Avalon Organics Hair Care: Vegan, But Not Gluten Free

avalon organics.

Just because a shampoo claims it’s organic doesn’t mean it is 100 percent organic or gluten free. Such is the case with Avalon Organics.

I have been wanting to blog about organic hair care for some time, but finding truly 100 percent organic hair care products proved to be a bit more challenging than I expected. There are many products that claim to be “natural,” however this does not mean that they are certified 100 percent organic. There are many that are a combination of the two. This is the case with Avalon Organics.

Organic hair care labels

The Avalon Organics line is 70 percent organic and 30 percent naturally derived. There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the terminology. The term “natural” by itself doesn’t really mean anything. “Naturally derived” means that a percentage of the ingredients have been extracted from natural resources. In order for a product to be legitimately organic, it must be labeled as such by the American National Standard. The logo looks like a little circle with a leaf in the center. This label will be displayed prominently on the front label of the product. If you don’t see this label it isn’t really organic, so don’t be fooled by products claiming to be.

Avalon Organics is vegan and certified 70 percent organic by the American National Standard for personal care products.These are great products for anyone who is looking for safe, natural hair care without synthetic fragrances, preservatives, sulfates or parabens. The organic ingredients include:

• Aloe
  • Citrus Oil
Avalon Organics Lavender Nourishing Shampoo

Avalon Organics Lavender Nourishing Shampoo

Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Hair Care

I decided to try the Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender shampoo and conditioner. I tried it on several clients in the salon and then took it home to try it on myself for a week. We all loved the smell of lavender, chamomile and citrus. The packaging is attractive and made with 100 percent recycled material. The shampoo is a little thinner than most and came out of the bottle quickly. Many of the sulfate and paraben-free shampoos are thick and require the addition of water to lather up, this is not one of them.

The conditioner is thicker, but my highlighted blonde hair required two applications to get a comb through afterwards. I could feel the wheat protein in this product in my hair when I blew it dry. It had more body and was fuller, but did not have the shine I was hoping for. Wheat protein is added to many hair products for body and also for viscosity. It is not gluten free. If you are gluten intolerant, you may want to try something else.

I liked this line as much as I could, considering that I am not generally a huge fan of organic hair care lines. This may be due to the fact that I have never tried one that has floored me. I find that I enjoy the fragrance and the idea of it being organic more than I actually like the results that I get on the hair. I would recommend this line for hair that is not excessively chemically processed and I think it is better for finer unprocessed hair.

Rachel Leipzig Rachel Leipzig (30 Posts)

Rachel Leipzig has been styling hair in Chicago for 15 years, after relocating from New York City and opening a salon on Oak Street on Chicago’s Gold Coast. She is currently working at Sho Studio in Chicago. A specialist in makeovers, her television appearances include Oprah, ABC, and FOX. Leipzig’s work has also been featured in Allure, Chicago Social and Today’s Chicago Woman magazines.