2.1

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:
    • I received a sample (7), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (4)

Pleased card carrier of a Zip Car membership

I became a Zip Car member about two years ago. Living in Chicago, I was fortunate to be able to sell my own car and depend on public transportation and cabs to get around. Of course there is the occasional need for a car and I definitely didn't want to spend a lot of money.

**The upside:**

- $50 annual membership fee - that's cheap

- Membership includes insurance coverage & gas

- Average rate per hour = $9 (mostly 4-door Acura, Honda, Toyota models)

- Zip Car provides the gas card in every vehicle for fill ups

- Nice assortment of vehicles (mostly medium sized sedans)

- Never had a problem finding a car for the time slot I needed

- Cars are always reasonably clean inside and gassed up

- Zip Car lots seem to be ALL OVER the place which is super convenient

- Making reservations online is crazy easy

- Zip Car mobile app is easy and free

- 24/7 Customer Service Support where you get to talk to an actual HUMAN (Chicago)

- Zip Car Card = Key to unlock car you reserved (oh, technology!)

**The downside:**

- Pick Up/Drop Off at same location - would be nice to have option to return car at another location if needed

- If you reserve a car that is damaged and you don't report it before using - you can be liable for those damages if no one else reported it either.

The pros outweigh the cons for me so I'm very pleased. I'll renew my membership next year.

Absolutely Horrifying Experience!

Had to share this...On Friday, March 26th, I picked up a Zipcar for a 3 day trip. Got the car and everything worked fine. Reached one of my destinations and the card reader for the Zipcar no longer worked. Spent 2 hours and 27 minutes on the phone with Zipcar Rep who was attempting to troubleshoot the problem with no luck. Out of the blue, she states she just received a low battery warning from the car sent to their system and to start the car and keep it running. After troubleshooting, the rep. then thinks it could be my card and has me search the vehicle for the spare Zipcards that are supposed to be located in the trunk of the cars but there is only an empty clear pocket in the trunk where THE ZIPCARDS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE. After this, the rep. states for me to drive back to the home location and wait an hour for the other(1of2) Zipcar to be returned so we can try a Zipcard located in the trunk of that car. However, the car was there when I returned and wasn't checked out and my card worked on the car and the rep finally stated it wasn't my card but the card reader in the Civic. Then, the rep. places me on hold to get in touch with a home office who calls me 2 hours later and states they're putting the car in a mode where only the key will unlock and lock the doors for access to the car for the remainder of my reservation.

...Everything went fine during the reservation...

Time to return the car on 3/29: After calling them to have them remotely lock the car and end my reservation because it was not possible by the Zipcard, I went about my day thinking I was good to go. Checked the bill and come to find out there is an $850 dollar extra milage charge and it was processed through to my credit card. Called the Zipcar 24 hour customer service and she states the card reader issue would not interfere with the mileage and was I sure I didn't travel that much! NO, because 1,891 extra miles is over half the distance of traveling across the United States. The rep. asks me did I use the gas card with the correct mileage, and yes I did which only cost about $40 for the 3 days. She states someone will contact me in 3-5 days by email after checking the gas card and mileage. I doubt they'll be contacting me as I am still waiting for a reimbursement for purchases for a previous reservation of a car wash and tag light bulbs.

I've been a member for less than a month and this experience has absolutely been horrifying. I won't be using Zipcar after this experience and definitely won't be referring Zipcar for anyone!

Left stranded

from Florida

Comments about Zipcar:

We live in FL and my 19 yo daughter needed to travel to CT - since she is not 21 Zipcar was the only option. Reserved car a month in advance - my daughter got there and guess what ... NO CAR! All zipcar said was ... we are sorry. SORRY? My child is there without a way to get anywhere!!!! Unacceptable - they said there were no other cars that they could get for her. She was alone stranded in a different state without means of transportation! Just awful - parents nightmare! They kept saying... sorry but there is nothing we can do. Then I called every car rental company and not s single one would rent to a 19 yo. DONT USE THIS COMPANY !!! They could care less of the situation they left my daughter in. Then to top it off... they refused to refund the application fee... the only reason she signed up was for this trip! JUST AWFUL!!!

Do NOT give them your money!

from Alexandria, Va

Comments about Zipcar:

Actually zero stars! This is the worst scam company I have ever had the misfortune of attempting to patronize. They could care less about customer service, run off with your money, and the ONE and ONLY person in the company who can issue a refund does not have a direct line that is known to even the managers of the customer service department! All the red flags of a poorly run sham company. I joined Zip Car to use when I have to visit a job site that is unrealistic with public transportation or Uber. I paid my dues, patiently waited for my card to arrive in the mail, watched all of the online videos preparing me for the experience and made my first reservation. I caught a ride to the car site with plenty of time to acclimate and get to work early. Guess what? The car literally would NOT OPEN! Unbelievable. I called them on the spot and my reservation was in place. They said there was nothing they could do except refund the reservation and that I would have to go into the city to locate another working zipcar. That meant a 30+ minute ride into the city in an Uber and then an hour+ drive to the job site from wherever there was a working zipcar. I've never heard such absurdity suggested in my life. I ended up just buying a new car so as to never have to deal with this again and risk loosing my job because of a scam "car share" company. I've spoken to 4 "customer service" reps in the last month asking for a full refund and cancellation of my membership. They all say they'll pass it on but one month in my card is being charged the upgraded insurance fee once again and no one has taken any responsibility or been helpful in any way. They all just mention this mysterious person who may be able to issue refunds but who doesn't have a direct line. So I'll just have to make myself available to answer whenever they call in the next 1-2 business days. They are a complete scam!

Terrible customer service

from New York City

Comments about Zipcar:

I eliminated the 'damage waiver' but it kept on showing up in my monthly bill. I called customer service and the rep said he would do it, when I requested an email confirmation of the change, he told me Zipcar doesn't send confirmation emails because 'This is a self-service company' and I should just check it myself. When I told him the reason I was calling to begin with was because IT continued to appear on my bill and I wanted to make sure it was done, he refused. If Zipcar fancies itself digital native and a self-service company, then it needs to start acting like one. They lost a customer today, I closed my account and taking my business elsewhere. Zipcar is expensive but if you want my money, at least work for it; otherwise, it is not worth it.

Absolutely horrible customer service

from Massachusetts

Comments about Zipcar:

I cancelled my membership with Zipcar on March 2016 now and March 2017 I realized they have been charging me a $9 fee every month since last year I called them on the 20th to find out why they have been charging me they told me that their person never cancelled out my account and then I had a balance of $97 I've been questioned how I had a balance of $97 if I cancelled my account and they were charging $9 a month from my account I was told that nobody could help me with my refund because my case had to be sent to member services and that member services would be getting in contact with me within 48 hours a week later still no contact but I want on my credit card statement and they charged me $97 so I called them back of course they said the same thing nobody here can help you your case needs to be sent to member services they'll be in touch within 48 hours. So here I am 48 hours later still no email still no call I called my credit card company since March of 2016 they have charged me $238 for services that I cancelled one year ago!!!! When I realized they charged me the 97$ on the 20 I called to find out why and how this was possible again! "Oh your case needs to be sent to member service they will be intouch with you in 48 hrs......." Are you kidding me????? Can a course of one year you charged me $238 for services that I did not use due to the fact of I got my own car and cancelled their services but you can't find somebody to get in touch with to give me a refund no I'm a single mom of two children and I cannot afford to let a company take $238 out of my children's mouth

Horrible customer service

from Massachusetts

Comments about Zipcar:

So I was a member of Zipcar I cancelled my membership in March of 2016. I then noticed on march 19th 2017 they were still charging me $9 for a membership fee every month even after I cancelled my membership when I called for a refund they told me I had a bill of $97 which could be impossible if they are charging me $9 a month and I cancelled my membership a year ago but when I called them to fix the problem they told me I had to wait 48 hours for somebody that email me back needless to say nobody got in touch with me and then on the 21st they charged my credit card the $97 so now here I am with them charging me $238 over the past year and nobody calling me back or giving me an explanation on why I can't get my money back I am a single mother of two children and I did not authorize them to take my money. And they should have people that are available to fix these problems!!! Not "oh your case needs to be sent to member services and they will get back to within 48 hrs." And a week later still nothing...

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

VERY DECEIVING!!! WOULDN'T EVEN GIVE IT ANY STARS!!!

from CA

Comments about Zipcar:

I would like to inform everyone that this is service that should not be used or recommended to anyone! Very deceiving and gold-digging. You only have 180 miles MAX to drive in their cars. If you exceed, you are charged .45/mile!! Zipcar gave a false advertisement when promoting their 24-hour rental saying that its only $77/day or whatsoever it was (at this point I'm just done with Zipcar). EXCEEDING 180 MILE WAS NEVER MENTIONED AT ALL!!! NOT IN THE ADVERTISEMENT NOR THE RESERVATION ITSELF!!!! IT WAS WHEN I FINALLY WAS CHARGED FOR IT THAT I CALLED TO QUESTION IT. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE REFERRED ME TO THE FAQS AND THERE IT WAS. SAYING:

"Each reservation includes 180 miles per day (200 kilometers for Canada).* That means you can drive up to 180 miles during the course of your reservation and not get charged extra.

If you drive more than 180 miles, here's how it breaks down.

Reservations lasting 24 hours or shorter:

180 miles included(200 kilometers for Canada)
Reservations exceeding 24 hours:

180 miles included for each 24-hour period (200 kilometers for Canada)
20 miles (15 kilometers in Canada) included for each additional hour of your reservation until you reach 180 miles
$0.45 for each additional mile (up to $0.55 for premium vehicles and cargo vans)"

AGAIN THIS WAS NOT MENTIONED ANYWHERE AT ANYTIME AND ANY POINT OF MY RESERVATION NOR THE ADVERTISEMENT AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IF IT WAS BEING HONEST!!!! ZIPCAR IS VERY DECEIVING!!! IT DEFINITELY KNOWS HOW TO WORK AROUND YOU TO GOBBLE UP YOUR MONEY!!!!! VERY TWO-FACED!!! BE AWARE!! I REALLY DON'T RECOMMEND THIS FALSE SERVICE TO ANYONE!

Must cancel BEFORE renewal date

from Sunnyvale, CA

Comments about Zipcar:

Before signing up, users should know that ZIpcar will only cancel your membership on your renewal date. They will not allow you to cancel mid-year and give you a pro-rated refund of the membership fee. They are hoping that you will forget to call them before your renewal date so they can automatically charge your credit card the membership fee.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Rip off and false advertisement

from Corvallis, Oregon

Comments about Zipcar:

I signed up for zip car through a university account before I came to college. I came down without anyone here to help me and I was planning on being able to use a zip car to get things I needed for my dorm. First, it took almost an extra week for the card to arrive to my parents house. Once I finally received the card, I excitedly tried to book a car for a store run and was promptly informed by the app that I was unable to do such a thing due to age restriction. I am 19 and on the app and website it said that I should be able to rent cars since I was through a university. I tried any car within a walking radius, all of them were unavailable to me due to age. I called the company to see what was going on, they told me that I could only use cars on the university campus, when I said that I was trying those ones they looked again and saw that I could actually only rent the ones that were over 6 miles away, not quite walking distance in the winter. They were very helpful with closing my account immediately after telling me that but I was still out the money for the membership fee and their inefficiency and unclear rules made the adjustment to college life much more stressful and drawn out.

Hate this company

from New York

Comments about Zipcar:

Two times I reserved a car, both times I had to stand outside waiting in the cold. 20 minutes late both times. The worst part is they had other cars available.

I will not use zip car services in the future

from Denver, Colorado

Comments about Zipcar:

Got a month long membership to use one time for a vacation trip of a few days. Was informed that I would be able to rent/operate a vehicle using the phone application. Upon arrival, I am then told that I am unable to operate a vehicle without the zipcard, which will be mailed to me in a few days. I immediately went to cancel my membership and seek reimbursement, since the services that I was told would be available to me were not accessible. I was then told by Zipcar that I would not be fully reimbursed since my application had already been processed, but that they would happily cancel my new account with them.

In the end, Zipcar took my money even though none of their services were used, and I ended up having to spend even more on transportation for the trip, since Zipcar was unable to provide it as promised.