2.5

2.5

Pros

Cons

Clear Wireless Internet: $49.99 For Unlimited Internet

I ditched my previous internet carrier because they throttled me every single month. They provided no way for me to monitor how much I was using per day or week so I had to call them when my service was slow to see if there was a connection issue or if I exceeded my limit. Clear was the "new" company in town and I made the representative swear that it was unlimited before I purchased the modem from them.

I pay $49.99 for unlimited internet each month; that's is including tax and any fees and the price has remained the same since I signed up for the service (well over two years ago). Customer service is outsourced 95% of the time but if I call around 10:00 am EST there is a chance I can get an agent inside the United States. If you need to call for service issues they will run you through the same exact drill each time. Move the modem, let me check to see if there are any issues, is there anything blocking it, can you move it to another room. When those are exhausted they'll actually look in to your issue but before that they are just blowing smoke at you.

I get "five dot" service most of the time, when there is a storm, heavy rain or snow I drop to two dots. That doesn't slow me down much unless I am online gaming through the PS3 so be forewarned about that. There is a tower seven blocks away from me and when I signed up for the service I was told that I would be in the "excellent coverage" range. The tower is in the same place, I am in the same place but now I am "on the edge of service" even though nothing has changed between the tower and my home. No building have been built and people who live two blocks in the opposite direction from the tower are still considered in the "excellent coverage" area even though there is no tower to the left of them for three miles. Some of the techs know what they are talking about and some are completely and utterly clueless.

When I call and complain I usually get results; if the person can't help me or just keeps reading from the script I ask for someone else. I might have time to kill but I am not going to waste it with someone that can't answer my questions. They don't have the English skills to listen to what you say and provide an appropriate response. They read from a script and rarely deviate from it. If you have some experience with setting up a modem and basic troubleshooting then Clear is a pretty good deal for unlimited service but if you are someone that needs to be walked or talked through things, stick with a provider that has English speaking, United States based customer service.

This is a pay per month service and there is no contract needed. You do have to buy the equipment from them but I have heard a few people say that you can "BYOD" (bring your own device) as long as it is compatible with the service. If you do not pay your bill on the due day you will have limited access to the internet for about 12 hours then it will be shut off. I forgot to update my credit card information with the new expiration date until the day it was due. I had to call them to get the date changed because I couldn't get online to change it in my account settings for Clear. I could probably downgrade to a lower priced plan but I have heard horror stories about people being billed twice (for both service tiers) and then ending up completely disconnected. Right now we use about 80GB a month between the computers, gaming and tablets and I think that's a fair price to pay for the service.

Speed
Some slow down points in the late afternoon but usually a good speed.

Security
You have to provide your own firewall.

Customer Service
Almost all calls are outsourced.

only game in town for rual broadband, but still sucks

I live in a rural area. Which means were cannot get DSL or cable. So the chooices are basicly satelite or wireless mobile. I finally got evdo rev A from sprint which was an upgrade from dialup. It was still slow. I was strongly looking forward to clears wimax service. Well it finally came to my market "san antonio" area. I got it. When i got the device i was only able to get three bars out of the five. Nornally i only got two bars. The speed was around 3-5mps. i was on the unlimited plan. So i should have been getting up to 10mps. Still that was way fast. However, there was only ONE place that i could get the device to work in my house which was outside of our window. The device would disconnect alot. I went hours with the device not connecting. Whenever the microwave would be used it would disconect. I think that might of been because of my ups not working right. Since after disconnecting from battery UPS i haven;t seen that problem. However, it was weird because the device would disconnect but it wouldn;t reconnect untill i reset the power and even after that I still had problems. But it was the only game in town so i kept with it. Also that was the home unit. With the USB adaptor it picks signals even worse. When i had my 3g service with sprint while a car was mov8ing i still held a signal. But with the clear 4 g usb adator when i was in a car it would keep disconnecting from service. Seemed any motion would knock  out the connection. I finally got to talk to a clear tech and he didn;t come out just on phone said my area wasn;t in coverage. Said reason my service was faster was because of time of year leaves were off trees and when fall came by service would speed up. Well it never speed back up. I can only get a max of around 1mps never near 2mps keep in mind i am on the top plan. I should be getting average 3-6 with bursts up to 10mps.  On christmas i was trying to play a movie with family through netflix. It was working fine untill it got to the very end of movie and would keep rebuffering like made. i thought my connection was just bad. However, after going to the clear forums and dsl reports I found out our UNLIMTED plans are now throttled. If you use the network to much on a UNLIMTED plan your connection can get reset to a .25mps connection speed. which will never work good for streaming netflix movies. Ofcourse there is no cap policy displayed so know one knows how are when their connection will get throttled and when the throttling ends.  I am on the month to month plan so i can quit whenever i want. I just cannot quit because i have no better options for us last mile people. If you are looking to replace cable dsl though don;t use clear because normal netflix, or other video streaming will cause you to be throttled. You will never get the speeds you are promised. In fact when i talked to the tech he said i should consider downgrading to the 1mps plan since i will never see my promised speed. really 4g wimax woudl be great if it lived up to the hype. also clears spectrum isn;t good at penertaing walls. If you have tmobile or lte from verizon you will get better inside coverage. However, will clear throttleds they don;t have a hard 5gig stated cap like verizon. from reading the clear forums i understand they are losing money so whoknows what changes will happen for their service it could get even worse!!!

Get used to spinning icon trying to connect

Comments about Clear Wireless Internet Service:

Admittedly I was a satisfied Clear customer for 4 years. Never got much over 2mb download speeds but worked for my needs and I'm cheap. Clear had a good price for home and mobile internet bundle. All of a sudden increased difficulties connecting to internet at my home despite a good signal from the Clear modem. Multiple calls to tech support led to the usual script. Did you reboot modem? Relocate modem? Point to a certain corner of house near a window? There's no problem with towers near your address... blah, blah - same story from so called second level tech support. Bottom Line - You never know when you'll get a connection. Same on any computer in the house. I gave up on Clear and ordered Century Link DSL. Steer clear of Clear

I love Clear!

Comments about Clear Wireless Internet Service:

I have had Clear at home (Hub) in Portland, Oregon, and I also have a Clear 4G hotspot puck. I've been using Clear for about three years, and I couldn't be happier. I've had a few minor issues, but their customer service is excellent, and they've always taken tare of my problems right away. I live really close to towers, so my internet at home is faster than my DSL was. I would recommend Clear for home or on the go service, as long as you live in an area well covered.

Clear Wireless Internet: $49.99 For Unlimited Internet

from Pittsburgh, PA

Speed
Some slow down points in the late afternoon but usually a good speed.

Security
You have to provide your own firewall.

Customer Service
Almost all calls are outsourced.

• Customer Service:

Clear is the worst internet and customer service.

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about Clear Wireless Internet Service:

I signed up with Clear internet at a time when they were offering the modem for free with a two year contract. Over the two years that I was required to keep this service it was the worst internet service I have ever used. I had to continually reset the modem and wait for it to search for a signal even though they informed me that the tower was within a mile from my house. When I was working online I would lose service over and over. Each time I spoke with customer service I was on the phone for more than an hour. It wasn't until the month my contract was up that they flat out told me they could not better my internet service and that I should find a different provider. I feel lied to the whole two years because they knew they could not help me but wanted my two years worth of payments. I would never recommend this service to anyone.

Just plain bad

Comments about Clear Wireless Internet Service:

Poor performance and lying sales people. If you need mobile internet maybe but I would still recommend Verizon.

Speed
Do not expect to stream anything or play games.

Security
Not sure but it is a wireless system so.....

Reliability
Signal strength was terrible no matter how you position the modem ofen dropping to slower than DSL.

Customer Service
Lies. All they told me was lies.

• Customer Service:

Clear is not good service, find an alternative to Clear Wireless

Comments about Clear Wireless Internet Service:

Clear is not worth the price, I was unable to connect in 75% of the areas I went to. I was lucky to get 3G service when I got connected. Now I was just charged for service I had canceled 6 months ago. If you decide to get Clear good luck once you travel outside the city as your service will drop off and you'll be luck if you get 44K transfer rate.

Not worth the money
Slow Customer Service
Hard to understand accents (I think I was talking to India)
They repeat everything saying the just want to verify your account after almost every question. They wasted close to an hour for me trying to cancel an account I canceled last November.

BUYER BEWARE Clear is bad service, bad customer service, and use underhanded tactics billing your credit card. I got lucky as I had just gone to check my account balance and found Clear had charged me again.

Speed
most of the time I was unable to get a connection and when I did get a connection it was very slow. I travel from coast to coast and my recommendation is don't use Clear

Security
they wasted close to an hour of my time verifying that I was me.

Reliability
70% of the time I got very slow service if I got service at all. I travel from coast to coast

Customer Service
Clear wasted close to an hour of my time verifying that I was me

• Customer Service:

Clear works, mostly and better than some other options

from Eugene, OR

Comments about Clear Wireless Internet Service:

I've had two types of Clear wireless: a home version and a "mobile hotspot".  The home version was used in an urban area where cable and DSL were also offered.  The mobile hotspot is used in an area with no other high speed alternatives.

Clear works from a wall outlet or battery to receive wireless internet.  The connection is completely wireless and then requires a separate wireless router or acts as a wireless router itself - in the case of the mobile hotspot.

The benefit is a wireless connection.  In areas where cable or DSL is not an option Clear is an excellent alternative to painfully slow dial-up.

At best it's an equivalent alternative to cable or DSL, but at worst it's a terrible source of erratic functionality.  The reception varies quite a bit depending on your location.

Buy Clear wireless if you have good coverage or no other high-speed internet options

Stick with cable or DSL if you have the option.

Surprised at Clear Wireless's Service

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Clear Wireless Internet Service:

I decided to give Clear Wireless a try when they had their iSpot on sale for $20 (down from $100) during their holiday sale.  I figured that if I didn't like the 4G service that I could just sell the modem on ebay for a profit.  I was pleasantly surprised by the service of Clear Wireless, both the coverage and the customer service.  I am currently suspending my service, but will definitely reenable it when I travel.

Quality of Service: The coverage of the 4G networks was pretty good in the areas that I was during the period of my service.  I tested it in South Jersey, NYC and Newark Airport.  The coverage is spotty on the highways, but overall I was satisfied by the coverage and the speed of 4G internet.

Customer Service: Best customer service I've interacted with ever.  A representative put up with an hour of questions after my purchase and helped me answer every single one.  I contacted them again concerning my suspension of service and hardware protection plan.  Very much a pleasure to interact with.

If 4G was faster (latency and download/upload speeds) with better coverage, I'd switch to Clear in a heartbeat over Comcast.

Clear is worth the money

from Portland, OR

Comments about Clear Wireless Internet Service:

At first I had trouble with this internet service, but now I LOVE it. I have excellent reception now that my modem is by the window. What I love most is I brought it home and plugged it in. No waiting for a tech to come out and install. Customer service has improved as well.

only game in town for rual broadband, but still sucks