Other Blenders:
VM0103
Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200
Rca_2013_overall

Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200

Pros

• Good power output (155)
  • Easy to clean (147)
  • Good pitcher (115)
  • Stable (112)
  • Precise control (111)

Cons

• Hard to clean (29)
  • Poor pitcher (17)
  • Complicated controls (14)
  • Unstable (11)
  • Not powerful (7)

• Drinks (166)
  • Crushing ice (114)
  • Cooking (104)
  • Small kitchen (78)
  • Large kitchen (68)
    • Blending Power:
    • Versatility:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (113), Avid cook (39), Gourmet chef (31)
    • I received a sample (100), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (39)

The Vita Mix is a work horse of a blender - our best yet!

About two years ago I started making a fruit smoothie every morning.  Frozen strawberries, a banana, orange juice, yogurt, and flax seed (and more recently blue berries).  Unfortunately I found that our standard Kitchen Aid blender was not up to the task.  It simply could not handle the frozen strawberries.  I would fight with it by starting and stopping and tilting the blender but I eventually became frustrated. So I did a bit of research and found the Breville Blender which even had a special smoothie setting.  I was happy with this blender for several months but it seemed to lose its initial effectiveness over time.  The seals started leaking, the blades seemed to get duller and I got frustrated.  So, you can imagine my delight when my brother in law offered up his Vita Mix.  They just weren't using it and I was all too happy to take it home for a spin.Well, that was about eight weeks ago.  I am happy to report that I am a very happy user of the Vita Mix.  It is without a doubt more powerful and sturdy by a factor of a at least two than the Kitchen Aid or Breville blenders.  I still need to push the ingredients down once or twice, but once that adjustment is made, it blends through the smoothie ingredients like nobodies business.  The units is a bit louder and bulkier and not as sleek looking at the other two, but at the end of the day I will gladly take function over form.  So if you are a demanding consumer who pushes your blender to the edge, the Vita Mix is for you. Just know you are getting an "industrial strength" blender that is louder, uglier and bigger than the other less powerful models but you will thank yourself in the long run.

Blending Power
Better than any other blender I have owned.

Versatility
We make smoothies and soups

Unlike some other blenders, does not disassemble. The blade does not unscrew from the container. However, still very easy to clean.

Very easy to use. No electronics. Just levels and dials.

Sounds and looks like an airplane motor. Not pretty but gets the job done

Built like a tank

I expected much more

The only thing that I was able to successfully do with this blender was chop ice or raw vegetables. When I was making salsa, the ingredients did not blend together very well, there were still large chucks of jalapeno and tomato. Raw vegetables chopped up easily but not when liquid was added. I found a trick of chopping my vegetables first, then adding the liquid and that seemed to work much better. I love chucky ice in my drinks and just a few seconds in this blender seemed to work. I tried to read the instruction manual and look online about instructions for putting ice in this blender, but I couldn't find anything. I've been putting ice in daily for about six months and so far I haven't seen any damage to the product. Overall, this product is a decent blender but doesn't meet all my needs. The other issue I started to notice right away is the pitcher tends to leak when I have fluids in it because there is a small crack in it near the base. I've never dropped it so I'm not sure if the material is cheap or if it happened in the dishwasher. I called the company to look for a replacement and I was told to file a manufacturer claim. This item has proven to be more of a hassle and I'm not looking forward to shipping it back. However, I've been unable to find another blender on the market that can chop ice as durably as this one. I'm not much of a smoothie drinker, but my mother has this same product and raves about how her smoothies come out. I would not recommend this product over other blenders if using it for everyday use. The base of the product seems durable, but I'm concerned how long the pitcher will last me. It is quite a pricey blender for the quality and I've seen similar products on the market that I would recommend. The size of the item is not too bulky and would be good for average size kitchens, but not for small or recreational size kitchens. The adjustments for speeds are nice and easy to operate. Not worth the extra money in my opinion

Great Vitamix Level Blender

from Oak Lawn, IL

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
  • Precise Control
  • Stable

Cons

• Chopping Not Too Powerful
  • Unstable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I have used my Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200 many times, and it still works very well. I do have a problem with it not chopping huge pieces, and I have to cut them into half in order to get the blender going and chopping. It does chop pretty well and better than your old fashion blender and chops better than other Vitamix I had in the past.

Awesome and powerfull

from Green bay, Wi

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
  • Powerful

Cons

• Poor Pitcher

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

This product is awesome to use for anything to making shakes, salsa, different blends for seasonings, etc. I like it cause it is super fast and easy to take apart and clean and put back together. Also the controls are easy enough to figure out how to use. I would definitely reccomend this to my friends and family to use.

Powerful blender!!

from Hanover Park il

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Powerful

• Large Kitchen

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

Loving my new Vitamix variable speed blender 5200!!
    I make myself a protein smoothie each morning and happy to say that this blender gets the job done ! With the different speeds I'm able to chose how fast and blended I want my drink to be made .
    It's very powerful and crushes fruit, ice and veggies within seconds !
    Definitely recommend !

Best Blender Ever

from Lake Grove, NY

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
    • Good Pitcher
    • Powerful
    • Precise Control
    • Speeds blend fresh and frozen ingredients
    • Stable

• Drinks
      • Fast healthy meals from smoothies to soups
      • Large Kitchen
      • Make your own bread crumbs
      • Small Kitchen

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I cook as natural as possible from the garden and grocery. This blender is tough and my smoothies, sauces and soups are smooth. Great for prep work for a diverticulitis diet, making baby food or canning tomato sauce. Made in USA.

Perfect blending machine

from Pearl River Louisiana 70452

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
      • Good Pitcher
      • Powerful
      • Precise Control
      • Stable

• Small Kitchen

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

It is the perfect size. It meets all my personal needs. I love it. I have a small kitchen. It fits perfect on my counter. I do recommend it. It is easy to clean and maintain.

I would buy this product again!

from mn

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Powerful

Cons

• Hard to Clean

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

a great product for smoothies!

The Best Blender

from Moses Lake Wa.

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
        • Good Pitcher
        • Powerful
        • Precise Control
        • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

This is in my top 5 small kitchen appliances..

I use it every dat

from Fayetteville tn

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
          • Good Pitcher
          • Powerful
          • Stable

Fast way to mix stuff

Love my Vitamix!

from Port Orchard, WA

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
            • Good Pitcher
            • Powerful
            • Precise Control
            • Stable

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

I love my vitamix. I use it every day for my Shakeology! It blends the ice and ingredients in a fast and smooth way. I have never had any problems with it and it is so powerful that it just takes a minute to blend. I also use it sometimes for food processing. It works great for blending foods also. Love it. I have never had a blender that works so efficiently and easy. As well as being easy to clean! Love it!

Great product!!

from Indiana

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Clean
              • Good Pitcher
              • Powerful
              • Precise Control
              • Stable

Cons

• Bulky

Comments about Vitamix Variable Speed Blender 5200:

Great blender slightly on the bigger side :) works great and lots of pressure.