View more Drip Coffee Makers

Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker

Pros

Cons

• Brew Performance:

Zoji keeps it hot, while other do not.

This coffee maker was a present to myself, after a searching for a replacement to our old Norelco Dial-a-Brew. I knew I wanted a model that had a thermos, rather than a hot plate, something that would keep the pot fresh during the day. Zoji fit the bill, and really keeps the coffee hot for hours, without burning it and turn into bitter sludge.

This unit has many mixed reviews, so I wouldn't recommend it for people without some threshold of patience. Some quirks noted are that the filters need to be folded down to fit flush (small inconvenience), and that the carafe needs to be lined up with the basket otherwise you might spill over. If you can handle these two items when you are blurry eyed in the morning, the unit really shouldn't present any major issues.

This unit has a powerful heater that gets the coffee in the proper temperature range, it also uses a shower-head system to evenly saturate all grounds. The filters used are #4 cone, so you can readily find them in stores, or use a permanent filter like the Medelco Brand #4 Gold Filter. The unit doesn't have a finished beep like other models, so you need to check when the brewing cycle is over. It also has a basic programmable timer, so you can set it and wake up to a fresh pot.

This unit does a good job of making coffee and keeping it hot for hours. If your looking for a thermal machine, this should be on your list to consider.

This Zojirushi is sucky

I have been terribly disappointed in this coffee maker.  I purchased it about six months ago and right off the bat, I thought the coffee tasted much worse then my cheap Mr Coffee maker used to make.  I read up on what makes a good coffee maker and one key item is the heat of the water.  If the water is not hot enough, no matter what brand coffee you buy, the coffee will not tatse great.  I used an industrial kitchen thermometer and the temp was about ten degrees too cold.  I called the company and they said send it back and they would test it.  They found the same problem and sent me a new one.  This new one had the same problem so I called and again they said send it back.  But this time, they said it tested OK and just sent it back.  So I am stuck with this expensive coffee maker which makes bad coffee.  It looks good and the carafe is fine and all that, but if the coffee tastes poorly, who cares?  Unfortunately I will have to throw it out and find another brand if I want good coffee.

Best Coffee Maker For Money

Comments about Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker:

Coffee should never be made in a pot that sits on a hot plate. This coffee pot brews coffee into a thermal carafe that really keeps the coffee hot. I wake up about an hour and a half before my husband and his coffee is still piping hot from when I brewed it in the morning. Zojirushi has been making thermal carafes and food storage in Japan for decades so they know how to keep coffee hot! Plus, it's all stainless, not glass (some fancy thermal pot coffee makers have glass liners), so you don't have to worry about the carafe breaking.

Brew Performance
Brews quickly and deliciously.

While everything does come apart easily, the carafe opening is narrow and hard to fit a hand into to clean the inside with a sponge.

Set it and forget it.

Very well designed carafe but hot water does run through cold water reservoir in a tube that is not super insulated so that can affect resulting taste of brew if you stick in ice cold water. I prefer it using ice cold water (which cools tube slightly when boiling water is piping through) but some reviews have stated they don't like the taste.

I've had mine for over two years and it's still kicking strong brew out.

This Zojirushi Coffeemaker is high quality with insulator

Comments about Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker:

I was first intrigued by this Zojirushi coffeemaker because I'm already a fan of Zojirushi's rice cookers. Those things are some of the smartest kitchen appliances I've ever seen. So without even trying it out first, I already assumed that the coffeemaker would be just as tech gimmicky, but in a good way.

So, it doesn't come with a ton of flashy gadgeteering. But it is high quality and comes with everything in a coffeemaker that I would want to use. It's digital and programmable. And my favorite: it has an insulated carafe that I can take around the house and it keeps the coffee nice and warm. It has an insulated water heater, too, that's supposed to keep the hot water at an 'optimal' temperature for brewing coffee.

Cleanup is easy for me too. I just rinse it out and use a little brush to get all the loose grounds out. I'll admit it is a bit tricky when I want to actually clean & sterilize it, but other than that, it's a great coffeemaker and I would recommend it!

This Zojirushi is sucky

from El Granada, CA

Pours too slow

from Two Harbors, MN

Comments about Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker:

Hard to clean the insulated carafe, and it pours very slowly.

Brew Performance
Brews quick although sometimes it's hard to tell if it's done.

Opening to carafe is to small to get a hand in to clean thoroughly.

easy

Very nice-looking

Seems durable

• Brew Performance:

Keeps the coffee hot for hours.

from Alpharetta, GA

Comments about Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker:

We purchased the Zojirushi EC-BD15 after reading on-line reviews.  We had previously bought tried coffee makers by both Mr. Coffee and Cuisinart.  The Mr. Coffee would not keep the coffee hot as long as we wanted.  It instead tended to "cook" the coffee, leaving it tasting burnt if left on the warming pad.  The Cuisinart product had a thermal caraffe, which we loved.  We also liked the 12 cup capacity.  Unfortunately, the basket spring broke twice.

I put a lot of time into reading reviews, searching for a coffee pot that #1, would keep the coffee hot all morning, #2, have a stainless steel carafe, #3, make a good tasting product, and #4, be durable.

The Zojirushi EC-BC15 Fresh brew fit all the search requirements.  It has performed well for the 2 years since we purchased it. My only (minor) complaint is that the carafe is only available in a ten cup capacity, instead of the 12 cup I prefer.

Zoji keeps it hot, while other do not.

from Chicago, IL

Get your morning joe with the Zojirushi EC-BD15

from Cardiff By The Sea, CA

Comments about Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker:

We guzzle 8 cups of coffee before leaving for work every morning. We've learned through trial and error that glass carafes don't survive in our household. The last coffeemaker we had was a cool-looking Braun stainless-steel machine that always leaked near the top of the carafe. The Zojirushi EC-BD15 has been bullet-proof and a consistent producer of our morning coffee. Especially before drinking the first cup of coffee, I find the the carafe lid makes it hard to pour.

Off course, it is the best!

from Canyon Country, CA

Comments about Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker:

I am a very royal coffee drinker and does not compromise the taste of coffee.  Especially the one at home.  Yes, I go to Starbucks, but I love making coffee at home.  First thing in the morning, just to smell the aroma of coffee makes me want to get out of the bed and go reach a cup of Java.  So, obviously it is very important to me, the machine which makes coffee.  I purchased and tried at least 10 or more coffee makers, from low end to very high end.  And ended up with this **Zojirushi EC-BD15 Coffeemaker**.  I am a Japanese, so I felt comfortable and trust in this Japanese make coffee maker.  Off course, thie fine **Zojirushi EC-BD15 Coffeemaker **did not betray my faith.  Great aroma, strong taste and very stable out come!  I look forward to go down and make coffee with this **Zojirushi EC-BD15 Coffeemaker **every sigle morning.  The first sip of coffee make me feel if today is a good day of not.  And every day is a good day for me.

The Zojirushi 10 cup coffee maker is easy to use and Versitle

from Spencer, IA

Comments about Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker:

I love my Zojirushi coffee maker.  I had a Zojirushi for 4 years and never had a bit of trouble with it until I left the lid open and didn't move the hot water wand (for lack  of the proper word) over the basket with the coffee grounds.  The water in the reservior became super heated and burned out the heating element.  It was totally my fault, just a slip of the brain.  So I had to go looking for a new coffee maker.  There just isn't anything out there to compare.  We drink tea in the mornings and I can remove the basket to make hot water in the same stainless steel carafe that I use for coffee the rest of the day.  I suppose you could even use it to make a pot of hot chocolate for the kids.  The stainless steel carafe keeps the coffee or tea hot for a good hour.  It stays even hotter if I pre-heat the pot with hot tap water  for awhile before brewing the coffee.  So I ordered a new Zojirushi and I am one happy camper.

Zojirushi Zojirushi Fresh Brew thermal-carafe coffee maker rocks

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Zojirushi 1.5-Liter Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker:

**The Zojirushi Zojirushi Fresh Brew thermal-carafe coffee maker rocks.  I love the part where my coffee stays hot and fresh and I never have to nuke it.  Makes great coffee last till the pot empties.  Very worth the price.  I would recommend the **Zojirushi Zojirushi Fresh Brew thermal-carafe coffee maker** ****to all of my coffee loving friends and co-workers.  I work nights and live on coffee.  A good carafe that keeps coffee fresh and hot is well worth the price and that is exactly what this carafe does.   When you make coffee in a glass coffee pot, if it is not drunk within a couple of hours, the coffee becomes bitter.  With this carafe, the coffee can be over a couple of hours old and never becomes bitter.  It tastes as good and fresh as when it was first made.  My personal favorite is that  it is easy to use and everyone thinks you can work magic when you make great coffee.  My family all want their own **Zojirushi Zojirushi Fresh Brew thermal-carafe coffee maker** for Christmas.  **