3.1

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:

Great choice when on a budget, I love it!

I love my Vigin Mobile Cell, it offers me all the coverage I need for a great price. Not to mention, unlimited Text, and internet each month for a low 40.00 a month. Thats just the card I buy, there are also cards from 25.00-60.00 that I have seen. I can access my facebook where ever and when ever I want. I take can great pictures with my cell also, and email them to my email or anyone I chose. It has a keybored that I really like, make for easy texting. I can download the latest ringtones and ringbacks. It offers many more great features also. I paid 20.00 for the phone, and then you buy what ever card you want. I found mine at K-Mart.
It is great for anyone on a budget, or teens just starting out on a prepay. I am very satisfied.

Virgin Mobile used to be great but is now disappointing

**UPDATED 2-November-2010**

**UPDATED 2-November-2010**

**The Verdict:**  Virgin Mobile is a still a pretty good option for those who don't use cell phones frequently.  I've got nearly my whole family on Virgin Mobile and it's working out all right, but with some glitches.

**Just the Facts:**  I was an early adopter of Virgin Mobile's new pre-paid cell phone service way back in 2001.  It was a good option for my limited cell phone needs and I continue to use it to this day.

Several years ago my husband got us cell phones at a reduced price from his employer.  We had a 3-year contract at about $40 per phone or $80 per month.  After the novelty of always having a phone handy wore off we found that we weren't using them as often and were wasting much of that money.

So when the company went bankrupt 2 years into our contract I was happy to take the early contract termination offer and switched to Virgin Mobile's pre-paid service shortly thereafter.

While Virgin has added a few different options to their service, I'm still using the basic pre-paid option.  In June, 2010, I switched over to the $25 per month unlimited text and data plan on a new LG Touch phone that also offered 300 monthly minutes.  The phone broke within 6 weeks and Virgin Mobile replaced it, but it took them 4 months to get the billing correct on my plan so they kept dropping my service.  My husband, and both my parents had the same issue with their pre-paid plans.

I recently started having trouble with my phone again and trouble sending and receiving texts and photos not uploading to Facebook so I switched back to the pre-paid plan.  Only Virgin would not take the horrible, glitchy phone back so it was basically a waste of $150 and $15 a month since July.

In addition, customer service has become just dismal. I used to be able to call in and hit 0 to speak to a customer service rep but they removed that capability.  I also used to be able to dial *86 from my phone to speak to customer service but they took that away as well.  Last week when I called to talk to someone about my issues with the LG Touch phone and my account, I was placed on hold multiple times, hung up on twice, and could barely understand any of the people I spoke to.   So I'm not sure what happened to customer service with Virgin Mobile, but it's not good anymore.

That said, I'm sticking with them for now as they still have reasonably priced phones, the most hassle-free, no contract plans, and no hidden fees (yet).  I spent all weekend researching other companies' pre-paid plans and this is still the one that fits my needs best.

Virgin has several phones available from basic to models with all the bells and whistles.  I switch every 2 years or so and generally go for one of the mid-range models.  I like a flip phone so the keys are protected and really like the phones that have real song ringtones.  I can usually buy a new phone for under $50 and it's fairly easy to just make the switch online.  All of the money in my account transfers to the new phone, as does my phone number.  The only downside is that any downloaded ringtones or screensavers and contacts do not transfer to the new phone.  Phones can be ordered from Virgin's website or purchased at retail stores, such as Radio Shack, Walgreens, and Target.

Reception and coverage with VM has always been pretty good for me and I experience less dropped calls than when we had the MCI cell phones.  I've only had coverage problems a few times.  One was when I was 14,000 up a mountain in Colorado, one was when I was down on a beach in San Diego (I think the rock cliff behind me was interfering), and once on a cruise ship.  Other than that, the coverage has been really good and I've not had trouble making or receiving calls.

When my dad got really sick a few years ago and my mom needed to be in touch with me and my family at all times, I took her to Target and helped her pick out a phone.  We were all able to stay in touch to figure out where my dad needed to be and to coordinate his care.  When dad received an organ transplant earlier this year our VM phones worked even in the most remote parts of the hospital.

My husband got one of his own at this time as well and not long after that I got one for my aunt.  And now that my dad is back in the land of the living and out and about, he has his very own Virgin Mobile phone and account as well.  The phones are easy to understand, and while my family of those pushing 40 and those over 65 are totally throwing off VM's demographic, the system totally meets our limited needs.

Another complaint about Virgin Mobile is that the customer service prompts and reps are on the young side.  In their defense, VMs demographic is people under 25 so their VME and reps appeal to that age range so we just deal with the hipness even though we're so not hip.  The other issue is that if you order phones or accessories online they are delivered FedEx and require a signature so if they deliver and you're not home you'll have to chase down your package.

**Closing Argument**: I was a very early adopter of Virgin Mobile and have been a customer since 2001.  Until this year, I did not foresee switching to a new service, but after the multiple issues me and my family has had with payments not processing and bad customer service, I'm open to a new service.  I'm sticking with Virgin Mobile for now as I don't use my phone very often and don't need anything more than pre-paid, but will continue to keep my eyes open for a better option.

READ THIS!!!!

from Florida

This is the truth!
Adding airtime is hard. I used tracfones easier than this. I am never or had a virgin phone again and this was when in 2000 or god knows. NOOOOOO!
If you want a head ache, buy this phone and make up a pin code I think, and add the number or 1-800-i give up.
Thanks.

Horrible

from Derry, NH

Comments about Virgin Mobile USA:

Horrible customer service. Charging for a phone that doesn't work

great company

from upstate ny

Comments about Virgin Mobile USA:

I have used this company over 11 yrs all my children s phones are from this company as well i pay a decent amount consider i have four lines on my account. customer service always helpful if in the event you have an issue with phone. but they are quick to resolve the issue!!!!!

Great Service

from Mount Carbon, WV

Comments about Virgin Mobile USA:

My family all has different carriers of cell service. I personally use Virgin Mobile. I have used them since they first came out. It does not pick up in some rural areas where others do work. I have a Iphone 5 and pay $35 a month for unlimited talk/text/internet. The only complaint is their customer service, they cant speak English well and they dont understand me either which makes it hard to discuss any issues.

virgin mobile's idea of service

from bowling green ky.

Comments about Virgin Mobile USA:

I bought a phone in march of 2015 but only used it one month because I was having trouble getting my number switched. Last night I washed my other phone and like a fool thought I would just get this one going. about 2:30 am my husband got a phone call that his mother was in the hospital. I have been trying since 4 am to get this phone going. I can't remember my pin and the one on my phone is from Mar. 2015 is not the right one. they tell me that if I get them a copie of an I. D. they can get it going sometime? so now I have wasted most of the minites I bought trying to pay a months bill and still cant recive call's from my husband I have to call him for up dates PS. his mother died a little after 8:45 Am today.

Terrible service representative-Edgar

from ann arbor mi

Comments about Virgin Mobile USA:

The service rep Edgar was extremely impatient and impolite.He first suggested me to look through their website for plan details, when I asked if I could ask him instead, he said of course but rushed me what questions that I have about the plans, and that he is not going to just stay on the line for nothing! Someone should train him how to treat his customer before he put his headphone on. If a rep speaks too fast and has no patient, he should not be representing a company.

I love Virgin Mobile company

from saudi arabia

Comments about Virgin Mobile USA:

In Saudi Arabia PURCHASED connection from Virgin Mobile Slice and they have a lot of offers I hope to advance the level of service in the future and that there is a customer service (now there are only a few ) will be very excellent

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Distinct

from Turkey

This Brand apparatus live long so I like her

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Great option for responsible consumers

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Virgin Mobile USA:

I've found this service to meet all my hot buttons and needs. That being said I can see where others would disagree and give a lower rating. I am rarely outside of major metro areas and as such their services utilizing the Sprint network work incredibly well for what I need. When I do go off the beaten path, it goes to no service pretty quick so if you traverse the borders of their coverage map just beware. I find I can stream Pandora while out jogging just fine and I rarely drop calls. As for the phones, most everything you would want is available. I tend to try and stay a model or two behind what is current so I don't run into issues with having a phone that is too old that potentially runs into firmware problems as it stops being updated while on the other end of the spectrum I avoid the high costs of trying to keep up with the latest and greatest by buying the current model when it comes out. Virgin's best strength is the monthly rate so if they have a plan that fits your needs, it is likely you'll find it about the most cost effect among pre-paid plans. If you are responsible with money and can afford a phone upfront, this will save you money in the long run over being subjected to the inflated costs the contract phone plans fail to tell you about that are loaded into their monthly rates.

Ehhhh

from GA

Comments about Virgin Mobile USA:

I have used Virgin Mobile for years because I was in need of a cheap cell phone plan and this was the cheapest I found. It worked great for a while, I didn't have many problems with it until they decided that my phone through them was no longer good and they refused to give it upgrades. Well, my phone has lasted me and has held up very well but a lot of apps are no longer compatible thanks to Virgin Mobile discontinuing upgrades for it only because their opinion was that it's not a good phone. They have told me if I were to buy another phone, they will up the charge on my bill as well so I'm holding onto this phone. The plan I have works well for me because I don't like talking on the phone- so I don't have a lot of minutes per month but I get a lot of data usage and text messaging which is what I do use my phone for. They took coverage away in my area here at home a while back. I did not appreciate this. Instead of taking away coverage, you'd think they'd try to expand it but they won't listen when you contact customer service. They don't really seem to know what they're doing. I'm unhappy but due to it being the cheapest plan out there, I stick with it but the second, I can find a better deal one day with someone else- I'm changing providers.