3.8
White Castle
White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers

White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers

3.8

Only thing missing is the stainless steel countertop

This review comes with a caveat: if you weren't raised on the east coast, and never went to a White Castle fast food restaurant as a kid, you will probably HATE these. I've never met anyone who tried these first as an adult and loved them. On the other hand, those of us who were raised with the real White Castle will find nostalgic joy in White Castle frozen burgers. Fellow east coasters will LOVE having access to these.

When I was a kid, the White Castle restaurants in our area were completely made of stainless steel: steel counters, steel tables, steel benches. Unlike other fast food places, White Castle always seemed really, really clean (I guess because stainless teel is easy to wipe down and keep clean between customers.) White Castle was always a treat...we'd only get to go a few times a year but, oh, did we savor those times! Part of the joy was the fact that the burgers were not only square, but tiny. Dad would order several bags of burgers and a few orders of fries, and we'd all munch away. If you haven't had a WC burger, let me fill you in: the burger is more like an incredibly thin slice of compressed beef, topped with chopped onion and ketchup, and placed on a square, steamed bun. Yes, steamed. Sounds gross, but it's yummy. (variations include cheeseburgers and bacon cheeseburgers, but I'm sort of a purist, when it comes to WC)

Of course, there's no White Castle west of the MIssissippi (i think that's the cut-off point), so those of us stuck on the  west coast are deprived. That's where the frozen burgers come in. The folks who make these have managed to freeze and package a product that tastes exactly like the burgers you'd get at a WC restaurant. It's uncanny. Each box has six burgers - 2 to a packet. The instructions on the box tell you to take the plastic packet off and wrap the burgers in a paper towel before nuking them. I think it works a lot better to open the end of the plastic, but leave the burgers in and nuke them just like that, discarding the plastic when you're ready to eat.

Now, these should not be considered a meal. They're a snack. You know that feeling on a Sunday afternoon, when you know dinner is four hours off, but you feel peckish? White Castle frozen burgers to the rescue! Two burgers make a perfect 'tide you over" snack. And, no, this is not gourmet fare but, rather, yummy, nostaligic goodness. It's junk, but it's sooo very nice...like that awful chair with the ugly upholstery you love so much. You know that chair will never get your living room's photo in Architectural Digest, but it sure feels good on your butt when you sit in it.

As good as the take-out White Castles? Heck, if I know!

I did not grow up eating sliders from White Castle. I only even had sliders from a fast-food joint three or four times, and they were from Krystal's in Texas. I really loved those! Alas, no Krystal's or White Castle in Iowa...

I tried these frozen White Castle burgers because I wanted something for a little snack. I really like them, but I can tell they won't be for everyone. They don't really taste like hamburger to me. Does anyone remember Steak-Umms? Another strange tasting "meat" product. But the package says it's beef.

I like that the bun comes out all soft. Usually, bread that has been microwaved gets really hard on the edges, but these don't. They are about the same size as the sliders from Krystal's - about two bites worth. I wouldn't buy these if you are looking for a complete meal - you'll probably eat the whole box, and they are NOT nutritionally sound, if you know what I mean. 13g of fat for two of them with **25% of it saturated**!

I only pop one in my mouth when I am hungry, but not hungry enough for a meal, but I want more than a snack. I've had four in nine months. That's probably where you should stay with these artery-cloggers, so if you think you'll be tempted to eat the whole box, I would stay away. Some convenience stores sell these in a two-pack, maybe go there if you are lacking in self-control.

These are definitely a "love 'em" or "hate 'em" type product. Put me down for a "love 'em!"

Not comparable to the actual White Castle burgers.

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

I love White Castle Burgers, so when I saw these White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers in the grocery store, I snatched up a few boxes. If you have ever been to White Castle before, you know these burgers are actually mini burgers so they are smaller than you would expect, but they come in packs of two that are microwavable. I am frustrated though that these never cook properly in the microwave and taste rather undercooked in the center with the bread being crunchy and hard towards to edge of the bun. I have tried cooking these burgers for more and less time, but they never seem to cook properly for me. The burger tastes okay where it is cooked properly, but it in no way compares to the White Castle restaurant burgers.

Satisfies Hamburger Cravings

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

These little burgers satisfy my craving for burgers. These are tiny burgers without much meat, but eating two of these stops me from running out and getting a Big Mac. The meat is tiny but tasty. It contains tiny onions. If cooked correctly, the bun tastes fresh and good.

The quality of these burgers really depends upon how you cook them. The directions indicate to wrap with a paper towel. Instead, I microwave them for 30 seconds in the package. I then remove them from the package and cut each burger in half and I place each triangle on a corner of the plate.

White Castle burgers from local store are too good

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

My family loves White Castle. We do not have a White Castle in town so we don't have them often. I didnt actually see the white castle microwavable hamburgers in the store but it caught my daughters Eye in the frozen food section. I was skeptical because they are frozen but I thought I would try them out. To my surprise they were very good. We get a box every time we go to the store.

Great snack without leaving the house.

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

Where I'm from in New Jersey, you can find several White Castle's in a 15 mile radius. However, I don't always feel like venturing out to buy them! I pick these up at Shoprite and whenever I want a White Castle burger, I just heat them up in the microwave! I personally think these taste nearly identical to the ones at the stores. They are a great snack and heat up in under 2 minutes! I will always buy these.

This product is AMAZING!

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

They taste so good all you have to do is cook it then add some ketcup! Also if you have a short lunch break like in school or during work then this is a really good product to have. I have eaten white castle up north so living in the south there are none. So to have this option is amazing and really cool.

Great if you do not have access to the real thing

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers are a great substitute if you can not get to an actual White castle. However, they do not compare to the real thing. They look a lot sadder in person compared to how glorious they look on the box. I have found that a little bit of mustard on them helps them be more appealing to eat.

I would recommend this product to others, as long as they realize that they will not compare to the real thing.

Surprisingly similar

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

Because White Castle sliders tend to take on a steamed and prepped appearance, these microwaveable versions of the real sliders tend to come out in a similar fashion. That being said, like most microwave meals, the quality is not consistent and you may find them to be just a bit less appetizing.

Not very good

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

I bought these hoping they would taste somewhat as good as the ones at white castle, but they are definitely worse. The worst part is the onions. I hate onions and these are so embedded into the meat that it's almost impossible to pick around them. The price is way to high for these because they taste pretty bad. I would recommend just driving to white castle.

As good as the take-out White Castles? Heck, if I know!

from Ames, IA

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

Not the same as going to the "castle."

from Alsip, IL

Comments about White Castle Microwavable Hamburgers:

White  Castle Microwaveable Hamburgers just aren't the same as the real thing.  There is nothing like going to White Castle and carrying home a bag a their hamburgers while you are driving in  the car .  The smell of the hamburgers makes you want to pull over and eat right there.  Yes these microwaveable are convenient and if you can't get out to get the 'real' thing, they would have to do.  But I don't like the taste of the hamburger after being stuck in the freezer.  In my opinion, They do not compare to the real thing.