Other Allergy & Sinus Medicines:
Allergy Tablets
Zyrtec
Zyrtec Allergy Tablets

Zyrtec Allergy Tablets

Pros

• Easy to administer (3)

Zyrtec Keeps Me Going When Allergies Try To Knock Me Down

Allergies are nothing new to me. I've dealt with them for as long as I can remember. I was tested as a teen but my doctor didn't recommend allergy shots at that time and left me to try prescription after prescription to get results. I had pretty much given up on finding any medication either over the counter or prescription that would give me full relief by the time I was 30. I had been retested for allergies and found to be allergic to several things but the one thing that bothered me the most was environmental....cigarette smoke. Some brands set me off worse than others. I am not a smoker and neither is my husband. But, when you are in public you can't help but get a whiff of cigarette smoke in the air. Thank goodness our city passed the no smoking law in restaurants. My allergist prescribed Zyrtec to take care of the cigarette smoke which is a year round thing and also seasonal allergies.**Zyrtec**Zyrtec is available by prescription only. The scientific name for Zyrtec is cetirizine hydrochloride. It is available in a tablet form, chewable and also a liquid. The tablet form is prescribed in 5 and 10 mg. doses and is a small white coated tablet. The chewable comes in a small purple colored tablet that are grape flavored, also available in 5 and 10 mg. doses. The liquid formula is a light yellow color that contains both banana and grape flavor. The dose is 1 mg/mL for children. You should consult your private pediatrician before administering any over the counter drugs. **Inactive Ingredients (tablet form)**Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; colloidal silicon dioxide; croscarmellose sodium; magnesium stearate; titanium dioxide; hypromellose; and polyethylene glycol.**Zyrtec and Me!**As I said in my opening paragraph, I've tried many prescription drugs for allergies and over the counter medications. Zyrtec has been the one drug that takes care of my symptoms. It opens up my nasal passabes to where I can breath freely. It takes care of itching eyes and also gives relief when the ragweed blooms here. This is probably the time I'm most miserable with allergies. I get terrible headaches, stuffy nose, watery and itchy eyes. Zyrtec gives me more relief than anything else I've taken. I've also had episodes of allergic reactions that cause my eyelids and/or mouth to swell. Zyrtec has helped keep these symtoms under control and I have had very few episodes while taking Zyrtec. **My ViewPoint**Zyrtec has been a medication that I can count on to keep me free of allergies and the annoying symptoms caused by allergies. I like the fact that I can take one tablet a day and have relief for the whole day and night. It doesn't cause drowsiness like other allergy medicines can do either. I have been able to carry on regular functions during the day at work without feeling miserable when taking Zyrtec. The only drawback I have found is the cost. However, since it is so effective for me--it is totally worth it! I give Zyrtec 5 VP's

Works really, really well. Until it doesn't.

As a major year-round allergy sufferer for as long as I can remember, I've tried practically everything to stop the itchy watery eyes, the itchy nose, and the sneezing and sinus problems that sometimes plague me. I've also been on almost every OTC and prescription allergy med out there. Then about 4 years ago I was given a prescription for Zyrtec 10mg (prior to it going OTC), and at the time it was the answer to my prayers - I even nicknamed it the 'Little Miracle'.

Initially Zyrtec worked better than anything else I'd taken including Claritin, Flonase, Nasonex, Allegra, Benadryl, Sudafed, and even Nyquil (on a few desperate nights - it has a different anti-hystamine than the others), and at least one or two more I can't remember. I also tried some natural remedies, but Zyrtec was the only thing that completely took away the itchiness, redness, and almost all the stuffy-mucous-ness. It allowed me to breath, and it was a minor miracle.

The miracle of Zyrtec lasted for along time - almost 4 full years. I took it daily and I was happy. Then about a month ago it just kind of stopped working. Now maybe I developed a resistance to it? I'm not sure. What I do know is that even while taking it, the itchiness has recently come back and it seems to do nothing.

Now, don't let my most recent experience disuade you from trying it. I would still definitely recommend it to anyone who has full time or seasonal allergies. Unlike some of the meds from the list above, Zyrtec neither made me overly tired nor hyper, and like I said, it worked great. In fact I don't recall ever suffering from any of the side effects that it mentions were possible on the box.

Again, I highly recommend it. Take it, see if it works, and keep taking it....until it doesn't. I'll try again after I'm off of it for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to call it 'the miracle' once again, but hopefully it can be 'the miracle' for you.

Zyrtec Helps Allergy Symptoms but Makes Us Very Sleepy

from North Carolina

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer

Cons

• Causes Drowsiness

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

Zyrtec has been on the market for years and is readily available in many stores, so it is typically easy to find and may be purchased with or without a prescription with the type of insurance we have. My entire family has issues with allergies, both seasonal and year-round and several of us have taken Zyrtec. The price is high - there are some generic medications available but sometimes added ingredients, such as gluten or high fructose corn syrup, may cause problems.

Zyrtec can provide quicker relief than something like a steroidal nasal spray, which usually takes several days before feeling relief; however, it is very hard for two of us to take due to extreme drowsiness. We don't take many medications at all, and one little pill can easily cause my child or me to want to sleep for many hours, making it very difficult to function well due to a sort of brain fog.

Since this one lasts for 24 hours, it helps to take it at bedtime if you are sensitive to it, but often when we want quick relief from allergy symptoms, the timing might not be right for taking it just before bedtime. Not everyone in my household feels so sleepy from this medication and taking it regularly for a week or two would probably lessen the symptoms, but nobody in my family has wanted to take it that many days. We have been able to function minimally by taking a very small (1/2 or 1/4 dose or liquid dose of about 2.5mg) dose.

Another side effect in my children is extreme grumpiness after taking Zyrtec. This can make life difficult at home, at school, well, anywhere you have to be around grouchy kids who are normally pretty nice.

It works better to use a steroidal nasal spray before and during allergy season (or year-round if you have allergies all the time) because it is more effective with a sustained effect and many nasal sprays do not cause as many symptoms throughout the body, such as the drowsiness.

I am only recommending Zyrtec because it can help alleviate allergy symptoms quickly.

Lifesaver

from philadelphia

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Clears Breathing
    • Easy To Administer
    • Effective
    • Fast-Acting
    • Relieves Symptoms Fast

• Everyday
      • Itchy Eyes
      • Runny Nose & Sneezing
      • Sore Throat
      • Travel

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

I suffer from in-door and out-door allergies all year round. I've tried other allergy medications that worked for a while then stop working. Then I found Zyrtec. I have a been taking this for years now and it helps me a lot. Its a little expensive, but I use my coupons to get them at a lower price.

Works really well but makes me drowsy...:(

from Los Angeles, CA

Pros

• Acts Quickly
      • Effective

Cons

• Causes Side Effects

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

Works really well but it makes me incredibly drowsy for a day.

great

from Lawrence, MA

About Me Have Medical Condition

Pros

• Clears Breathing
        • Easy To Administer
        • No Side Effects
        • Relieves Symptoms Fast

• Congestion
          • Everyday
          • Itchy Eyes

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

is a great product for most symptoms but does not help with the sneezing

Zyrtec is the best for allergies

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

My allergy symptoms continued to get worse and worse into adulthood for me. By the time I reached my mid-30s they were at their worst. Sneezing, runny eyes and nose was something I thought I would just have to live with pretty much all year long. That is until Zyrtec came along. Zyrtec has been a great reliever of these symptoms and I can take it every day during the worst allergy seasons. My doctor recommended that I take this product when I was having really bad allergy symptoms on a regular basis. It did not take long at all for Zyrtec to start to tackle my problems. I highly recommend this product!

Zyrtec is very effective at clearing up my watering eyes, sneezing and the general effects of season allergy symptoms.

The fact that you can take one pill a day as often as you need to is a huge plus for me. There are no side effects and Zyrtec works wonderfully! I keep it in stock all year long.

Daily allergy relief

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

I have been taking Zyrtec as my primary allergy medication since it required a perscription, and to be honest I take it in conjunction with another perscription allergy medication. It has done a great job of controlling many of my symptoms such as congestion, itchy eyes, headache and sore throat. The only thing it has not helped to relieve is my allergy related asthma (which is the primary reason I take two medications). I find that with Zyrtec I have to take the medication essentially everyday to maintain relief. If I stop taking it, it takes a few days to get relief after I resume. (My daughter however is able to get very quick relief from her hives in just one dose). I highly recommend taking this medication at night as it can make some people (such as myself) quite drowsy, although for my four year old it does have an empirical effect. (She gets wild). Overall I would recommend this to all allergy sufferers!

Great allergy relief.

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

Zyrtec is a great product that alleviates my allergy symptoms. I take it at night since it does cause some drowsiness, however not enough that I am groggy in the morning. I don't experience any bad side effects like dry mouth or dry nose while taking it. Without this medication I experience bad headaches, itchy and watery eyes and sneezing especially during the height of allergy season.

Disappointing

from Sandwich, IL

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

Very disappointed. The genetic brand works just as well or better for a HUGE difference in price! Not sure what else you can say when a product doesn't measure up to the hype. Pretty frustrating too! My eyes continued to itch, my nose remained stuffed up and I got a headache AFTER taking the Zyrtec!

• Immediacy:

Zyrtec works great but is expensive

from Port Lavaca, TX

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

I have terrible allergies and have tried Claritin but got no relief so moved on to Zyrtec and couldn't be happier with the results. The one problem I have is that it is so expensive. I would rather pay a lot then deal with my allergies though. Zyrtec takes care of my sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, sore scratchy throat, cough and constant phlegm that I normally have. I have even noticed less sinus infectious due to the decrease in mucus. Even though it is expensive, I suppose I get what I pay for. I also like that the pill is pretty small and easy to swallow

Zyrtec takes care of all my allergy symptons.

Zyrtec comes in a small and easy to swallow tablet. I usually have problems swallowing pills but have yet to have any issues with them. They don't start to dissolve quickly in my mouth either.

Immediacy
          When I take Zyrtec I start to notice relief about 45 minutes after I take it, with full results taking a couple of hours.

Great Option for Seasonal Allergies

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Zyrtec Allergy Tablets:

I have terrible seasonal allergies and need to take allergy medication all through the spring and into the summer so it's important to me to have on that is effective with the fewest side effects possible. Zyrtec Allergy Tablets are that for me.

I used Zyrtec for a while when it was still a prescription medicine and really liked it but it was so expensive that I eventually switched to another brand. When it became available as an over the counter medication I started buying it again.

I'm not sure if this is the same strength as it was when it was available as a prescription only, but it's very effective. I need to take only a single pill every day and I'm allergy free. The single dose is great compared to other brands that have you taking four or more per day. I've found that taking it at night with dinner lessens the sleepy feeling and by the time I've gotten up I'm refreshed and not at all groggy feeling.

This works very well for itchy eyes and scratchy throats. It's one of my favorite brands and I definitely recommend it for seasonal allergy sufferers.