3.1
Zinsser 123 Primer

Zinsser 123 Primer

3.1

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Avid do-it-yourselfer (3)

A no-fail product if used correctly

Zinsser 123 Primer is a must for my home improvement projects, and so far I have had no trouble with it other than outside of the product's intended functions. I have used it on wood trim, cabinet doors and interior, and damaged drywall from wallpaper removal - all to no problem. The only exceptions are when the drywall itself has been soaked through due to leakage in the bathroom, thus thinning the drywall layers so that the primer has nothing dry/solid to adhere to. As for the complaints about peeling, as a rule of thumb I NEVER "believe" any claims of "no sanding necessary", because there's got to be a range of surface area available or varying degrees of gloss, that are working with or against the primer itself. The harder you make the Zinsser 123 Primer work, obviously it is going to have a greater chance of failing. There are too many different types of home improvement projects and surface challenges - so best bet is to sand/scuff even if lightly first. Next I will be trying it on some brick/fireplace, since the gallon can includes masonry in its application surface!

fantastic product as long as you work from a fresh can.

Not happy with Zinnser 1-2-2

About two weeks ago we painted the worst place in our house. It is where the garage goes to the kitchen and down to the basement. This makes the ceiling about 13 feet high. We had to use a scaffold to paint this. First, we washed the walls and ceiling as the instructions told us. We let it dry overnight and primed the walls and ceiling together.

The next day we painted this and over this day we put two coats of paint on the primer.

It's about two weeks later and I was trying to touch up a small spot and found the primer and paint wasn't sticking to the walls. It looks like we will have to take this mess down and start all over again.

Zinnser 1-2-3 says you can paint without sanding. It isn't true, I am not happy with this product at all. What a mess, now back to fixing this.

Problem with adhering to bare drywall mud

from Gretna, NE

Pros

Cons

• The 1-2-3 primer does not adhere well at all

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

The product didn't adhere to dry mud areas on bare drywall. It peeled right off. We could not tape over it.

Worst primer ever 1 star is too much

from fillmore utah

Pros

Cons

• Color Fades
        • Offers Little Protection
        • Uneven Coat

• Exterior Painting

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

I bought this primer used it on my house. Before I could paint the primer started peeling off in big chunks. I will not buy this again. This was a wast of my money and time.

great coverage

from Prince George, Virginia

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Coats Well
        • Low Odor

• Exterior Painting
          • Interior Painting
          • Redecorating
          • Remodels

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

I wiped all my walls and ceilings down with Dirtex, then applied the Bullseye 123 high coverage primer/sealer. I also
          add tint, this stuff makes the finished walls look like velvet, they're so smooth!!

I get the name... 1 -2-3 because it takes 3 coats (sometimes 4)

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

I used this product this past weekend to cover some green and gold walls. After 3 coats, and in a few places 4, my walls were ready to paint. If I had lived closer to the store I would have returned it, and gotten something else. I would spend a little more and save a lot of time.

• Overall Quality:

A no-fail product if used correctly

from Plano, TX

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

fantastic product as long as you work from a fresh can.

• Overall Quality:

Zinsser 123 primer is not suitable for drywall

from San Juan Capistrano, CA

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

I just used zinsser 123 primer on drywall and unfortunately it did not adhere. The product is rated for drywall and is supposed to adhere to any surface. I contacted several professional painters who indicated they too experienced problems with 123 and highlighted it does not seal drywall and peels. I ended up stripping off all the primer and re- primed with bin.

Not happy with Zinnser 1-2-2

from Jackson, MI

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

Zinsser is great for covering stains

from Swanton, OH

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

I have used Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer many, many times and have always been pleased with it's performance.  It can be used for both interior and exterior painting projects.

Bulls Eye primer saves me time on paint preparation, because I can apply it without having to sand first as long as the surface is nice and smooth.  It can also be tinted with the top coat paint to allow for one coat application.  The primer takes only about an hour to dry before you can begin painting.I have used this primer to treat water stained ceilings and it has always done great in covering the problem areas without the stain bleeding  through the paint.  .You can use this on just about any surface, including glossy paint, glass and tile.  It can also be used to treat iron surfaces to prevent rust.  If used in high humidity areas, such as the bathroom and laundry room it can help prevent mold and mildew.It is a primer I would highly recommend.

The only primer we use - Zinsser 123 Primer

from Metrowest, MA

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

In years past we've used other primers, but once we discovered Zinsser 123 Primer, we have never used anything else.  This primer does an excellent job at covering up stains and providing a great base for our regular paint on the various home improvement projects we've done over the years.

We've used Zinsser 123 in just about every room in our current house and in the process discovered that there is pretty much no surface that it doesn't prime well.  We've used it on walls, trim and even ceilings.  In all those cases, it's done a great job, especially on the trim, which in our house is that polyurathaned pine, which can be hard to get paint to stick to.

The Zinsser is pretty much ready to go out of the can, just shake it before opening and stir it up a bit.

You don't need to worry about too much prep with the Zinsser 123.  We clean the walls and fix any holes and such and then just go ahead and prime.  Generally we only need a single coat, though on a few stained areas, we've gone ahead and put two coats on to make sure that the stain doesn't bleed through.  In those cases, it's worked like a charm.  For the trim, they say you can paint it without sanding, but we just clean the trim and then just do a quick sanding to give it some extra hold.  The Zinsser has worked perfectly on all the trim that we've painted (the same can't be said for the other primer we started our house renovation with several years ago).

Clean up with the Zinsser is pretty easy.  Hot water will quickly get the primer off your skin and off your paint brush.

**My Take**

Zinsser 123 Primer is just a great all around painting primer.  It adheres to just about everything you can think of.  It does an admirable job of covering up stains and preventing mildew growth.  It is easy to use and easy to clean up.

When we have to primer, the only primer we get is Zinsser 123 Primer.

Would not use nothing but this primer, the best.

from Franklin, NC

Comments about Zinsser 123 Primer:

I have been a painter for over 15 years and used other primers, but that is before I knew about ***Zinsser 123.***  I have put this on dark brown paneling and I could not believe my eyes.  This stuff works, plus kills mold and covers up marks.  I will never use another primer other then ***Zinsser ***for any jobs for my home or yours.  I stand behind this primer! Great primer!!