2.1

2.1

Pros

Cons

Westelm.com

So happy I found this gem of a website! We moved into a bigger house and needed more stuff to fill it, searching the internet brought me to this website. I fell in love immediately, the furniture and home decor is high end without the high end price tag. They sell everything you could imagine for your home and have styles to suit everyone. I could not be happier with all the rugs, pillows, and decorations I bought. I even bought a few side tables and at first was unsure how shipping would be. My tables arrived not only quickly but in perfect condition! Not a scratch, dent, or ding on them.

Super easy to use, just select from the categories and shop away.

Product Selection
They offer everything for every room in your home. They have furniture, bedding, bath stuff, and tons of home decor.

Product Pricing
I find their pricing is very good for the quality of items you are getting.

Customer Service
I called to see how shipping would be on furniture and they were extremely helpful.

Shipping and Returns
Shipping is fast and items are packaged very well.

Worst experience with a store Period!!!

My wife and I ordered the Carroll Farm Table on August 29, 2011. My annoyance with this place literally started at the cash register as they wait until the transaction is just about over before they inform you that they are going to tack on another $125 in fees for “set up.” I told them to have it delivered to the store and I could just pick it up and assemble it myself or just deliver to my house and I could assemble it. Not an option- you MUST have their people deliver and set up (screw 4 legs on) for an extra 125 bucks.

So since my wife likes the look of this table we went ahead and ordered it, here is where the real fun begins. It is now February 4, 2012 and we still do not have this table. We were initially told it would take 2 months; after that period expired we began to call. We were told it was on back order and to call back in a week. Called back in a week and was told the table had shipped and we would be contacted when the table arrived at the local warehouse to schedule our home delivery. Well, 3 weeks went by and no call. We called back only to find the table was NEVER actually shipped. We are now about three months into this and they inform us that due to quality issues they are having with the table they aren’t sure if they are going to be continuing to carry this table and we needed to call back in a week to get an answer on that. Apparently they are having a problem with the table arriving damaged from whatever country they are getting these from.

So we call back in a week and are told that, yes, they are going to continue carrying the table and we are now at the top of the list and that our table should be shipped around mid January 2012 (keep in mind we ordered this in AUGUST of 2011). Sure enough we received an email our table had shipped and we would be contacted to schedule delivery, blah, blah, blah that whole song and dance all over again.

A miracle, a little over a week later- we were contacted to schedule our home delivery. So after waiting approximately 6 months for this table it finally arrived on February 1, 2012. After it was put together in our dinning room the gentleman came to my wife in the kitchen with the paperwork asking her to sign that the table was delivered and free of defects etc.. My wife asked “shouldn’t I at least look it over before I sign this” and was told “oh yea, sure.” Well no shocker here, it was scratched and had indentations in the wood as if it had been dragged on something and one of the legs didn’t appear to be straight also the design of the table had actually been changed since we ordered it. It now has a groove that goes around the entire table that is not found on the one we looked at and ordered at West Elm. In any event, my wife told them she was not accepting a damaged table and they took it back. We contacted West Elm and were told to call back in a week to get a new estimate as to when we can expect another.

I am sooooooo over dealing with these incompetent idiots at this place. Take my word for it- Steer clear of West Elm, we are going to look elsewhere at this point.

Never Buy From West Elm

from Chattanooga,TN

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

I have always loved West Elm but I ordered all my furniture from them. I was told by Matt in Atlanta that I would order the Hamilton 2-piece leather sectional on Thursday and to drive down Saturday and he would apply his discount because the sale would no longer be going on. Once I drove there the couch had been discontinued and he couldn't do anything after I had sold EVERYTHING in my house. I agreed to just the couch, kitchen table, chairs and a coffee table. They charged two additional couches to my credit card that I didn't order; when I noticed I had been ensured they were canceled. It was until I was on vacation trying to use my card had it been maxed out my West Elm because the couches in fact had NOT been canceled. It took weeks to get the money back because I didn't have an order number because I never ordered them. Then my couch and chairs (which were left on my porch for delivery and anyone could have taken) I called to ask for my other furniture they had no idea about. FINALLY, scheduled it and they never showed THREE times. They offered me a pathetic $200 gift card like I'd ever buy from them again. I'm currently sitting on hold two months later trying to find why once again my furniture did not show once again today. Worst customer service and business management I have ever seen.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Poorly Made Non-Refundable Furniture

from Chicago, IL

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

The couch I had specially ordered and is non-refundable is wobbly and I am embarrassed when company sits on it. Nobody at West Elm is trying to help my situation and I would like to warn others that their non-refundable furniture is poorly made and they do not stand by their commitment to quality. I have to hold for very long periods of time to discourage me from trying to get compensation or even being able to speak to someone in charge. Do not buy from here. Terrible customer service and rude and disrespectful employees on the phone.

Beware Rewards Cards fine print!

from Nahant, MA

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

I received a few rewards card totaling about $300 for placing a number of orders with West Elm, plus a bonus "birthday" reward. I did notice they have expiration dates, so I began to try and use them up. My first order was for a $68 rug, so I used a $50 rewards card, and put the rest on a $150 card. What I didn't do was read the fine print. Unlike every other rewards card I've ever received, because I put $18 on a $150 dollar card, the card was now used up. In other words, you can only use each card once, no matter how little you put on it - so I lost $132. In fairness, it does explain this in microscopic print on the back of the card - but how many people actually read through all of that? At the very least, the salesperson on the phone could have warned me when I placed the order and gave him the rewards cards numbers. Seems like a very shady business practice, and does not inspire me to do further business with West Elm.

Great looks, disappointed in quality

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

I purchased the Henry sleeper sofa after trying it out in store. I decided to go with the "quick ship" option because sitting on the floor wasn't really an option for me. It took less than two weeks (as I'm less than 50 miles from the warehouse this is faster than most people, but seems ridiculous because I could have picked it up faster). HOWEVER, when they delivered the couch, despite the guys making tons of attempts (after I had to call a manager to force them to attempt it because they guy wouldn't even remove it from the truck at first) the sofa was 1/2" too big to fit through the doorway. Which is odd, because I measured and according to the dimensions listed on the site and the tag in store, I had at least 4" of clearance. So I was forced to return for a non-sofabed option, the Paidge. I loved it at first, but within weeks the back cushions began to collapse. They squish the wrong way making it very uncomfortable. You can't lean back because the cushions bulge out at the bottom. And now, after only a year and a half, the center support beam broke. We discovered that it's because they only put TWO tiny nails from the back frame to the center support beam. TWO nails?!? For something that has no support underneath? Unbelievable that they couldn't even use screws. Very disappointed now that my couch is basically falling apart on me in less than 2 years.

West Elm Jardine Dining Set

from Miami, Florida

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

I purchased a set 2 years ago (expandable table, chairs, bench and cart). I live in South Florida so it's quite humid here in the summer. I've covered the table and chairs during the rainy season. However, I have major issues with fungus/mushrooms growing on the table and chairs. I also have areas that have wood rot. A friend of mine bought the same set less than six months ago, and her table top is already warped. I would stay clear from this dinning set!

Most incompetent company ever

from Portland, OR

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

So, I have had about 4 miserable years of doing business with West Elm. They get things right about 15-20% of the time.

My most recent experience involved me calling the local store to see if a desk was in stock. They checked after a long hold, and said "yes, come on down to get it." I drove downtown, found parking and waited in line, only to be told "oops, we don't have it all." So, I complained, ordered the desk online with the manager that was 'in stock', waited 23 days for the delivery of my 'in stock' desk to find out the hardware wasn't included. I called about this to be told that the hardware is back-ordered and that I wouldn't get it for another 24 days. They offered me 10% off the order, which to me illustrates how little they care about their customers and how unwilling they are to rectify their mistakes.

I will never do any future business with West Elm and will go out of my way to tell people how painful their experiences are.

I have never seen a company so disorganized, incapable and unconcerned about their customers experiences. I recommend avoiding them at all costs.

Buyer Beware - Fabric by the Yard

from Denver, CO

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

The fabric by the yard in the Herringbone Print, Platinum Item #6915748 is advertised as "up the bolt" (meaning that the stripes run as long as you need them because they go in the same direction as the bolt is rolled).The fabric arrived, after an extreme delay, "railroaded" (meaning that the stripes go horizontally across the fabric and are limited by the width of the bolt).

I am completely fed up, because every time I call customer service to see if I received a faulty batch or if it is a case of false advertising, I am given the run-around and told to wait. Wait for what? For your company not to do anything some more? The fabric is sold through a vendor to which they have no direct line of communication.

Are you kidding me?!?!?! You have no knowledge and cannot communicate with the people making the products you sell? You have to wait for three tries to contact the vendor before involving a supervisor? Not to mention the fact that every time, someone assures that they will follow up with me and then my case falls into a black whole of nothingness until the next time I call.

I have spent literally hours with various customer service reps. I love the fabric, but it was overpriced anyway, and certainly not worth this headache. The product is bad and the customer service is worse. Oh, and did I mention that I am on a deadline with the seamstress.

Never again, WE, never again.Life is too short to deal with bad companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Company is dishonest.

from Hopkinsville, KY

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

West Elm billed me for a backordered item. When I saw the charge on my credit card, I called the company to get the delivery date. When the item didn't arrive, I called back, and customer service couldn't find the shipment. She said she would reship it. I called 2 days later for a tracking number; however, the item still had not shipped. I cancelled the order, but customer service said they could not credit my card unless they could stop the shipment. I called 2 days after that, and the item still had not shipped. Customer service still said they could not credit my card. I would have to wait to receive the item and return it. After much discussion, customer service discovered they did not even have the item that was charged to my card and did not know when they would get it. However, she said my card still may not be credited for 2 more weeks! I called a local store to complain, and they said they had the same problem with the company's internet sales. I am appalled at their unethical and dishonest way of doing business!

Cute stuff, reasonable prices.

Profile Image

from Florida

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

I found West Elm and there website while looking for some decorations for My daughter's room. I didn't want to go in the cartoon or movie character themed design way so I started looking for alternatives. This is when I found West Elm, and I wasn't dissatisfied with the experience.

Not only did I find the perfect things to decorate her room with, but I found them for great prices. And I was able to find items that would grow with her, not just be appropriate for her age now, which is nice.

The website is designed beautifully. The website is easy to use and checking out was pretty much a breeze. I messed up one thing on my initial order and had to contact the customer support team, and got a response pretty fast back. Which was reassuring.

My order shipped quickly and I have since placed another one. I am pleased with the whole experience and look forward to shopping with them again.

Horrible Customer Service!

Comments about West Elm | WestElm.com:

I purchased three pieces of furniture in two separate online orders and in both cases, was charged S&H AND Delivery fees. Collectively, I paid close to $400 in fees on top of my furniture cost. Conversely, I ordered a piece of furniture at the West Elm store a week later, and paid $0 in fees - the item was not in stock and was going to be delivered in the same way the items I ordered online but they waived the delivery fee and there was no S&H fee.

I later called the online store to request the removal of the fees (since I wasn't charged them in the store) and was told there was nothing they could do for me. When asked to speak to a manager, they said they would take my number and a manager would call me back. Its been close to a week since I had that conversation and no one has called me back yet. When I called the online store back to ask why a manager had yet to contact me, they said the managers are overwhelmed with calls (probably about bad customer service!!) and it can take them 3-5 days to return a phone call. In my opinion, this is absolutely unacceptable customer service.

In addition to these exorbitant fees, West Elm's return policy is laughable. They have "online only" pieces of furniture that are non-returnable. How am I supposed to know if a sofa is comfortable if I can't sit on it? And to not be able to return it is, again, unacceptable.

Lastly, they do not honour sale prices for items purchased within 30 days of a sale. Another big faux pas! I purchased a sofa and within two weeks it was 20% off. When I called to ask to have the discount applied to my purchase (which by the way I haven't even received yet because its a 8-10 week delivery), I was told that they decided back in November 2014 that they would no longer honour discounts on already purchased items, regardless of how recently they were purchased.

All West Elm's competitors (EQ3, CB2, Crate & Barrel, etc.) honour lowest prices within 30 days and none of them charge a shipping & handling fee in addition to a deliver fee. Their return policies are also a lot more forgiving.

Needless to say, I will never purchase another item from West Elm again. And I am telling anyone who is considering a purchasing furniture.....stay away!