4.9
Vitamix
Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender

Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender

4.9

Pros

• Stable (5)
  • Easy to clean (4)
  • Good power output (4)
  • Good pitcher (3)

Cons

• Drinks (5)
  • Cooking (4)
  • Crushing ice (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (4)

A must have for a lover of cooking

Comments about Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender:

I've had this product for a year and I absolutely love it. It is well worth the hefty price tag. I use it for many different purposes. I routinely make smoothies and chop vegetables in it. I have also made soups, sorbets, coconut or almond milk and almond flour. My only disappointment has been its ability to make nut butters. I can not get a good consistency with them. If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend it. You won't regret this purchase.

Blending Power
This blender has tremendous power. It can handle just about anything.

Versatility
I have used this blender for many different purposes. I've made almond flour, almond or coconut milk, smoothies, fruit sorbets, pasta sauces, soups and chopped vegetables. It has many different uses.

I usually just rinse the blender out with warm water and it gets clean. If you have some stubborn food that won't come off, simply put a drop of dish soap in it with warm water filled halfway. You then turn the blender and gradually increasing speed. Everything comes off so easily this way. You just rinse all the soap off and let it air dry.

This blender is very easy to use. You will always start at the lowest setting. From there you can gradually increase speed. I keep turning the speed up until I have reached the desired consistency.

This blender is definitely bulky and heavy, but you have to put a powerful motor somewhere. It is no more unsightly than any other small appliance I own.

The motor will shut off if it is close to overheating. This prevents you from burning the motor out. I have only had this happen once in the year that I have owned it. The blender has a very long warranty should anything happen to it.

• Versatility:

Great Blender, especially for healthy smoothies

Comments about Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender:

The Vitamix is a great blender for whipping up your traditional juice and yogurt based smoothies, and whatever else that you might use a blender for. The huge difference between the Vitamix and a normal blender is the ability of the Vitamix to pulverize whole fruits and vegetables into yummy and super healthy drinks. Before owning the Vitamix, I can't remember the last time that my kids were begging for more kale or spinach or broccoli. But with the Vitamix, you can put in a mixture of grapes, apples, bananas, orange, pineapple, cantaloupe and spinach or kale, and after you blend it you have a delicious drink with all of the fruit fiber included, unlike when using a juicer. But it isn't goopy or chunky, which is really good for me since I really detest chunky drinks (pulp in orange juice makes me gag). The end result is smooth and yummy. And the kids beg for more.

The Vitamix is great for other blending tasks also like making soup or crushing ice. If you run it long enough it will create its own heat so that you can make the soup hot simply by letting the Vitamix run for 5 minutes or so, and you end up with steaming hot soup. We have only done this once for the novelty of it because I really prefer a cooked on the stove top simmered soup, but it can be done.

Another of the kids' favorite uses is to whip up some semi health ice cream. We put in half and half (although you could use milk), sugar, vanilla, and usually some frozen fruit (or sometimes cocoa) and some ice. It blends up into a smooth ice cream like treat. The only thing I don't really like about making "ice cream" this way is that sometimes the sugar doesn't dissolve completely and it leaves the finished product a bit gritty. The kids, of course, are not at all bothered by this. It makes for a nice quick and somewhat healthy dessert when you have a sweet tooth and no other dessert on hand.

We also use ours to make hummus, but that can be a little tricky. If you are not careful to turn the Vitamix on high speed quickly after starting to blend, it can overheat and turn itself off. It is not a huge deal because it will restart just fine once it has cooled off, but it can be a pain. We learned this the hard way when we first used the blender to make thicker mixtures. But if you turn it onto high soon after starting to blend, it works great.

One of the downsides of the Vitamix is getting out all of the blended food when you are making something thick like hummus. It is almost impossible to get it all out, and since the blender container doesn't disassemble, it can be harder to clean as well. We are just sure to not let things sit and clean the blender container out right away after using it. Otherwise, it can be a pretty difficult task.

One other down side of the Vitamix is that the blender base and container are so tall that it will not fit on the counter top under a cabinet. We store the blender container in a cabinet and just keep the base on the counter top. It works for us, but I would prefer if I could just keep the whole thing together on top of the counter instead of having to find the space inside another cabinet to keep the pitcher. I have noticed that the newer Vitamix model has a shorter pitcher. I don't know if that alteration now makes the whole blender fit on the counter top under a cabinet, but it is worth looking into if that is important to you. I imagine that the new shorter and fatter blender container might also help to make the pitcher easier to clean out and work with as far as scraping thicket mixtures out of the blender.

All in all, the Vitamix is a great blender. It does ordinary blender tasks very well, and goes above and beyond by allowing you to use and blend whole foods into super healthy smoothies that the whole family loves.

We even take ours on vacation with us to use in the hotel room when we know that we will be on the run and will be eating out a lot with not such healthy food, The Vitamix makes it easy to pick up some fruit and veggies (if you want them) and turn them into a healthy and quick to make supplement to your diet.

• Versatility:

Very handy and powerful blender, useful for a variety of dishes

Comments about Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender:

Very powerful blender, perfect for soups, salsas, and smoothies. I use it on a daily basis for making smoothies that I take with me to class. I have also made soup with it before on a lower setting.

Blending Power
Very strong, can obliterate frozen fruits in seconds, only downside is that it is very loud and will wake up other people in the house if used in the early morning.

Versatility
It is just a tad large and heavy, which makes it difficult to fit into tight spots, it won't fit in the corner of the counter-top, underneath our cabinetry

The blender has faces that sink inside of the cavity, which makes it a little harder to clean. Also when I am blending peanut butter, the butter always gets stuck to the walls of the blender

Very simple, just flip the switch and adjust the power as necessary

The actual blender cavity is oddly designed with faceted edges

The push rod was accidentally chopped to bits when I put it in by mistake with no lid on

Love it!

from Magnolia, TX

Comments about Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender:

I bought my Vitamix in January 2012. I have been very pleased with its performance. It blends until all items are perfectly smooth, and it doesn't take very long. This means I can have smooth smoothies that aren't beginning to melt because of the engine heat. It also works well to chop/mince things at a lower speed.

Blending Power
Amazing blender. I have never seen something blended so smoothly.

Versatility
Love this blender. It can do pretty much everything. That being said, it could never replace a food processor, which allows you to custom slice things with different attachments depending on what you need. The Vitamix shreds/grinds/minces into similar forms, but it is so helpful to have a machine that can do anything in a pinch.

Just put hot water and soap in the blender and turn it on. It gets everything near the blades. Sometimes you have to wipe near the rim/spout where the water doesn't reach, but it's very easy to clean.

Love it.

I wish that Vitamix jar was a bit wider and the base smaller. The ridges/bumps in the jar make it hard to scrape thicker things, like nut butters out, but overall I have been more than satisfied.

Haven't had any problems with it yet!

Variable Speed

from Emmaus, PA

Comments about Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender:

I purchased the Vitamix Blender after doing much research. This appliance takes the place of nearly four appliances in the kitchen. It is lightweight and able to be moved around or stored in the pantry. One issue I have with this blender is it's height. It doesn't seem to fit properly on the kitchen counter without hitting the cupboard. It is too tall and therefore needs to be stored in a better location.
One of the greatest assets to this appliance is the variable speed regulator. I questioned the importance of getting a Vitamix that had this feature but am glad I did.
Cleaning this product is quick and easy and does not require much time or effort. Simply add water and a little dishsoap to the blender, set on high and the blender does all of the work. Can't ask for more.
The Vitamix can prepare entire meals in just minutes and has saved me a lot of time in the kitchen.

• Versatility:

This blender is an everyday kitchen tool.

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender:

I love this blender. I have had it for a few years now and it never disapoints. I make smoothies, dressings, soups, dips and I also have the dry container and grind oat flour and wheat flour and even powdered sugar in it. Love it!

The container is not diswasher safe. This is the one down side. I make sure to clean it immediately following use and it isn't a big deal. I still however wish it was diswasher safe.

The container doesn't fit under my counter while on the motor. This is a bit annoying so I just store the motor on the counter top and he containers in the cupboard below.

Similar To Other Vita Mix Models But Worth Every Penny

from Podunk, NY

Comments about Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender:

Over the years i have had the opportunity to use many different models of the Vita Mix. I make all of our food from scratch, so having a Vita Mix in our home is essential. We use it daily.

One of the nicer models is the Vitamix Professional Blender 1709. Similar to the Vitamix 5200 and the Vita Prep 3 (model 1005), the difference is mostly in the horsepower. The Vitamix 5200 and 1709 are both 2 horsepower at peak and the Vita Prep 3 is 3 horsepower peak.

The features are very similar. The container is 64 oz capacity. There is a lever on one side to go from variable (setting the speed with the center dial) and a lever on the other side which flips for on and off.

All models have intelligent blending speeds- it slows down and speeds up based upon the tension the ingredients place on the blades. Once everything is chopped up decently, you flip the switch from variable to high and you can have a smooth sauce, smoothie, or soup.

There is a tamper for thick mixtures to force the stuff into the blades, and a removable center plug in the top for easier mixing with the tamper, or adding ingredients. The top is domed to prevent the mixtures from gushing out of the top when blending.

This unit comes with a cooking class style DVD, a cookbook from CIA chefs, and an owner's manual.

Blending Power
Excellent. I use this for soup, sauces, and smoothies mostly, and this unit makes them VERY smooth. You can also use it for chopping, juicing, and crushing ice. As long as there is plenty of liquid in the container, this blends beautifully and does not get bogged down unless the ingredients inside are way too thick. I want to also mention that this machine is FAR LESS LOUD than the original Vita Mixes back when they used to be all metal such as the 4000.

Versatility
The Vitamix 1709 allows me to chop, grind, liquify, and make sauces, dips, pureees, even butter if you want. IT comes with a book of recipes from CIA chefs to give ideas of what to do with it. It also comes with a DVD for easy training to understand how to do it.

Just fill the container halfway with warm water, a drop of dish soap, and blend. Then a few rinses, and it is good to go for another use.

This Vita Mix is so easy to use, it speeds up food prep greatly. We eat a lot of raw foods, so making soups, sauces, or smoothies is a snap and VERY smooth.

I love this unit. I would prefer that the center dial be more sturdy. i have seen them be hard to turn like they should be, but many units I have tested out did not have secure center dials, so I feel it is an inconsistency that needs to be addressed.

There is a 7 year warranty on this unit (like the Vitamix 5200), and it is much more durable than the old Vita Mix models which tended to have problems with the blades breaking and coming apart. The container is good and as long as you don't grind grain in it, it will remain clear and not get scratched up. The base is pretty decent, although many of the center dials on the units I have used are loose which is annoying but not essentially hindering in the use of the blender.

high quality product

from Westminster, CO

high quality durable blender

excellent job

Versatility
works on everything I have tried

don't like to take blade out each time, very sharp

sometimes difficult to line up lid to fit exactly right

great design

very durable

• Versatility:

I still can't think of a single bad thing about the Vitamix.

from Henderson, NV

Comments about Vitamix Professional Series Variable-Speed Blender:

I love our Vitamix blender. I really can't think of anything critical to say about it. My husband got it for me three years ago for my birthday and we both love it.

The best thing for me is that it makes eating healthier easier. My husband makes the best smoothies with frozen fruit, yougurt, bananas, and a spoonfl of orange juice concentrate. They are so good, and even our children love them.

If you are in a not so healthy mood, the Vitamix also makes the very best milkshakes. So good and creamy. You really can blend anything and everything in the Vitamix, I mean everything.

I also love that the Vitamix is very easy to clean. We rinse it out of all the junk and then just run it for a minute with hot water in it and its ready to go. The lid does take a bit of actually washing to get clean, but if you're careful you won't have to clean the lid too often.

Finally, I love how big it is. I can double recipes and they still fit in the blender with no problem. It makes enough smoothie for me and my husband to have large glasses full and both our kids to have small glasses full. We love it! But one tip, keep it out on the counter so you use it often, otherwise it is a bit of a pain to get it out each time and it will just sit on a shelf.