Other Rental Cars:

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:
    • I received a sample (9), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (5)

Pleased card carrier of a Zip Car membership

I became a Zip Car member about two years ago. Living in Chicago, I was fortunate to be able to sell my own car and depend on public transportation and cabs to get around. Of course there is the occasional need for a car and I definitely didn't want to spend a lot of money.

**The upside:**

- $50 annual membership fee - that's cheap

- Membership includes insurance coverage & gas

- Average rate per hour = $9 (mostly 4-door Acura, Honda, Toyota models)

- Zip Car provides the gas card in every vehicle for fill ups

- Nice assortment of vehicles (mostly medium sized sedans)

- Never had a problem finding a car for the time slot I needed

- Cars are always reasonably clean inside and gassed up

- Zip Car lots seem to be ALL OVER the place which is super convenient

- Making reservations online is crazy easy

- Zip Car mobile app is easy and free

- 24/7 Customer Service Support where you get to talk to an actual HUMAN (Chicago)

- Zip Car Card = Key to unlock car you reserved (oh, technology!)

**The downside:**

- Pick Up/Drop Off at same location - would be nice to have option to return car at another location if needed

- If you reserve a car that is damaged and you don't report it before using - you can be liable for those damages if no one else reported it either.

The pros outweigh the cons for me so I'm very pleased. I'll renew my membership next year.

Absolutely Horrifying Experience!

Had to share this...On Friday, March 26th, I picked up a Zipcar for a 3 day trip. Got the car and everything worked fine. Reached one of my destinations and the card reader for the Zipcar no longer worked. Spent 2 hours and 27 minutes on the phone with Zipcar Rep who was attempting to troubleshoot the problem with no luck. Out of the blue, she states she just received a low battery warning from the car sent to their system and to start the car and keep it running. After troubleshooting, the rep. then thinks it could be my card and has me search the vehicle for the spare Zipcards that are supposed to be located in the trunk of the cars but there is only an empty clear pocket in the trunk where THE ZIPCARDS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE. After this, the rep. states for me to drive back to the home location and wait an hour for the other(1of2) Zipcar to be returned so we can try a Zipcard located in the trunk of that car. However, the car was there when I returned and wasn't checked out and my card worked on the car and the rep finally stated it wasn't my card but the card reader in the Civic. Then, the rep. places me on hold to get in touch with a home office who calls me 2 hours later and states they're putting the car in a mode where only the key will unlock and lock the doors for access to the car for the remainder of my reservation.

...Everything went fine during the reservation...

Time to return the car on 3/29: After calling them to have them remotely lock the car and end my reservation because it was not possible by the Zipcard, I went about my day thinking I was good to go. Checked the bill and come to find out there is an $850 dollar extra milage charge and it was processed through to my credit card. Called the Zipcar 24 hour customer service and she states the card reader issue would not interfere with the mileage and was I sure I didn't travel that much! NO, because 1,891 extra miles is over half the distance of traveling across the United States. The rep. asks me did I use the gas card with the correct mileage, and yes I did which only cost about $40 for the 3 days. She states someone will contact me in 3-5 days by email after checking the gas card and mileage. I doubt they'll be contacting me as I am still waiting for a reimbursement for purchases for a previous reservation of a car wash and tag light bulbs.

I've been a member for less than a month and this experience has absolutely been horrifying. I won't be using Zipcar after this experience and definitely won't be referring Zipcar for anyone!

Zip car sucks

from Philadelphia

Comments about Zipcar:

Horrible horrible horrible!!! I had they service for about 2yrs , they just cancelled my membership over a misunderstanding!! I am very upset with them ! Please proceed with precautions

Please Don't!

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about Zipcar:

I wrote a Zipcar review a while ago on another site. I thought I should do so on some other sites as well. Think of this as advice from a friend who doesn't want you to go through what I did. So here goes:

DON'T. DO. THIS! You are playing with fire. Sure, it's a great idea, and the convenience makes it SO tempting. For a couple months, it was heaven for me.

And then I learned the serious flaw with the business model: A car is too expensive a thing to rent on the "honor system." Bicycles, sure. But not cars. When you park the car at the end of your rental, who checks it in? Who from Zipcar sees it? The answer is, NOBODY. Say you bring your rental back to its parking place in pristine condition, but 30 minutes later somebody throws a brick at it. Or keys it. Or even worse, the next renter trashes it and then calls it in. In all of these scenarios, the fault will be YOURS. And there's nothing you can do about it. I returned a car in perfect condition. Even took it to a carwash. When I got an email from Zipcar about how the next renter found it in such "bad shape," I was flabbergasted. I dropped them like a hot potato. Because if this scenario happens 3 times, you can actually be fined--and I wanted no part of that.

With this type of car rental (and it's not just Zipcar anymore) there are too many variables completely out of your control that can affect you BADLY. It's basically car rental roulette. If you're a risk-taker, fine. But know this: Sooner or later you'll be jammed up, and there will be no way to fight it. My STRONG advice is: Stick with the old-fashioned pick-up-at-the-agency approach. That way, when you're done and the car is officially checked in, there's nothing more to worry about.

Hawaii Vacation

from Hawaii

Comments about Zipcar:

We went to Hawaii for our Anniversary starting 08-04-17. We decided to try out Zipcar, it sounded perfect for our vacation. Rent a car when you need, by the hour not by the day. This was perfect for our detail itinerary we had worked on for 8 months before our trip. I went to the website, payed the registration fee, and annual fee. It was that simple, I was now a proud Zipcar member with all of the benefits! I reserved a car for 08-09-17. My wife and I, along with another couple arrived a day early to the pick up spot, just to make sure we had no problems the next day when we would be exploring the island of Oahu! When we arrive onsite, to our horror the car that was reserved, had been in a wreck, and very dirty! The front passenger bumper was damage and part of it was in the back seat! It was a horrible site! I immediately called Zipcar, after I explain the issue to Zipcar's helpless support team, he said, "sir you can take the car as is or I can refund your rental fee." I said, "take the car as is, I am not sure if it is safe to drive!" "Well, I am sorry, but these are the only two options we have," he replied. I asked to speak to a Manager. When a manager finally picked up the transferred call, I explain the situation to her. "We are on our anniversary and all our plans that where made can not be change, because of reservations and other details. I am standing here looking at the car I am suppose to pickup tomorrow and it has been wrecked, is there anything you can do", I said? She replied, "I am sorry sir, but we do not have anymore cars available, but you are welcome to take the car as is or I can return your rental fee." I thought I was reliving ground hog day! I said, "I am not sure if this car is safe to drive, half of the bumper is in the back seat and the other half is hanging off the car!" "Will you please cancel my membership and refund my money." She said, yes sir I can do that, and I am sorry."
I had one more question for her, "Will you please

Left stranded

from Florida

Comments about Zipcar:

We live in FL and my 19 yo daughter needed to travel to CT - since she is not 21 Zipcar was the only option. Reserved car a month in advance - my daughter got there and guess what ... NO CAR! All zipcar said was ... we are sorry. SORRY? My child is there without a way to get anywhere!!!! Unacceptable - they said there were no other cars that they could get for her. She was alone stranded in a different state without means of transportation! Just awful - parents nightmare! They kept saying... sorry but there is nothing we can do. Then I called every car rental company and not s single one would rent to a 19 yo. DONT USE THIS COMPANY !!! They could care less of the situation they left my daughter in. Then to top it off... they refused to refund the application fee... the only reason she signed up was for this trip! JUST AWFUL!!!

Do NOT give them your money!

from Alexandria, Va

Comments about Zipcar:

Actually zero stars! This is the worst scam company I have ever had the misfortune of attempting to patronize. They could care less about customer service, run off with your money, and the ONE and ONLY person in the company who can issue a refund does not have a direct line that is known to even the managers of the customer service department! All the red flags of a poorly run sham company. I joined Zip Car to use when I have to visit a job site that is unrealistic with public transportation or Uber. I paid my dues, patiently waited for my card to arrive in the mail, watched all of the online videos preparing me for the experience and made my first reservation. I caught a ride to the car site with plenty of time to acclimate and get to work early. Guess what? The car literally would NOT OPEN! Unbelievable. I called them on the spot and my reservation was in place. They said there was nothing they could do except refund the reservation and that I would have to go into the city to locate another working zipcar. That meant a 30+ minute ride into the city in an Uber and then an hour+ drive to the job site from wherever there was a working zipcar. I've never heard such absurdity suggested in my life. I ended up just buying a new car so as to never have to deal with this again and risk loosing my job because of a scam "car share" company. I've spoken to 4 "customer service" reps in the last month asking for a full refund and cancellation of my membership. They all say they'll pass it on but one month in my card is being charged the upgraded insurance fee once again and no one has taken any responsibility or been helpful in any way. They all just mention this mysterious person who may be able to issue refunds but who doesn't have a direct line. So I'll just have to make myself available to answer whenever they call in the next 1-2 business days. They are a complete scam!

Terrible customer service

from New York City

Comments about Zipcar:

I eliminated the 'damage waiver' but it kept on showing up in my monthly bill. I called customer service and the rep said he would do it, when I requested an email confirmation of the change, he told me Zipcar doesn't send confirmation emails because 'This is a self-service company' and I should just check it myself. When I told him the reason I was calling to begin with was because IT continued to appear on my bill and I wanted to make sure it was done, he refused. If Zipcar fancies itself digital native and a self-service company, then it needs to start acting like one. They lost a customer today, I closed my account and taking my business elsewhere. Zipcar is expensive but if you want my money, at least work for it; otherwise, it is not worth it.

Absolutely horrible customer service

from Massachusetts

Comments about Zipcar:

I cancelled my membership with Zipcar on March 2016 now and March 2017 I realized they have been charging me a $9 fee every month since last year I called them on the 20th to find out why they have been charging me they told me that their person never cancelled out my account and then I had a balance of $97 I've been questioned how I had a balance of $97 if I cancelled my account and they were charging $9 a month from my account I was told that nobody could help me with my refund because my case had to be sent to member services and that member services would be getting in contact with me within 48 hours a week later still no contact but I want on my credit card statement and they charged me $97 so I called them back of course they said the same thing nobody here can help you your case needs to be sent to member services they'll be in touch within 48 hours. So here I am 48 hours later still no email still no call I called my credit card company since March of 2016 they have charged me $238 for services that I cancelled one year ago!!!! When I realized they charged me the 97$ on the 20 I called to find out why and how this was possible again! "Oh your case needs to be sent to member service they will be intouch with you in 48 hrs......." Are you kidding me????? Can a course of one year you charged me $238 for services that I did not use due to the fact of I got my own car and cancelled their services but you can't find somebody to get in touch with to give me a refund no I'm a single mom of two children and I cannot afford to let a company take $238 out of my children's mouth

Horrible customer service

from Massachusetts

Comments about Zipcar:

So I was a member of Zipcar I cancelled my membership in March of 2016. I then noticed on march 19th 2017 they were still charging me $9 for a membership fee every month even after I cancelled my membership when I called for a refund they told me I had a bill of $97 which could be impossible if they are charging me $9 a month and I cancelled my membership a year ago but when I called them to fix the problem they told me I had to wait 48 hours for somebody that email me back needless to say nobody got in touch with me and then on the 21st they charged my credit card the $97 so now here I am with them charging me $238 over the past year and nobody calling me back or giving me an explanation on why I can't get my money back I am a single mother of two children and I did not authorize them to take my money. And they should have people that are available to fix these problems!!! Not "oh your case needs to be sent to member services and they will get back to within 48 hrs." And a week later still nothing...

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

VERY DECEIVING!!! WOULDN'T EVEN GIVE IT ANY STARS!!!

from CA

Comments about Zipcar:

I would like to inform everyone that this is service that should not be used or recommended to anyone! Very deceiving and gold-digging. You only have 180 miles MAX to drive in their cars. If you exceed, you are charged .45/mile!! Zipcar gave a false advertisement when promoting their 24-hour rental saying that its only $77/day or whatsoever it was (at this point I'm just done with Zipcar). EXCEEDING 180 MILE WAS NEVER MENTIONED AT ALL!!! NOT IN THE ADVERTISEMENT NOR THE RESERVATION ITSELF!!!! IT WAS WHEN I FINALLY WAS CHARGED FOR IT THAT I CALLED TO QUESTION IT. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE REFERRED ME TO THE FAQS AND THERE IT WAS. SAYING:

"Each reservation includes 180 miles per day (200 kilometers for Canada).* That means you can drive up to 180 miles during the course of your reservation and not get charged extra.

If you drive more than 180 miles, here's how it breaks down.

Reservations lasting 24 hours or shorter:

180 miles included(200 kilometers for Canada)
Reservations exceeding 24 hours:

180 miles included for each 24-hour period (200 kilometers for Canada)
20 miles (15 kilometers in Canada) included for each additional hour of your reservation until you reach 180 miles
$0.45 for each additional mile (up to $0.55 for premium vehicles and cargo vans)"

AGAIN THIS WAS NOT MENTIONED ANYWHERE AT ANYTIME AND ANY POINT OF MY RESERVATION NOR THE ADVERTISEMENT AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IF IT WAS BEING HONEST!!!! ZIPCAR IS VERY DECEIVING!!! IT DEFINITELY KNOWS HOW TO WORK AROUND YOU TO GOBBLE UP YOUR MONEY!!!!! VERY TWO-FACED!!! BE AWARE!! I REALLY DON'T RECOMMEND THIS FALSE SERVICE TO ANYONE!

Must cancel BEFORE renewal date

from Sunnyvale, CA

Comments about Zipcar:

Before signing up, users should know that ZIpcar will only cancel your membership on your renewal date. They will not allow you to cancel mid-year and give you a pro-rated refund of the membership fee. They are hoping that you will forget to call them before your renewal date so they can automatically charge your credit card the membership fee.