Searching For 100 Percent Organic Hair Products

organic hair products

Desert Essence promises organic hair products, but not all are 100 percent organic, like the Coconut shampoo and conditioner.

I’m still on my quest to find an organic shampoo and conditioner that I like enough for regular use. Finding 100 percent certified organic hair products proved to be more of a challenge than I thought it would be.

I found a lot of hybrid products, meaning a combination of “naturally derived” ingredients combined with organic ingredients. I found this to be a bit confusing since many of the products are found in the organic section of the store, and yet they are not all certified. Some contain organic ingredients, but not enough to be certified 100 percent organic. Confused yet? Many are 70 percent organic and 30 percent naturally derived ingredients, so make sure you look carefully at the label before you buy, and look for the NSF label on the front.

Dessert Essence Organic Hair Products

Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo

Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo

The Desert Essence hair care line includes a combination of organic and natural products. Some of its products, like the Lemon Tea Tree shampoo are certified organic by the NSF, and others, like the Coconut shampoo are not.

The Desert Essence line is 100 percent vegan, wheat and gluten free, and there are no parabens, sulfates, artificial colors, silicones, EDTA, glycol or petroleum-based ingredients. I recently had a client in the salon who brought her own shampoo with her because she is allergic to propylene glycol. This shampoo might work for her since it contains no glycol.

I love the smell of this product. The coconut smell took me right to the beach on a mini vacation. For a few minutes I was in the islands under a palm tree sipping a drink with a little umbrella in it—hey, a girl can dream.

I also liked the lather from the shampoo. Many shampoos now require the addition of water in order to get them to lather, especially the paraben and sulfate free formulas.

The conditioner has the same yummy smell as the shampoo, kind of like a pina colada. I needed a quarter size dollop to get the job done on my short blonde bob. Unfortunately, I still required a couple of squirts of a different detangler in order to comb through it.

In general, I liked this product and would like to try some of the other shampoos and conditioners in this line. I would recommend it to anyone with sensitivities to additives, but maybe not for highly processed or bleached hair. It’s great for guys and girls, and who wouldn’t want a quick trip to the beach in the middle of a long, cold winter, even if just for a few minutes?

Have you found a 100 percent organic shampoo and conditioner that you like? Tell me about it in the comments!

Rachel Leipzig Rachel Leipzig (30 Posts)

Rachel Leipzig has been styling hair in Chicago for 15 years, after relocating from New York City and opening a salon on Oak Street on Chicago’s Gold Coast. She is currently working at Sho Studio in Chicago. A specialist in makeovers, her television appearances include Oprah, ABC, and FOX. Leipzig’s work has also been featured in Allure, Chicago Social and Today’s Chicago Woman magazines.