VIDEO: Conair Curl Secret—Automatic Curling Iron Works Better Than Expected

VIDEO: Our expert stylist demonstrates exactly how the Conair Curl Secret works.

One sleepless night I saw an infomercial for a the Conair Infiniti Pro Curl Secret. This curling iron curls hair by drawing it into a compartment and twirling it around an inner ‘iron’ inside the chamber. So naturally I was intrigued and had to have it. After 25+ years of doing hair I had never seen anything quite like this—and I have seen some pretty crazy contraptions.

Curl Secret

Conair Infiniti Pro Curl Secret

Not to be confused with another product I saw recently, an attachment for a hairdryer that looks kind of like a blender, this an independent tool all by itself. I tend to burn myself frequently in the salon when using curling irons, and this seemed like a possible solution to that problem.

I also thought it might be easier to use on yourself than a traditional curling iron. When I curl my own hair I sometimes turn the curling iron in the wrong direction and get the dreaded kink or fish tail that is almost impossible to get out once its in there. So what’s a girl to do?

I decided to give the Curl Secret a shot and found some willing victims for my mad science experiment. I tried it on two different hair types: One with medium/fine shoulder-length hair, and one with long, heavy hair, and by heavy, I mean enough hair for 3 people.

I started with the shorter, shoulder-length hair and had a little bit of a learning curve at first, but I got the hang of it after a few tries.

Using the Conair Curl Secret

The Curl Secret curler made me a little nervous the first time it pulled the hair into the inner chamber (I think I might have held my breath for a few seconds), but lo and behold, out came a curl. I used the lowest heat setting for the shoulder-length hair, and the result was a loose wave. I wondered if this curl would have much longevity. On the longer, heavier hair I used the highest heat setting and the result was very pretty. After letting the curls cool down for about 15 minutes we finger combed out the wave and she was very pleased with the results.

There is a front side and a back side to this tool, and you must have the correct side facing toward the head. There are two heat settings: high and low. You use the lower setting for a looser wave and the higher one for a tighter curl. There are also three timer settings. The lowest is best for looser wave and also finer hair. The medium is going to give a bit more curl and the highest would be best for harder-to-curl hair or hair that is longer. You also may start your curl half way down the hair shaft if you are looking for curl only at the ends.

Conair Curl Secret Safety

One of my favorite features of this hair tool is that the unit stops automatically if it senses the hair tangling, and releases it. Since this was my biggest fear with using Curl Secret I was happy to see this.

The other feature I really liked is the automatic shut off. It will drop to 150 degrees after 20 minutes of idle time and shut off entirely after 60 minutes. This is useful if you tend to forget to shut your irons off after using them (guilty as charged).

There is a timing system built in so it is a no brainer. You set the timer to one of three settings before you start. The unit beeps while it is working, and a series of four consecutive beeps alerts you when the curl is ready.

A limited amount of hair will fit inside the chamber—I found it to be about one square inch. You must keep your sections as even and smooth as possible. I thought that the best results were on the high heat setting and the longest time setting.

The curls are best when allowed to cool and then finger combed out. The other thing I noticed is that all of the curls spiral in the same direction, this tool does not reverse direction. When I use irons in the salon, I will change the direction of the curl from one side of the head to the other and I also will vary the direction to give a more natural look, or to curl all of the hair away from the face. You will not be able to change curl direction with this tool. All curls spiral to the right.

Overall, I was surprised to find that the Curl Secret worked better than expected. I thought it was easy to use, but you must read the directions before you begin. There is a small learning curve at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty easy and user friendly. I would recommend this to anyone who has a hard time with traditional curling irons, but the caveat is that you need at least six inches of hair.

Happy curling!

Rachel Leipzig Rachel Leipzig (30 Posts)

Rachel Leipzig has been styling hair in Chicago for 15 years, after relocating from New York City and opening a salon on Oak Street on Chicago’s Gold Coast. She is currently working at Sho Studio in Chicago. A specialist in makeovers, her television appearances include Oprah, ABC, and FOX. Leipzig’s work has also been featured in Allure, Chicago Social and Today’s Chicago Woman magazines.

• rabbiejacket

I was up late one night and watched the infomerical . I researched online a little , saw a YouTube video demonstrating the Curl Secret. I bought one and I love it. I recommend it highly.

• disconsolatechimera

I almost didn’t watch the video, but I’m glad I did. Seeing how the curler “sucks” the hair in makes all the difference to me as to whether I’d be willing to try this on myself! It looks really easy, actually, especially for someone like me with some physical limitations in my arms that make me not able to use a regular curling iron. I just may have to get one of these!

• sharon

what about short,gray hair??

• Rachel Leipzig

Sharon, You would need at least 6 inches of hair to get it into the chamber. The color of your hair shouldnt matter at all.