Other Space Heaters:

Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater

Pros

Cons

• Safety:

An Expensive Electricity-Sucking Heater That Doesn't Do The Job!

Comments about Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater:

I'm really don't like heat all that much, and I'm in a location that doesn't really get that cold, but due to the horrible heating system in my house, I decided that a space heater would be necessary.

However, this space heater is very flawed. To start, I'm not sure of the exact amount, but it sucks up a lot of electricity compared to some of the newer more efficient ones. However, most heaters like this do that, so I can't complain that much. The other problem is that it really does not do the job! You can turn it up to the highest setting, but it really doesn't make it that hot. It basically just blows air...and the air is warm, but it does not heat up the room very well. I would recommend buying something else.

Not happy!

Pretty easy to use!

The item itself is durable, just not good!

Doesn't allow for good heating.

So far so good!

The Perfect Warmth

from Shawnee, OK

Comments about Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater:

We have two rooms in our house which seem to receive the brunt of winter weather. Unfortunately, one of these happens to be the room where our children sleep. After trying various ways to keep them warm through the winter, and one failed space heater that left me fearing an electrical fire, I broke down and bought two of these, one for each of our problem rooms.

I love it!

The first thing I loves, being that we keep this in our children's room, is that the grate on it has holes too small for tiny fingers to get in. And because the heat is produced inside the machine, before being blown through the room, there are no parts which are hot to the touch.

But then, of course, we love it because it works. And because of the design, as a whole-room heater, it doesn't just keep you warm if you're standing/sitting directly in front of it. It doesn't have to oscillate. It just produces a nice, soft warmth which permeates the room and almost makes me forget the room isn't naturally that warm.

The first couple of nights/naptimes the kids did complain a little about the heater kicking off and on, as the sudden sound of the fan was a little disruptive. They must have grown accustomed to it, though, as I have heard nothing from them since.

The other drawback was the price - it isn't the cheapest heater on the market, but for the safety of my children, I was willing to shell out a little extra.

The second heater, meanwhile, keeps my sister-in-law warm in her temporary room. Considering she had been "freezing" in there the first week she stayed with us, she has been very grateful for the additional warmth, as well.

Overall, I would recommend this heater to anyone. It is easy to use, safe and does the job.

The included instructions were easy to follow and we have had no problems in the two months we've owned them.

• Safety:

Vornado heater- a powerful and useful space heater

Comments about Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater:

This is our second year using our Vornado heater. We have propane gas and wanted to use less of it therefore saving money. This heater has helped. We use this heater to heat our living room area during the day and our bedroom at night. We have been very impressed.

The heater is small yet powerful. It circulates the air so that it warms the room rather than just the air around it. It is lightweight and easy to move from room to room.

You just plug it in and it's ready to do its job! You can control the temperature through a dial and place it on low or high.

We've used it two winters now. During the day we use it nearly every day/night. Everything continues to work as well as the first day.

I like the simple design. It's small and compact. No space heater really looks pretty, but we're more concerned with warmth and saving money, and it fits the bill for that.

Safety
When my husband first wanted to use a space heater, I was hesitant because I was thinking of the older models that get hot and can cause fires. We have two small children so safety was very important to us. It is quiet and stays cool to the touch. It also automatically shuts off if something blocks the air flow or it is knocked over.

Great for small areas

Comments about Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater:

We live in a split level house and the upstairs seems to be really warm in the winter but the downstairs is always a bit chilly. This is why we decided to buy the Vornado portable compact heater. Our basement has one bedroom and our family tv room. We didn't want a huge space heater so the Vornado was our answer. It's perfect. We just shut the doors to the upstairs and it heats our downstairs quickly and efficiently. Then if it's needed in the bedroom we just shut that door and turn it on to heat it up. It's definitely a better buy than a furnace duct work over hall! I would recommend the Vornado heater if you are looking for a small room heater but if you have a huge family room then you might want to go larger.

Good in small areas.

Just turn it on and go.

We have small kids so it's been dropped and played with. Still going strong.

My kids can't get their little fingers in it so that's a plus for me.

Safety
Like I said above that my kids can't get hurt by it so I just don't leave it on for a fire hazard.

Good when it works

from Lakeland, FL

Comments about Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater:

Ok so I bought this when we were living in NJ for my son's bedroom. B/c no matter how much we turned up the heat his room stayed so cold compare to the rest of the house. While my husband and I were sweating our butts off. I did a lot of shopping around to get a safe one for his room. I liked all of the Vornado heaters but this was one of the least expensive ones. Which was what I could afford at the time. So the good things are we had it for about a year did a great job of warming up his room shut off automatically which I loved and stayed cool to the touch. His little fingers couldn't even fit in there. But about a year later I noticed it was taking longer and longer for it to shut off. In the past we would turn it all the way up step out of the room for about 5 mins go back in and it was nice and warm so we would turn the knob until it shut off usally around the number 4 setting (there are 6). But over time we realized we had to keep it running for about 15 mins and turn it very slowly b.c it was shutting off automatically at 6 and the room wasn't even warm. It felt better with it on than without it but it didn;t get as warm as it should. So I still had my origanal recipt and it was just before a year so I was able to exchange it for a new one. Now its been another year didn;t keep my new recipt and it just started doing the same thing. I would suggest if you have the money go with a more expensive one same brand! B/c they really are good heaters they just start to go after awhile and if you do buy this one KEEP THE RECIPT so you can take it back every year :0)

could be warmer

from East Brunswick, NJ

Comments about Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater:

I've used my Vornado VH2 ceramic space heater for this winter in the Northeast United States and it has done an admirable job. As many here are aware, the winter of 2010/2011 has been one of the coldest and snowiest winters in recent memory. I live in an apartment where I spend the majority of my time in the bedroom, which doubles as my home office. The only time I leave is to go to the bathroom. No sense in heating up the entire apartment when 95% of the time, I'm in just one room so I decided to use this Vornado as my primary heater. My apartment in a corner unit so it gets more exposure to the exterior than others do. Room size is about 16x12. This heater will bring my room temp to around 66-67F at full blast on high (measured by a thermometer inside the room) when it is about 15C outside. Does not matter if I leave it on for hours. It seems as if that's as hot as it will get. The good thing about the unit is that it is not radiant, meaning it is heating the whole room and not just the surrounding area. The unit is relatively quiet, definitely not silent. I do not use the auto feature. I manually shut it off when I feel it is warm enough.

Pleasant heat, at a maintained level.

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater:

I've had this heater for a few weeks now. I bought it to try to minimize the gas heating bills in my 110 year old apartment, with 9.5 foot high ceilings and original drafty windows. I have a pseudo radiator heater that is hard for me to move. I keep it in my bedroom where it works well for night time comfort. I bought this to move from room to room with me during my waking hours. So far, I've been able to avoid turning on the furnace. I haven't received an electric bill yet, so I don't know how much it is costing me to use it, but I do like the way it operates. I think I will save money by keeping only the room I'm using at a comfortable level and letting the others go down to the mid-50s. I read many reviews of Vornado compact heaters and noticed that some people were unhappy with them, primarily because they didn't understand how they work.

The Vornado heaters are unlike the common types of heaters. They don't just radiate heat from a pseudo radiator, nor do they blow extremely high heat in a direct path from the heater. The air that is coming out of the heater is not extremely hot. If you situate the heater to blow directly on you, you may find it cool or even chilly. That is not how this heater should be used. Situate it near an outside wall, blowing diagonally across the room to be heated. Do not sit directly in the path of the air flow.

The air will circulate gently all over the room, heating the whole room. You may feel a slight sense of air circulation around you. After a time, maybe 15 minutes, you will sense that the room is warmer, without any area of the room being overheated. You will not get that annoying situation where one side of your body (facing the machine) is way too hot while the other side is still cold. You just get a nice even heat.

The fan does make noise, but it is quiet and smooth, like white noise. The adjustable temp dial makes it easy to adjust for your comfort. Set it on high, wait until the room is as warm as you like, then slowly turn it down until you find the spot just before it turns off. It will then maintain your desired temperature. The machine is very light and easy to move. If you will not be plugging it directly into the wall socket, I suggest getting a heavy duty extension cord, for safety's sake.

Another nice thing about this heater is that it doesn't present a burn risk. No part of the heater gets hot. My two dogs play on the floor quite near the machine and I never have to worry about them hurting themselves.

VORTEX OF HEAT AND EFFICIENCY

from Somerdale, NJ

Comments about Vornado Portable Compact VH2 Vortex Heater:

All I have to say is this is the best little heater around!! It works so well, I was amazed, even though previous reviews said it heated huge rooms, I was skeptical, especially when I saw the size of it. However, once I plugged that baby in, within 15 minutes, the room/s were toasty. It has to do with it's vortex method of pulling air in & circulating it into warm air, not blowing hot air, just recycling the air, so to speak, but don't quote me on that, read the reviews or the box, for that matter, for yourself! Anyway, it hardly uses any electricity, as our bill has not gone up much, and it's very efficient and gets the job done so quickly. I would recommend this to anyone in any temperature and or climate, since this little guy really works, and it's just amazing due to the size of it. This was a very smart purchase on our part and we are looking to buy another for other closed off rooms in the house. I give this a perfect 10.