Trend Tracker: Pet Exercise

Move over Shake Weight, the PetTread is quickly becoming the most entertaining exercise equipment.

This GoPet Treadmill retails for about $500.

This GoPet Treadmill retails for about $500.

If your pet needs to get their beach body ready, or if it’s just too wet outside to go for a good walk the PetTread could be the answer for you.

This mega hamster wheel is designed to be taken apart for easy storage and looks like it would fit most cats and small dogs. Before you rush out to buy this must-have item, you should know that this is still just in investing mode on crowd-source-funding website KickStarter. Let’s hope they get the funds they need, if for no other reason than the world needs some new hilarious pet videos. In the meantime, check out good collars and leashes for walking your dog and cat food to keep your feline friend’s weight down.

Editor’s note: If you have professional experience with pet products, Viewpoints is recruiting experts in priority product categories to write for our blog. Check out this overview of the Viewpoints Category Expert Program, including qualifications, compensation and how to apply.

Michael Lombard (27 Posts)

Michael Lombard updates and moderates the products listed on Viewpoints.com. When he’s not busy managing the product catalog, he enjoys writing about pet care and home appliances.

• el7

Can’t fault the guy’s sense of humor, that song choice was genius. I’m afraid that my cat would just walk into the wheel and sit down for a nap in there. There must be some mechanism that is keeping the wheel turning ever so gently, so as to keep the kitty moving. 500 smackeroos is a lot for a treadmill though. I’m looking for one for myself and don’t want to pay more than 100 for it.

• el7

• xratedkat

It SOUNDS like a good idea for overweight pets, but there is NO WAY I would pay
    $500.00 for a pet treadmill. I think both of my cats get plenty of exercise running
    around the house. We feed them a small amount of food about 5 to 6 times per day,
    so we know they aren’t overeating. I would never use a ‘self feeder’ for the cats.
    Those feeders are a good way to end up with overweight animals. As they eat the
    food from the bowl, it refills itself, so they can keep eating until all the food is gone
    and you can end up with a very overweight animal.

• xratedkat

It SOUNDS like a good idea for overweight pets, but there is NO WAY I would pay
    Those feeders are a good way to end up with overweight animals. As they eat the
    and you can end up with a very overweight animal.

• Kristen

I like the idea!!! I think it’s a great idea for older/disabled people who have dogs and cats and don’t get to walk and exercise them as much as they should. I’m not sure I would pay $500 for it, but I like the concept :)

• Katherine Olsen

I think it sucks! That poor cat looks like he just wants to get out. He just looks freaked out. Besides, my cat gets more exercise than that just running around the house with my dogs. What a stupid invention! It’s just a bigger hamster habitrail, from what I can see.

• Katherine Olsen