Top-Rated Mattresses: How Consumer Reports Matches Up to Real Reviews

Consumer Reports mattress reviews are compared to Viewpoints

Mattress consumers on Viewpoints disagree with recent tests by Consumer Reports.

Whether you’re a side-sleeper or back-sleeper, prefer firm or soft, purchasing a mattress is not a one-size-fits-all deal. But on one thing all can agree:  Comfort is key. Consumer Reports has tested mattresses. Here’s what our reviewers think of its “top-rated” picks.

Update 1/16/2014: New year, new list! Check out the 2014 update on how the Consumer Reports top-rated mattresses match up to Viewpoints reviews.

Consumer Reports earlier this year released its list of top-rated mattresses, and we compared its ratings with the opinions of Viewpoints reviewers to see how its reviews and the reviews of our best mattresses match up.

Top-rated mattresses: Consumer Reports vs. Viewpoints

Innerspring

Powered by Viewpoints

The Serta Perfect Sleeper is one of the best rated innerspring mattresses by Consumer Reports, which scored it highly for back sleeping and stabilization. Viewpoints reviewers, however, have mixed feelings about the pillow top mattress. A mattress set can cost anywhere from $600 to $3000. Based on 115+ consumer reviews, Viewpoints rates it as just average.

Pro: Perfectly Firm

“It’s firm, but not too firm. The same goes for the plus top. It’s plush but not to the point you are sinking in without support. I must say this was long ovrdue.”Jillian44, Reviewer since 2009

“The mattress is very firm and comforable for a great night’s rest, which is important for a stress-free day. The mattress sits up high for making the bed very easy and less bending. I would recommend this mattress to anyone who is shopping for a new mattress!!!” HeatherJebokji, Reviewer since 2010

Con: Doesn’t maintain shape

“I have owned a Serta Perfect Sleeper firm mattress for five years now. This mattress is what can only be described as “the pits.” It was not so bad at first, but at the moment, it definitely has a big ‘ol dip in the middle that my husband and I keep rolling into. We both wake up EVERY day with sore, achy backs/necks.” Dudewhatever, Reviewer since 2008

“For the first few years, they were all they’re advertised to be. However, we soon found that we were turning them over, quite often, as they had acquired a ‘dip’ on one side. Also the board attached to the box-springs of the bed broke in two! The warranty (on this $3,000 outfit) was next to nothing! Serta refused to replace the faulty mattresses- which SHOULD have lasted longer than six years (at that price)  and the bed itself was repaired at OUR cost. I doubt that we would every consider a ‘Serta’ again. Poor quality.”seewhat, Reviewer since 2009

Honorable Mention

Powered by Viewpoints

Sealy Brand Traditional Mattresses fare better on Viewpoints, as well as secured a spot in Consumer Reports’ innerspring and memory foam top-rated categories.

“I have have bought 4 Sealy Firm Mattresses for house and I have never been more impressed of not only the firmness but how it stays firm years later. Not only do I, who has a bad back but my husband and children love their Sealy’s. Our beds are going on a strong 10 years and still holding true and will definitely purchase Sealy in the future.” pafm1964, Reviewer since 2011

Memory Foam

Powered by Viewpoints

Both Viewpoints reviewers and the expert testers at Consumer Reports agree that Sleep Innovations Novaform Memory Foam  Mattress is a good value. At around $900, the price is much more affordable than some designer alternatives. The 12-inch, 93-pound queen size mattress has a layer of gel-infused foam and rated best for back sleeping with a measured medium firmness and excellent durability.

Consumer Reports vs. Viewpoints mattress reviews

Viewpoints rates the Sleep Innovations Novaform memory foam mattress as better than average.

Pro: Inexpensive alternative

“We have tested a lot of mattress under the process of buying a new one. It easily compares to a higher end mattresses that are priced around 3 to 4 grand. The memory foam is of high quality and is ideal for side sleepers. It contours and supports the body very well. It’s great for couples or sharing bed if one person is a light sleeper. Because if one person is twisting and turning in the bed, it would not disturb other person lying next to.” Meera9, Reviewer since 2012

“We found a lot of the foam temp or therapeutic beds were way out of our price range.  we wanted to spend any where from $500 to $800 on our bed…We figured it’s an investment in our backs. We found the Novafoam Memory bed at costco in our price range and we LOVE IT!!!” noellebilly, Reviewer since 2009

Con: Durability

“The Novaform mattress lasted less than a year.  It was very comfortable at first, but within months began to sag considerably.  Now I prefer the sofa to the bed!  I only weigh 125 pounds and rarely jump on the bed :-)   Overall I am very disappointed with the Novaform mattress.  I am, however, very grateful that the store is allowing me to return the mattress for a full refund.” trying2help, Reviewer since 2008

Honorable mention

BedInABox.com PacBed Memory Foam Mattress is also one of the most highly rated mattresses on Viewpoints, as many of our 338 reviewers describe the mattress as a total package, both comfortable and a great value. Most sets cost between $500 and $1,000:

“Despite the fact that I would pay anything to own this bed, the price is totally affordable. You must buy this mattress; don’t let money be an issue. This mattress is an investment. Ever since I bought it, I have slept longer and better, and my improved nights have led to improved days. This mattress is the best thing that I have bought in a long time, and I couldn’t be happier with it.”Spencercg, Reviewer since 2011

Bottom line

Consumer Reports vs. Viewpoints mattress reviews

The BedInABox.com PacBed Original Memory Foam mattress is voted best for side sleepers by Viewpoints reviewers.

The ratings on Consumer Reports matched up fairly well with opinions on Viewpoints. However, because experience with mattresses varies person-to-person, it is still best to try the mattress out yourself if you can, thoroughly read warranties and, of course, consumer reviews.

Editor’s note: If you have professional experience with mattresses, Viewpoints is recruiting experts in priority product categories to write for our blog. Check out this overview of the Viewpoints Category Expert Program, including qualifications, compensation and how to apply.

Saba Hamid (21 Posts)

Saba Hamid is a manufacturer outreach specialist at Viewpoints. She is a California native and recent graduate of Loyola University Chicago with a B.A. degree in Sociology.

• http://childgenius.org/ Trisha Furr

The biggest “sleeper” brand out there – in my opinion – is The Bed Boss mattresses. When you can do a search for “unpublished bed boss coupons” and add another 30% off their already fantastic prices, you’ve got a winner. My husband and I have had their Visco Heir ET for over two years now. We like it so much we bought another style for our new bedroom called the Visco Revolution. You cannot beat their quality and pricing. I am AMAZED The Bed Boss wasn’t listed here, so I HAD to post this! Good luck in your searches!

• http://elitefurnitureinc.com Tampa Mattress

Try out as many beds as you can. The only way to figure out which bed is right for you and your budget is to try out as many as you can. Hop on, and spend a few minutes trying them out. Just remember: If it doesn’t feel right in the store, it won’t feel right in your home.

• http://sabahamid1.wordpress.com Saba Hamid

Thanks for the tips, Tampa Mattress!

• http://elitefurnitureinc.com Tampa Mattress

Very informative! Innerspring mattresses are by far the most popular type of bed, with countless styles, features and options available. In surveys, about three out of five owners are satisfied with their innerspring mattresses. Another fast-selling item is the memory foam mattress made from visco elastic, polyurethane-based foam that forms itself to the shape of the body.

• sofa sectional

Hi there very nice site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .
    . I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally? I am happy to find so many helpful info right here in the submit, we want work out more techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

• http://sabahamid1.wordpress.com Saba Hamid

Thank you sofa sectional! That sounds great, I’m so glad you find the website useful!

• sofa sectional

Hi there very nice site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .

• Theresa Connors

I have one for 4 years on the left side has a big dip in it and I almost fall off it every night, I am disappointed as I paid a lot of money for this, I would like it replaced as it is 4 YEARS OLD!

• http://www.drsnooze.com/brands/simmons-beautysleep.html DRSNOOZE

Getting a comfortable and good night’s sleep depends upon numerous factors like stress level, temperature of the room and comfort. However, it would be a great idea to start from the basics. In simple words, your mattress has a major role to play in giving you maximum relaxation and comfortable sleep.

• Saba Hamid

Hi Wheezie! Thanks for your comments, if you’d like you can share your review of Serta Mattresses on our site by clicking here.

• Bridget

I’ve had foam, pillowtops, and whatever else is out there, but NONE came close to my Sleep Number mattress! I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last year, and I couldn’t tolerate the mask; my husband INSISTED that we get the Sleep Number, and I finally caved. Since I figured out what number ( s ) I am most comfortable at, I have had NO apnea episodes!

• Saba Hamid

Hello Bridget! Thanks for your great review. If you’d like, you can share your experience on our site by clicking here and selecting your specific Sleep Number Mattress.

• Jayne Reed

And I LOVE my 95% waveless softside waterbed mattress from waterbedoutlet.com I’ve had every type of mattress including Serta, Tempurpetic, Air, and this one is the very best I’ve ever had. I sleep like a baby and it gives my aging back great support.

• Saba Hamid

Interesting! I haven’t read much on waterbeds but perhaps I’ll look into it more. I’m glad you found something that works for you!