Other Blenders:
VM0103
Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200
Rca_2013_overall

Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200

Pros

• Good power output (112)
  • Easy to clean (106)
  • Good pitcher (81)
  • Precise control (80)
  • Stable (80)

Cons

• Hard to clean (23)
  • Poor pitcher (15)
  • Complicated controls (13)
  • Unstable (10)
  • Not powerful (7)

• Drinks (117)
  • Cooking (76)
  • Crushing ice (75)
  • Small kitchen (56)
  • Large kitchen (49)
    • Blending Power:
    • Versatility:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (76), Avid cook (29), Gourmet chef (26)
    • I received a sample (88), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (33)

The Vita Mix is a work horse of a blender - our best yet!

About two years ago I started making a fruit smoothie every morning.  Frozen strawberries, a banana, orange juice, yogurt, and flax seed (and more recently blue berries).  Unfortunately I found that our standard Kitchen Aid blender was not up to the task.  It simply could not handle the frozen strawberries.  I would fight with it by starting and stopping and tilting the blender but I eventually became frustrated. So I did a bit of research and found the Breville Blender which even had a special smoothie setting.  I was happy with this blender for several months but it seemed to lose its initial effectiveness over time.  The seals started leaking, the blades seemed to get duller and I got frustrated.  So, you can imagine my delight when my brother in law offered up his Vita Mix.  They just weren't using it and I was all too happy to take it home for a spin.Well, that was about eight weeks ago.  I am happy to report that I am a very happy user of the Vita Mix.  It is without a doubt more powerful and sturdy by a factor of a at least two than the Kitchen Aid or Breville blenders.  I still need to push the ingredients down once or twice, but once that adjustment is made, it blends through the smoothie ingredients like nobodies business.  The units is a bit louder and bulkier and not as sleek looking at the other two, but at the end of the day I will gladly take function over form.  So if you are a demanding consumer who pushes your blender to the edge, the Vita Mix is for you. Just know you are getting an "industrial strength" blender that is louder, uglier and bigger than the other less powerful models but you will thank yourself in the long run.

Blending Power
Better than any other blender I have owned.

Versatility
We make smoothies and soups

Unlike some other blenders, does not disassemble. The blade does not unscrew from the container. However, still very easy to clean.

Very easy to use. No electronics. Just levels and dials.

Sounds and looks like an airplane motor. Not pretty but gets the job done

Built like a tank

I expected much more

The only thing that I was able to successfully do with this blender was chop ice or raw vegetables. When I was making salsa, the ingredients did not blend together very well, there were still large chucks of jalapeno and tomato. Raw vegetables chopped up easily but not when liquid was added. I found a trick of chopping my vegetables first, then adding the liquid and that seemed to work much better. I love chucky ice in my drinks and just a few seconds in this blender seemed to work. I tried to read the instruction manual and look online about instructions for putting ice in this blender, but I couldn't find anything. I've been putting ice in daily for about six months and so far I haven't seen any damage to the product. Overall, this product is a decent blender but doesn't meet all my needs. The other issue I started to notice right away is the pitcher tends to leak when I have fluids in it because there is a small crack in it near the base. I've never dropped it so I'm not sure if the material is cheap or if it happened in the dishwasher. I called the company to look for a replacement and I was told to file a manufacturer claim. This item has proven to be more of a hassle and I'm not looking forward to shipping it back. However, I've been unable to find another blender on the market that can chop ice as durably as this one. I'm not much of a smoothie drinker, but my mother has this same product and raves about how her smoothies come out. I would not recommend this product over other blenders if using it for everyday use. The base of the product seems durable, but I'm concerned how long the pitcher will last me. It is quite a pricey blender for the quality and I've seen similar products on the market that I would recommend. The size of the item is not too bulky and would be good for average size kitchens, but not for small or recreational size kitchens. The adjustments for speeds are nice and easy to operate. Not worth the extra money in my opinion

Great Gift

from Idaho Falls, ID

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
  • Good Pitcher
  • Powerful
  • Precise Control
  • Quiet
  • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I received this blender as a Christmas gift and I have to say it was something I never knew I wanted. Even on low power it blends with great consistency and results in the smoothest purees. Normally when I make my applesauce my blender leaves me with a chunky sauce, but not with the Vitamix blender. I didn't realize it was possible to create such smooth concoctions using a blender. On top of that this blender is actually quiet in comparison to others. I feel comfortable using my Vitamix even when my baby is asleep in the next room.

Love this product!

from Monticello, ky

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
    • Good Pitcher
    • Powerful
    • Precise Control
    • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I love this product! This is the best blender I have ever owned! I definetly would recommend it to anyone looking for the perfect blender!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

I will always be a fan

from Florida

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
      • Good Pitcher
      • Powerful
      • Precise Control
      • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I absolutely love this blender! It makes mixed drinks in a snap! I use it at least once a week for dinner and a huge hit at parties!

A Miracle Speed Blender

from Laurel ms

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
        • Good Pitcher
        • Powerful
        • Precise Control
        • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

This Blender is wonderful and easy to operate all the way round for it is a great product one which I do recommended to every one which I see. The price of it no one can beat.It is easy to clean it is so easy to use i love the color the texture of it the color the speed the time period just everything about this blender this is the reason why I must name this blender a miracle speed blender.

Would buy it again

from San Diego ca

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
          • Good Pitcher
          • Powerful
          • Precise Control
          • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

Totally in love with this amazing product I use it every day I make my smoothies and they come out delicious everything blends well doesn't leave chunks like other ones I definitely recommend it great quality and value love it

Love features!

from Parkersburg, wv

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
            • Good Pitcher
            • Powerful
            • Precise Control
            • Stable

Cons

• Hard to Clean

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I love every feature. It does a fantastic job. The only thing that I don't like is washing the blades can be a little dangerously.

This will last a lifetime

from Cleveland, oh

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
            • Good Pitcher
            • Powerful
            • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I absolutely love using this blender it is very versatile in the recipes that you make. I constantly am making fresh peanut butter in this blender it comes out amazing and I know exactly what's going into it. Another thing I really like to make in here soup and sauces also salsa. It crushes ice to make very good drinks and the quality is superb I know that it will last a very long time. It's super easy to clean it is a little bit on the larger side the base is kind of big but I don't mind it.

Perfect blender!

from marcellus mi

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
              • Good Pitcher
              • Powerful
              • Precise Control
              • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I use this all the time! It is a breeze to clean and the settings allow you to make anything with precision!

Highly recommend

from Palatka, Florida

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
                • Good Pitcher
                • Powerful
                • Precise Control
                • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I love this blender. I make smoothies for myself and my kids. Works so Easy and smoothly. So easy to clean up. Best blender there is.

Easy peasy

from NY, NY

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I was in the market for a blender for my morning smoothies. This one definitely did the job quickly unlike my MB. The Vitamix had no problem chopping the ice!! Great blender just a awkward design to store openly on my counter.