Breville Smart Oven BOV800XL: “Best Overall” Convection Toaster Oven

Breville Toaster Oven BOV800XL

The Breville Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL: “I don’t think I’ve ever loved an appliance so much,” writes a reviewer in Iowa

Powered by Viewpoints

The Breville Smart Oven BOV800XL ($250) is one of those rare products that everyone — yes, everyone — strongly recommends. It has the distinction of being the highest-rated winner to date in the Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice awards. With its nearly perfect rating, the consumer love for this convection toaster oven is as strong as it gets.

Breville Smart Oven BOV800XL: “Best Overall”

Breville Smart Oven

Breville has sold a range of small kitchen appliances since 1932.

Breville specializes in small kitchen appliances. Its products tend to cost more – but with the high price, reviewers argue, comes a quality you won’t find in most appliances. It’s the more expensive and larger of the two toaster ovens that Breville markets as “The Smart Oven.” (The smaller, the Breville Compact Smart Oven Toaster Oven BOV650XL ($180), also wins a Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice award as “Best Overall” basic toaster oven). At $250, this toaster oven may be out of reach for many families, but don’t let the price stop you from looking over this exceptional product.

What users like most

The quality is instantly evident to people who buy the Breville Smart Oven BOV800XL – or those who are lucky enough to receive one as a gift. One California reviewer writes that “you can tell there’s been a great deal of thought (given) the making of this toaster oven.” Another appreciates that it’s so intuitive that her young son can use it safely:

“I compared and read reviews for days before deciding on this one. Let me tell you, it was the best decision I could have made. For starters, I have an 11-year-old son who needed to find some independence and have the ability to cook his own food while I’m working. I wasn’t ready for him to use the full oven or stove top. The Breville Toaster Oven was my answer.”IowaJen, Des Moines, IA, Reviewer since 2009

The oven is ‘smart’ because it takes the guesswork out of timing. You can preset the oven for: toast, bagel, bake, roast, broil, pizza, cookies, and reheat. It has a pull-out crumb tray for cleaning.

Breville

The Breville full-size Smart Oven can bake a pizza up to 13″

Did we mention that reviewers recommend this oven? Wow, do they ever!

“I would advise anyone looking for a counter-top oven to BUY THIS OVEN!! It is as smart as the name implies. If I want to toast a bagel, I just put the oven on Bagel mode & choose the darkness I desire & Voila!!! Done to perfection! I do not see anything about this oven that I do not love. It has replaced our conventional oven….I do not see a need for the large oven anymore.”LuAnnMarie, Webster, WI, Reviewer since 2011

“This Breville Convection Oven is AWESOME!! … You can cook an entire pizza in it in less time than it takes the big oven to pre-heat! It’s great for small quick jobs like toast, but works just as well with frozen foods. It’s extremely easy to use.” JediMomHeather, San Antonio, TX, Reviewer since 2011

What to know

The Breville Smart Oven BOV800XL is larger than your average toaster oven. It takes up quite a bit of counter space. And, as mentioned, it’s expensive, but another happy reviewer echoes the universal opinion: “It’s worth it! I think we’ll have this for years to come!”

For a budget-friendly convection toaster oven option, check out reviews of the Black and Decker CTO7100B Convection Toast-R-Oven with Rotisserie ($100). This toaster oven wins our “Best Value” award. Viewpoints previously has recognized the best blenders, bread machines, slow cookers and waffle makers on the market.

Viewpoints Reviewers' Choice award

The Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice awards recognize exceptional consumer products, as judged by reviewers.

About Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice awards

The Viewpoints Reviewers’ Choice awards honor those products that positively delight consumers.

The Reviewers’ Choice winners are based solely on the opinions of you, the reviewer. The top awards are ‘Best Overall’ (most popular) and ‘Best Value’ (a bargain). We invite you to check out our list of all four winning toaster ovens. You’ll also see the Reviewers’ Choice badge on the pages of award-winning products throughout Viewpoints. Click on the badge (left) for more information about the judging process and why the award is special.

Carol Fowler Carol Fowler (53 Posts)

Carol's background is broadcast journalism, and for nearly two years, she led the content team at Viewpoints. In 2014, Carol co-founded Queue Digital to help news organizations leverage the explosion in mobile to grow a new audience for their awesome content.

• Oj

Sounds really good. What are measurements?