3.4

3.4

Pros

Cons

Say Good Bye to Expensive Long Distance Phone Service

When we moved from our home state of Pennsylvania to North Carolina I we make tons of long distances phone calls.  And with family members in England and Scotland we make lots of international calls.  Calling two and three times a week talking for a minimum of one hours per call those minutes added up quickly until we changed to **Vonage **as our primary phone service.

Our high speed cable internet delivers our calls quickly and clearly.  Our friends and family haven't noticed any change in sound quality or connection.  **Vonage **has many features that help me keep my phone calls organized.  I can log into our online account and see every call we've made or received., My favorite feature is our voice mail is also sent to our email address allowing us to play our voice messages via our computer's sound system!  It's a great feature to use when our kids call and we can listen to their messages together and save those precious calls from our granddaughter as a sound file.  I have dozens saved in my "Granddaughter" file on my laptop allowing me to keep them as long as I like!

**Vonage **lets us stay connected with our family and keep our long distance phone bill down.  Costing $24.99 including taxes and a couple of special features we chose to add our monthly bill totals $31.99. Not bad! Our past long distance bills used to range anywhere from $120 to $230 per month, not to mention those costly and annoying Pre-Paid Phone Cards where you need to enter endless codes and numbers just to get an all curcuits are busy signal!  ** Vonage **for us is the best deal in VoIP phone service.

**Noteworthy:**  If you have Directv you may experience problems purchasing a "Paid-Per-View" films with your remote control due to the fact it's a cable phone line and the phone is connected through your computer.

**P.s.** It's fun to call our family members and leaving the phone line open on speaker while they're hanging out at our favorite local British pub and listen to them singing very bad karaoke, priceless!

Total lack of customer service

I started using vonage because the service was priced well and had a lot of options that came along with it. After repeated call to there costumer service about echos and low call volume they never came up with a good solution for me . So i switched to a triple play package offered by my cable company and call to cancel my service. When canceling they gave me the run around for about an 30min. Then asked me if i was still wanted to cancel my service and that i would have to pay a service fee of $200 for  the early termination charges. I said no so they told me that i need to wait till august to cancel my service then. So i waited and when august came around i called back they did the same song and dance as last time and told me i had to wait till the 1 year anniversary date of my service. So i did and when i tried to cancel my service on the date they told me to call back. They billed me for the next month use and told me that i have to pay a 39.99 cancellation fee. So when it was all said and done i had to pay for 5 months of service that i did not use and a month of service that i my service would be disconnected for the first day. Then i had to also pay a termination fee of 39.99. I would not even give vonage a star but they require at least one!!!!!!!!!!

Extremely poor customer service, sound quality even poorer !

from West palm beach Fl.

Comments about Vonage:

Firstly, can't even hear the agent on my vonage land line so asked them to call my cell instead.The Vonage 's equipment sound quality is sooooo poor that I can't even hear them clearly on my cell phone, they blame the poor land line sound on my internet speed, ha! I wonder why We can use 2 iPads watching movies simultaneously from different sources and can't talk clearly on this voip line??Secondly, they are dishonest too, promised me a partial credit and then told me that was a mistake of the agent...absolutely senseless , will just use my cell phones now. Save me my monthly charges too.

Vonage is only so so

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about Vonage:

I thought Vonage was only so so for quality and service. It was always hard to get someone in customer service to talk to. It always put you through the automated system to try to resolve your problem. Then if you were doing other things on the internet. The phone would cut up. When I wanted to switch to another phone service. It took me 3 months for them to try to get my number ported over to the new phone service. They kept saying account name is wrong. When in the end. It was in my name the whole time. Like I said. But they kept playing games with me.

• Calling Features:

We've had them for years and are still with them...

Comments about Vonage:

We look around periodically for a better deal and have yet to find one. We are on their 400 minutes plan, which is very reasonably priced, and they do have other plans for 800 or unlimited minutes.

Call Quality
Sometimes if you are doing downloading on the computer at the same time, the call quality can suffer.

Customer Service
I haven't really had to contact them, but it has been easy each time.

Compatibility
No compatibility issues in 10 years with them

You can even take your router with you and receive/make calls anywhere.

International Calls

Comments about Vonage:

A total rip off $60.00 for two months.Vonage customer service will make all kinds of false promises to sell their services.When the billing takes place we get to know Vonage are cheat.

Call Quality
$60.00 for two months is a rip off.

Customer Service
Customer service will never accept their fault.

Cheap International Calls

Comments about Vonage:

Its was a hassle several years ago when i try to call my native land. Most phone companies ripped my pocket. Finally from a daily deal website i got to know about vonage, they a little pricy but really you make a lot of money out.
The sound quality is extremely good and they have extensions for apple and android smart phones so that you even can make calls from your cell phone, which many other providers don't have as of now.
As usual, their customer care lacks the quality.

• Calling Features:

Vonage is a great way to save money!

from Clermont, FL

Comments about Vonage:

We love Vonage.  We signed up when the company first came online.  And boy do we save money.  You see we live in Florida for 6 months of the year and in Wisconsin for the rest of the time.  We have a broadband connection at both houses.  When we had traditional phone service, we paid $38 a month for a single line with no features or long distance at each home.  When we left one home we put the phone on vacation hold for $15 a month.  Then when we returned it cost us about about $30 to take the phone off vacation hold.  So the two traditional phones cost us $53 a month plus long distance, plus reconnect fees.

Now we have Vonage which uses a phone adaptor plugged into the Internet modem to make phone calls.  We take our adaptor with us back and forth and plug it into the Internet modem when we get there.  Vonage costs us just $25 a month for local and long distance calling plus taxes.

Then to accommodate the family and friends at both places we added a virtual phone number at $5 a month for Florida.  So for about $30 a month plus taxes, we get 2 phone numbers, call waiting, call forwarding, conference calling, unlimited local and long distance, etc., plus our friends and family can call us for free no matter which place we are at.  And as an added convenience, I have a standing call forwarding order to send calls to our cell phone if we are out.  So we never miss a call.

Another thing we did is to connect the adapter to the traditional wall outlet in the house so all the house phones are now live.  Just be sure the traditional house lines are no longer connected to the outside telephone wire in the box outside.

When we are in the travel mode and the Vonage phone adapter is not connected, Vonage sends the calls directly to our cell phones, so we never miss a call.

So our savings come up to about $275 per year, plus all the extras.  Now you can't beat that.

They ripped me off.

from 385551973

Comments about Vonage:

I tried Vonage and was disatisfied with the service because they didm't have local service.  They provided me with a toll free number for my home number but didn't tell me that it would cost extra.  They then told me they were extending my free trial periud but failed to inform me that I would be locked in as a customer for a two year period.  I tried to cancel the service at the end of the second month but they told me I had to wait a year.  At the end of the year I again tried to cancel but the jerk I talked to said I had to wait another year.  When I told him I was told I could cancel after one year he said fine.  He canceled my service agreement and they billed me over $100 which they took out of my checking account.  This was in addition to the monthly fee they had been taking out for nearly a year for something I hadn't been using.  I will never do busimess with them again and I warn everyone I can of their dishonest practices.

Not a reputable company

from Pahrump, NV

Comments about Vonage:

My review is on the company Vonage. It saddens me to have to even write this review. I believe people should be aware of what they are getting before it is too late. I ordered Vonage. I mean for $24.99 for unlimited local and long distance, why not? Well, ever since I had it, the lines were full of static. Vonage is a VoiP. It runs through your internet. It worked for one month, then I had no audio. I contacted the Vonage technical team to help me fix the problem. After buying a new phone, installing a new phone line and Vonage sending me a new box, I was left frustrated. When they couldn't figure out the problem, they said it must be my internet connection. I had cable. I asked if I could temporarily disconnect the service while I switch over to satellite. They told me if I canceled it would be a $30 disconnect fee and the price of the V-Portal (box). It came to around $200. Apparently you have to have the service for 1yr. to avoid the box charges, 2yrs. for the disconnect fee.  I was told they could not waive the disconnect fee. I was told it was not thier service since my phone worked for 1 month, even though it was full of static, therefore I was past the warranty and the problem is on my end. My friends have the same problem with the static. So before you invest into something, check out all the terms and conditions before you buy.

You get what you pay for with Vonage (or any) VOIP!

from Lewisville, TX

Comments about Vonage:

I had Vonage basic phone service for almost five years; recently downgraded to Vonage Lite. It's super cheap - and that's the only reason I opted for VOIP service in the first place. I don't use the home phone very often for phone calls so whether service is interrupted or not doesn't affect my phone usage very often. However - service interruptions do interfere with my internet usage ALOT & I do mean ALOT. Changing locations within the same city seemed to help quite a bit & there are some days when I don't have to unplug the router and plug it back in at all. The rest of the time I have to do it anywhere from one to five times a night. It is a royal pain in the neck when I am listing auctions on Ebay & just as aggravating when auctions are closing & I need to contact customers. It's rare that I can't get on the internet at all - but it has happened.

To anyone considering the move to VOIP - I would say consider carefully how intermittent service might affect you. If you sell online, you may need more dependable service than Vonage - or any VOIP provider - can provide.

On the plus side - super clear phone calls, free voice mail you can check and listen to from your computer, phone or mobile + other perks (that are cheap but not free).

Best phone service I have ever used

from Galena, OH

Comments about Vonage:

After years of rising phone bills and recieving bad customer service, billing mistakes, over charges I was done with land line phone service. I did some research and decided to try Vonage. The best deal for me was to call the tol free number. They gave me a free month and the VIOP router shipped free to my house. The operator was were helpful, answered all my questions. My equipment came very quickly and was really easy to set up. The trick that scares most people is how do all my phones work off of one plug on the back of the router. Easy, first I went to the outside of my house and disconnected the regular phone. I opened up the side of the box that is for the phone company, and it is a simple phone jack just like you see anythere in your house. Unplug that and you off the grid. Now if you plug a phone cord in to the router phone port and the other end in to any phone jack, every phone in you house that is plugged in will work. The best thing is when you login to your account you can do all kind of cool stuff. You can forward your calls to multiple numbers, check you call history, check your voice mail for any computer. This is the best money you will spend. And unlike magic jack no computer has to be on, just your modem and router.

Call Quality
I had 8 GB roadrunner service and the call quality was excellent.

Customer Service
I had to disconnect my service and had no problems.

Compatibility
Great, as long as you have a vonage voip router

Calling Features
More than the phone Company could ever dream about

Plug and play