National Car Rental: Good Quality, Great Prices

national-car-rental-online-booking-online-reserve

One of the top-rated car rental companies on Viewpoints, National Car Rental is an environmentally friendly company, claiming to offer the “largest fuel-efficient fleet in the industry.”

With a Viewpoints score (48/100 based on 43 reviews) that is eight points above the average rental car company National Car Rental is one of the top-rated car rental companies on Viewpoints. According to National Car Rental reviews, its quality vehicles and affordable prices make National Car Rental a great travel choice.

national car rental logo national car rental reviews

Since 1947, National Car Rental has opened more than 2,000 locations across the world.

About National Car Rental

One of the most Internet savvy car rental companies today, National Car Rental offers online discounts and specials and has partnered with online travel websites like Priceline to offer deals to renters who book their cars online. Online rental car books have the opportunity to bypass waiting at the rental counter and the chance to pick their own cars off the lot. National Car Rental’s Emerald Club, designed for frequent travelers and business men and women, allows renters to earn free upgrades and even free rentals.

Pros

Great rental cars

When renting a car, many customers worry about vehicle quality. According to National Car Rental reviews, this company has reliable, late model cars at a great value.

“I rent from National almost every time I rent (which is about 4 or 5 times per year).  They always have newer cars with good selection.In my opinion, National offers the best mix of time savings, reliable vehicles and competitive pricing.” - roaddawg0237, Reviewer since 2009

“I’ve had quite a few chances (about 5-10 times, can’t remember exactly) to rent cars from them and have been pleased. The cars were clean, new, roomy, we had quite a few choices to pick from (even free upgrade sometimes), polite and helpful costumer service, the prices were reasonable.” - nygirl25, Reviewer since 2012

Affordable options

national car rental reviews

National Car Rental offers easy online rental reservations.

Reviewers also have great things to say about National Car Rental’s prices.

“National was the lowest rate we could find so we made a reservation.  Upon check-in we had great customer service.  The car we drove was in excellent condition, clean, had very few miles on it and we got great gas mileage! ” – Karebear22, Reviewer since 2008

“National Car Rental was the best part of our whole trip.  I purchased this rental online the night before our travel plans.  The car was in excellent condition and enjoyed it more than our own vehicle.  Even the mileage was included with the cost.” - homeschoolmom2008, Reviewer since 2008

Cons

So-so customer service

Reviewers who were unhappy with their National Car Rental experiences mainly had negative things to say about customer service.

“During my customer service experience I was transferred 3 times, then put on hold for 10 minutes, then while on hold I was hung up on, and eventually told I couldn’t be helped. When I called back,  I was clearly speaking to the person I explained my issue to that had hung up on me.” - frequentlytravels, Reviewer since 2009

Why such a low score?

When it comes to car rental reviews, there’s no such thing as a terrific score. The best-rated car rental company on Viewpoints is Enterprise with a score of only 54/100 (based on 330 reviews). Keep in mind when you’re renting that customer experience varies based on location. National Car Rental has high quality vehicles and easy online-booking – two factors that won’t change based on your city.

Editor’s note: If you have professional experience with rental cars, Viewpoints is recruiting experts in priority product categories to write for our blog. Check out this overview of the Viewpoints Category Expert Program, including qualifications, compensation and how to apply.

Amber Rambharose Amber Rambharose (50 Posts)

Amber Rambharose is a former writing intern at Viewpoints. She graduated from Hollins University with a B.A. in English Literature and is continuing her studies at the University of Cincinnati.