Try WEN Cleansing Conditioner But Avoid Subscription

WEN cleansing conditioner

Our professional stylist says WEN cleansing conditioner is better than most dual shampoo conditioners, but still not for everyone.

Product: WEN Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner
Viewpoints Score: 73/100
Est. Price: $50 for 16 fl. Oz.
Best for: Dry and long hair

WEN Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

WEN Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

Powered by Viewpoints

I have wanted to try WEN hair products for some time. I have seen the cleansing conditioner advertised on television and was curious if it would live up to all the expectations I had for it. After all, who doesn’t want beautiful, shiny hair with bounce? I had no preconceived ideas about it other than the fact that I have never tried a shampoo/conditioner hybrid product that I thought worked very well. Nevertheless, I wanted to give it a try.

I like the smell; it has a sweet, minty fragrance. Even though I tried the “Almond Mint” scent, I don’t think it smells like almond at all. There are almond glycerides in the formula, but you don’t smell it. It is mentholated, but it does not tingle on the scalp when you apply it like many mentholated products do.

I read the directions several times before using it, and it seemed like a lot of product to use compared to traditional shampoos. While I heard you need to follow the directions exactly, I found that I did not need as much product as was recommended.

When using it, you realize that it is different from traditional shampoos or conditioners, because it doesn’t lather at all. I tried it on many different hair types in the salon as well as on myself. It was fine when used once, however repetitive daily use seem to cause some sort of build up in the hair, especially at the scalp. I checked the ingredient list and found emulsifying wax. I test and blog about shampoos and conditioners a lot and have never seen this ingredient before. Could this be the culprit? I think most likely.

There are a lot of mixed reviews online regarding this product. Either people love it or they hate it. I was concerned that there seem to be some complaints of hair loss with this product with long-term use. Also, I’ve seen many complaints about Guthy-Renker, the company WEN partnered with to manage online ordering and customer service (it’s the same company that handles customer service for ProActiv).

When you order you are automatically signed up to receive deliveries of the product every 4 weeks, like a subscription. The problems arise when you try to cancel the subscription or try to get your money back. You are better off ordering through Amazon, QVC, or buy it at Sephora so you don’t get caught up in a subscription trap if you are unhappy.

PROS

WEN seems to have an almost cult-like following and many people love it. I would recommend trying it for yourself and make your own call if it works for your hair. It’s sold in a travel size so you can try it before you marry it. As a professional stylist, I liked it best on dryer, thicker and coarser textured hair than on fine, thin or oily hair. I also liked it better on long hair than short.

CONS

I wouldn’t try to order this product online based on the plethora of bad customer service reviews. The other thing that bothered me was the amount of people who are claiming hair loss from this product. I would say that you should use common sense and if you have any kind of negative reaction, stop using it immediately.

To sum it all up, I liked it enough to recommend trying it. I would buy a small size to start because you will know in a few days if it is meant for you or not. Do not order online. Get it from QVC or Sephora. There are other shampoo and conditioner products available from WEN you may try that may suit your hair better than the Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner.

I felt that this product is not for me as I have very fine blond hair, but I would recommend it to a friend who has very dry long hair, or someone who is suffering from extreme chemical damage from over processing. WEN is not inexpensive, but having a good hair day is priceless.

Rachel Leipzig Rachel Leipzig (30 Posts)

Rachel Leipzig has been styling hair in Chicago for 15 years, after relocating from New York City and opening a salon on Oak Street on Chicago’s Gold Coast. She is currently working at Sho Studio in Chicago. A specialist in makeovers, her television appearances include Oprah, ABC, and FOX. Leipzig’s work has also been featured in Allure, Chicago Social and Today’s Chicago Woman magazines.

• shanae simmon

qvc is online you know. you can also buy it from Rickys.

• Sally

I purchased Wen after seeing a commercial on T.V. They charged my card and I ended up paying $150.00 for a 3 months supply. I was not happy with the product it dried my hair and made it frizz. So canceled, I gave a bottle to my daughter to try to see if she liked it and she had the same results! $150.00 for dry hair, I would not recommend the product to anyone, it’s a rip off! I also purchased some multi Vitamins at the same time I ordered the wen product, which they offer also…. and that was also a rip off… So I returned the bottles and was able to get a refund for that. Thank God…

• klynn1964

I tried WEN and got the horrile build up on my scalp. It was gross. Maybe to use a couple times a week would be good but not every time you shampoo. Very disapointed and the cost is way out of line.

• Joyce

Also, I buy from QVC and get good deals there.

• Joyce

I only use WEN now that I’ve tried it. And I buy it for my daughter too. My hair stylist asked me what I did to my hair because the condition had improved so much. And I can see new hair growing in. My hair became so thin but with using WEN, it’s getting thicker. I’ll use nothing else.

• Peachess Wny

I tried WEN a very long time ago & loved it. I have read from many other reviews that it made their hair either greasy or over dry. I never had a problem with it making my hair anything but clean and soft. What I couldn’t stand about using WEN was the ridiculous cost! I’ve been a Licensed Cos for 30+ yrs & I can get my hands on anything from the cheapest drug store items to the Professional only products. So if I could get a Pro discount on WEN…I would probably still be using it but, there isn’t one. After doing much research & trying a lot of products that are also Sulfate-Free, to find a compatible product to WEN, I tried Hair-One. It is a Sulfate-Free Cleansing Conditioner & you use it the same way you would use WEN. The only difference is…the price! I purchase this product by the largest size that is available 1 litter pump bottle for under $25. I have very long hair…just 3″ shy of my waist & it is highlighted. I also spend a great deal of time with my hair in a helmet and tied back while riding on a motorcycle from spring thru the late fall months & I blow-dry and flat iron my hair every few days all yr long. I have been using Hair-One for years now & have no complaints at all. I have very little hair shedding or breakage. My highlights stay true to color. I don’t get the fading & color stripping that would come from regular shampoo’s with Sulfate. As a Licensed Pro I have highly recommend this product to anyone who wants the benefits of Sulfate-Free for their hair, without having to pay a fortune to get those great results.

• Julie M

I never tried Wen, but Sally Beauty stores has their own MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE version of the product. I used that a few times and I like it, but am much happier with a traditional shampoo and conditioner. Thanks for the very in-depth review!

• quirkywinona

My mom gave me some Wen she had bought from QVC, and I loved it at first (using way less than they recommend for my chin-length hair), but you’re right: after a while it made my hair greasy, and I found I had to use a regular shampoo every few weeks to fully cleanse. I have figured out what works best for me: L’oreal’s EverStrong sulfate-free shampoo, and then 1 to 1 1/2 pumps of the Wen used as a conditioner. I’m almost out and was terrified to have to sign up for a subscription, so I’m happy to know I can get it from Amazon or Sephora.

• Shelley

I love WEN and have been using it for many years. If you have dandruff issues the Tea Tree is a must!! I tried everything on the market and had actually stopped wearing black until I found this. At first I wasn’t sure and stopped using it but so glad that I went back to it. I have thick hair that I get cut annually. I let it grow and get the 8in ponytail cut off every year, so I go from long to short and back again. I have only ever ordered it from QVC.

• Mickie

I’ve used the product and wasn’t crazy about the smell. I also didn’t smell any almond in the formula. I only use this product occasionally on and off with my other better products. I’m waiting to finish the bottles and not order again.

• Claire Pool Blackburn

I love Wen! I have been using it for close to 2.5 yrs. I had to play with the amount of product I used. The directions call for a lot more than I need. I have not had any problems with the subscription either. I have mine set for every 24 weeks. So I never get over stocked and I am in control if my shipments. I always call and order another shipment of 2 bottles when I get down to 2. Living in Alaska it takes 3 weeks for my shipment to arrive. I found that I need to be firm with them at first but no problems now! Love it!!!

• slickghh

I like the product but I don’t like the fact they started to send automatic shipments and charged my account. Oh you can stop it any time but I don’t like automatic shipments of anything I want to be in control of my purchases and how often I make them.

• penny0314

I’m glad to read the warning that it’s mentholated. As someone completely unable to tolerate menthol (and mint and eucalyptus) on my skin, it would be a nightmare to shampoo with it. I’d be screaming and using Dawn to get it out of my hair and off my skin!! For many people, these are delightful substances, but for some of us, it leaves us frantic to crawl out of our skin!

• http://www.jeremyandamywade.blogspot.com auflag

I’m allergic to menthol too. I would be miserable if I shampooed with that.

• Rachel Leipzig

Penny,
      I didnt detect any stinging or burning from this product, however if you have any kind of reaction or allergies to mentholated products you should avoid them.

Rachel Leipzig

• C E

Great review. I’ve always been curious to try this out. I am Dominican and have relaxed hair. It seems as though it would work well in my hair. Any Dominicans with relaxed hair who have tried this?

• Becky Adams

Thanks for the insightful review. I have been wondering if it stands up to claims. I have short fine hair, not damaged or frizzy, so sounds unnecessary for me and I am glad you tried it out on several hair types before I tried it out!