Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel

Pros

Cons

• Cough Suppression:

Ah-choo! No side effects. Fewer ah-choos. (Gesundheit!)

No straight and narrow path for me.  If prescriptions work, fine.  If a homeopathic medication does the trick, great.  I'm soooo easy.       In the case of a cold, homeopathic does it with** Zicam No-Drip Liquid Nasal Gel.**  I prefer the original formula.  Place the tip of the nozzle just inside your nose, slightly angled outward, and pump gel once into each nostril.  *No sniffing allowed!*  Instead, press lightly on the outside of each nostril for about five seconds.  Wait at least 30 seconds before blowing your nose.     The problem some of us have with homeopathic remedies is that they have to be used every few hours or so -- in this case, every *four* hours from the first sign of your cold.  Continue use *after *the symptoms subside.  Zicam suggests 48 hours.     It's not my imagination that symptoms are less severe and that my cold is shortened by a couple of days with this routine.  It's a fact that I avoid chest complications (I'm an asthmatic so this is really important).  It's also true that the sore throat which always shouts "cold!" at me actually disappears once I'm on the Zicam schedule.       Colds are not only uncomfortable, they're tiring.  I find that while pumping Zicam every four hours requires clockwatching, the end result is worth it.  I'm not totally knocked out by symptoms, and, for the most part, I'm able to continue my daily routine.     My students have taught me that sneezes and coughs belong either in the crook of my elbow or down the inside of my shirt.  Why wasn't I taught that as a kid?       I've also got a good stock of Lysol Spray *and* Lysol Sanitizing Wipes and am not ashamed to use them -- on the piano keyboard and bench, on the door knobs of the front door and bathroom, even on the arms of chairs where cold-drippy students have waited for lessons.      With all this foo-fa, last winter was a victorious one.  No colds!

Felt like I had snorted battery acid

My ever so helpful husband brought this over the counter medicine home to me when I was coming down with a cold . I wish with my whole heart I had suffered the full wrath of the cold, and never, ever heard of Zicam.

I used it as directed , one snort up each nostril. Within two or three minutes my nose started burning, deep in my sinus cavities. Not a tolerable burning, but burning as in feeling like I had snorted battery acid. I indeed wondered of the product had been tampered with. My husband , again, helpful! Snorted it and had no such effects. Lucky him.

It got worse and worse. I was crying within ten minutes.I tried rinsing my nostrils out, which did no good.The fires of a thousand hells would not be extinguished. I used our icepack until it got warm, then was reduced to lying on the couch flat of my back with various packs of frozen vegetables on my nose, still crying. I spent the night miserable, with frozen peas on my face.

I can only assume that some people are allergic to Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride, which is the active ingredient in Zicam. (it also has Aloe vera, to "soothe nasal passages", what a laugh) I WAS NOT soohed.

Awkward medication to apply but great once its in

from north augusta sc

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

This is the most awkward medication that I have ever tried to apply, but it works surprisingly well once it is properly used. I had to stick the applicator in my nose, press the lid to shoot the medication in my nose, and then "sniff" to get the medication in place! That was a weird way to apply medicine! However, the medication worked really well once I went through all of those steps. The medication is a gel that sticks to the inside of the nose, and I was surprised with how well that worked to relieve nasal congestion. This is not a medication that relieves cough symptoms, so I do not know why this is one of the factors for review. This medicine does not relieve aches or pains either. The medication costs a lot of money in my opinion, but I still think it is worth the cost because I could actually breathe better once I used it. The medicine starting working very fast, and I felt relief in thirty minutes. Highly recommend this if you have nasal congestion from allergies and if you can actually get the medicine in your nose.

Works really well

Works really well here

Relief of Aches & Pains
Does not relieve aches and pains

Does not relieve cough

Wasn't this Recalled?

from MI

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

I used to absolutely love Zicam and would suggest it to everyone. I used it anytime I would feel a cold coming on, and it always always worked.
But, a few years ago I believe there was a recall on Zicam, saying these products could permanently damage users' sense of smell. Am I the only person remembering this?

I definitely remember because I loved it so much and was devastated. I always had a stash of this in my medicine cabinet and in my desk drawer at work. As much as I loved Zicam, I wasn't willing to take the risk, so I stopped using it.

But, I do know it works. You would just snort a small amount of the congestion relief gel, and almost as if by magic you would feel more clear and less congested.

I have since turned to more natural products such as the neti pot, among other things, but I did really think that this product worked, but I would probably never go back to using it again just because it's not worth the risk, in my opinion.

• Cough Suppression:

One of the best nose sprays over the counter.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

Zicam Extreme Nasal Congestion Relief Gel is one of the best over the counter nasal sprays on the market. It does an amazing job at getting rid of my nasal congestion, as well as stopping that dreaded post nasal drip. After using Zicam I find it much easier to breathe throughout my nose, and I feel less clogged up and congested. It helps to clear up my nose almost completely allowing me to relax, and not having to worry about my nose running all over me while I'm sleeping. I also feel like I don't need to use this very often because it works all night long. If you use it too often it can really dry up and sting your nose terribly, so use it with caution.

I get horrible sinus infections and have terribly allergies. this cleared me up right away so I would definitely recommend it. It's a must have in your medicine cabinet. I will continue to purchase this when I need it.

Congestion Relief
It's amazing at getting rid of and completely clearing up nasal congestion. It works great for my allergies, colds, and even sinus infections.

Chest Congestion Relief
This product is more for nasal congestion then chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It helps get rid of the pain of sinus pressure and congestion. Once you spray this you can start to feel your nasal passages opening up, and making it easier to get rid of mucus. Then you will have no more sinus headaches.

Cough Suppression
I feel that it does help with cough suppression because it helps get rid of a lot of the mucus in my nasal passages so I'm not feeling that post nasal drip or heavy mucus. Thus resulting me in not having to cough as much. It doesn't help with cough suppression like a cough drop or throat spray does though.

Pretty good product overall

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

I'd give this product a 7/10 because it's good; however, it could be better. It's not perfect. It's pretty effective. If you have a lot of congestion though, it doesn't really completely get rid of it. It improves it, but it doesn't tKe it all away. Other than that, it's a very good product. I'd recommend it for minor congestion. As long as it's not to bad, this product should be able to get rid of it.

• Cough Suppression:

It helped relieve the annoying cold symptoms.

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

I caught a cold from my husband last week and I was really miserable. I couldn't take any Alka-Seltzer because of my high blood pressure so I took Dayquil hoping it would work. It didn't really do much to reliever the cold symptoms. My husband went to the pharmacy and asked a pharmacist what I can take that would be safe for my blood pressure but that would also work. So she told him that I should try Zicam. I was a little nervous to take it at first because I have never sprayed anything up my nostrils but it wasn't bad and the Zicam worked pretty quickly. So I was happy with the results.

Congestion Relief
It worked so good at relieving the congestion. It started to work about five minutes after I sprayed it in my nostrils. I sprayed it in right before I went to bed that way I can sleep good without having a hard time breathing through my nose. My nose cleared up all the way and I slept all night without a runny stuffy nose.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Whenever I get a cold, the sinus pressure gives me a headache and makes my teeth hurt. Since the Zicam cleared my nose up, there was no more pressure, so no more headache or toothaches.

Cough Suppression
So far I haven't gotten the cough so maybe it is because the Zicam took away most of the flem so none got backed up in my throat making me have to cough.

• Cough Suppression:

Zicam extreme congestion nasal gel

Profile Image

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

I am battling a horrible sinus infection right now and I am the kind of person that can not sleep unless I can breathe out of my nose. I got this since it is gel and I thought it would stay up in my nasal passages longer and relieve my congestion. Boy does this stuff work and it works quickly. It stings ever so slightly when you initially spray it in your nose but it goes away quickly. Since it is a gel you don't have to constantly breathe in sharply to get the product to work, it stays up there and does it's job.

Congestion Relief
Clears my nasal congestion in under a minute and lasts all night long. Love this stuff.

Chest Congestion Relief
This product is more for nasal congestion, it really does not help with chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It will not relieve a fever or body aches but it does seem to help some with my sinus pressure in my cheek area next to my nose.

Cough Suppression
Zicam extreme congestion nasal gel is mainly for nasal congestion. It will not help with coughing, sneezing, fevers, aches or pains.

So effective!

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

This is an amazing product! I have always had a rough time when I get a cold, the worst being congestion. Often time it goes into my sinuses and then it's real trouble. I discovered Zicam a few years ago and am an ardent follower. I usually buy a new spray every fall before cold season starts. It really is amazing at breaking up my congestion, even when it feels like I'll never be able to breathe through my nose again! With the aloe and the gel formula my nose also doesn't feel overly dry like it does sometimes after using a cold spray. I am able to use it before I go to bed, sleep comfortably and wake up in the morning still clear. In fact I used it last night!! After years of bouncing from one product to another I have used only Zicam for the past 5 years. I feel confident in recommending Zicam to my friends and family and even bought some for my mother when she had a cold. This really is a great product.

This Is the Only Cold Medicine I Use

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

This is honestly the best thing I've found OTC for cold and flu season. If you use this at the first sign of a cold, you will definitely thank yourself later. While others all around me were taking off work days last year during flu season, I kept going with very mild symptoms thanks to Zicam!

Congestion Relief
Overall still the BEST OTC medicine you can buy for stuffy nose, and congestion relief. The price is comparable to other OTC cold medicines but the money I spent on other cold medicines was wasted. I sincerely wish I had tried Zicam first.

Chest Congestion Relief
Zicam truly helped my chest congestion tremendously. I was able to keep going when everyone around me was calling off work. I can't stress enough; PLEASE use this at the first sign of a cold instead of waiting until the congestion is so bad that you feel miserable because it really does work!

Relief of Aches & Pains
Simply put, this stuff works! While it won't take away that tired feeling altogether you will definitely be able to function without the muscle aches, headache and stuffiness that can sometimes become debilitating with a really bad head or chest cold.

Cough Suppression
Zicam allows me to sleep through the night without that annoying hacking cough that would always keep me awake before. My sister told me about Zicam about 2 years ago and I will use nothing else for colds or flus since I tried it. I am serious when I say; "If Zicam ever failed to work for me, then it's time to see a Doctor".

Immediate congestion relief

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

I get terrible stuffy nose in the winter and this product is a keeper. I was honestly surprised at how fast the product took effect. It was really easy to use and worked fast. The best thing about it is that the bottle is small enough to fit into a purse or hand bag so you can take it anywhere you go for congestion relief all day.

Congestion Relief
Almost immediately after using this nasal spray it starts to clear my nasal passages. Normally you would spry a nasal spray straight into the nos e but with this product you actually spray it toward the inside of the nostril not straight back. This spray is actually more of a gel so you do not have to worry about it dripping out of your nose unless you use to much.

Chest Congestion Relief
This product is not intended or chest congestion only for nasal congestion. I would not recommend buying this product for chest congestion because you put it in your nose not orally or on your chest so it is not going to do a thing for any congestion other than your nose.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Not a pain relieving medication. There are no active ingredients that aide in pain relief. It does help relieve the pain you feel from the pressure build up in your nose.

Cough Suppression
Once again not for anything other than nasal congestion. You cannot buy a nasal spray and expect it to help with a cough.

Provides Relief For Congestion

from Carol Stream, IL

Comments about Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel:

I like Zicam products because they always help me with my cold or my congestion relief. This product is wonderful. It provides relief from my congestion all day and with the added aloe vera, it really helps to soothe my nose. It is fast acting and allows me to carry on with my day. It does not leave me feeling drowsy, which is really nice. I like to take something that does not leave me feeling like I need to take a nap. The gel does not drip down my throat, which I have had happen with other sprays. And I hate that feeling. Overall, Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief Nasal Gel is a really good product. Just make sure to read the instructions and follow them correctly. This is a product I would recommend to others who suffer with congestion.