4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

• In-Flight Accommodations:

If you want inexpensive quality - fly Virgin America.

No longer will the consumer be left withonly one choice for inexpensive travel. Virgin American has clearly come to the forefront of the travel world and cleanly shoved Southwest aside as the cost-conscious consumer's choice for travel. (Granted, Virgin America only has a few routes at present, but I guarantee that they will be adding more as their popularity grows.)

Why is Virgin America so great?

1)  Roomy seats - when the person in front of you relines your tray table isn't shoved into your gut. And, no more bald heads  literally in your face! The seats are also leather(?) on a moulded modern plastic frame. In the seat back, is the entertainment and communication module - more on that later.

2)  Good, no-GREAT Food!  Now that we have to pay for food on flights, it might as well be good.  And, it sure is. Prices for meals range from $7-$9. (I recommend the Fruit and Cheese box, the Mandarin Chicken Wrap and the Chicken Salad Wrap. Snacks are also offered, as well as specialty drinks.  As always, sodas, coffee, tea, etc. are complimentary. The cool thing is that you can order and pay for your items on the module in the back of the seat.  Your food is instantly delivered by one of the fun and friendly flight attendants.

3) Entertainment - The safety video is a hoot to watch, and doesn't insult your intelligence as do the safety demos offered on other airlines. And - you will never believe this - your seat cushion is NOT a flotation device!  The entertainment and communication module (Linux-based) located in the seat back in front of you, above the tray table, has so many choices - most free - to keep you amused on your flight. The difference between Virgin America and other airlines are the CHOICES. You can pick one of several current movies, regular TV (including sports, news, Sci Fi, and sitcoms), and text messaging feature that allows you to communicate with anyone else on the plane. This is great, especially for people like my husband and I, who sit across aisle from each other instead of next to each other. We can gossip away and no one will ever know! There are video games (operated with the removable controller from your armrest) which is a controller on one side fr games, TV controller, etc. and a keyboard on the other (for texting). Or you can watch the flight as it progresses across the country on Google Maps - or. listen to any type of music you like..there are so many choices, I can't remember what they all were. Oh, and as I mentioned above, you can order your food and drinks - and pay for them with the handy credit card slot.

They also offer power for all electronic devices for each seat, and encourage their use (except for cell phones, of course).

4) The boarding process - this is where Virgin did some research on human behavior and the sociology of plane boarding. You are divided into groups - I couldn't figure out the categories are created - As usual, kids, first class and those needing extra assistance go first. Then, the groups are called. They do not seem to be in seat order - but in a pattern that allows people to be settled in before the next group boards. There was no traffic jams, fighting over stowage space, or climbing over people to get into your seat. Sweet. Compare that to the Southwest "cattle boarding" method. They have changed it several times over the years, but no matter how they set it up, it is based on the first come - first served method, thus creating the aura reminiscent of waiting in line for Rolling Stones concert tickets.

5)  Flight Attendants - Southwest used to be fun - back about 15 yrs ago. Now, they are just as bitter and jaded as all the other airline hosts/hostesses. The entire crew, from Captain to attendants, assist with the boarding and the "deplaneing." Young, friendly, upbeat - they way that flight crews should be. With the heightened anxiety associated with flying today, an unfriendly or snippy attendant is the LAST thing you need to make your flight even more stressful.

6) Price - they are inexpensive. They match Southwest in fares, and are a lot less expensive than Jet Blue.

What more can I say? Oh - they have a lighting scheme that helps with mood.  Blues, pinks, purples - very soothing.  Someone did their research!

Virgin America ROCKS.

Virgin America Customer Service Nightmare

May 16, 2008

Dear Customer,

May 16, 2008

Dear Customer,

I felt compelled to write this letter after the thirtieth birthday trip my partner and I planned was foiled by the apathetic attitudes we experienced when dealing with Virgin America Airlines. Initially we booked this flight because we were told this smaller trendy airline was fun and slightly more personable than the typical "box them up and shove them through" airlines most of us experience when we fly today. Initially we had some problems booking through the airlines web page so I called them directly and had a representative their book our trip. The day before our departure arrived and everything was set to get off the ground when we hoped it would. However things quickly took a turn for the worst after we realized they had made a scheduling mistake with our flight. Aware of $40.00 rescheduling fee I hastily called the Virgin America's customer service hotline to resolve the issue.

What ensued can only be described as the most painfully time consuming and frustrating experience I have ever had when dealing with an airline. Not only did Virgin America charge me the $40.00 rescheduling fee outlined on their webpage but they also added the difference in prices between the flights. A fee of $272.00 was accessed by the airline to change our departure from San Diego to San Francisco and an additional charge of $272.00 for our return flight as well. The customer services representatives were blatantly indifferent to our situation and staunchly insisted the $544.00 total fee difference was "my only option". I was disturbed that the representatives I dealt with (three separate individuals) seemed to deliberately and maliciously leave me on hold for fifteen minute increments for nearly two hours. I felt as if each time they picked up the phone they were only doing so to ensure they were operating with in company consumer holding protocol (assuming of course they even have such policies). At no point did they offer me options or give me professional feedback regarding the status of the issue while I was holding. I never felt as though they were operating to assist me with my problem in anyway. The representatives I dealt with were unbelievably disrespectful to me as a customer and highly unprofessional .The changes I did make were painfully time consuming, stressful and costly to our vacation budget.  When all was said and done I ended up with the exact same flights I had originally paid for. However a $125.00 charge was accessed on my credit card for good measure due to my changes and their time. Mind you the changes I initially tried to make were canceled and I reverted to my initial flight with in an excruciatingly long two hour period. The bargain we thought we were getting to fly on this airline was not at all worth it. Not only did I end up paying $323.00 for the exact same flight that I originally booked for a cost of $198.00 but my total losses due to other cancelations exceeded $500.00. I would highly recommend that all my friends, family members other consumers not wanting to suffer the same fate consider flying with another more service driven airline. Our best experiences to date have been with Southwest Airlines.

Sincerely,

Unimpressed San Diego

My number one choice!

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I have used the services of Virgin America Airlines for quite a few times now. When my husband and I have to travel domestically, Virgin Airlines is our number one choice. The tickets we get are of the reasonable amount possible, plus they are not very strict with the cabin bag size and the best of all, they give the free entertainment service in the sky. Every time our travel with the Virgin America Airlines has gone smoothly. The on ground staff as well as in flight staff are courteous and polite and welcome you with a smile.
Their departures and arrivals have been on time so far, with a smooth flight. The seats are comfortable and the guests are served with complimentary drinks as well. They also have a wide variety of paid meals to select from. Overall, Virgin America airline is an affordable way to travel, especially when you are in a group. Try it once, you will not be disappointed.

A Better Airline

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

Virgin is one of the better airlines out there, second only to Jet Blue probably (and maybe Southwest). I give it a 9 mainly because there are so many poor airlines out there now, that the few negatives about Virgin aren't nearly as bad as them. There really are more positives though. Virgin as a company in general is run pretty well across the board with their variety of products and businesses, and it extends to their airlines.

Service
I mean its an airline, there are always some issues. Virgin tries to make it much better than normal though. The bag fee is pricey, but it could be worse and they make up for it in other ways. The people seem friendlier and more helpful than with other airlines.

In-Flight Accommodations
There are some nice features. You can order food and drink from the seat. There is in seat entertainment devices as well if you don't want to bring your own, or waste the battery on yours. There are plenty of modern amenities with Virgin. There are cool color lights that change as well. They at least try to make it a nice experience a la the "Jet Age".

Pleasurable flying experience

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I started flying this airline after I flew Virgin Atlantic several years ago. I had such a positive experience on that flight that I was curious to see how Virgin American flights would perform. My sister in law flew Virgin American several times and always raved about what quality service she received. I really love flying with Virgin American. They are very experienced and polished. Everything runs smoothly from purchasing tickets, checking in, going through security to the actual flight itself. The flight attendants are very friendly, professional and often quite humorous. Flying can be stressful and the flight attendants being chatty and funny makes the trip so much easier. I am short so I really can't ever complain about leg space room. I find there is enough room for me to sit comfortably. The seats are as comfortable as seats can be on an airplane. The in flight entertainment is good. My bags have never been lost and I have never experienced any issues with flying this airline.

Service
Virgin American flight attendants are extremely friendly, professional and good at their jobs.

Good experience so far!

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I travel frequently for work as well as for personal reasons. I have flown with Virgin America Airlines many times and have had a good experience so far. I found their seats to be quite comfortable with a lot of leg room. The flight really doesn't seem as long as it is if you are comfortably seated and that is true for Virgin America. I once had an aisle seat that was so comfortable that I reached my destination before I could finish my video game, which doesn't happen too often when I travel by air! I also like the ability to order food and drinks on the interactive screen. It is quite comfortable to sit and watch the news on that screen. The flight attendants and other staff is quite professional and helpful. Their food and beverage selection is nice and the quality of food is above average than most airlines. The best part is that this airline is almost always on time! I am yet to fly a delayed Virgin America Airline!

Good for the price

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I flew non stop from LAX to ORD with Virgin America Airlines. My flight was overbooked and Virgin was the next available flight out to Chicago. I had never flown Virgin prior to my last minute decision, but I'm glad I didn't wait for another airline. When I went to my seat I had a empty seat next to me to put my backpack. I didn't even need the empty seat because I had enough room due to the seating layout on the plane. I was treated very well by the in flight staff. I was offered a meal, but declined because I notice other people's meals and it didn't look too tasty. Once I declined the meal I was offered several snacks for a fee of $9, which I also declined because it wasn't enough to justify the price, but I appreciated the offer. I was really able to rest on the flight because my seating area was very clean and fresh smelling. The only thing that I didn't like about the flight was that I was stuck on the runway for about a hour before take off.

A great experience

from NA

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I had a great experience with Virgin American Airlines. I have availed of the service of Virgin American Airlines many times in the past and every time I have been more than satisfied with the customer service and quality with regards to the food served while on the flight and the hygiene. The cost of the tickets have been very low of these airlines and they have not had many changes with respect their prices as well as flight timings for years. The interior of the planes are spacious and well maintained and the seats are very comfortable. The food served during the journey is excellent in taste. I usually book flight tickets online and the process of ticket booking is smooth and hassle free.

The staff members on the flight are very friendly and handle passenger queries easily and in a polite manner. They often come to the passengers and ask them if they need any drink or any help which is a kind gesture. The restrooms are quite spacious and odor free.

Simply the best

from Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

Point taken for baggage policy. Love the service, my kids love ala carte ordering. Coach on VA, especially during sales, is often a better buy than most others, including sardine can Southwest. I wait and watch for the 1st class specials. Once pampered by VA 1st, you're really not satisfied with anything else.

In-Flight Accommodations
Kids love on screen ordering!

Very good experience.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I have never flown Virgin Airlines before my last trip, and I was a little bit worried that it would not be a very good experience because I had not heard very good things about this airline. My skepticism was quickly dissolved as I boarded the plane and found it to be very clean and spacious. I was not in first class but I was glad to find that I actually had more room in this plane than I have in a lot of other planes that I have flown in. The flight attendant was very kind and helpful and asked every person if they needed anything, like a pillow or a blanket, before the flight even took off. The captain talked to us throughout the flight over the intercom and joked around a little bit and made everyone laugh. The flight attendants were quick to be there and help if you turned on your light and offered drinks and snacks in a very timely manner. Everything about this flight was a lot better than I expected it to be and they definitely changed my opinion on Virgin America Airlines and they will be someone I will choose to fly with again.

Virgin America is the best

from Agoura Hills, CA

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

This airline has made it fun and easy to fly again. The seats, even in coach, are quite comfortable and offer several amenities. After years of being cramped on other domestic carriers, I am now a huge fan of Virgin America and have flown the last three round trips with them. The pricing is quite competitive and even less expensive in certain markets.

Service
Their phone customer service staff was extremely helpful to me recently when I had to hold a booking several nights in a row due to a family emergency. I couldn't have asked for better service.
The staff is friendly and helpful.
The delivery of food to the individual seats is prompt.

In-Flight Accommodations
The in-seat screens allow TV and movie watching and also gives the passenger the ability to order food service at any time during the flight. Incidentally, the food is varied, fresh and quite good. The seats seem to be wider and further spaced than on other domestic carriers. The planes are new and quite clean.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

My favorite airline to travel with.

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I really enjoy flying with this airline. Simply put, the seats are comfortable and spacious. You can also charge your computer and other devices via a plug on the bottom of every seat. The food service is similar to that of other airlines, so expect the usual complementary bag of cookies with a can of soda. Like many other airlines, Virgin America lets you check in and your bags online, which saves a lot of time.

Service
The service is great, the flight attendants are nice and friendly.

In-Flight Accommodations
Every seat has its own satellite t.v which features a wide variety of channels, including ESPN, TBS and CNN, and best of all, they're all free. I found this particularly useful when flying from coast to coast. Its international partner, Virgin Atlantic also features this service. Movies will cost you though, but the prices are relatively low, and library is pretty big, and features newly released films.