Simmons Beautyrest Reviews: Soft Support for Sore Backs

simmons beautyrest matttress logo

The four Simmons Beautyrest mattresses reviewed on Viewpoints.com range from highly recommended to highly disappointing.

While Simmons Beautyrest mattresses have an overall Viewpoints ranking of 73/100 based on 93 reviews, individual models have scores as low as 55/100 and as high as 97/100. Whether these mattresses hold almost perfect (Beautyrest Elite Pillowtop) or barely average (Beautyrest World Class Recharge) scores, our reviewers agree that Simmons Beautyrest mattresses are designed with back support in mind.

Simmons Beautyrest Elite Pillow Top Mattress

simmons pillow top mattress

The Simmons Beautyrest Elite Pillow Top Mattress offers plush support for sleepers with back pain.

Score - 97/100 based on 6 reviews

Price - Approx. $850 for a queen set

Pros

The firm pillow top surface provides supple support.

“I had been leaning toward the Temperpedic, but am so glad we got this one instead. It is not too soft, but just right. I know other mattress that claim to be for bad backs are often hard as a rock. This mattress is fluffy, and just so comfortable. When we have to replace this mattress, it will be with another Simmons.” – cardrmark, Reviewer since 2010

“It’s soft and pillowy, but by no means saggy or yielding so that I’d be uncomfortable. The Simmons manages to hold its own and offer great support, while feeling all the while like a big, delightfully squishy mess.  It’s a combination I never thought I’d find in a mattress, and I’m thrilled to be taken by surprise.” - sweetheartblue, Reviewer since 2009

Cons

One reviewer found the mattress to be a little too soft.

“This Simmons beautyrest mattress is extremely soft. A little TOO soft in my opinion. I feel like I am sleeping quick sand actually. But, there is no doubt that this big mattress is very comfortable and high grade quality.” - jennermarie, Reviewer since 2011

Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Pillow Top Mattress

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPUblSM7yfo&w=560&h=315]

PROMOTIONAL VIDEO: Watch this video from Simmons to see how springs and foam combine in its Beautyrest Recharge mattresses.

Score - 69/100 based on 145 reviews

Price - Approx. $900 for a queen set

Pros

The ultra-plush feel of the mattress soothes sleepers with spine troubles.

“I have scoliosis and I could never find a mattress right for me. Every mattress I got would always hurt my back. This one doesn’t, it helps my back. It is the softest, most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. I sleep all night, never toss and turn and wake up feeling refreshed the next morning.  -jellybean72808, Reviewer since 2010

“I have struggled with back pain for a few years now and this bed has definitely helped with that.  The pillowtop is just the perfect balance of firmness and softness for me.  Just make sure you get some deep sheets because the mattress is very thick.” – CHRISTY, Reviewer since 2007

Cons

The soft surface quickly wears out.

“We have had this mattress for 3 years.  It was wonderful at first, but after about 1 year, it began to sink in the middle.  We compare our bed to sleeping in a bowl.  we are both in out early 30′s and very active people.  However, we wake up with stiff backs and aches all over.” – minas-mom, Reviewer since 2008

“I have arthritis in my back and hips and was looking to replace our old matress for something more comfortable. It started out just great, but now after about 6 months I have found that the pillowtop has seemed to crush down forming a depression that I keep rolling into during the night.” – cinnamon13, Reviewer since 2008

Simmons Beautyrest TruEnergy Memory Foam Mattress

simmons beautyrest mattress

A night spent on this memory foam focused mattress left most reviewers feeling exhausted, not energetic.

Score - 56/100 based on 11 reviews

Price - Approx. $2100 for a queen set

Pros

Sleepers with sore backs found relief.

“I like soft bed while my husband likes firmer one due to his back problem. We tried out this one and felt in love with it. It’s soft enough for me due to the plush pillow top. Meanwhile it gives enough support for my husband’s back.” – flypig, Reviewer since 2012

“I finally convinced my husband that we needed something new when I was six months pregnant and VERY cranky about my lack of sleep and sore back. We…fell in love with the Simmons Beautyrest NXG memory foam mattress. It’s the perfect amount of cushion without being too soft or lumpy, and it doesn’t leave a ridiculous indent in the mattress when you’re hot and/or extremely pregnant.” - jchance06Reviewer since 2013

Cons

People who sleep on their stomaches were left disappointed.

“BeautyRest is just not made for stomach sleepers.  The picture shows someone on their side and the bed conforming.  Problem is, the bed goes down in those areas even when you’re not on your side – so your body gets all contorted with your neck at an uncomfortable angle when on your stomach.” – reviewindc, Reviewer since 2009

“It isn’t as comfortable for stomach sleepers — which I didn’t initially notice since I was pregnant — but for back and side sleepers, it’s heaven. I would definitely buy this mattress again.” - allthethay, Reviewer since 2010

Simmons Beautyrest World Class Recharge Pillow Top Mattress

simmons beautyrest recharge mattress

The World Class additions to the Simmons Beautyrest Recharge model didn’t seem to make much of a difference to reviewers.

Score - 55/100 based on 38 reviews

Price - Approx. $1200 for a queen set

Pros

Once again, people with back pain or injuries loved their Simmons Beautyrest’s firm yet plush support.

“I have would not trade my [Simmons] mattress for anything!  I hurt my back in a car accident 18 years ago and I had trouble getting a good nights sleep.  After we got our [Simmons] mattress is so comfortable I can get a good nights sleep every night!” – rrdusel, Reviewer since  2007

Cons

Unsatisfied customers were even more unsatisfied with the mattress’s warranty than the mattress itself.

“I paid good money expecting a quality product. I was assured that the warranty was great. I was wrong on both counts. Within a month a depression began at my hips. No problem, their warranty says when the depression hit 1.5 inches they will replace it. They sent a person out to measure and the company said, ‘No that’s right at 1.5 inches, not over it!’ I can’t afford to replace it so there it lies.” – BWR112, Reviewer since 2010

The Beautyrest review breakdown

Although the Simmons Beautyrest mattress ratings vary, the support that sleepers with sore backs experienced remains consistent.

Despite some below average scores, Simmons Beautyrest mattress reviews all mention that sleepers with back pain could benefit from the memory foam and innerspring combination that these mattresses offer. If you’re a back sleeper who wakes up sore, consider testing out a Simmons Beautyrest mattress.

If you’re interested in Simmons Beautyrest mattress features other than back support, the Simmons Beautyrest ComforPedic mattress might be right for you. Want to know more? Watch a real couple review the ComforPedic’s AirCool and GelTouch technology in the Viewpoints video below.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLIOFNl9PYs&w=560&h=315]

Editor’s note: If you have professional experience with mattresses, Viewpoints is recruiting experts in priority product categories to write for our blog. Check out this overview of the Viewpoints Category Expert Program, including qualifications, compensation and how to apply.

Amber Rambharose Amber Rambharose (50 Posts)

Amber Rambharose is a former writing intern at Viewpoints. She graduated from Hollins University with a B.A. in English Literature and is continuing her studies at the University of Cincinnati.