3.9
Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator

Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator

3.9

• Temperature Control:

Love my Whirlpool Refrigerator!

My husband got me the Whirlpool GX5FTXV Bottom Freezer Refrigerator after I had our son, and I am SO grateful to have it. It has made my life so much easier and I have so much more room then I used to with our old refrigerator. The freezer is so spacious and I can fit so many more things in there then I used to be able to. The only thing I would like to change if I could is have the water and ice cube maker, other then that I couldn't be happier. The crisp drawers and nice and big and the way the refrigerator is designed is so nice. I can fit a lot more big things in there then I could with my old one. WHenever I look and see it in my kitchen it makes me so happy. I am so grateful for this gift and would recommend it for anyone looking for more space, and for a wonderful refrigerator. I couldn't speak more highly about this machine. I have no complaints really, so glad we own this fridge. makes life so much easier.

Whirlpool Refrigerator is spacious and a good performer

Sept. 2013: JUNK!!! Dead after only six years! Worse, told by a repair person, a service tech, and a sales rep -- three different businesses -- that this is normal for these! They are fitted with junk compressors having a life expectancy of three to eight years! And the other parts are of such poor quality that it's not worth it to replace the compressor. And, all the big names use these foreign compressors. Whirlpool also makes Amana and Kitchen Aid, but other names, like Frigidaire and GE, also use these compressors. There's no escape! We can buy Subzero, an American refrigerator, but they're a different size, necessitating reconfiguring the kitchen! Who can do that?

Thankfully, we kept our 32 year old refrigerator (moved to basement), a Whirlpool, built in an era when fridges were quality. It's still going strong.

Service tech said that consumers ought to be screaming about this problem, but they are not. They seem to be content with spending a few grand to replace their barely used refrigerators. We need to complain to the manufacturers, loudly, when our not even 10 or 15 year old fridges die.

Original review: This refrigerator is black, huge, imposing, and I call it Darth Vadar. We had to remove and move cabinets in order to put this thing where its predecessor had stood, though I no longer recall its exact capacity.

I mostly like this unit very much. It's got a very large meat drawer, huge crisper drawers, nice glass shelves, very deep door compartments. There's room for everything we put into it, which is a lot, as we are a family of four, sometimes five, sometimes six or seven, depending on who's home.

The unit is well lit inside, so we don't end up with many science experiments.

The freezer poses certain minor problems. It has two baskets. The bottom one is connected to the door and slides out when the door is opened. The top slides separately. The bottom one is very deep, and I often lose things in it. If it gets too full, stuff snags on the top basket. Sometimes stuff falls behind the baskets, down into the abysmal space in the bottom of the unit. It's kind of a challenge to retrieve it. Ice likes to fall out of the tray and ends up in the abyss or on the floor.

If the French door is not opened in a certain sequence, the tab on the left door that seals the openning between the doors bangs into the right door. Thankfully, this has not yet resulted in chipped paint or dents.

Overall, I have no serious complaints. This unit is handsome and holds tons of stuff, which we need.

Compressor gave out after six years, and repair guy said not worth replacing because other parts are junk, and I'd need to replace them soon as well.

I would never buy this product or trust Whirlpool again.

from Wichita, Kansas

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• None

Cons

• Failed design causing water problem

• None

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

Design flaws are causing failure of defrost and resulting water problems. Water runs out of the freezer and onto floor causing a owner safety issue and damage to flooring.
I strongly recommend avoiding this product and doing business with the Whirlpool company.

• Primary use:
  • Personal

Faulty drain

from richmond va

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Holds Temperature Well

Cons

• Poor Layout

• 2nd Refrigerator

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

The tube drain was faulty according to the tech. he replaces several daily, I looked on line and many other customers had / have the same issue. The piece he pulled out was for sure faulty the new piece is made to work. The technician said others have had their wood floors ruined due to this part. Beware whirlpool will not honor their product I just got off the phone with them. Here is what they said sorry this happened to you but there is nothing we can do.They don't care if your floor gets ruined from this faulty part. They also don't care if they ever get your business again.....$167.55 for the simple repair. DO NOT BY WHIRPOOL

• Primary use:
  • Personal

Looks beautiful, seal ripped immed, control board broke 4 yrs in

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

The seal ripped after about 6 months. The control boards both had to be replaced at 4 yrs, expensive repair. Looks beautiful. The long drawer in the bottom of the fridge is great. Like the drawers in the doors are deep enough to hold a gallon of milk.

Noise Level
I don't even ever hear it running (other than the ice dropping into the bucket of course)

Interior Organization
Shelves can be moved to multiple positions. There's a divider in the long drawer at the bottom of the fridge that is adjustable. Freezer isn't quite so great, just two big drawer baskets on the bottom and a long drawer containing the ice maker.

Temperature Control
There are adjustments for humidity, fridge and freezer separately.

Easy to clean the fridge. Very difficult to clean the freezer, can't get to all of it.

Too many things gone wrong. THe finish on the outside has held up beautifully though.

The seal is a bad design. DIsappointed I had such an expensive repair 4 years in with both the control boards. The fact that it looks like stainless but doesn't show the fingerprints is a great feature (wish all my kitchen appliances were the same way)

Love MOST of the Fridge!

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

Love the fridge in almost all of the aspects available to it and myself! I have had this fridge for about 2 years now! Most everything has been wonderful about the fridge. The only downfall about it is the ice maker seems to work when it wants to rather than all of the time. The other downfall is the fact that for some reason that no one can figure out the freezer does not defrost correctly, every few days I notice water on my floor and then realize the bottom of the freezer is full of ice and I have to get the ice out of the bottom of the freezer. Works great after removal until the ice returns!

Super Quiet

Interior Organization
Love the layout! We only have 1 wasted shelf but to each his own!

Wonderful Control

Everything is removable and super easy to clean!

Has been wonderful

Love everything about the design! Everything is easy to find a place for and there is so much more room that it looks!!!

Awesome Refrigerator

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

Really great fridge! I am loving it. Just remodeled our kitchen and this fridge is like a dream. Extremely easy to organize and clean. Would definitely buy another one.

Noise Level
very quiet and runs smoothly

Interior Organization
Very easy to organize. Has many areas to store things and things don't get lost at the back like some other fridges do.

Temperature Control
Everything is always at the perfect temperature.

The design is really sleek and modern. Love the bottom freezer.

• Temperature Control:

An efficient refrigerator that doesn't take up much space.

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

I have had no problems thus far. The size is nice, and so is the design. Though, cleaning it is rather difficult because of the French door style.

Noise Level
Makes a noise if opened for too long. Quite bothersome when unloading groceries.

Really compliments my kitchen.

Designed With Today's Busy Family In Mind

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

After much debate my husband and I decided on a Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator. We totally made the right decision, we've been so happy with the design and interior organization of this refrigerator. The adjustable shelving is so convenient and easy to use. There's space in the doors for lots of different sizes of beverages, condiments and juice boxes. The deli tray area is great for everyday family use as well as when entertaining. The freezer drawer is designed to hold a lot more than you think at first glance and it holds practically twice as much as the old refrigerator we had prior to this one. Clean up is also easy with the Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator. I just wipe down with a spray cleaner inside and out once a week and ours still looks like new. The longer we use this refrigerator, the happier we are with it. We are very pleased with this purchase.

Whirlpool Refrigerator is spacious and a good performer

from Appleton, WI

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

The unit is well lit inside, so we don't end up with many science experiments.

Just what I wanted!

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

I had been coveting a new fridge for awhile, and when mine went out over a holiday weekend, I was able to score a great deal on this model. I love that the ice maker is NOT in the door. My parents have one with it in the door and the ice maker takes up so much valuable space on the interior of the fridge. I had to tinker with the shelves to figure out where to put everything so all my stuff would fit. But I love it, holds a lot of stuff, and I love that I have the space to place wider items, like trays of stuff that need to be chilled. I could never fit a cookie sheet in my old side by side, so I much prefer the french door style. No complaints!

Interior Organization
As with any fridge, you have to adjust to find what works best for you. Not crazy about the can dispenser, wish there was another door shelf option.

• Temperature Control:

Great fridge for the price!

from Kiel, WI

Comments about Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator:

Me and my family got this fridge a few years back, and so far it has served us very well. Our last fridge needed to be replaced after about 4 years, it was a terrible deal. This Whirlpool fridge is on it's third year and has no signs of slowing down. The two top doors make it very easy to manage food, and space is wonderful. I find the bottom freezer drawer a bit cumbersome, but the rest works flawlessly.

Noise Level
Almost no noise, only occasionally.

Interior Organization
Amazing space and style inside.

Temperature Control
Nothing out of the ordinary, simple.

Large, but not hard to clean. Doesn't need cleaning, if you do it right.

So far, everything looks amazing.

I love the look of this fridge.