Other Allergy & Sinus Medicines:
Zyrtec

Pros

Cons

• Immediacy:

Zyrtec D allows me to live with lots of allergens... literally.

I am allergic to lots of things including dust mites, mold, all kinds of pollen, laundry detergents, cats and dogs.  I'll also throw out there that I have moderate-to-severe asthma.  It doesn't take much to get me sneezing, wheezing, itching, wiping watery eyes, and congested like you've never seen.  A doctor that I used to see insisted on running an allergy panel on me and found that I'm allergic to many things but my reaction to cats is off the charts.  Normal people would go out of their way to avoid allergens that trigger a response and specifically cats but not me.  Nope.  I run a cat rescue right here out of my home.  Isn't that fun?

Although one can eventually build up some kind of a tolerance to the family pet, it's just not possible here.  I own 3 cats and have anywhere between 2 and 12 more here at any given time.  We also often foster dogs and puppies.  Even when we have the fosters down to a reasonable number, it's just not possible to build up a tolerance because they are always coming and going and my body acutely notices each and every new guest.  Several doctors have suggested that I get rid of the animals but it's just not an option.

After using Allegra, Allegra-D, and Zyrtec, I'm now on Zytrec-D and have been for at least 3 years now.  Plain Zyrtec was very effective in eliminating the itchiness, red eyes, and sneezing that the animals cause but I was always severely congested so the doctor switched me to the D formula.  Zyrtec-D is an extended-release tablet that you take every 12 hours.  It combines regular Zyrtec's cetirizine HCI with the decongestant pseudoephedrine.

When she first switched me over, she told me that she tried it and the decongestant ingredient had her bouncing off of the walls at midnight.  She then stated that if I was able to use the Allegra-D sucessfully, the pseudoephedrine probably would bring me "up" enough during the day to cancel out the antihistamine's drowsiness and the antihistamine would probably bring me "down" enough to cancel out the decongestant's hyperactivity.  She was right.  I can take Zyrtec-D in the morning before work and be awake and alert enough to handle hundreds of teenagers.  I also can take it right before bed and fall right asleep.  The combination probably isn't for everyone but I handle it well.

Zyrtec-D is wonderful because it prevents all of the classic allergy symptoms--itchy skin, red/watery/itchy eyes, sneezing, and rashes as well as improving the condition of my sinuses.  I wouldn't say that I am completely clear but I also am not in your usual pet-owning household.  With 15 cats here at the moment, I'm really putting Zyrtec-D to the test.  Most of the time I can breathe through my nose which is good enough for me; I really don't think I can expect much more given the situation.

The only time I don't love my Zyrtec-D is during the spring when it is pollen season.  That additional factor seems to blast my allergies into another galaxy and this medication just isn't enough to handle it.  During those times, I add Flonase to the mix and usually substitute Benadryl Severe Allergy at bedtime in place of the Zyrtec-D.

The most common side effects reported with this medication are insomnia, dry mouth, fatigue, sore throat, drowsiness, and hypertension.  I tend to have dry mouth so I am always guzzling water throughout the day and I keep a water bottle on the table next to my bed at night.  As I mentioned earlier, I can take my evening dose of Zyrtec-D just before bed and fall asleep immediately so I don't experience the insomnia that some report.  I am often tired during the day but I just chalk that up to my crazy job and the neverending animal care and cleaning schedule here in the house.

In the past few years I've really put Zyrtec-D to the test.  I'm highly allergic to many things and I live with many of those "things" that I'm allergic to--cats and dogs.  This medication has kept my allergies in check for a very long time now and has far surpassed all of my expectations.  Anything that can eliminate 95% of my symptoms while living with 15 cats/kittens is impressive.  I'd recommend Zyrtec-D to anyone with allergies and chronic congestion.  If it works this well for me in my situation, it'll work like a charm for a normal person who doesn't insist upon bringing allergens into their house like me.

Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets work about as well as Benadryl

Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets are alright, if you haven't already adapted to them. I have allergies most of the year, indoor and outdoor. And this means I have to take Allergy medicines quite often, throughout the year, and my body adapts to it quickly, so I have to change every 3 months. With Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets I had to get a different brand within the first month because I adapted so quickly and it stopped working as effectively. However while I was taking it, it worked well enough for my allergies and congestion from sneezing so much. It took care of the itchy, watery eyes as well.

Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets are for indoor and outdoor allergies. They have antihistamines for allergies, and a nasal decongestant for those days when you feel all stuffy inside. Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets works to prevent symptoms of allergy and congestion such as sneezing, runny nose, itchy watery eyes, itchy throat or nose, and sinus pressure or nasal congestion. And it's extended release tablets mean it works all day to prevent further symptoms and to ease those already present. And it is a 12 hour dose, not 24 so you would have to take it twice, to be covered all day. It also has Pseudoephedrine which is a nasal decongestant, and also makes you sleepy.

Over all this product is only effective for half the day and it stopped working as effectively for me after the first month or so, so I give it a 5 compared to other Allergy medications that I can take for longer and it still work just as well as when I first started taking it.

Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets come in their own individually wrapped blister packs and are easy to take tablets that you take with water, and swallow whole. Don't break or chew them or they won't work as effectively as they are extended release tablets

Immediacy
Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets are extended release tablets not rapid release, so it takes a while to work, but lasts for 12 hours.

Works great it just a little hard to get

from Birmingham, Al

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

I love the Zyrtec! It works great for me much better than the Claritan, which takes longer to take effect and does not seem to last quite as long as the Zyrtec does. I have been a customer for over 10 years now and I also use the Childrens Zyrtec for my kids allergies and sinuses. It is the brand that my family trusts and uses.

It clears my sinuses quickly and lasts for long time. It helps clear my eyes up and it makes it so much easier for me to breathe. I have asthma and need to use a decongestent often and it has never let me down or left me with any adverse side effects.

I ask you what can be any easier than just taking a pill? Because that is all you do and just sit back and wait for it to take effect. (about 20 minutes)

Immediacy
Like I just said it takes effect quickly. Within 15 to 20 minutes you will see a marked improvement of your symptoms. And it works just as well for my children I am a loyal customer.

• Immediacy:

I have used it for years because it works with no negatives

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

I have used it so long it is just part of my life in keeping my Samters in control. I have not had an actual "bout/attack" in years.

It controls the affects of my Samters quite well. I have used it for years and will continue to do so. Both my allergist and I are content with the medicine.

It is a small easy to swallow pill that doesn't bother my stomach

Immediacy
Don't notice it just keeps things balanced. I don't feel any highs nor lows.

• Immediacy:

Good solution to seasonal allergies

from Ashland, KY

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

I have used this product for several years. Before Zyrtec D, I used Claritin D.
Although Zyrtec D doesn't offer the conveniece of one pill per every twenty four hours, when my seasonal allergies are bothering me, it seems to help taking the twelve hour formulas rather than the twenty four. The downside to this medication is that you are limited on the amount your can purchase at one time. So it it is impossible to get a one month supply. I need to go at least twice a month if I am taking it every day. The other downside is that you are limited as to how many you can purchase in a year. To get more than this amount (my doctor wants me to use it nearly year round in my area of the country) you need to get a written prescription from your doctor. Even with the written prescription, you still cannot purchase a month's supply at once but are still limited. Overall though, it is an effective treatment for seasonal allergies.

Works Okay

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

Around this time of year, I suffer with the worst allergies and sinus issues. I have pretty much tried everything on the market and this product is no exception. It is an okay product, not the worst, not the best. It does what it is intended to do, however it just provides some relief, not lasting relief. This product left me feeling hazy all the time.

Effective to some degree, less effective after a significant period of time using this product.

Very easy to use, simply taking the tablets. I experimented with crushing them to see if the effect came about any faster. It did slightly.

Immediacy
I have to admit I did experience relief of some of my symptoms pretty fast, although it was not complete relief. I have found that the longer I used this product, the longer it took for me to feel any kind of relief from the allergies I experience, particularly the itchy eyes. Also, after awhile, the itchy eyes and the other seasonal allergies symptoms never completely went away, they subsided mostly.

This stuff really works

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

Zytrtec-D while being a hassle to get from the pharmacist does really work for my allergies. I had no runny and stuffy nose for a whole day after taking the recommended dose. I am allergic to dust, have hay fever, most dogs, all cats and mold. This tablet helped with my itchy eyes and skin bumps did not appear no matter how much I played with my (even though she is hypoallergenic) dog. I use this product once every couple of days when hay fever season is the worst and it totally helps. It also helps when I have cold like symptoms. Way better that any liquid formula I could take. My husband recommended it when the on the shelf products were not really working and he is so right. It does take about an hour for the medicine to go through my system. But after that I feel great and can breath easy with no skin or eye itches. For as well as it works I don't mind paying the bit more than it costs and going through the process of asking for it instead of just picking it up off the shelf.

D for "Destroy Congestion" in no time

from Stewartsville, NJ

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

My sinuses get all wonky with temperature changes & being around cats. Zyrtec makes days and nights tolerable.

The pressure that forms behind my eyes and in my cheeks is unbearable. Zyrtec destroys congestion in mere moments and lasts 24 hours! I don't need to take it continuously like its competitor!

Zyrtec-D Helps Relieve My Allergy Symptoms

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

I have used Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets off and on for many years now to help me combat my seasonal allergy problems. I first used it when it was a prescription medicine, and I am very glad that I can just get it over-the-counter now whenever I need it. I have found that Zyrtec-D works really well to help control my allergy symptoms of itchy and watery eyes as well as my runny nose. I only have seasonal allergies so do not have to take this medicine all of the time, but as soon as I have a problem and start taking this medicine it gets cleared up right away. I have not noticed any negative side effects from taking the medicine which is definitely an added benefit. My husband also takes this because he works outside and only in his adulthood started to have allergy problems. He really likes it as well, and it makes his job easier because his symptoms are controlled. The pill is very small, so it is very easy to swallow and goes down just fine. I would definitely recommend trying Zyrtec-D if you have allergies.

• Immediacy:

Zyrtec-D is the best for seasonal allergies

from Coatesville, PA

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

My family has tried many kinds of allergy medicines. My son works at a pharmacy and in the end, this is the only product he wants me to buy. Zyrtec often has coupons in the mailings we receive which makes it more comparable in price to the store-brand of a similar product and truly that is when I buy the product, when it is on sale and has a coupon. The main reason we like this product is the nasal decongestant really seems to work, and it lasts for 12 hours.

It does relieve nasal congestion well and works well for seasonal allergies when used as directed. The nasal decongestant does wear off after 12 hours so it is important that users follow the directions and take the doseage every 12 hours.

The tablets are fairly easy to swallow for an adult.

Immediacy
It doesn't work as quickly as a nasal spray, but it works pretty well for a tablet, and if taken regularly, it provides continuous relief from seasonal allergy syptoms and congestion.

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

Zyrtec works good for me. I have taken it many times mostly for seasonal allergies. It helps with runny nose, itchy eyes, itchy throat, stuffy nose and sneezing. I have seasonal allergies in the spring when everything starts to bud and bloom and Zyrtec helps to control my allergies. It dries me up with drying me out. It's not something I have to take year round, but it does a good job for my spring seasonal allergies.

Zyrtec works good for me. It works within an hour of taking it and I like being able to take it once day and it lasts for 24 hours. It makes it easy to remember to take it and it really does a good job of keeping me from sneezing and wiping my nose all day.

Zyrtec is very easy to take. The tablet is small and easy to swallow and lasts for 24 hours so you only have to take it once a day.

Immediacy
Zyrtec works quickly. Within an hour my sneezing and runny nose are under control. It also helps with sinus pressure which sometimes causes a headache.

Zyrtec-D Does not last

from Denham Springs, LA

Comments about Zyrtec-D Allergy Tablets:

I was prescribed Zyrtec-D from my doctor as an over the counter remedy for my severe congestion. I was told it lasted twelve hours and I would not need to take any other sinus medication. I took Zyrtec-D with the expectation that it would provide the relief I needed for at least the twelve hours it advertised. After taking Zyrtec-D I did find my congestion was relieved. That relief only lasted about six hours and I could not take anything else because I had to wait for the 12 hour window to pass. I was very dissapointed in the time that relief lasted. While it did provide relief for those first few hours that worked well and made me feel better, it did not last and I was stuck feeling bad until I could take something else. I also found after the relief wore off I got the worst sinus headache. The tablets were easy to swallow but very expensive. I was lucky to get a coupon. I purchased a five day supply and used them. I have not purchased them again and would not recommend them for lasting relief.