Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper: A Wallet-Friendly Memory Foam Option

Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper: A Wallet Friendly Memory Foam Option

Tempur-Pedic memory foam mattresses can be expensive, but its memory foam mattress topper is an alternative that won’t break the bank.

Replacing a mattress can be expensive, especially if you’re in the market for a memory foam mattress. The Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper is a thin layer of memory foam designed to be used on top of either a memory foam or innerspring mattress in order to provide more comfort and support. In addition to being cheaper than the cost of a new mattress, this topper is one of the top-rated mattress toppers on Viewpoints. But is the Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper really worth all the hype? According to an overwhelming number of reviews, it is.

Powered by Viewpoints

With a Viewpoints score of 88/100, the Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper rates higher than many mattresses on Viewpoints, the average rating being 75/100. And, with the average cost of a low-end, queen memory foam mattress set being anywhere between $500-$1000, the Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper going for $399 for a queen can save money. But that isn’t the only reason to invest in this mattress topper.

What is memory foam?

Memory foam is composed, primarily, of polyurethane. There are high and low-density memory foam mattresses. The higher-density mattresses soften in response to heat, and the lower-density mattresses soften in response to pressure. Tempur-Pedic mattresses and mattress toppers are high-density memory foam. Like most memory foam mattresses, the average Tempur-Pedic mattress, such as the Tempur-Cloud, is not completely made of memory foam. The top layer, about two inches thick, of the mattress is made of memory foam, while the rest is composed of soft, orthopedic foam, or just normal foam. As the amount of memory foam increases from mattress line to mattress line, the price of the mattress increases as well.

The Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper is 3 inches thick, and is composed entirely of memory foam. It is also more functional than your average mattress, since it is more portable, while still working to support your back, neck and hips, and extending the comfort of your bed.

Improves and extends the life of your mattress

Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper

The Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper is only 3 inches thick but can still make your old mattress last longer.

The Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper is a good option for those who wish to upgrade their old mattress but can’t afford a high-quality mattress, since it allows you to extend the life old one.

“My husband and I have had our current pillow top mattress for over 12 years and would really like to upgrade… Our mattress was starting to have those indentations where one could only sleep in those positions whether we wanted to or not. Well one day, I saw a sale on Overstock.com and decided to give the Tempur-Pedic a whirl… The first night we felt the difference. We have now had it over two years and still love it.” SavvySonoran, Reviewer since 2010

Can turn a bad mattress into a good one

Buying a new mattress can be expensive, but this memory foam mattress topper can turn an uncomfortable and lumpy bed into a mattress that allows you to sleep through the night.

“It turned [our] lumpy hide-a-bed into a comfy guest bed. We liked the topper so much that we have moved it to our bed when the hide-a-bed isn’t in use. We also go out to my dad’s lake and borrow a trailer while we are there. The trailer bed is so uncomfortable we were sleeping on the couches. Now we just roll the topper up, load it in the van and toss it on the trailer bed for a great sleep.” Coops12, Reviewer since 2010

Helps alleviate back and neck pain

Woman With Neck Pain

A bad mattress can contribute to neck and back pain, but a good mattress can help alleviate preexisting pain.

The Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper doesn’t lose its shape like memory foam mattresses can, allowing it to provide both back and neck support.

“The foam contours to the body and is perfect for hip, back and joint pain. The mattress helps me relieve my pressure points and distributes my weight evenly throughout the night. For years I would toss and turn all night and wake up with the worst back and hip pain ever. Since I have had the mattress topper I rarely toss and wake up with back or hip pain.” jap2181, Reviewer since 2010

“[I] have had surgery, and even as bad as I hurt, this takes away the pain and lets me rest without any discomfort. I think it helps ease aches and pains, my husband has an aching back and he sleeps great on this also.” makerams, Reviewer since 2011

Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper isn’t perfect

The Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper isn’t always as well received as it was by these satisfied customers, though. Some found the memory foam mattress topper to be too hot and too heavy, amongst other things.

“My husband is a profuse night sweater. So his side of the mattress topper has essentially become a sponge for his sweat. I Febreeze the mattress topper every time I change sheets, (once weekly) but his side is still musty smelling and stained. It grosses me out that the topper looks like it does and smells like it does.” colemama, Reviewer since 2010

Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper

The cover on the Tempur Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper is supposed to keep it from slipping off the bed, and is machine-washable

“The Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper was a complete waste of money overall. I originally purchased it for helping my back pain but ended up with more in the long run trying to lift the beast. It smelled horrible after opening and lingered in the bedroom for a few days after. I gave it a 30 day test and was ready to throw it out after a week. It kept slipping off the bed so I had to reposition it every morning.” AlaskaCC, Reviewer since 2011

A wallet-friendly memory foam mattress alternative

If you’re considering buying a new mattress, particularly a memory foam one, you might want to consider the Tempur-Pedic Memory Foam Mattress Topper as an alternative. With the ability to sooth back pain, and provide comfort and support, this mattress topper can save you thousands of dollars by extending the life of your current mattress. Like any mattress, this topper isn’t for everyone. But it could be a good option for those who already know they prefer memory foam. Just be sure to have help bringing it home, since it is heavy, and give it time to air out before sleeping on it.

Allegra Pusateri Allegra Pusateri (70 Posts)

Allegra Pusateri is an intern at Viewpoints. She recently graduated from DePaul University with a B.A. in English and Creative Writing.