Other Grills:
Charcoal Grills
Weber
Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill

Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill

Pros

• Portable (4)
  • Cooks efficiently (3)

• For self/couple (3)
  • Portable use (3)
  • Small gatherings (3)
    • Versatility:

Great road trip or tailgate grill - Weber Smokey Joe.

I got a Weber Smokey Joe tailgate grill many years ago. Our household goods were in storage with a military move. I wanted to grill out, so I picked up this small grill...Read complete review

I got a Weber Smokey Joe tailgate grill many years ago. Our household goods were in storage with a military move. I wanted to grill out, so I picked up this small grill by Weber.

The little Weber grill works just as well as the big one. It has the same kettle shape that means even cooking. The vents on top help with heat regulation. The bigger one has bottom vents. This one does not. Too messy I'd say.

Obviously the Weber Smokey Joe won't hold as much as the larger sized Weber grills, but it holds more than I would have thought. It works fine for family cook outs (and uses less charcoal), and it's a nice second grill for side dishes or hot dogs.

When I want to cook up small amounts, I generally grab this little grill. We use it about once per week. We also take it on trips like to concerts or ballgames.

If you do use the Smokey Joe for tailgating, be sure to take some water to make sure the coals are out before you put the grill back in your car. Also, a large black heavy duty trash bag is a good idea. You can just pack up and then clean up when you get home. Charcoal can be a bit messy - but worth it for the flavor.

I have really enjoyed this little travel grill. In fact, I liked it so much that I got one for my Mom to keep at her vacation house in Virginia.

cooks evenly though difficult to transport

For the longest time we would always bring a large BBQ grill to our tailgates.  This worked until they closed off the location which we were using and forced us to lug the supplies about 100 yards.  Instead of bringing the full size propane grill, we picked up a couple of these to fill in.  It seemed a little more iconic to us to use charcoal over propane.  First time we set it up we loaded it up with charcoal and let the coals get nice and hot.  We cooked a wide degree of foods from burgers to chicken to carne asada.  While the cooking area is not really big so if you are trying to do a lot, start early and cook in batches.  With two grills we were able to keep up cooking food for about 15 people.  Unfortunately you can't really control the heat that well so if you are trying to slow cook chicken on one side and cook burgers on the other side its difficult.  We found that removing the grill and shoveling coals to one side could accomplish this.  Once cooking is done, its kinda hard to dump out the coals.  The bottom legs are too stable and make it difficult to dump.  Also if you transport in the car, make sure you have a box in which it fits in.  Its not too stable on the drive home and we had an instance where it tipped over and spread charcoal dust all over the backseat.

Great Gift

from Fort Worth, Texas

About Me Occasional Griller

Pros

• Cooks Efficiently
  • Portable

Cons

• Small Grilling Surface

• Great Searing

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

I received this Smokey Joe Portable Grill as a Christmas gift from my Mother. I had recently began grilling due to my diet change and lifestyle changes. I was super excited to try out my grill. I first found that this grill was extremely easy to set up and light. I like the fact that it doesn't take to much charcoal to light and it burns nicely. Another asset of this portable grill is that its portable which calls for easy storage. My favorite food to grill in my portable grill is chicken wings. They always cone out perfect. It doesn't take them long to grill either. I also grill my veggies in my grill as well. The size of the grill is small but for me who most of the time is only grilling for one person it works out great. I don't have to worry about wasting food and although the grilling surface is small I'm still able to put my food on all at once and still have space. I love the fact that this grill lets off just enough smoke to give my food a nice smoked flavor. Veggies on the grill are the best because the grill is small enough to make sure they cook all the way through and have the same smoked flavor as the meat. Storing and cleaning this grill is easy and simple. The grill is small so it doesn't take much time our effort to clean. Once its clean I easily store it in my patio closet until I'm ready to use out again which is quite frequently. I wouldn't recommend this grill for large families or gatherings. It doesn't have the grill space for large amounts of food at a time. I recommend this portable grill to people just learning to grill. First time grillers will be able to utilize this grill the most. I haven't had any issues with this grill. I would recommend it to anyone. Its durable as well. Out doesn't bend ire break if knocked over. It is a reliable source when grilling. This grill was one of my my most valuable gifts because I've been able to use it frequently and I enjoy it when ever I want.

Weber's Smokey Joe Grill is a real performer.

from Salt Lake City,UT

Pros

• Adds Flavor To Meal
  • Portable

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

Weber's Smokey Joe Grill is a real performer. We are so pleased we purchased one of these. We cook a lot on the grill weather permitting. The Smokey Joe Grill fires up quick. It also cooks up burgers, hot-dogs and steaks evenly and in short order to perfection. I really mean it. We love it. The food is ready in no time. The Smokey Joe Grill is really an efficient unit and is quite innocuous in appearance. It is quite mobile and seems to fit anywhere for use or storage. It is actually quite amazing. We have noticed that we use less charcoal, lighter fluid, save time, get better tasting food and save time on cleanup. We own two depending on how much we are going to cook. The smaller units are perfect for two people or a third or even a forth if somebody happens to stop by. Super, you need a bit of time to get the stuff well heated, but then it doesn't stop, and it cooks really good…

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Really great portable grill

from Nesconset,ny

About Me Grilling Enthusiast

Pros

• Cooks Efficiently
      • Large Grilling Surface
      • Portable

• Great Searing
        • Large Gatherings

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

Before summer officially ended, we decided to go to a camping ground near us to have a little more time to hold onto summer. We wanted to get a grill before going that was small, but not too small, charcoal based because in my opinion I think when you're camping it's a little easier and gives the food a better taste, and we wanted something that would cook the food evenly, but not take forever. We went to a retailer and seen this grill and I think once I seen it didn't want to go and look at anymore. It was so lightweight so I asked the employee how much it weighed and he said nine pounds! I thought that was great. It was small but definitely enough room to cook for up to five people and was not clunky so it can easily fit into the truck. I really liked it and it was super inexpensive. Once we went camping and tried it out, it was super simple and super effective. We grilled chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, and a couple of steaks and everything came out perfect. We were able to sear the steaks beautifully and I loved the flavor the charcoal gave to the food. It tasted like real camping barbaque food and the kids like to watch it cook which is cool. It really is a great portable grill and I imagine my husband will be wanting to take it to a few football games to use because he really loved it too. Definitely give it a try if you're in the market for a portable grill. It is football season! Definitely recommend.

My husband loves it!

from Auburn CA

About Me Occasional Griller

Pros

• Adds Flavor To Meal
        • Cooks Efficiently
        • Portable

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

I got this for my husband for Father's Day. Couldn't wait to try it out! We've had several propane barbecues and he never really liked the uneven heat. It seemed like everytime we went to use it, it was out of propane. He loves how quickly the briquettes heat up the Weber and maintain a good temperature. It's the perfect size for 2 to 4 people.

Perfect for camping!

from Davie, FL

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

My family goes camping every summer, and we love to grill food. We bought this Weber portable grill for that purpose. We love it, and the food always comes out great. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a small and portable, yet reliable grill.

Everything I grill on this comes out perfect!

Versatility
          This grill is definitely versatile to an extent. I usually cook burgers or hot dogs on it, but I do not think you could cook much much more than that on it.

I would definitely say this grill is perfect for beginners and expert cooks alike. It was so simple to assemble, and I really did not have any issues actually using it at all.

This portable grill is actually really easy to clean as long as you clean it after each use.

This Weber portable grill is very durable. I have used it every summer when I go camping for about seven years now. I am shocked that it still works perfectly. It also still looks good as new.

I really love the design of this grill. It's small, but not too small. I also like how light it is.

• Versatility:

The perfect grill for camping!

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

It's an excellent grill, but the closed-bottom design leads to airflow issues which decrease available heat. We love Weber grills and have been using a Smokey Joe Silver and larger Weber grills for 30 years. We like to camp and always bring our Smokey Joe with us so I purchased the Smokey Joe Gold because of the locking top and carrying handle. However, this grill has vents on the side, not on the bottom, so the air flow does not circulate through the coals as Weber grills are usually designed. It took twice as long to cook our food in the Gold as opposed to the Silver. It is good for transporting but not as good as the Silver for cooking. Granted, it cooks exceptionally, but if you like a nice deliciously seared rare steak, you'll have to arrange your charcoal in a pattern that best takes advantage of the limited airflow of the side dampers. The performance of this grill could be improved 100% with the addition of the bottom vents like the Smokey Joe Silver.

• Versatility:

Very easy to use and extremely convenient

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

I love this grill. It is perfect for any day of the week. If you are cooking for you and your honey or you and the family, it works out great!

This product performs great! It will not burn your food and you can leave it unattended for a long time. As long as you make sure that your fire is down and you vent it, you can leave your food on for a while. Very impressive.

Versatility
          This product is very versatile. If you have a small dinner for a small group or a large dinner for a larger group it will work for you either way. You can still continue to cook your food while you entertain your guest because there is no large grill to tend to. But it will still handle large or small jobs.

It is very easy to use. The grill maintains heat very well and you don't have to worry about the flames firing up too high. Also, because of its size, you don't have to worry about really burning yourself as long as you use a pot holder or some type of protective hand wear, it should work out just fine.

Due to the size of the unit, it is very easy to clean. Just discard your used charcoal and take the grill plates and soak them in water and rinse clean. Very easy.

I have had my grill for about 4 years now and it is still going strong. So, I do believe for the price and the size, I have got my money's worth and it has not broken or fallen apart.

I like the design. It is perfect for a small apartment or a large house. Also because it is small, the storage of the unit is not a hassle at all. It takes up very little space and when you are ready to use it, you can easily put it away. Therefore, storage and ease of retrieving the unit is a breeze. I credit this to the size and design.

Great Little Big Grill!!

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

Weber grills are essential to have because they have been around for a long time and they have grills that suit every need, every occasions and every situation. This grill goes with us each time we hit the road to the cabin. We mainly use it for corn on the cob and grilling vegetables. It works great and does not take up a lot of space in the process.

It is great for grilling anything basically. It stands up the same as if it were a bigger grill.

Versatility
          I like the fact that it is a smaller grill and I can take it anywhere I choose, whenever I choose. It does not take up a lot of space in the process.

Very easy to use, same as the bigger grills they have

This one is probably a lot simpler to clean as it is not a heavy to move around like the bigger grills.

It has held up for my family for a number of years now. it has held up being loaned out to others to use.

I like the design of this unit, simple, no fuss about it.

Fantastic Little Grille

from Boston, MA

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

I love this grille. It is perfect for REAL grilled food. I have a small apartment so any time I grilled I would have to use a George Foreman which was great but I missed the smokey taste you get when you really grille some meat. When I found this I was psyched. It is easy to use, easy to clean, fits pretty much anywhere, light and portable. Just a few suggestions. Don't put too much charcoal in or it will get REALLY smokey and the smoke taste will get in the food but it will be overpowering. Sometimes I use different kinds of wood in with the charcoal to give different flavors. Also - I feel that this grille cooks a little faster than some of the bigger grilles as it has the grille rack closer to the hot charcoal and flames because of its size. I highly recommend this to anyone though. It works great!

For such a small grille it works GREAT. Getting used to cooking with charcoal if you are used to gas or propane can be a bit of a learning curve but this will cook my food just as fast as its bigger cousins.

Versatility
          This is the only issue - since it is a small charcoal grille it isn't really versatile. If YOU are creative you can do some cool stuff with it. You also can't cook a huge BBQ with this little guy but for one or two people who just want a grilled steak or some burgers and dogs this is perfect.

This is incredibly easy to use. I was always terrified of blowing myself up while I grilled because of the tanks that so many of them run off. This is charcoal so I don't worry about changing out the tanks, hooking them up the right way and trying not to blow myself up. You just change out the charcoal once in a while and go.

Since it is so small this is a breeze to clean. I actually take the grille rack out and throw it in the dishwasher after using it. You don't have to do this of course but it will clean up fine with a wire brush just like other grilles would use.

I admit I left this out to get snowed on which caused it to rust a bit otherwise it is super durable and has lasted three years without problem. I will most likely have to get another one next year just because of my failure to bring it in before the snow storm.

I love my little grille. It is super light and small so we can keep it on our back porch as I live in a small apartment on the third floor. A standard size grille wouldn't fit. This is also super easy to take camping or to a friends house since it is so small and lightweight. But works just like a big grille.

Amazing Grill

from Vincennes,IN

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Gold Portable Charcoal Grill:

I have limited space for storage and this grill is perfect for quick and easy storage. This grill is very affordable and worth the purchase. I have used my grill to cook steaks, hamburgers, and chicken patties and it is easy to use. I have taken this grill with me camping as well and its is easy to clean and fits under the sink in my camper for storage.