4.1
Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer

Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer

4.1

• Cleaning Time:

The best washer I've ever used!

This washer was one that was a bit tricky to get used to.  We're a society that likes to see soap suds when our laundry is agitating, and this washer doesn't have a lot of suds.  That doesn't mean it's not cleaning properly, in fact, it requires less water and less detergent to do a great job.  I had a repairman here while the washer was under warranty who gave me a lot of information on how to get the longest use from this washer.  He recommended using 1/4 of the recommended detergent as well as cutting the liquid fabric softener by 1/2 with water.  He said that people use too much detergent which then causes the sensor inside to detect too many suds.  When this happens (as it happened to me, bringing the serviceman to my home!) the washer will not go through its cycle.  Using too much fabric softener or using it full strength, causes a build up inside the washer.  I have found that by following the recommendations of the repairman, my washer has worked extremely well for the past five years.

These types of washers have had issues with mold building up on the door gasket.  I take a solution of bleach and water and wipe it down once a week.  Otherwise, I wipe it with a dry towel after each load and I leave the door open a few inches to allow the inside to dry, preventing mildew smells and mold.

This washer has a lot of different washing cycles to choose from, along with different temperatures and rinse cycle choices as well.  I was mainly in cold water (except for my whites) and find that all my laundry comes out extremely clean no matter what temperature I use.

I would recommend this washer (and it's companion dryer) to anyone who is in the market for a new washer.  It saves on water, electricity, and detergent costs over the top loading varieties.  This not only saves your wallet, but helps to save our earth too.

washes well as long as you dont have alot of pet hair on your cl

i own a whirlpool front load washer and dryer and for the most part i enjoy it. i have found that i have to clean out the drain area alot and it is not convient to do so as you have to have tools and someone to lift the machine to do so.and when it gets clogged i have to unplug the machine to reset it so i can get to my clothes. it would be alot eaiser to have a front panel to get to the drain an easy to clean filter. as far as washing i love. it washes good and easy to load and unload. i probably wouldnt buy another one as i dont like cleaning the drain but if that problem was corrected i would try again with a new one.

This Whirlpool Washer Really Works

from Grand Rapids, MI

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
  • Clean Clothes Well
  • Quiet

• Bedding
    • Everyday Clothes
    • Towels

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

When our old washer broke down we decided to purchase this Whirlpool Duet Front Loading Wasing Machine. Overall we are very happy with our purchase.

One big pro for this washer is that it is really quiet. Another big pro is that it fits a lot of stuff. The biggest pro however is that it does a great job getting our clothes clean. This can be a tough job with two growing and messy boys, but this washer gets the job done.

So why not 5 stars? Well this washer has some design flaws. One is the inner lip in the machine where water, and baby socks, get stock. The other is that water pools in the detergent opening.

As long as you keep an eye on these items it is a great washer.

Rips Clothing

from Greenwood, SC

About Me Frequent User

Pros

Cons

• Leaky
      • Noisy
      • Shakes/Moves

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

I have owned this machine for just around 4 years. In the first year, I had to replace the rubber seal around the door. Since then, I have had constant leaking from under the unit and constant "balancing" problems. Now, the washer has started to rip holes in my clothing. When I contacted the company, they said they did not have record of this problem with other customers. After searching this problem online, I see that there are others that have indeed had this problem. My last GE washer lasted over 15 years. Surely, Whirlpool Duet will last longer than 4 years.

An average washer with a few extra bells and whistles.

from Millville, NJ

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

When I bought the Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer I was really excited to have it. Up until that point I had only purchased the cheapest washer available, and now I had finally purchased a better washer that would make my clothes and more importantly, my children's super clean. I really like the amount of customization options that were available for each load so I didn't need to run to the dry cleaners as frequently as before. For the most part, this washer worked without any issues for the first three months but then I started having issues. The door would get stuck and the washer would get knocked out of place easily so it would leak water everywhere. It was just becoming problematic. It unfortunately only made it about a year before we needed to replace it.

Cleaning Time
        The load only took about twenty minutes which was phenomenal.

The clothes came out really clean, when we didn't have issues with this washer.

It would get stuck a lot or just stop working, which was relatively annoying.

The washer only worked well for about three months before we started having a lot of problems.

Huge capacity, cleans great

from Elburn, IL

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

This Whirlpool Duet washer holds a lot of clothes. It has easy to use controls that let you customize your loads. It really cleans very well. I did not buy the pedestal, and I think it would be easier to unload, if it were up higher. It is very deep, and if you are short, you will have a tough time reaching all the way in to remove your clothes. I do like how the clothes come out quite dry- saving time and energy in the dryer.

Energy Efficiency
        I was able to get a rebate back from the state for purchasing this product.

Cleaning Time
        This washer seems to take quite a bit of time on some of the cycles.

Does an outstanding job of cleaning and "wringing out". However, it is a very noisy machine. You need to close the laundry room door when it is running, especially in the spin cycle.

Controls are easy to follow and let you customize exactly what you want in each load.

The controls are activated by touch, and if you lean agaiinst them, even a tiny bit, they go off.

Too early to tell, but the ratings are good, and it seems well built.

Avoid Whirlpool

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

The Whirlpool name was once associated with quality, those days are over!
        2 years old, nothing but problems. Presently, washer stopped mid-cycle locking our clothing in an impenetrable safe. Perfect if your laundering money, gutchies, not so much. No emergency door release; so get your grinder and torch ready! Contacted an appliance repair man with 25 years experience. To make a painfully long story short, 5 new parts, all compliments of trouble-codes belched out by this monstrosity. Eventually, he became so frustrated, he refunded our money and abruptly ran to the nearest pub!
        We do have an extended warranty, but can't claim for another month, since we purchased late. End of story, buy an LG, just like we did, after the fact.

Cleaning Time
        It takes forever to get through cycles.

It's very noisy and unstable.

The buttons are very simple.

Needs LCD screen, have to use Morris code for diagnostics.

Broke after 2 years. Not durable at all. The drum shakes and is loud. Words come off the panel if touched too much. Called whirlpool and after the we can't do anything speech I asked them if they no longer stand by their products, the lady literally said " after our one year warranty we don't stand by it, that's why you need to purchase extended warranty. " wow right?

• Cleaning Time:

Best washing machine we've owned

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

This is the washer we inherited more than a year ago when we moved into our townhouse, and it's the second front load washer we've owned. By reading other reviews, you know that front load washing machines aren't perfect, but this Whirlpool Duet is actually a pleasure to use. The controls offer just about every type of washing scenario you could imagine. And the clothes are not a tangled mess, like with some washers. The only reason I don't give it higher than an '8' is because of the issue that plagues all front-loaders: Mildew grows in the rubber gasket unless you are extremely careful to wipe the water completely out of the grooves of the rubber and the moisture from the inside of the door.

Energy Efficiency
        It has energy saver settings, which we appreciate. You are able to vary the cycle based on how dirty your clothes are and the size of the load.

Cleaning Time
        Seems to be faster than other washers we've owned.

Cleaning performance is excellent. We use very little detergent (maybe a thimble full) because our water is soft, but it cleans really well. Highly recommend on that basis. If it weren't for that pesky mildew problem, this machine's performance would be a '10' - My husband now runs bleach through the machine (empty) every now and then which seems to keep it in check, but I find it hard to believe that this issue hasn't been solved by now by the manufacturers???

The controls are easy to understand. Many settings to choose from.

We live in a tight space, so we stack the dryer on top of the washer. The Duet design makes that super easy.

We've never had any issue with maintenance or breakdowns. Very confident this is built to last.

Make Another Choice

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

Over, I am dissatisfied with this purchase and would not have made this purchase if I had known at the time of purchase what I learned within six months of that purchase.

Energy Efficiency
        I had to add a garment within the allotted time and when I opened the washer, I noticed that the water was quite warm when I had chosen the cold cycle. When I questioned company personnel, I was told that my cold water is too cold so the washer takes it upon itself to warm up my cold water to make it the "correct" cold. Say what?

I have to admit that the buttons and knobs are very easy to understand and operate. It did take awhile to figure out how to abort a washload, but now that I know how to do that, I have no complaints about how the controls function.

This is my major complaint. About six months after purchasing the washer, I noticed that the top front panel was discoloring. This did not happen on the matching dryer, so now I have this odd looking "pair" in my laundry room. I called the company and asked if this panel could be replaced but was told that that was the kind of defect I would have had to report immediately. Immediately, it did not happen immediately, but it should be expected that the color of a washer is not going to change within the first year of sitting in my laundry room.

I have only had this unit for approx. three years, so I do not know if it will last 28 years like my old top loader lasted.

pretty good

from La Puente, CA

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

I recently bought this washer, and it is pretty good. It does save energy, it washes pretty effectively, leaving clothes as well as bigger items such as blankets and comforters clean. It saves a lot of water compared to my old machine. It has multiple settings so it really gives you many choices in terms of the level of cleaning.

• Cleaning Time:

A good washer for over 4 years now.

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

This washer has been performing very well for us over the past four years. We occasionally have to pull out child size socks from under the drum because they can get sucked up into the water pump. It's really not difficult to clean, so if you notice the washer is not draining all of the water, that would be the problem. Also the electronic buttons can start to break around the plastic. But we had someone who was not careful with then using ours for over a year. Otherwise this washer has performed very well and is still going strong.

• Cleaning Time:

Do your research and price comparison before you buy.

Comments about Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer:

I've had two of these units and those waters were not cheap in price. After a year but no more than two years the same issue occurs something either goes wrong with the control boards or the unit will not drain (makes no difference how ofter the catch basin is cleaned in the bottom of the unit; something still goes wrong). These units cost way to much to perform inadequately.