Back-To-School List: Bath and Body Essentials

shower-bath-beauty

Cut down on your back-to-school list by purchasing bath and shower products that are long-lasting.

When it comes to bath and shower products, there’s a specialized option for everyone, but in a college or dorm setting, too many bottles can take up space you don’t have to spare. Whether you’re looking to save or splurge, we’ve got the products that will save you space and money  this semester. Before you head back to school, make sure you check off every one of these dorm essentials off your back-to-school list

Buy big

shampoo and conditioner

A moisturizing shampoo and conditioner duo
works wonders on stressed out hair.

Whether your favorite shampoo and conditioner are salon or drugstore brands, buying bigger saves money. Look for these two moisture-rich shampoos in large bottles.

Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Smoothing Shampoo, approx. $5 for 28 oz (96/100 based on 8 reviews)

“It has gotten rid of all my frizz. It’s helped repaired my damaged hair. My hair is now smoother, sleeker, and shinier. I have tried MANY different products to help me with these issues. None have helped as much as this product.” - china-cat84Reviewer since 2008

“I can’t believe the price tag on this shampoo. I would expect to pay way more for such a great product. I have paid way more for products that don’t even come close. This stuff leaves your your hair silky soft and frizz free. It smells lovely. I can’t say anything negative about it.” – AliceAlonsoCribbs, Reviewer since 2011

Splurge

Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo, approx $20 for 33.8 ounces (92/100 based on 69 reviews)

I fell in love with this Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo because it not only helped my hair heal in the damaged ends but gave me a lot of shine and style. If you feel your hair is looking dull or dry, this is perfect. It adds a lot of moisture and hydration to your hair and won’t weigh it down.” - stef42678, Reviewer since 2007

“You need to look no further than Biolage Ulta-Hydrating Shampoo if you have dry or damaged hair. This shampoo moisturizes your hair and puts shine back in and with only a few shampoos you can tell the difference. This shampoo also does not dry your scalp and you will not have any flakiness after using this hydrating shampoo. ” - JanHill, Reviewer since 2009

Make moisturizer work double time

body lotion and body butter

These body lotions are long-lasting but not thick and greasy.

Moisturizing is must for healthy skin, especially after a hot shower. If you use a long-lasting moisturizer, you won’t have to reapply throughout the day (great news for students who are always on the go).

Yes to Carrots Deliciously Rich Body Butter, approx. $11 for 8.45 oz (89/100 based on 34 reviews)

“I can not rave enough about Yes to Carrots Body Butter. It is fabulous for anyone with normal to dry skin who needs a skin lotion that leaves skin moisturized all day long and makes it lose that prune look.” – Caprig, Reviewer since 2008

“Finally I found a cream that my skin wouldn’t just drink up and leave my body asking for more moments later. It left my skin feeling so silky and smooth all day long. I loved the light, clean scent and adored the gorgeous ingredients list.” - xenira, Reviewer since 2010

Splurge

L’Occitane Shea Butter Body Lotion, approx. $30 for 8.4 oz (100/100 based on 7 reviews)

“You can tell when you are putting it on that it is a quality, rich moisturizer – it does not feel like it has a watery consistency that so many hand and body lotions available today seem to have.  And a little bit goes a long way – because it is thick, you can use a small amount to cover and moisturize your body.” – louwho925, Reviewer since 2010

“Use this lotion just once and you will be hooked. It leaves your skin so soft, but not greesey.  The lotion also lasts a long time since you do not need very much of it, it goes along way.” – bigdaddy12345, Reviewer since 2009

Think outside your skin type

facial cleansers

While you may be used to buying a face wash tailored to suit your skin type (oily, dry, combination, etc.), the same skin care rules don’t apply in college.

With additional stress, changes in your living environment and changes in your eating habits, you can be sure your skin will be going through some major changes, too. Do your face a favor and shop for a facial cleanser that is suited for all skin types.

Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel, approx. $7 for 5 oz. (95/100 based on 14 reviews; Voted best for Sensitive Skin, Dry Skin, Oily Skin and Combination Skin)

“It’s super lightweight, but still leaves skin clean. It doesn’t dry my skin out thereby prompting more oil production, and it doesn’t leave any sticky, greasy residue behind. It’s easy and gentle even on sensitive skin.” - twirl, Reviewer since 2010

“ I have a combination skin type, where my face easily gets oily early on the day while spots on my face are at the same time dry and peeling. This facial wash gel effectively cuts through greasy facial skin without drying it out whatsoever. I highly recommend this face wash for anyone with any type of skin, especially those with sensitive skin.” - gurlanachronism, Reviewer since 2010

Splurge

Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel, approx. $20 for 16 oz. (91/100 based on 9 reviews)

“I have extremely sensitive skin.  It is also oily with the occasional dryness…not an easy combination to take care of!  Dry skin formulas usually make my skin more oily, oily skin formulas seem to be too harsh and cause problems with my skin. [This is] the only thing I’ve found that keeps my skin regulated.” - cycojp13, Reviewer since 2009

“I have skin that changes with the seasons (oily t zone in the summer, and dry skin in the winter, and my skin is sensitive and acne prone). For years I struggled with finding the right cleanser that would effectively remove dirt and makeup without drying my skin out. The hunt was over when I discovered this product!” - chibicherub, Reviewer since 2009

Keep it simple

Make sure that when it comes to shower and bath products, you keep things uncomplicated. Look for long-lasting products in large quantities so you don’t have to make weekly trips to the drugstore. Remember to look for soothing ingredients that will make you feel pampered for at least a few minutes every day. With these products, a spa experience can be a part of your daily college life, no matter what your budget is.

Amber Rambharose Amber Rambharose (50 Posts)

Amber Rambharose is a former writing intern at Viewpoints. She graduated from Hollins University with a B.A. in English Literature and is continuing her studies at the University of Cincinnati.