3.1
Other Cat Litters:
Yesterday's News

3.1

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (3)

The best cat litter on the market

I have tried just about every cat litter out there and this is by far the best ever! I used to use the clumping litter but the cats tracked the tiny particles all of the house and they always smelled like the litter. They do not track this anywhere. They also no longer smell like litter. This does not have a smell to it but it absorbs all of the odors. It is made of recycled newspapers so it is environmentally friendly as well. I absolutely love it and would recommend it to any cat owner to try.

Stay Away!

When I first purchased this product, I had my first litter of neonatal kittens. It is highly recommended that around the kittens, you don't use a clumping litter. I figured this would be just as good as any other clay litter, and it seems to be good for the environment. I put it out for the mom cat, and she took to it right away. The only problem I really had was with the smell.. Mama couldn't properly bury her waste with this type of litter. The pellets are about half the size of those pencil erasers, and they didn't really stick to the poop. Also, the pellets didn't absorb the urine very well either. They kind of just sat around. It smelt like we didn't have any litter in the pan, like cat waste just sitting around in a plastic tub. The only pro was that there was NO DUST, something really impossible to find these days.I finally made the switch to a non-clumping clay after listening to my husband go on and on about how much it stunk. I suppose if you're trying to find a 'green' litter, it would be average, but I wouldn't recommend the stuff to anyone else.

Moisture Absorption
For the most part, most of the 'moisture' put onto the pellets sits at the bottom of the pan. It doesn't seem like there's much absorbency to the product.

The only reason the ease of cleaning scored 3/5 is because you never have to scoop. You just dump the entire pan and rinse.

Odor Control
Very poor odor control. Enough said.

It's okay. Like I said, dump every time you change the litter.

This litter is not for all cats.

from High Point NC

Pros

Cons

• Messy
    • Pet Doesn't Like It
    • Tracks

• Finicky Cats

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

I was instructed to buy this after my cat had surgery...supposedly because it was easier on the cat paws. It was sny thing but. It is the most unusual litter I have ever seen. It resembles large guinea pig pellets. Neither of my cats would use it....but my cat that had surgery held his urine and poop for an entire day because it hurt his paws too much to use it. I felt awful for him. I would not recommend this for cats with tender paws at all...but as my cats will not use it....I don't know that I would recommend it at all to any cat. Highly disappointed in this very expensive product.

Love this product

from Folsom CA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Low Tracking

Cons

• Must Scoop Everyday

• Single Cat

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

You have to clean the box EVERY day!! You must push clean pellets away from soaked area and scoop wet-expanded pellets out. A little extra effort and BAM ! NO ODOR !Not much tracking and if there is, easy to clean up due to the size.

Yesterdays News is exactly that

Pros

Cons

• Pet Doesn't Like It
      • Smells Bad

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

My cat absolutely refuses to touch this stuff, she will not use her box with this stuff in it. My parents gave it to me as they use it, the cat pee smell is MUCH stronger with this garbage than regular litter. I will never buy this and will recommend to anyone who will listen not use this stuff.

Didn't work as well as hoped

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

I am hoping to find a new litter that is protective of my cat’s health and also is a sound environmentally friendly product. Recently, based on articles I have been reading I am growing concerned about the safety of clay litter. I have tried wheat, corn, and pine but with mixed results. So, I decided to try the Yesterday’s News product. It has several positive aspects. For example, it is dust free which is a big advantage of clay. Likewise, there is little to no tracking. It is not the best at control odors but it is not the worst either. My cat does seem to like it, because she is willing to use her litter box when this litter is in it. It does have some downsides, though. It does not clump like clumping clay products. It doesn’t last as long as the scoopable products, it is more like about one week filled a little less than three inches. So, I am still going to be looking for a healthy environmentally sound product; but in the interim I may use this intermittently.

• Odor Control:

Great Odor control without added perfumes, etc.

from Christiansburg, VA

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

I have two cats and this works great for them. I knew that newspaper was supposed to absorb odor, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well this works. It does need to be scooped with a scoop that has wide spaces between the tines, but other than that, it's wonderful. I like that it is recycled, biodegradable, and controls odors without added perfumes, etc. Unfortunately, it is not available at my regular store, so I have to make a special trip to purchase it, but it is worth the extra time. It is reasonably priced. Perhaps a bit more than some of the basic clay litters, but it weighs less and is biodegradable which they are not.

Odor Control
        Odor control without added perfumes! My cats are not crazy about scented litter and this has no real scent. just smells like shredded paper. They hopped right in and used it without batting an eye. Introducing other new litters has been met with hesitation on their parts, so this was a nice change.

• Odor Control:

My Cat Hated It. She Wouldn't Step On It or Try to Use It.

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

I liked that it was made of old newspapers and would be good for the environment. My kitty gave it a look and a sniff. Put one paw in, and she was gone. She wouldn't get in it, no matter how we tried. I guess it just feels too flimsy in comparison to other kitty litter.

Moisture Absorption
        It appeared as though it could absorb moisture well, but I never really had a chance to test it. We had to go back to her old kitty litter. I was disappointed, because I hoped this would have less chemicals and be healthier for my cat.

I didn't ever have the chance to try to scoop this stuff. So I haven't anything much to tell you about that.

Odor Control
        It didn't seem like it would control odors much at all, but I really never had the chance to try it out.

It seems to be easy to use from a weight standpoint. It weighs less than the kitty litter I normally use, which would have been a great thing for me, as I am not supposed to lift things. But it wasn't easy to get her to use it, so it was donated to an animal shelter (no kill).

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

We bought this after our vet recommended it for post surgery. I was very skeptical to say the least that this litter would absorb odors. I had prepared myself to have a stinky laundry room for a week but was pleasantly surprised that it was not smelly! It's recycled newspaper so it does not clump like most litters so it was a little bit harder to scoop. I ended up just using less and dumping the whole litter pan every few days. I would buy again if my cat ever needed another surgery but after that week we went back to our usual litter.

Moisture Absorption
        It absorbed a lot better than I thought it would. It is newspaper pellets so does not really clump but the paper absorbed well.

It is not clumping litter so it was pretty hard to find the urine soaked pellets.

Odor Control
        Controlled odors way better than I thought it would. I was pleasantly surprised it didn't smell bad after my cat used it.

Pour it in the litter pan, easy as that.

• Odor Control:

This isn't a very good cat litter.

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

I wanted a change, and liked that this was made of recycled material. I was looking for something absorbent that worked as well as clumping cat litter. I wanted to try this as I always like to try new products after they come out. It was a mistake, after using it for about a day, I found it was too messy and I wasted a whole bag as it didn't control odor as it isn't absorbent. After considering what I paid for this, I think it's a little too expensive for recycled material that just doesn't work for cat litter.

Moisture Absorption
        Yesterdays News isn't very absorbent at all. I have three cat's and their cat box started smelling a few hours after changing to this cat litter.

This is nothing but a mess to clean up. I usually sift through the cat litter and usually only dump the whole container once a week. This is impossible to sift through, and it stuck to the sides of the cat box. I had to end up spraying out the whole mess and changing back to my original clumping litter by that next morning. I would not recommend this to use as a cat litter!

Odor Control
        I started smelling urine after a couple of hours of using this product. It didn't absorb the odor, nor will it help mask odor.

Not easy to use, as it's not easy to clean up. I care about the environment, but recycled material really doesn't make a good cat litter.

• Odor Control:

Eco friendly, but not for everyone.

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

I personally love this cat litter. If given a choice between this and clumping brands, I would choose this one. It is made from recycled newspaper, which has its benefits. First off, I hate the dust created by gravel based litters, especially because I have covered boxes. This can be safely used it a covered litterbox with no anxiety as to your pet inhaling the particles. Also, your cat doesn't track this litter everywhere like the gravel based litters. This is the kind of litter that must be completely tossed at least twice a week, which does make you feel like you are wasting a large amount of the product. Also, you can't sift this litter like most. You have to just scoop out the soiled parts-I find it easier just to replace a handfull every time I scoop out a soiled part. Having said that, if you don't stay on top of cleaning this litter daily, the urine will pile up and saturate the bottom of the litter pan, and lead to a big, smelly mess. My cats seem to love this litter, so I buy as a second choice to my prefered brand.

• Odor Control:

Better for the environment, but sort of a pain.

Comments about Yesterday's News Cat Litter:

I'm glad that Yesterday's News Cat Litter is available on the market, and have used it on a few occasions when I was not able to use granule clumping cat litter, but won't buy it unless I have to. I like the concept of using old newspapers, and the fact that it is environmentally friendly. Unfortunately, my cats prefer the clumping cat litter as do I. The problem with this litter is that it does not absorb and clump like granules, so the litter box gets dirtier faster, and smells bad. My cats have a harder time finding a dry, clean spot in the litter for them to do their business. Plus, it is yucky to clean. If you don't clean it right away, the poop gets stuck to the side of the litter box and on the scoop. I wish I was willing to put up with the hassle, but I'm not. Unfortunately, my cats act as though they feel the same way.

Not so good.

Yuck.

Odor Control
        Very little odor control.

A bit of a pain to clean since it sticks to the litter box.