Other Food Storages:
Ziploc
Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container

Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container

Handy for leftover storage and reheating

Like just about everyone else, we have leftovers on a regular basis and need a way to conveniently store and re-serve them. Sometimes it's leftover food that we cooked ourselves and sometimes it's extras that we carry home from a restaurant in a doggie bag. Either way, it has to be stored, managed, and usually re-heated and served. Containers that make this process easy are my friends.

This container is made by Ziploc, the company that became famous for its easy-to-seal plastic bags. It has a storage capacity of two cups (16 ounces or 473 ml) and it consists of a lower bowl-shaped section of translucent plastic and a screw-on lid of blue plastic. Both are made from polypropylene, a somewhat slippery-feeling plastic that has been around for years.

This Ziploc 2 Cup container is claimed by the manufacturer to be microwave safe and dishwasher safe, and I have used it many times in the microwave with no major problems. I always hand wash it, but can see no reason why it would be a problem in a dishwasher.

There are a couple things about this container that I really like. First, the lid screws on and will not pop off accidentally. If a sealed container slips out of my fingers and falls to the floor, the lid will not pop off. Also, since the container is bowl-shaped, it does not have corners where the food is hard to dig out. Finally, there is a wide lip under the rim of the bowl that lets me carry the bowl easily even after food has been heated a little too hot in the microwave. The bowl itself can be hotter than heck, but the wide lip makes it easy to carry -- although it takes two hands.

On the downside, the polypropylene plastic can be permanently damaged if you heat food a little too high. The bowl pictured above already has permanent scorch marks from overheated food. You also have to remember to unscrew the lid before heating in the microwave. If you don't unscrew the lid, you could have quite the bomb. Finally, my hands are just about big enough to easily screw/unscrew the lid. Any child younger than 12 will probably find it very difficult or even impossible to manage the lid. It takes at least an average-sized adult female hand to easily open this container.

If you're not careful, you could mis-thread the lid and have it not seal tightly. On the other hand, a few of these things stack neatly in the fridge or on a shelf. I had one of these shatter when I took some frozen leftovers out of the freezer and the container slipped from my fingers. Overall though, I find these Ziploc 2 Cup containers easy to use for both storage and re-heating. The mostly clear plastic makes it easy to see what's in the container without opening it.

As for the cost... I don't know. My wife bought them and I don't recall the price.

My bottom line is that these are good containers, particularly if you don't have younger kids that might need to open and seal the containers. They are a good size for taking a serving of soup to work for lunch, and they are excellent for storing sugar, flour and other products so that insects and mice can't get at them.

I recommend this Ziploc 2 Cup store-and-serve container.

Not Great for Liquids

Although I generally prefer Ziploc's Twist n Loc containers for liquids these are great for dry items.

I used to use these for everything but I found that if you put them in your tote bag the little tab can get caught and lift the edge just enough to allow any sauce, dressing, or juice to leak a little.

These also stain horribly when you use them for tomato based products and you just never can get that stain out.

They also tend to collect odors which is unfortunate if you tend to use them for multiple applications.

I now use these mainly for things like macaroni and cheese, bread pudding, etc. Things that are solid and don't have a lot of sauce that could leak if the edge pulls up. They work very nicely for this.

Although these are good for some things I'm slowly switching all my containers to the Twist N Loc containers that are good for everything. It's annoying to have to have multiple containers for different things.

A brand that you can trust!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

I have always been a fan of the Ziploc brand. They make a good quality product. The 2 Cup Ziploc Storage Containers were just as great as I had hoped. I like using products that are BPA free. I just feel like they are more safe for my family. These containers are just that. These containers are a good price. They aren't too expensive at all. They aren't Ziploc's strongest containers, but they still work really well. The plastic is tough enough. These lids push on pretty on good. They seal well enough to keep things fresh and they keep it sealed tightly. I have dropped these before and they don't usually break. I had a lid crack once, but that was after having it for a couple of years. For the price you can afford to switch them out after awhile. These containers are the perfect size for cut up fruits and veggies, small food items and a single serving of leftovers. They also make good containers for storing items in from craft project item, to kids little toys, to nails and screws. They stack well. I would buy these again. They are strong little containers and work great!

These Containers Do Have Their Uses

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

Due to my recent attempt to cut down on the plastics in my life I do not reheat or freeze food in these containers any longer but have switched to glass food storage and serving containers. That being said these containers do have their place in my kitchen and I will continue to purchase a few. Around the Holidays I give gifts of homemade cookies and candies and for that purpose these are great. Relatively reasonably priced containers that you can send food to potlucks in or give gifts in and if it doesn't come home there is not a problem.

They are also great for storage in the diaper bag, sewing room, my husbands garage and small items like barrettes, cotton balls and Qtips in the bathroom. They tend to seal well and especially when newer .

For years I did use these in the kitchen for food and after time they do crack, especially the lids. I have also used them in both the freezer and refrigerator. As the containers are used repeatedly over time the lids loosen and will leak. If you warm food in the microwave in them they will bubble, pit and stain. Eventually they simply go to the trash.

These are basically a cheaper version of Tupperware and that is exactly what they are. With a relatively short storage life if used in the microwave but will last much longer if not. I wait until the manufacturer puts out a good coupon or they go on sale and then buy a few packs to last the year.

Not Great for Liquids

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

Great throw away or loan away container.

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

The Ziploc storage containers are wonderful to have on hand at big meal gatherings so that people can take leftovers home with them without spilling it. These aren't completely spill proof, but for a throw away type container they do a pretty good job at being spill resistant. The price isn't too bad for the simple convenience that these containers provide at gatherings. I have used these for a variety of foods and even reheated some foods in the microwave in them. They stain pretty easily and can warp and melt if pushed to the limit. But overall for the price, they are decent containers. I know some people even use these instead of more permanent storage containers and they are completely happy with them. The clear containers and lids make identifying the contents easy in the fridge when you've got a bunch of leftovers packed up. You can also feel free to use a dry erase marker or even a permanent marker on these and not think that you are messing up good containers. The convenience and flexibility of these is wonderful.

They last for years

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

I just reused two of these containers to store some lasagna that I portioned out from the pan to set aside individual meals. The particular containers I used today are 6 years old. They are very economical, and have lasted through many uses, including freezing meals and microwaving them to eat later, and after all this time, they still seal. They have stains, and a few subtle spice odors from what was stored in them over time, and the lids have to be pressed on all four corners firmly so that the product seals, but all in all, they have held up better than expected. This container is definitely worth its price.

Ziploc 2 Cup Storage

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

I used to buy the big (4 cup) Ziploc storage containers before I realized there was a smaller version just for the purposes of storing smaller amounts. If I had a little bit of leftover mash potato for instance, I would freeze it in the big container leaving the majority of the container empty - which doesn't make for successful freezing! The 2 cup Ziploc storage container is perfect for my childrens' school lunch boxes - I pack them with home made chicken nuggets. I carry one in my back pack all the time, filled with snacks in case someone gets low blood sugar. What's particularly marvelous about these containers is not only are they good for storing food, freezing it and then microwaving it, it is also good for serving in therefore cutting down on washing up. I have noticed that if you cook your food for too long, they turn somewhat opaque with bubbly bits on them but if there's no holes, they're still good to use. They really are very inexpensive. I have a whole kitchen drawer full of varying sizes of Ziploc containers which I've received from other people when they've brought round food to my house, and they in turn have kept mine when I've taken food round to their houses. I do sometimes worry that the container I've inherited is in better condition that the container I gave away but it's the thought that counts!

Convenient & easy to use - party perfect!

from Middleburg, VA

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

I absolutely love these Ziploc containers. First, they are the perfect size for storing chopped meat & veggies that I have prepared for me and my hubby. Two cups is just right for almost any of my cooking needs. They are also great for bringing food like dip and veggies to parties - its so much more convenient to bring a container that I can leave behind and not have to worry about finding, washing, and bringing home. They look better than messily plastic wrapped plates, too. I love that they are stackable - it makes storing them in the fridge and freezer a pinch. They are a great size for leftovers and for packed lunches.

I absolutely trust the Ziploc brand for all of my storage needs. Their storage containers - especially the two-cup ones - are just another addition to Ziploc's line of convenience-adding storage solutions.

Oh, and these are great for storing more than just food - try office supplies, craft supplies, and little toys (like Legos) as well!

Serves its purpose.

from Lexington, NC

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

I like the idea of having a container that you can send home with someone without having to worry about whether or not you will get it back.  When they first came out, I thought it was a super idea.  Obviously many people have, because a lot of them are sold.  However, I have found that my family and friends save them and keep re-using them, so that they do not waste them.  They are a little on the pricey side, so you do not want to just throw them away, and I personally feel guilty about disposing of decent plastic containers.  But they are made to throw away after a few uses.  You can tell that if you try to microwave anything in them.  They get little pits in them where the microwave starts to melt them, and everything stains them.  So the end result is that my family and I have ended up with a ton of little beat up looking containers to keep from throwing them into the landfill.  I could have just bought a nice set of Rubbermaid for about the same cost with the express purpose of not caring whether I got them back.  Then at least we would have sturdy, nice-looking containers.

Finally - a container that I trust!

from Moncks Corner, SC

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

I have used several different big brands and off brand "tupperware containers" (as we call them) for storing leftover foods in my house.  I've never found one that really left me feeling confident that the food was stored and wouldnt' spill or stay fresh.  With these containers, the lid actually screws onto the bowl.  I can now store soup and not worry that the kids will pull the container out of the refrigerator and have it spill all over the floor because the lid came off of it.  They're great!  Another thing that I use them for is packing my lunch for work.  It is just large enough that if you want to take a large serving/helping of food then this will hold it, or if you want to take a smaller sized portion/helping it will hold that, too.  They are microwave and dishwasher safe.

I've owned mine for a few months and I have found that a few of them have a white "ring" around them inside and I'm not sure if it is from baking things (in the microwave) in them or what it is from.  It comes clean, but it seems to have that line.  If you're looking for a good container that you can trust....this is it!

Awesome for Baby Snacks

from Mount Braddock, PA

Comments about Ziploc 2 Cup Storage Container:

These containers are awesome! I use them everyday & own a dozen of them. I pack the babies their snacks in them for daycare. They are also great for my road trips. I can just hand them a bowl and don't have to worry about the whole bag being spilled all over the van.