Netflix To Upgrade Service For Families

Netflix upgrading service

Watch movies via Netflix on TV, desktop, tablet or phone. And soon, you can stream four movies at the same time.

The financial world is buzzing about the popular DVD and video streaming service, Netflix. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that its subscriber base is growing, along with its variety of content offerings. Netflix is in the black for the first quarter of 2013, and the future is bright.

And it gets better.

Netflix bosses have been working on technology to allow users to simultaneously stream four videos – meant to allow family members sharing an account to watch different videos at the same time.

Right now, the limit is two video streams, but Netflix said it will “soon” add a new four-stream plan for $11.99 in the U.S. As the WSJ notes, “Netflix expects fewer than 1% of its subscribers to take it.” Even so, it speaks to the investment Netflix is making to keep its customer base happy.

Do you use Netflix?

Viewpoints recently added video streaming services to our site, and we are in the early stages of collecting feedback. Help others by leaving a Netflix review>>

Editor’s note: If you have professional experience with video streaming services, Viewpoints is recruiting experts in priority product categories to write for our blog. Check out this overview of the Viewpoints Category Expert Program, including qualifications, compensation and how to apply.

Carol Fowler Carol Fowler (53 Posts)

Carol's background is broadcast journalism, and for nearly two years, she led the content team at Viewpoints. In 2014, Carol co-founded Queue Digital to help news organizations leverage the explosion in mobile to grow a new audience for their awesome content.

• Pingback: HBO GO Teases Flat-Fee Online Video Streaming | Viewpoints | Blog

• Pingback: HBO GO Teases Flat-Fee Online Video Streaming | Viewpoints | Blog

• younguns

I’ve had Netflix for a long time. Loved it at first but in recent years I’ve gone months without even turning it on. I have to agree with dredzo above… Many of the titles are things I’ve NEVER heard of. I keep hearing that with Netflix and Hulu, who needs cable. Well, the shows I’m shelling out big bucks for satellite to see, I can’t find.

• younguns

• Pingback: Streaming Services Win Big at Webby Awards | Viewpoints | Blog

• Pingback: Streaming Services Win Big at Webby Awards | Viewpoints | Blog

• http://gravatar.com/blueeyeleo blueeyeleo

the future of Netfllix is questionable as long as Limited Usage internet exists. Me and many others would be happy to pay for Netflix streaming if it wasnt for limited usage internet. I have 3 choices for internet and the MOST usage I can get a month is 30GB and that would cost me 120+ a month. And streaming movies would take more then that.

• http://gravatar.com/blueeyeleo blueeyeleo

• Theresa

We recently upgraded to streaming now that we have wifi and I am happy for the most part, but they do need to add more movies. I wouldn’t pay for the extra streaming, though, because the choices are just too limited to pay the extra money. I also have the DVD plan, so that is where my money goes. That way I can get newer stuff as well.

• Theresa

• Pingback: Spotify Apps Encourage Sharing and Discovery | Viewpoints | Blog

• Pingback: Spotify Apps Encourage Sharing and Discovery | Viewpoints | Blog

• dredzo

If Netflix really wanted its customers happy, they would stop the shrinking number of movies available online. At one time I had over 200 movies in my Instant Queue List: that number, with a few added and NONE removed, is now a whopping 86.
    If you look just beneath the surface, 90% of their online offerings are B-movies or much, much worse. They need to come to terms with some of the studios they’ve lost and get some decent programming back.

• dredzo

• Pingback: AT&T Home Automation Launches In 15 Cities | Viewpoints | Blog

• Pingback: AT&T Home Automation Launches In 15 Cities | Viewpoints | Blog

• noodlebrain

When Netflix adds the 4-streams-at-a-time service, I will definitely be signing up for it! With me and a kid at home wanting to watch different things and another off at school using the same account, well, there’s three!

• noodlebrain

• Melanie

I love Netflix! I stream movies during my lunch break everyday, 5 days a week. And sitting outside on my patio, next to a warm fire, beer in one hand and my Kindle Fire in the other is my favorite way to watch Netflix.

• Melanie