Will You Be Busting Down the Door For Black Friday Sales On Thursday?

VIDEO: Whenever you head out to go shopping, please remember to be kind to your fellow shoppers and avoid the Black Friday shopping disasters.

I love shopping for a great deal as much as the next person, and Black Friday is certainly the time to find super sales, but I’m starting to see our favorite retailers in the news for not-so-great deals.

Black Friday 2013

The Black Friday 2013 sales have creeped into midnight door busters, and this year big-name stores are promising Thanksgiving Thursday sales starting at early at 6 p.m.

Thanksgiving Thursday 6 p.m.? I don’t know about you, but in my house, that’s prime nap time after the big meal. I don’t know if any deal could pry us off the couch after seconds and a plate of pie.

Then there’s the workers to consider. On one hand, maybe these retail workers are looking forward to the holiday overtime to help them budget for Christmas presents. But don’t they deserve to be home with their families on Thanksgiving, too?

In high school and college I worked at a clothing store in the mall and the time from Thanksgiving to Christmas was always our big money maker of the year. I never had to work on Thanksgiving Day, but I was required to work an overnight shift on Christmas night to completely restock the store with spring clothes (On December 25. That’s another complaint there.) It was a pain, but my family always does a big Christmas Eve, so I appreciated the extra holiday pay.

What do you think?

Are you going to be banging on the doors at 6 p.m. on Thursday? Or will you be snoozing and wishing retail workers could be at home taking naps, too?

Come back next week to check out Viewpoints Articles. We’ve been researching all the best Black Friday deals and will have advice for what NOT to buy, gift card deals and previews of hot sales at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Macy’s, Target and Abt Electronics.

Jennifer A. Freeman (73 Posts)

Jennifer A. Freeman is the content editor for Viewpoints. Reach out to her with story ideas or comments about Viewpoints.

• BS

I will not shop anywhere on Thanksgiving or that night or the next day, Black Friday. I would rather decorate my house for Christmas and shop when the crowds clear.