Vitamix vs Blender – Is it Really Worth the Price?

Cooking with a Vitamix

Follow the Vitamix recipe for a quick smoothie with no need to chop or prep ingredients.

Of all the kitchen appliances in my home, one of the least frequently used is my Oster 16-Speed Blender. It sits gathering dust because, quite frankly, when making frozen beverages, it isn’t always the easiest task. I’ve noticed that the thicker or harder the ingredients (ice cream and ice) the more I need to get into the jar with a spoon and help things along. I keep thinking, “Wait, isn’t the blender supposed to do all of the work?” Here’s where I start thinking about Vitamix vs blender, and if an upgrade to a Vitamix is worth the cost.

I’ve read Vitamix blender reviews and heard positive things about its performance from friends, but I always wondered whether it really lives up to all of the hype. After all, isn’t a blender just a blender? How amazing can a blender truly be? And, wouldn’t it be foolish to spend between $450 and $1,000 on a blender?

Powered by Viewpoints

So, when I had an opportunity to try the Vitamix Professional Series 750 Blender and go head to head against my Oster, my curiosity was piqued.

With the Oster 16-Speed Blender in one corner of my kitchen and the Vitamix Professional Series 750 in the other it was game on.

Vitamix vs Blender

Round 1: Milkshakes

Milkshakes are easy, right? All you need is a little ice cream, some milk and chocolate syrup. True to form, with my Oster, I had to jiggle the jar and stick a wooden spoon into the jar to get all of the ingredients to meld together. With the Vitamix, I simply started at speed variable 1 and slowly increased the speed to 4. No need to help things along with the Vitamix.

Round 2: Smoothies

Next test: a smoothie with chunks of ice. I love my smoothies nice and cold, which means lots of ice, juice, yogurt and fresh fruit. My Oster made me wish that I hadn’t even attempted a smoothie. After 60 – 90 seconds of the motor grinding away I could smell it burning. I had to remove the jar from the stand and tap it on the counter several times just to get the ingredients to move around. Frustrating.

What about the Vitamix? Well, in all fairness, chopping ice isn’t the easiest of tasks. I did use the plastic tamper (which comes with the Vitamix and is easily inserted through a hole in the lid) to help things along, but I did not need to remove the jar from the base. I set the Vitamix to the pre-programmed smoothie setting and within 30 seconds it was perfectly blended.

Round 3: Gazpacho soup

I’d just been to the farmer’s market and stocked up on fresh tomatoes, red onion, celery, cucumber and parsley. Aside from washing the vegetables, quartering the tomatoes and onion, and peeling the cucumber, I did very little prep. Into the Vitamix went a cup of tomato juice, some olive oil and big chunks of fresh vegetables. Within 60 seconds I had deliciously blended gazpacho soup. What about the Oster? Well, lets just say that those large chunks of vegetables ultimately had to be pulled from the blender jar and chopped more by hand before the Oster would break them down even further.

We have a Winner

The end result: It was a knock out. The Oster and the Vitamix weren’t evenly matched. The Vitamix outperformed every time. And, to add insult to injury, the Vitamix was much, much easier to clean than my Oster.

Every time I use my Oster, the base of the jar needs to be disassembled, washed piece by piece, thoroughly dried and then reassembled before the next use. The Vitamix jar just needs to be filled half way with water and a squirt of dish soap. Place the jar back on the motor and run it for 20 seconds. All of the food residue is instantly removed from the sides of the jar. Now, just rinse and you are ready to move on to your next cooking adventure.

Editor’s note: Viewpoints received a sample from Vitamix for the purposes of this review, which returns to Vitamix after our testing.

Amanda Bryant (56 Posts)

Amanda Bryant is a design professional with an interest and expertise in products for the home and office. She is founder and principal of HangItUp Chicago, a fine art rental business partnering exclusively with Chicago-area companies.