Other Paints:

Zinser 123 Primer

Zinsser 123 Primer: Good but not for toughest stains

from Boca Raton, FL

Comments about Zinser 123 Primer:

Before I started using self-priming interior paints such as Behr's Premium Plus Ultra and its Valspar equivalent, Zinsser 123 Primer was my go-to product to prepare walls for a top coat. Just recently I had a contractor doing some repairs of damage caused by Tropical Storm Isaac. To bring the project in at the contract price he chose to use Gliddens America's Finest Interior Latex.

When he was finished I was left with almost a full gallon of paint left so I decided to use it to freshen up some badly scuffed walls.

But first I applied **Zinsser 123 Primer**, a good, moderately priced water-based, low VOC primer. For routine priming and moderate stain blockage it's hard to argue with this product. It adheres to most surfaces including metal and plastics and it has low odor.

When I use it with "non-premium" paints it generally allows me to get one coat coverage unless I'm trying to drastically change colors or trying to prime a difficult color (yellow).

If there's a particular shortcoming of Zinsser 123 Primer it's its inability to deal with water stains. No matter how many coats I use, Zinsser 123 Primer doesn't cut it when it comes to blocking and sealing water stains. For these I'd recommend a shellac-based primer/blocker such as **Zinsser BIN Primer/Stain Blocker**.

Quality
It's a Zinsser product. High quality is a given.

It's difficult to gauge the durability of a primer independent from the top coat, but we've never had any durability issues with Zinsser 123 Primer.

Coverage
In terms of square footage covered, I'd rate this a 4, but in terms of stain coverage and blockage its on par with other primers.

Ease of Appliation
One of its best characteristics is its ease of application (and low odor). It goes on about as well as any quality top-coat. That's a huge plus.

• Quality:
  • Coverage:
  • Ease of Appliation:

Zinser 123 Primer sealed out 40 years of nicotine!

from Colfax, CA

Comments about Zinser 123 Primer:

When asked to try Zinser 123 Primer, instead of Killz, I was game until I saw the yellow walls of this rental. I was pleasantly surprised when one coat of the 123 covered and sealed the walls. I'll be using it everytime from now on. Zinser 123 Primer is the best!