Other Blenders:
VM0103
Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200
Rca_2013_overall

Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200

Pros

• Good power output (158)
  • Easy to clean (150)
  • Good pitcher (117)
  • Stable (114)
  • Precise control (113)

Cons

• Hard to clean (29)
  • Poor pitcher (17)
  • Complicated controls (14)
  • Unstable (11)
  • Not powerful (7)

• Drinks (169)
  • Crushing ice (117)
  • Cooking (107)
  • Small kitchen (80)
  • Large kitchen (69)
    • Blending Power:
    • Versatility:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (115), Avid cook (40), Gourmet chef (31)
    • I received a sample (101), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (39)

The Vita Mix is a work horse of a blender - our best yet!

About two years ago I started making a fruit smoothie every morning.  Frozen strawberries, a banana, orange juice, yogurt, and flax seed (and more recently blue berries).  Unfortunately I found that our standard Kitchen Aid blender was not up to the task.  It simply could not handle the frozen strawberries.  I would fight with it by starting and stopping and tilting the blender but I eventually became frustrated. So I did a bit of research and found the Breville Blender which even had a special smoothie setting.  I was happy with this blender for several months but it seemed to lose its initial effectiveness over time.  The seals started leaking, the blades seemed to get duller and I got frustrated.  So, you can imagine my delight when my brother in law offered up his Vita Mix.  They just weren't using it and I was all too happy to take it home for a spin.Well, that was about eight weeks ago.  I am happy to report that I am a very happy user of the Vita Mix.  It is without a doubt more powerful and sturdy by a factor of a at least two than the Kitchen Aid or Breville blenders.  I still need to push the ingredients down once or twice, but once that adjustment is made, it blends through the smoothie ingredients like nobodies business.  The units is a bit louder and bulkier and not as sleek looking at the other two, but at the end of the day I will gladly take function over form.  So if you are a demanding consumer who pushes your blender to the edge, the Vita Mix is for you. Just know you are getting an "industrial strength" blender that is louder, uglier and bigger than the other less powerful models but you will thank yourself in the long run.

Blending Power
Better than any other blender I have owned.

Versatility
We make smoothies and soups

Unlike some other blenders, does not disassemble. The blade does not unscrew from the container. However, still very easy to clean.

Very easy to use. No electronics. Just levels and dials.

Sounds and looks like an airplane motor. Not pretty but gets the job done

Built like a tank

I expected much more

The only thing that I was able to successfully do with this blender was chop ice or raw vegetables. When I was making salsa, the ingredients did not blend together very well, there were still large chucks of jalapeno and tomato. Raw vegetables chopped up easily but not when liquid was added. I found a trick of chopping my vegetables first, then adding the liquid and that seemed to work much better. I love chucky ice in my drinks and just a few seconds in this blender seemed to work. I tried to read the instruction manual and look online about instructions for putting ice in this blender, but I couldn't find anything. I've been putting ice in daily for about six months and so far I haven't seen any damage to the product. Overall, this product is a decent blender but doesn't meet all my needs. The other issue I started to notice right away is the pitcher tends to leak when I have fluids in it because there is a small crack in it near the base. I've never dropped it so I'm not sure if the material is cheap or if it happened in the dishwasher. I called the company to look for a replacement and I was told to file a manufacturer claim. This item has proven to be more of a hassle and I'm not looking forward to shipping it back. However, I've been unable to find another blender on the market that can chop ice as durably as this one. I'm not much of a smoothie drinker, but my mother has this same product and raves about how her smoothies come out. I would not recommend this product over other blenders if using it for everyday use. The base of the product seems durable, but I'm concerned how long the pitcher will last me. It is quite a pricey blender for the quality and I've seen similar products on the market that I would recommend. The size of the item is not too bulky and would be good for average size kitchens, but not for small or recreational size kitchens. The adjustments for speeds are nice and easy to operate. Not worth the extra money in my opinion

Never knew I needed a blender like this

from Greensboro, NC

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
  • Powerful

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I always thought a blender was a blender. I was completely wrong. A Vitamix blender is a beast and a have to if you make smoothies. I had had Ninja that people recommend and they never lasted. I have used my Vitamix for over 2 years every single day and it is still runs like the day I bought it.

This product makes some amazing milkshakes & my Kids loveit

from Castlewood Virginia

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
    • Good Pitcher
    • Powerful
    • Precise Control
    • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

This product is great for protein drinks and milkshakes . My kids absolutely love it and so do i.. i highly recommend this product to anyone... easy to clean ..

Great wedding gift

from Waynesboro, tn

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
      • Good Pitcher
      • Powerful
      • Precise Control
      • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

We got this blender as a wedding gift, I love it, much better than the old ninja

A Must Have For Every Kitchen

from Defiance, Ohio

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Large Capacity

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I use my Vitamix several times a week. Whether I'm making a milkshake for the kids, a healthy smooothie for my husband or a vegetable sofrito base for my Puerto Rican rice I can count on my Vitamix to be just what I need to get the job done. I do wish it was easier to store away. I have older cabinets that just don't accommodate the pitcher height. The base is also just a little too heavy for easy movement. Overall my Vitamix is still my go to appliance in the kitchen.

Blissful Blending

from Denver, NC

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
            • Good Pitcher
            • Powerful
            • Precise Control
            • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

When I say blissful, I mean it! The way it smooth and effortlessly blends most anything is soluch a time saver and the clean up is little to none! I've never been more happy than I am with this. A must for any kitchen!!

Powerful product for use.

from Nairobi

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
              • Good Pitcher
              • Powerful
              • Precise Control
              • Stable

Cons

• Hard to Clean

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I use this product for smoothies which has helped me and my husband improve our health and i would highy recommend it to other consumers to use it.

Vitamin Blender

from Toccoa,Ga

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
              • Good Pitcher
              • Myself and my husband love making he as l thy c
              • Powerful
              • Precise Control
              • Stable

• Making healthy smoothies

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I love it due to my husbands health .it makes it so much easier to eat heslthy..we Love our Vitamix.t.y

I would buy again

from Guccigurl1

About Me Gourmet Chef

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

Im a huge fan of Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200 and i had it over a year its reliable and sturdy easy to keep clean and the most powerful blender i ever use.

Works great

from Danbury, ct

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
                    • Good Pitcher
                    • Powerful
                    • Precise Control
                    • Stable

Great for all uses.

Great Product

from Baltimore

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
                      • Good Pitcher
                      • Powerful
                      • Precise Control
                      • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I love this blender. I'm able to use it for many things. It's quick and has some awesome settings.