View more microwave ovens

Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven

Pros

Cons

• Settings/Features:

My Whirlpool microwave was a good value and easy to install.

This Whirlpool MH2175XSQ-0 microwave was an easy choice for me because I have been impressed with the longevity of the Whirlpool brand since I have been purchasing appliances over the past 17 years.  Not only did I choose this microwave because it was made by a trustworthy brand, but because it had a WARM HOLD feature and the ability to turn the turntable on or off.  The WARM HOLD feature is great for keeping things warm and helping to raise yeast dough more quickly.  Being able to turn off the turntable was important because it gives me the flexibility of putting a 9 X 13 inch pan in the microwave.  Another reason I chose this Whirlpool model was because the fan vent at the top does not have slats that face into the room.  These tend to collect grease and then dust, making it very difficult to clean.  This Whirlpool model had a flat plastic piece with the vent facing up.  Installing the microwave ourselves was very easy.  It came with a bracket and easy to follow instructions, so we had it installed in no time at all.  It just required careful measuring to get the bracket on the wall correctly.

Good microwave in it's category

I bought this microwave about a year ago. This seemed like a good microwave in it's category. So far it works like it should. However the thing I'm disappointed with is that it does not have speed keys for 1, 2, 3 etc. Other microwaves have speed keys so that if you press number 2 it heats food for 2 minutes. This is my biggest pet peeve. Manual for this microwave was a flimsy 2 page thing with not much information. I guess this is intended for simple heating purposes only. I do not use the microwave for extensive cooking anyways so it doesn't bother me but the first impression when you open the box and finding a 2 page manual is not very good. Also, it doesn't seem to have special options for thawing food for certain weight or size. I am able to thaw it for certain minutes but it does not let me pick specialized foods such as frozen coconut etc. which can be annoying. All in all the microwave is great for day to day heating and thawing but don't expect any specialized features.

Very Nice

from Salisbury, MD

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

I've had this microwave for a couple of years now and enjoy how well it works. It was already in a house that I purchased, mounted above the stovetop, so that was handy. It didn't take long to figure out which buttons I'd be using most often. Probably my favorite feature is the "30 second" button which does a quick heating. If you push it three times, you get 90 seconds which is just right for cooking a bowl of oatmeal. The defrost feature works great as well. I have no complaints at all with it. It is fairly easy to clean. I just stick the rotating glass plate in the dishwasher and boil a little water with vinegar for about four minutes, then it easily wipes clean inside. I'd definitely recommend this microwave.

• Settings/Features:

Pricey, but good, lots of features.

from Denver, CO

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

This bad boy was pricey. That being said, it does have a lot of features. My favorite is that it can be a convection oven. I don't use it as much as I would like, but it's handy during Thanksgiving. The convection oven is REALLY LOUD though, and gets even louder in cool-down mode. That's a little annoying. Otherwise, the convection oven cooks really well and I am happy with its performance.
The microwave is wonderful and there are so many buttons and features that I barely get to use them all.

• Settings/Features:

Replacing after only 3 years of use.

from Apex, NC

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

When buying this appliance, we expected to get way more than 3 years of use out of it! We were so bummed when this microwave just suddenly stopped heating. Since the parts are so expensive, it is more cost effective to just buy a new one. I love the aesthetics of this microwave and was hoping for much longer use time.

Failed after only 3 years.

Whirpool Microwave

from Elkhart, IN

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

Did a lot of shopping for an over the range microwave. Wanted a quiet yet functional unit. Opened a lot of doors seraching. Chose this model because of the options available and still haven't used them all. Very quiet running. Has a sensor in it to help judge weight and time. Auto vent fan kicks on when oven is used alot. Very user friendly. Wasn't the cheapest but wanted something that would last a while! We feel we made a great choice.

Whirlpool Microwave works well

from Claremont, NC

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

Well, we purchased this Whirlpool over - the- range microwave almost three years ago, when we purchased several other appliances for our new kitchen. This was our first experience with an over-the-range microwave, and I was super excited to get this one. We went with the Whirlpool brand, as this is what the rest of our kitchen appliances are. It is a trustworthy brand that I rarely hear complaints about. And, as of the three years we have had it, we have zero complaints ourselves. It heats evenly, cooks wonderfully, is very easy to figure out how to use, and easy to clean. Popcorn has yet to burn, and the melted cheese comes right off the turn table. What more could you ask for? I also love the clean look, the stainless steel and black are sharp looking. The stainless does show prints easily, but wipes off easily also. It also was very well priced. I do wish the light were brighter and easier to get to to change the bulb, but, other than that, this is very well worth the money, I am sure you will not be dissapointed.

Buy this!

from Brecksville, OH

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

I have had this over the range microwave for a while and I love it. I was first drawn to the sleek design. We were upgrading our kitchen to stainless steel appliances and this fit the bill. The best part is that the stainless steel and the keypad are easy to clean. My last microwave did not have as many features, and I find that I do use the added features on this microwave. I love the fact that it has a removable shelf to microwave two items evenly if necessary. The turntable is easy to remove and clean also. I know this is basic on most microwaves now, but I love the fact that you can ad 30 seconds to the microwave time without stopping the cooking process if you see that a food needs added time. The power seems to be exactly what is stated since microwave recipes are cooked in the allowed time on the recipe. With my last recipe, the cooking times varied wildly and I could never depend on an exact cooking time. I love all the space in this microwave. If you are looking for a dependable product, buy this microwave!

Love this whirlpool microwave

from Nicholasville, KY

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

So I have to say that I do love this whirlpool microwave. Its very nice, is easy to clean, and cooks well. The size of the microwave is very nice too. Its quite large and will hold many items at one time and cooks them evenly. My favorite part is that my husband is no longer messing up my times. If a timer is running the microwave can be used without disrupting the timer. Once the item is done being microwaved, the microwave time disappears and the times starts counting down again. The only thing I don't like about this microwave is that the defrost settings are difficult to understand. other than that its a great microwave and is better than all the cheapy microwaves I've had in the past. I would recommend it!

Love the look of the Whirlpool over the range microwave

from Carver, MN

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

When we bought our house three years back, this whirlpool over the range microwave was preinstalled in the home. Before buying the house, i was always used to the normal microwaves. I really love the look and feel of this microwave. The stainless steel color adds more beauty to it. I like the Add 30 secs option and also the night light option and the fan option. the fan is little loud and i guess that is normal for all the brands. This microwave has different options that you can choose from like selecting reheat,Defrost, frozen foods, pizzas ,etc. this microwave is quite powerful than the one that i used to own. there is an option to turn off the turn table and the hidden vent makes it really easy to clean and maintain.

Whirlpool Over-the-Range Microwave Over is a Winner

from Londonderry, NH

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

The Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven is a great purchase in my opinion. To start with this microwave is attractive with a stainless steel looking finish. The size of the microwave is great it has room for extra large items. It also has a rotating disk that seems to be standard these days. The buttons are easy to see and very easy to use. The fact that it is meant for a range means that it includes a light and fan on the bottom which is ideal when cooking. The handle of this item is also really convenient (I hate those button door openers). All in all if you are looking for a machine it will fit perfectly over the range is built well and has a great price tag. I definitely recommend this item.

Works great and good looking.

from Cedar City, UT

Comments about Whirlpool 1000 Watt 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven:

We bought this microwave when we bought our house in 09 to save on counter space since the kitchen is on the smaller side. It was fairly easy to install and looks great in our kitchen. We bought the stainless steel model that looks good in our kitchen. It has quite a few helpful features such as melt or soften butter and the popcorn button also doesn't burn your popcorn. We have used this microwave a lot and it hasn't had any problems or had any issues. It heats quickly and evenly, without burning your food. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a fairly inexpensive, but good quality microwave. I don't think there is really anything I dislike about it, which is why I gave it all five stars.