Other Blenders:
VM0103
Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200
Rca_2013_overall

Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200

Pros

• Good power output (132)
  • Easy to clean (125)
  • Good pitcher (98)
  • Precise control (94)
  • Stable (93)

Cons

• Hard to clean (26)
  • Poor pitcher (15)
  • Complicated controls (13)
  • Unstable (10)
  • Not powerful (7)

• Drinks (141)
  • Crushing ice (94)
  • Cooking (90)
  • Small kitchen (66)
  • Large kitchen (59)
    • Blending Power:
    • Versatility:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (94), Avid cook (32), Gourmet chef (30)
    • I received a sample (95), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (39)

The Vita Mix is a work horse of a blender - our best yet!

About two years ago I started making a fruit smoothie every morning.  Frozen strawberries, a banana, orange juice, yogurt, and flax seed (and more recently blue berries).  Unfortunately I found that our standard Kitchen Aid blender was not up to the task.  It simply could not handle the frozen strawberries.  I would fight with it by starting and stopping and tilting the blender but I eventually became frustrated. So I did a bit of research and found the Breville Blender which even had a special smoothie setting.  I was happy with this blender for several months but it seemed to lose its initial effectiveness over time.  The seals started leaking, the blades seemed to get duller and I got frustrated.  So, you can imagine my delight when my brother in law offered up his Vita Mix.  They just weren't using it and I was all too happy to take it home for a spin.Well, that was about eight weeks ago.  I am happy to report that I am a very happy user of the Vita Mix.  It is without a doubt more powerful and sturdy by a factor of a at least two than the Kitchen Aid or Breville blenders.  I still need to push the ingredients down once or twice, but once that adjustment is made, it blends through the smoothie ingredients like nobodies business.  The units is a bit louder and bulkier and not as sleek looking at the other two, but at the end of the day I will gladly take function over form.  So if you are a demanding consumer who pushes your blender to the edge, the Vita Mix is for you. Just know you are getting an "industrial strength" blender that is louder, uglier and bigger than the other less powerful models but you will thank yourself in the long run.

Blending Power
Better than any other blender I have owned.

Versatility
We make smoothies and soups

Unlike some other blenders, does not disassemble. The blade does not unscrew from the container. However, still very easy to clean.

Very easy to use. No electronics. Just levels and dials.

Sounds and looks like an airplane motor. Not pretty but gets the job done

Built like a tank

I expected much more

The only thing that I was able to successfully do with this blender was chop ice or raw vegetables. When I was making salsa, the ingredients did not blend together very well, there were still large chucks of jalapeno and tomato. Raw vegetables chopped up easily but not when liquid was added. I found a trick of chopping my vegetables first, then adding the liquid and that seemed to work much better. I love chucky ice in my drinks and just a few seconds in this blender seemed to work. I tried to read the instruction manual and look online about instructions for putting ice in this blender, but I couldn't find anything. I've been putting ice in daily for about six months and so far I haven't seen any damage to the product. Overall, this product is a decent blender but doesn't meet all my needs. The other issue I started to notice right away is the pitcher tends to leak when I have fluids in it because there is a small crack in it near the base. I've never dropped it so I'm not sure if the material is cheap or if it happened in the dishwasher. I called the company to look for a replacement and I was told to file a manufacturer claim. This item has proven to be more of a hassle and I'm not looking forward to shipping it back. However, I've been unable to find another blender on the market that can chop ice as durably as this one. I'm not much of a smoothie drinker, but my mother has this same product and raves about how her smoothies come out. I would not recommend this product over other blenders if using it for everyday use. The base of the product seems durable, but I'm concerned how long the pitcher will last me. It is quite a pricey blender for the quality and I've seen similar products on the market that I would recommend. The size of the item is not too bulky and would be good for average size kitchens, but not for small or recreational size kitchens. The adjustments for speeds are nice and easy to operate. Not worth the extra money in my opinion

Best blender that I've used for my fitness journey

from Pikeville,Ky

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
  • Good Pitcher
  • Powerful
  • Precise Control
  • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I started my fitness journey after turning 30 last year. I wasn't feeling very well and after going to the doctor I found out I was defecient in key vitamins that I needed to live a good and healthy life. Not only did I start taking vitamin supplements but I started paying extra attention to what foods had the vitamins that I needed. Now that I know I make several shakes and drinks using this blender as a tool to make the most and extract all of those nutrients I had been missing before. It's a joy to use, hassle free. I wash a majority of my dishes by hand and was dreading trying to clean this device because other blenders I have used have been a pain but cleaning it has been a breeze. I recommend it to people in my fitness group and everybody that I run into that asks about my journey thus far.

Definitely a keeper

from Pennsylvania

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
    • Good Pitcher
    • Powerful
    • Precise Control
    • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

Great product... Great for smoothies... N milkshakes....

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Amazeing

from V.a

About Me Gourmet Chef

Pros

• Easy To Clean
      • Good Pitcher
      • Powerful
      • Precise Control
      • Stable

• Cooking

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

OMG it's amazing I am in love

love it

from PA

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
        • Powerful
        • Precise Control

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I use this product to make smoothies, soups, milk shakes, dips, etc.
          Everything has its own settings and it works great.
          This is easy to wash and i wash it in dishwasher.
          User for past 4 years now .. and works like its new !

Blender

from Franklin, pa

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
          • Good Pitcher
          • Powerful
          • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I lo e this blender I use it for drink to make ice cream an many more things if I ever have to replace it I will be buying it again it is very great to use..

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Can't say enough good things

from Sacramento, CA

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
            • Fast
            • Good Pitcher
            • Powerful
            • Precise Control
            • Stable

Cons

• Loud
            • Too large for dish washer

• Curry
            • Ice cream
            • Smoothies
            • Soup

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I love this thing. We have had it for 5 years and use it several times a week. It blends fruits veggies and Anything else into a smooth liquid form. The controls are simple if you can flip a switch and turn a knob and it gives you a lot of control over how fast it runs. The only real downside is the noise. I am sometimes reluctant to use it in the morning for fear of waking my wife. If you want the best blender though, look no further. A better smoothie machine, probably doesn't exist.

Amazing blender

from San Antonio, TX

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
            • Good Pitcher
            • Powerful
            • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

This blender is amazing. I mostly use if for smoothies, and no matter what I put in, the smoothies turn out just as delicious and smooth as any I've gotten at a real smoothie place. My kids love the smoothies from this Vitamix and it's easy to get them to have lots of fruits and veggies when we make smoothies in the Vitamix.
              It's easy to clean.
              It came with a recipe book, and I need to try more of the recipes since they sound simple and delicious.
              The pitcher is big enough for just about any recipe.
              The machine is loud, but I have gotten used to it.

It's better than Ninja

from Fort Lauderdale Florida

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Good Pitcher
              • Powerful

Cons

• Hard to Clean

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I absolutely love this blender. I thought the Ninja blender well. This thing blends better you don't taste anything but smoothness

I would buy this product again

from Jlb123

About Me Gourmet Chef

• Cooking

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I used this product everyday such a hreat product

It's great, but very pricey

from Memphis, TN

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Powerful

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

Its a Vitamix, so yeah, it is pricey. But it works great for smoothies, pasta sauces, salad dressing, and even homemade baby food.