Esurance: Insurance Reviews Trending Negative

esurance insurance reviews esurance allstate review Viewpoints

Esurance offers vehicle, property and health insurance. It also offers life insurance and coverage for pets and cell phones.

Esurance is a social media savvy online insurance company owned by Allstate.  It has great commercials, but a low Viewpoints rating.

Seven points below the average insurance rating of 68/100, Esurance doesn’t come close to top-rated insurance companies like USAA, Geico and Travelers Insurance. From customer service to rate adjustment, reviewers can’t seem to agree on whether Esurance is top-notch or one to avoid. We rounded up the best and worst Esurance experience reviews so you can decide for yourself whether to put yourself in Esurance’s Allstate-affiliated hands.

esurance insurance reviews

The majority of positive Esurance reviews are from 2011 or earlier. Since 2012, the reviews have been largely negative.

Esurance customer service

“I think I’ve only had to call in one time. The customer service rep was very polite and patient with me as I was looking for various information. Everything on the phone call was actually perfect.” – kadlov, Reviewer since 2011

“If you require exceedingly poor customer service, lack of speaking to a real person, like pushing keypad numbers on your phone, and look forward to an endless sea of form letters from a person named Customer Service then this is a company for you.” – Twncty, Reviewer since 2012

Esurance rates

“I searched around and found esurance to be the cheapest. I was somewhat hesitant, but after discovering they were a sister company to All-State we took the plunge! For a little bit better coverage we dropped our bill down to $111 a month. A considerable savings for having to print out our own insurance cards, cutting out the agent, and autopaying.” – claytonrenee, Reviewer since 2010

“We have had Esurance for over a year and were initially drawn to their low rates. Surprisingly they went up soon after we signed. then today we get a “non-renewal” letter saying our driving record doesn’t allow them to cover us. We’ve had ZERO accidents w/them and only a no-fault accident on our record from several years back, which we had when we signed.” – madinky, Reviewer since 2013

Esurance billing policies

“I was able to complete almost all of the paperwork online. They called me to verify before charging me. The monthly payment was deducted from my checking account.  It was done on the same day of every month, but I still got an automated reminder email about four days before.  They also give an option to change the date.” – katiem030, Reviewer since 2010

“I have been with esurance for years. I had never had to use my insurance and never got a ticket, but my policy would go up in price each time I renewed. Well, the time came when I finally had to use my insurance this week and I am completely disappointed. I was overcharged and told that I do not have the insurance coverage that I have been paying for. You are told that everything can be done online, but you basically waive your rights if you do things online according to esurance. I am sad that I have been so loyal over the years. I would never recommend this insurance to anybody.” – kfs77, Reviewer since 2011

The overall Esurance experience

“I searched for a good year to find a less expensive car insurance so I gave esurance a try from a recommendation made by my employer. You can easily print your insurance documents and your insurance cards.   Site is easy to read.  You are sent one reminder notice that you will be billed on a certain day with enough advance notice for any changes you may need to take care of before the next cycle.  Operators answer right away without lag time and take care of your problems quickly, friendly and efficiently.  Rates were less then what I found in the entire year. Highly recommended for those with no time for waiting on the phone for someone to fix something.  And for those who would like to spend less money.” - Cutiepatoot, Reviewer since 2008

“These robber barons are responsible for over charging at an excessive rate, and have representatives who do not take it upon themselves to inform you as the customer of exactly what it is that is being covered. My car was hit in a hit and run while I was not in the vehicle. I am a college student who already doesn’t have a lot of money and upon calling esurance was basically told I was naive in not being more fully aware about my coverage. Horrible service, huge rates and lack of concern for the customer. Skip esurance and go with any other online insurance; either way ask a million questions because they won’t give up the information without it.” – mollie1390, Reviewer since 2011

Mixed reviews may mean unreliable service

woman thought bubble esurance insurance logo

With Viewpoints scores ranging from 1/5 to 5/5, it’s hard to pin down Esurance’s quality.

The huge range of positive to negative consumer reviews written about Esurance insurance make a case against the company. When reviewers are unable to come a consensus, it can mean that the product or service under review offers inconsistent results. If you’re looking for a reliable insurance company, a more highly-rated brand might offer you peace of mind. However, if you’re looking to cut costs and are willing to handle a little hassle, there’s a chance you could have a good Esurance experience.

Amber Rambharose is a writing intern at Viewpoints. She just graduated from Hollins University with a B.A. in English Literature and will be continuing her studies this fall at the University of Cincinnati.

Editor’s note: If you have professional experience with insurance, Viewpoints is recruiting experts in priority product categories to write for our blog. Check out this overview of the Viewpoints Category Expert Program, including qualifications, compensation and how to apply.

Amber Rambharose Amber Rambharose (50 Posts)

Amber Rambharose is a former writing intern at Viewpoints. She graduated from Hollins University with a B.A. in English Literature and is continuing her studies at the University of Cincinnati.