3.5

Vornado Portable DVH Digital Vortex Heater

3.5

Efficient Heater for Small Rooms But Kicks Up a Lot of Dust

Comments about Vornado Portable DVH Digital Vortex Heater:

I purchased this item for my apartment some time ago to cut back on heating bills and to improve the temperature of my drafty room in the winter. The heater functions moderately well at its main purpose and generates enough heat to eliminate the worst of the drafts, but it's really only good if you have a smallish room that can be sealed off with a door. Additionally, the heater makes some disturbing "spark" sounds if you move it around when it's running and the red glow of the heating coil tends to look a bit demonic at night. The really big problem, however, is that the combination of electric coil, heat, and fan are particularly good at attracting dust. No matter how many times I clean this fan off, it generates a huge amount of dust, which is a problem for someone like myself who suffers from allergies. I've even tried placing a light filter over the fan but it didn't help much and I was worried about the fire risk. Therefore, if you are sensitive to dust, I don't suggest this fan-- otherwise it's a pretty good, basic space heater.

• Safety:

I wish this had kept working.

from Albany, NY

Comments about Vornado Portable DVH Digital Vortex Heater:

In all fairness, I owned either this model or one of the other 2 Vornado models that look exactly the same (different item numbers). But I owned it a few years ago, so I no longer have the model number. The one I owned- look alike to this one- stopped working after about one season of usage (a winter). Another issue was that the auto-stop heat would constantly go on and off. It was meant to save energy and probably for safety, but it was so annoying to listen to that over the baby monitor (yes, we kept the heater in the baby's room, so we felt pretty good about it... no way for a kid to stick their fingers in). When it gets to a high enough temperature, it turns off to maintain that temperature in the room.

• Safety:

Worked for me

from Sanibel, FL

Comments about Vornado Portable DVH Digital Vortex Heater:

This is my "secret" heater for my sub-zero office, where heaters are a no-no. This heater is surprisingly lightweight and seems pefectly function - nothing too fancy with any bells and whistles. The plastic casing has the feel of a cheaper product. The heater works as advertised, although it is not super powerful. I work in a office where the management keeps the thermostat at what feels like 60?. I was hoping the heater would warm my desk area to something more comfortable. It definitely helps, but even when left on the Hi setting continuously, with the heater set to 73?, it never manages to get much past 68?. I live in Florida and the daytime temps right now average around 65? so it's not like I'm really challenging the heater. I had hoped for a more dramatic effect. That said, I'm still happy with the purchase and I would buy again, I just hope no one in my office finds my heater!

Works well

from Liverpool, NY

Comments about Vornado Portable DVH Digital Vortex Heater:

I've had this heater for a few years now, and talked my mom into getting one too.  It paid for itself in probably the first year.  I was able to turn my thermostat down a few degrees, which makes a really noticeable difference in the gas bill.  Since the heater has a fan, it does a good job of moving the heat around.  It does a decent job of heating a small to medium sized room, but just isn't powerful enough to heat a large room.  It's best used as a personal heater.  Great in the bathroom in the morning during the winter.  I've never had any problems with mine, but I don't use it as much now since I no longer pay for heat.  My mom however uses hers daily, all winter long, and recently dropped it from about a foot off the ground.  The fan started to make a weird noise, and then the unit stopped working all together.  For the price these units cost, I expect a bit better build quality, but overall I've been happy with mine.

It is great when the vornado works!

from Sedalia, MO

Comments about Vornado Portable DVH Digital Vortex Heater:

We were given two digital vornado heater fans as a gift a couple of years ago. At first they worked really great. We loved being able to set the temperature in our children's rooms at night for 70 degrees, while we kept the rest of the house cooler to help lower our utility bills. They also worked nice in basements which often get quite a bit cooler than the rest of the house. We started having problems with them a few months back. When you first turn the fan on it continually goes through three modes: Fan speed, what you set the temperature to, and what the actual temperature is. Well recently the digital display has been going crazy, jumping all around saying it is 82 degrees in the roo (when it is clearly not) then 65 then jumps back up high again. It started making me a little nervous using them at night. I don't know if it could be a fire hazard, but I am not willing to take the risk. We use them still during the day, to warm up the bathroom for bath time, but at night they just seem too unreliable. I would buy a non digital model.

Vornado DVH Digital Heater is great

from Laredo, TX

Comments about Vornado Portable DVH Digital Vortex Heater:

vornado dvh digital heater is great for temporary use, usually doesn't get to cold down here in texas, but when it does it's nice to know I can rely on this product, especially with it's automatic shut off feature