2.2

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Pleased card carrier of a Zip Car membership

I became a Zip Car member about two years ago. Living in Chicago, I was fortunate to be able to sell my own car and depend on public transportation and cabs to get around. Of course there is the occasional need for a car and I definitely didn't want to spend a lot of money.

**The upside:**

- $50 annual membership fee - that's cheap

- Membership includes insurance coverage & gas

- Average rate per hour = $9 (mostly 4-door Acura, Honda, Toyota models)

- Zip Car provides the gas card in every vehicle for fill ups

- Nice assortment of vehicles (mostly medium sized sedans)

- Never had a problem finding a car for the time slot I needed

- Cars are always reasonably clean inside and gassed up

- Zip Car lots seem to be ALL OVER the place which is super convenient

- Making reservations online is crazy easy

- Zip Car mobile app is easy and free

- 24/7 Customer Service Support where you get to talk to an actual HUMAN (Chicago)

- Zip Car Card = Key to unlock car you reserved (oh, technology!)

**The downside:**

- Pick Up/Drop Off at same location - would be nice to have option to return car at another location if needed

- If you reserve a car that is damaged and you don't report it before using - you can be liable for those damages if no one else reported it either.

The pros outweigh the cons for me so I'm very pleased. I'll renew my membership next year.

Absolutely Horrifying Experience!

Had to share this...On Friday, March 26th, I picked up a Zipcar for a 3 day trip. Got the car and everything worked fine. Reached one of my destinations and the card reader for the Zipcar no longer worked. Spent 2 hours and 27 minutes on the phone with Zipcar Rep who was attempting to troubleshoot the problem with no luck. Out of the blue, she states she just received a low battery warning from the car sent to their system and to start the car and keep it running. After troubleshooting, the rep. then thinks it could be my card and has me search the vehicle for the spare Zipcards that are supposed to be located in the trunk of the cars but there is only an empty clear pocket in the trunk where THE ZIPCARDS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE. After this, the rep. states for me to drive back to the home location and wait an hour for the other(1of2) Zipcar to be returned so we can try a Zipcard located in the trunk of that car. However, the car was there when I returned and wasn't checked out and my card worked on the car and the rep finally stated it wasn't my card but the card reader in the Civic. Then, the rep. places me on hold to get in touch with a home office who calls me 2 hours later and states they're putting the car in a mode where only the key will unlock and lock the doors for access to the car for the remainder of my reservation.

...Everything went fine during the reservation...

Time to return the car on 3/29: After calling them to have them remotely lock the car and end my reservation because it was not possible by the Zipcard, I went about my day thinking I was good to go. Checked the bill and come to find out there is an $850 dollar extra milage charge and it was processed through to my credit card. Called the Zipcar 24 hour customer service and she states the card reader issue would not interfere with the mileage and was I sure I didn't travel that much! NO, because 1,891 extra miles is over half the distance of traveling across the United States. The rep. asks me did I use the gas card with the correct mileage, and yes I did which only cost about $40 for the 3 days. She states someone will contact me in 3-5 days by email after checking the gas card and mileage. I doubt they'll be contacting me as I am still waiting for a reimbursement for purchases for a previous reservation of a car wash and tag light bulbs.

I've been a member for less than a month and this experience has absolutely been horrifying. I won't be using Zipcar after this experience and definitely won't be referring Zipcar for anyone!

Hate this company

from New York

Comments about Zipcar:

Two times I reserved a car, both times I had to stand outside waiting in the cold. 20 minutes late both times. The worst part is they had other cars available.

I will not use zip car services in the future

from Denver, Colorado

Comments about Zipcar:

Got a month long membership to use one time for a vacation trip of a few days. Was informed that I would be able to rent/operate a vehicle using the phone application. Upon arrival, I am then told that I am unable to operate a vehicle without the zipcard, which will be mailed to me in a few days. I immediately went to cancel my membership and seek reimbursement, since the services that I was told would be available to me were not accessible. I was then told by Zipcar that I would not be fully reimbursed since my application had already been processed, but that they would happily cancel my new account with them.

In the end, Zipcar took my money even though none of their services were used, and I ended up having to spend even more on transportation for the trip, since Zipcar was unable to provide it as promised.

Worst Experience- Do NOT Add Members to Household!!

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Zipcar:

-Added a friend to a household- no mention of fees or cost associated
-Credit card charged $25 application fee, $25 annual fee (That's the point of a household!! You're only supposed to have ONE annual fee!)
-No emails or notifications from zipcar that I had been charged (sneaky!)
-Called support and was told it was in the "Terms and Conditions"
-Looked and there was no such clause about households
-No refunds or credits

dont use them!

from denver, co

Comments about Zipcar:

i had used zipcar in the past. i re-signed up for it, but within 2 hours, my plans changed. i immediately called them and asked to cancel and for a refund. it has been almost 2 weeks, and they have not refunded ANYTHING. not worth it!

One of the worst customer experiences I have had

from New York, New York

Comments about Zipcar:

I signed up 12 hours ago online. I received an confirmation of registration email that tells me to pick up my zipcard at the local office with is only open when I can't get to the office. So I called (12 hours later) to get a refund because it will be next to impossible for me to pick up the zipcard during their hours of operation. The customer service rep tells me, Zipcar will charge me the fee anyway. I protested that I hadn't even use the service and Zipcar will charge me for a service I had not had the benefit of using. What a disgrace to have a customer pay for a service they could not use.

Fees on top of fees

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Zipcar:

I have been unsung zipcar for 3 months and I've spent hundreds of dollars on fees. One example is them not letting you know that your transaction didn't go through but charge you fees anyway and let you drive. One problem that im having now is a $176 fee for not scanning my card over the reader to lock the doors. I called the rep and she explained the fee and she said its in the policy that they charge for that. I'm still sitting her looking for the guidelines on their site about that all I can see is that they state to lock the doors by scanning but not a fee not to mention they charged me for this two months ago and I'm just getting it. The invoice state that every 3 days of not paying they will add $30 on to the fee.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Promotions are a parlor trick of smoke and mirriors

from Brooklyn,NY

Comments about Zipcar:

Zipcar is okay for a here to their trip, mostly for drop off and pickups. Now on to promotions, its smoke and mirrors. They are running a promotion from Feb 2016- April 2016. If you take 3 trips in one month you receive a credit of $10 up to $20 which equals 5 trips. You most opt into the promotion it is not auto. which they tell you once you find this unadvertised promotion. But they don't tell you that you must opt in before you complete the trips. Go thing I opted in last month in march be for I completed the trips right.....wrong this month there is no record of my opt. in. Oh, and did I tell you I live in New York but I have to call the headquarters in San Francisco, California ( the only Number on the website) and they have no real info because I live in NY so the forward my issue to NY. Don't ask for the local NY number because they can't give that out. Nor do you get a ref. number for your issue they don't do that either so after three days the local office emailed me and said I did not opt-in to the promotion. Also sometimes the car is dirty, keys are missing and they have switched my car reservation's twice, one the brakes were bad and the other time it just would not start. But if after reading this you still want to take a chance on Zipcar and you don't have a certain time frame for a trip do it between the hours of 12:30 am and 5:30 am the rates are half the price but they will never tell you that. Me being the Frugal Diva I am I happen to stumble upon it. I committed to a year so I guess I have to ride this out, Pun intended, LOL

No more Zipcar!!!

from Detroit MI

Comments about Zipcar:

I used them a couple of years ago and I liked them. I used them again recently and with my first 8 interactions, 6 of them were terrible. Key was missing, car was trashed, car wasn't there, no customer service, Zipcar was down, customer service was rude, I cannot believe how much I put up with!!!

It's sad, they really were handy back int eh day, but I'm never ever using them again.

Beware of fees

from Richmond, Virginia

Comments about Zipcar:

At first it was fine and super convenient to use. Extending the reservation is super easy to do, so that was great.
But they just charged me a random fee of $100 because the car needed a new battery. They aren't giving me any answers on whether or not I was actually the last person to use the car or not. They said they suspect it was because the lights were left on but I'm sure they were left on Auto. They are also very unforgiving about arriving late. 2 or 3 minutes late and they still charge you a $50 fee plus an additional hour. I arrived 3 minutes late and i had called ahead of time. When i called they told me they could make arrangements to get me to avoid a late fee but then my card was charged anyway.

Also, you really can't drive more than an hour away with the car because then they charge you extra miles fees.

WORST HOUR AND A HALF EVER

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about Zipcar:

Got in the car, there was no gas in it. I had to drive three minutes away to the nearest gas station. After putting gas in, the car would not start. Literally almost every light on the dash was on, I had to call Zipcar, who had to call roadside assistance to come and jumpstart the car. The jumpstart did NOT WORK, the car was basically dead. Zipcar told me to just leave it there at the gas station, then I just walked home, because I was literally 5 minutes from where I started. I'm just going to rent a legitimate car.