients

rahua-shampoo

Rahua Shampoo

Rahua’s star ingredient is rahua oil, which comes from the Amazon rain forest in Ecuador. Its founder is New York hair stylist Fabian Lliguin, a native Ecuadorian himself. Rahua oil is supposed to have a smaller molecular structure that allows it to penetrate the hair shaft for better absorption than other organic oils that tend to only coat the hair.

The rahua oil was pretty far down the list, leading me to think there isn’t much in the products. I also noticed both hydrolyzed wheat protein and oat protein in the ingredient list on both the shampoo and conditioner, so they are not gluten free. The website claimed to use quinoa instead of wheat, but the label definitely says wheat. Rahua is however a vegan line that contains no sulfates or parabens.

Technical Difficulties

I tried to go on the website for more information, but I couldn’t get the most commonly asked questions page to work. The ordering page worked just fine. The video embedded above didn’t work at first, but there is some interesting information about harvesting rahua oil.

I have to say that I respect companies that are trying to do the right thing by incorporating sustainability into their product line, and I am lured by the idea of organic and natural products. However, it is no guarantee that the product is going to work any better than a more commercially available line. That part is trial and error.

This line offers trial sizes, and I would recommend trying this size to make sure you love it before you invest in a larger size. It’s pretty pricey at $34 for a 9.3 oz bottle, so it’s worth going with the trial size before making the investment.

Not in love with Rahua hair care

Rahua Conditioner

Rahua Conditioner

I really did not like the shampoo or conditioner at all. I think I tend to fall in love with the potential or the idea of something rather than the reality of it. This was definitely the case with Rahua, I wanted to like it, but I just didn’t.

I think the packaging is fine, although nothing to write home about, very basic. I didn’t like the smell. I thought it smelled a bit medicinal, like tar-based shampoos (yuck). The fragrance comes from Palo Santo oil. It is a member of the frankincense botanical family except it comes from South America instead of the Middle East. Palo Santo oil is a spiritual oil that was used by the Incas to purify and cleanse the spirit from negative energies. It is available in its pure oil form in many health food and homeopathic stores.

I wish I could recommend this product, but I just didn’t like anything about it. I would probably tell my clients to just skip it altogether.

Have you used Rahua shampoo or conditioner? Do you disagree with our review? Drop us a line in the comments!

Rachel Leipzig Rachel Leipzig (30 Posts)

Rachel Leipzig has been styling hair in Chicago for 15 years, after relocating from New York City and opening a salon on Oak Street on Chicago’s Gold Coast. She is currently working at Sho Studio in Chicago. A specialist in makeovers, her television appearances include Oprah, ABC, and FOX. Leipzig’s work has also been featured in Allure, Chicago Social and Today’s Chicago Woman magazines.