Other Cloth Diapers:

bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers

Pros

Cons

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

These are great!  Really wonderful pocket diapers for people who didn't think they could cloth diaper (like me!).  They are similar to the Bum Genius 2.0's...exept you can wash them in hot water and the snaps match the color of the diaper.  They each come with a small and large insert, use the small and adjust the diaper to small if you baby is little, use the large if your baby is medium or large, use both at night and there will be no leaks!!!

Just FYI, if you are new to cloth diapers:  youcannot use most rash ointments, if they get on the diaper they prevent it from absorbing.  With all cloth diapers, it is best to use a detergent that does not have brightners, softeners, or other additives that coat the diaper and prevent it from absorbing and lock in the stinkiness.  I use Planet, many "free and clear" products actually have a lot of junk in them that is bad for diapers, they have a list of them at www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com (I am not affiliated with them).

Very Cute, Leaked All the Time

I received several Bum Genuis diapers as gifts when my first son was born. I thought they were super cute. The colors are great and the fabrics were really soft. I also think the pocket type diapers are great for parents who don't want to deal with folding pre-folds. They fit more like disposable diapers as well. I thought the cost was a little high, but I figured you would make that up pretty quickly. I appreciated that Bum Genius provided detailed washing instructions and seemed to have good customer service.

But I had the worst luck getting these diapers not to leak! They would leak as early as 30 minutes after I put them on my son, so I knew it wasn't too much urine. I tried adjusting them but they kept on leaking. When I called Bum Genius, they said that I needed to strip the diapers. My question is - when I use the recommended detergent and only use them a few times, why should I already have to strip them? Stripping is a time consuming process and frankly I don't have the time to do it. After so many leaks, I decided to sell them while they were still in excellent condition. That is one GREAT thing about Bum Genius. I was able to sell them used for almost as much as they were worth new.

All in all, we have had much more success with old fashioned prefolds and diaper covers. I find that the pocket made out of microfiber stink faster and have more leaks. We didn't keep the Bum Genius long enough to have them stink, but I know microfiber has more problems with stink. We had better success with Fuzzi Bunz (they rarely if ever leak), but I still prefer the prefolds. They are also much cheaper.

Having said this, I know many people who swear by Bum Genius and had a great experience. Unfortunately I was not one of them. I wanted to support a local company (they are based in my city), but I couldn't deal with all the problems and the maintenance. I have also read the velcro wears pretty quickly. They should institute snaps like Fuzzi Bunz!

Good diaper for infants but not for toddlers

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

I started using cloth diapers when my second child was born. I really like the overall concept of the bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers. Cloth diapering is a significant upfront investment and it was important to me to try to save money in the long run. I like that the bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers grow with your baby. There are a few different options for where to snap these diapers with the goal being that these diapers grow with your baby. The smallest snap setting is idea for babies up to around 18 pounds. These diapers fit infants perfectly. The second setting worked well for my baby from 18 to around 28 pounds. The last setting is designed for babies that are 28 pounds and heavier. The diaper works very well on the first two settings. In my experience, the diaper has not worked well on the last setting. My baby thinned out quite a bit once he started walking and these diapers had significant leaks the more he started moving. I would recommend this cloth diaper for the earlier baby stages but not when your baby starts moving around. This product did not fully my goal of growing with my baby.

AWESOME cloth diapers!

from Greer, SC

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

We did not use cloth diapers with our first baby because I was afraid of them. I think it was mostly the "grossness" factor of hauling a poopy diaper around, but whatever it was it kept me from trying them. I thought they were so expensive and just didn't use them. When we were expecting our second we decided to try them. We wanted to save on cost and have less impact on the environment. We decided to go with these diapers and have loved them! The colors are so cute and make changing stinky diapers a little enjoyable. The fit takes a bit to get used to, but once you get it you'll do great. We had a few leaks early on, but that was user error on my part. There is a little bit of a learning curve trying to figure out how tight to close them (the ones with the Velcro) and which inserts to use. The cost factor was a bit scary due to such a large investment all at one time, but these are sold at some retailers that allow you to use coupons and also are great second hand (may want to bleach just for cautionary sanitary measures). They're really simple to clean -- just rinse cycle, wash cycle, and hang dry. We felt a lot better about using cloth -- cute, better for the environment, and cheaper in the long run!

• Absorbency:

High Quality Pocket Diaper!

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

After hearing such great things about bumGenius's AIO cloth diapers, I decided to venture into their line of pocket diapers. I was far from disappointing.

Leak Prevention
I decided to get some of the snapped versions and some of the aplix versions. My child is a tall stocky boy with chubby thighs and I found with the aplix there were more leaks coming from his legs. I however did not have that problem with the snapped version. I love the extra panel in the waist line as well :)

Soft

Absorbency
Very absorbant, however if you are in need of a night time non leaking diaper, I would ad an insert.

Good cloth diaper.

from florida, USA

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

Overall, I really liked the BumGenius 3.0 cloth diapers. I have both the BumGenius 3.0 and the snap closure Flip diapers and like them each for different reasons. The BumGenius 3.0 have a velcro closure system and the cloth insert is actually inserted into the diaper between two fixed layers of cloth, so it does not shift or bunch. The downside, however, is that the entire diaper must be put into the wash every time, unlike the Flip and others that just require a new insert. Although this can be considered a downside, I actually like washing the entire diaper every diaper change. The inserts can be messy (of course), so this is a very mess-free diaper. And it just feels cleaner to replace the diaper every time.

After stuffing the diaper with an insert, you put it on the baby just like disposables.

Leak Prevention
These were very good with leak prevention. We hardly had any leaks at all.

Comfort
They are made of a very soft cloth that draws moisture away from the baby's skin.

Absorbency
One of the most absorbent cloth diapers I have used.

Love these

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

Sadly, my son is allergic to regular diapers. They cause him extreme discomfort and make give him rashes very easily. While these aren't as easy as regular diapers, they do an amazing job and are still pretty easy to use. Surprisingly they never leak either. They're so sturdy, durable, and stay on him pretty well. I was impressed when I first starting using these. He got less rashes, and he was comfortable in these. I would recommend these to any parent with a new child even if they aren't allergic to regular diapers. These are flat out amazing.

• Absorbency:

Couldn't get any easier for a cloth diaper.

from Severn, MD

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

these are great. I primarily use prefold diapers because of the price, but I bought quite a few of these bumgenius pocket diapers for when my parents watch the baby or when my husband changes him. These couldn't get any easier. You stuff the diaper & fasten it. Just like a disposable. These are very absorbant. More absorbent than any other pocket diaper I've tried. the gussets on the legs are also great. They keep a very tight fit to stop any leaks! Overall, I would definitely recommend these to any cloth diapering mom.

Couldn't get any easier! These are amazing.

Leak Prevention
We haven't had any leaks with these yet! We double up on inserts for overnight & it works like a charm!

Comfort
These are very soft diapers. They are great. Fit from the early months up until 1-2 years! One size fits all!

Absorbency
These are VERY absorbant. We use bamboo & cotton inserts and it works amazingly. They work great for naps & overnight. NO LEAKS.

Lasted for 3+ years of use, except the part that keeps them on

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

I began diapering my first born son in the bum genius 3.0s when he was 2 weeks old. The diapers worked exactly as promised and we loved them, but about half of the 24 diapers I owned began to show that the "velcro" strip on the front of diaper was coming loose. I was able to take advantage of the 1-year warranty to have these diapers replaced and I chose to have them replaced with the bum genius 4.0 snap diapers which had just been released. As my son grew old enough to open diapers, I preferred the snaps over this style because it was difficult to keep the diapers on while he moved around and if he wanted to rip off the diaper, he could do it very easily with this style (but not with the snaps). I had a 2nd son 20 months after the first and now he is 21 months old and we've been using the diapers all this time. Unfortunately, we did need to replace the "velcro" strip, even though we followed all washing instructions and always lined dried. For this reason, I would only recommend bum genius snap diapers. Despite this problem with the velcro, the diapers otherwise worked great. We experienced only rare leaks, they adjusted to fit a boy that was 32+ lbs, and are still waterproof and looking nice to this day after hundreds and hundreds of washes.

This type of diaper is easy to use and easier for babysitters, grandparents, and other non-regular diaper changers, to work with as opposed to other types of cloth diapers.

• Absorbency:

Love the BumGenius One Size Cloth Diapers!!

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

I am a proud cloth diaper mommy and have three of the BumGenius One Size Cloth Diapers in my stash. I have the pocke diapers with the microfiber inserts. BumGenius diapers work really well, and I would have more in my stash if they weren't so expensive! They come in so many fun colors and are really simple to use. I stuff all my pocket diapers at once right out of the laundry, so when I am changing my baby I just grab one and put it on. I find that for newborns one with aplix or the Velcro work the best especially in the middle of the night when you don't want to be fumbling with snaps. Double stuff it overnight as well and you will have a dry bum in the morning (or your baby will!) They have a good fit along the legs, and with the aplix you can fold it over as tight as you need to with a smaller baby. If you have the snap kind, they work really well too and do provide a better fit. Love the BumGenius and would recommend them for anyone wanting to try cloth diapering!

• Absorbency:

Not as good as natural fiber cloth diapers.

from Winchendon, MA

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

When my daughter was about 10 months old I stumbled into the world of cloth diapers in the hopes of saving some money. Bum Genius 3.0 were the first cloth diapers that I tried. I was looking for something quick and easy with velcro fastening that would function very similar to disposable diapers. I also liked that it had the one size feature and would hopefully last us quite a while. At first I did like them, it was easy to get a good fit, changing was no more complicated than it had been previously and they seemed to get the job done. However after several months of use they started to get ammonia build up in the microfiber inserts and it was actually burning my children's bottoms. No matter how I washed or what routine or recommended detergent I used the problems persisted. Not only that but the velcro on the tabs started to curl and wear out and was not sticking as well as it had been. I decided to switch to natural fiber diapers (cotton fitteds and pre-folds with covers) it was an extra step but there was nothing to wear out, no complicated washing routine (they are much easier to clean) and no ammonia build up or skin irritation. I'd say that these are ok if you are just starting out to get your feet wet so to speak but don't be afraid to look around for other (cheaper) options especially those with natural fibers for easier washing routines.

easy to use, versatile

from Houston, TX

Comments about bumGenius 3.0 One Size Cloth Diapers:

These diapers are wonderful since they are one-size. You can use them from infant through potty-training in most kids, rather than having to buy several sizes. They are easy to put on. If you stuff the inserts as soon as you wash them, you just have to grab a diaper and put it one - as simepl as a disposable, and easy enough for Daddy and babysitter (or whoever in your family who might change baby but is not wild about cloth diapers). The biggest con is the velcro. It really does not last. I have changed all mine to snaps, which are so much better. They now offer snaps on the newest one, the 4.0 version. Another slight con is that they are only available in solid colors - it can make for a boring diaper stash. But, is that really that big a deal?