Other Blenders:
VM0103
Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200
Rca_2013_overall

Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200

Pros

• Good power output (142)
  • Easy to clean (135)
  • Good pitcher (106)
  • Stable (101)
  • Precise control (100)

Cons

• Hard to clean (27)
  • Poor pitcher (15)
  • Complicated controls (14)
  • Unstable (10)
  • Not powerful (7)

• Drinks (151)
  • Crushing ice (103)
  • Cooking (97)
  • Small kitchen (69)
  • Large kitchen (61)
    • Blending Power:
    • Versatility:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (102), Avid cook (35), Gourmet chef (30)
    • I received a sample (96), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (39)

The Vita Mix is a work horse of a blender - our best yet!

About two years ago I started making a fruit smoothie every morning.  Frozen strawberries, a banana, orange juice, yogurt, and flax seed (and more recently blue berries).  Unfortunately I found that our standard Kitchen Aid blender was not up to the task.  It simply could not handle the frozen strawberries.  I would fight with it by starting and stopping and tilting the blender but I eventually became frustrated. So I did a bit of research and found the Breville Blender which even had a special smoothie setting.  I was happy with this blender for several months but it seemed to lose its initial effectiveness over time.  The seals started leaking, the blades seemed to get duller and I got frustrated.  So, you can imagine my delight when my brother in law offered up his Vita Mix.  They just weren't using it and I was all too happy to take it home for a spin.Well, that was about eight weeks ago.  I am happy to report that I am a very happy user of the Vita Mix.  It is without a doubt more powerful and sturdy by a factor of a at least two than the Kitchen Aid or Breville blenders.  I still need to push the ingredients down once or twice, but once that adjustment is made, it blends through the smoothie ingredients like nobodies business.  The units is a bit louder and bulkier and not as sleek looking at the other two, but at the end of the day I will gladly take function over form.  So if you are a demanding consumer who pushes your blender to the edge, the Vita Mix is for you. Just know you are getting an "industrial strength" blender that is louder, uglier and bigger than the other less powerful models but you will thank yourself in the long run.

Blending Power
Better than any other blender I have owned.

Versatility
We make smoothies and soups

Unlike some other blenders, does not disassemble. The blade does not unscrew from the container. However, still very easy to clean.

Very easy to use. No electronics. Just levels and dials.

Sounds and looks like an airplane motor. Not pretty but gets the job done

Built like a tank

I expected much more

The only thing that I was able to successfully do with this blender was chop ice or raw vegetables. When I was making salsa, the ingredients did not blend together very well, there were still large chucks of jalapeno and tomato. Raw vegetables chopped up easily but not when liquid was added. I found a trick of chopping my vegetables first, then adding the liquid and that seemed to work much better. I love chucky ice in my drinks and just a few seconds in this blender seemed to work. I tried to read the instruction manual and look online about instructions for putting ice in this blender, but I couldn't find anything. I've been putting ice in daily for about six months and so far I haven't seen any damage to the product. Overall, this product is a decent blender but doesn't meet all my needs. The other issue I started to notice right away is the pitcher tends to leak when I have fluids in it because there is a small crack in it near the base. I've never dropped it so I'm not sure if the material is cheap or if it happened in the dishwasher. I called the company to look for a replacement and I was told to file a manufacturer claim. This item has proven to be more of a hassle and I'm not looking forward to shipping it back. However, I've been unable to find another blender on the market that can chop ice as durably as this one. I'm not much of a smoothie drinker, but my mother has this same product and raves about how her smoothies come out. I would not recommend this product over other blenders if using it for everyday use. The base of the product seems durable, but I'm concerned how long the pitcher will last me. It is quite a pricey blender for the quality and I've seen similar products on the market that I would recommend. The size of the item is not too bulky and would be good for average size kitchens, but not for small or recreational size kitchens. The adjustments for speeds are nice and easy to operate. Not worth the extra money in my opinion

A necessity for every household

from Pennsylvania

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
  • Good Pitcher
  • Powerful
  • Precise Control
  • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

This Vitamix is amazing. At first, I was concerned that it would be like many blenders I had in the past in terms of it being difficult to clean and bulky in the kitchen but I have been pleasantly surprised. It's very easy to clean and use. It sits on my kitchen counter but doesn't take up more space than necessary. The easy cleaning allows me to use it frequently. I make multiple smoothies daily and use it also to blend sauces, soups and puree sauces. Every household should have this Vitamix, it not only works to perfection but can be used in so many ways throughout the day.

I would buy this product again.

from Quilcene WA

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Powerful
    • Precise Control

Love makeing my smoothies

Perfect!

from Jonesboro Arkansas

About Me Gourmet Chef

Pros

• Easy To Clean
      • Good Pitcher
      • Powerful
      • Precise Control
      • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I love using this product for my early morning protein smoothies! Truly amazing!!!!!! You all must buy it! Pays for itself in a week!

LOVE LOVE MY BLENDER

from Destin, FL

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
        • Good Pitcher
        • Powerful
        • Precise Control
        • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

This is the best purchase I ever made at a State Fair. I watched the demo a few times and put considerable thought into such a large purchase. I was not disappointed one bit. It's the best blender I've used. I would purchase it again if I had too.

Amazing

from Cleveland ohio

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
          • Good Pitcher
          • Powerful
          • Precise Control
          • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

Love how powerful it is and blends everything smooth!

I would buy this product again.

from Taylor mill ky

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
            • Powerful

The perfect blender

from Florida

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Good Pitcher
              • Powerful

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I am not a smoothie person, but this blender is much more than that! I make baby food, soups, drinks and even juice with this blender. There are tons of recipes for all different things all over the internet and we love trying out new things. The pitcher size is perfect for our family of 3. Although this blender is not dishwasher safe, I throw some warm water and dish soap in, turn it to high for about 30 seconds and a quick rinse down and it's good to go. This blender is a bit heavy, but I don't mind, it means is sturdy to me! I have seen some say this blender is very noisy, but what blender isn't. This blender can be a bit pricey for some, but it's worth it! Another thing I love is the kid fits tight. I have even blended up some dips and used the pitcher to transport the dip to friends houses. I would definitely recommend this blender to friends and family and have many times!

Amazing

from Windsor maine

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

The ultra-popular Vitamix 5200 blender a blending powerhouse, and a top-selling model in the Vitamix Legacy series. The 5200 was first released in 2007, so it's an older design but its exceptional durability and quality have been thoroughly tested by thousands of buyers. To this day, many home chefs and even commercial establishments are using the Vitamix 5200. It remains one of the most popular high-end models, even though Vitamix has come out with more than 20 new models since 2007.

The 2 horsepower Swedish-built motor that produces a lot of blending power, 10 variable speed options, easy-to-operate toggle switches, 64 oz container, and all the other features make this a fantastic choice if you're in the market for a super reliable, high-end machine.

Blender 5200

from Louisiana

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
                  • Good Pitcher
                  • Powerful

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

This blender is amazing. I mostly use if for smoothies, and no matter what I put in, the smoothies turn out just as delicious and smooth as any I've gotten at a real smoothie place. My kids love the smoothies from this Vitamix and it's easy to get them to have lots of fruits and veggies when we make smoothies in the Vitamix.
                    It's easy to clean.
                    It came with a recipe book, and I need to try more of the recipes since they sound simple and delicious.
                    The pitcher is big enough for just about any recipe.
                    The machine is loud, but I have gotten used to it.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

I would most definitely buy this product again!

from Farmersville,TX

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Good Pitcher
                    • Powerful
                    • Precise Control
                    • Stable

Cons

• Hard to Clean

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I used to use one of these type of blenders for making frozen drinks, smoothies, dips and anything as far as cooking goes it does it all and very well. It finely blends the ingredients smoothly. It's just hard to clean pieces on it somewhat and could be bigger as far as the pitcher goes.