Other Allergy & Sinus Medicines:

Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray

Pros

Cons

VICKS SINEX ROCKS!

I have always been totally closed off to the idea of trying nasal sprays because in my mind they were going to burn like heck and cause major drainage down the back of my throat, so I have always steered clear of them. Then this winter I had pretty much my worse cold ever that would just not go away and after days of not being able to sleep because I couldn't breathe and having tried ever other medicine on the planet I gave in and decided I would try anything at this point. First I was pleasantly surprised that it did not burn at all when I sprayed into my nose and second I did not have any horrible drainage going on. Score one for Vicks already! Then the real magic happened! I could breathe...almost instantly! Nothing else had even broke or touched this congestion for over a week and all the sudden I could breathe! I am  only mad at myself that I wasted this much of my life not using this nasal spray! This is an all time favorite for me now!

Sinex gives short-lived relief and long lasting addiction

My chronic rhinitis (heavy duty allergies) were triggered by the Northridge, Calif earthquake in 1994 (I lived next to an open field and the dust and mold created from the quake triggered my allergies).  I tried so many sinus relief products, you could say I'm an expert on 85% of the items that are OTC and prescription. I tried Sinex shortly after the quake and I really liked how it started to relieve the congestion and sneezing with the menthol medication.  But the relief was not as long lasting as the advertising states. 12 hour relief? HAH!  More like 2 hour relief.  I ended up using it far too often and I became addicted to it. My dad had even joked and compared me to a drug addicted sniffer because I had to use it quite a lot.  It took me quite a long time to get off it and on prescription medication (Flonase) that controls my stuffiness, congestion, sneezing, etc, for far longer than Sinex ever did. If you are struggling with a cold, I would not hesitate to recommend this, but if you have moderate to severe allergies, do NOT go near this. It most likely will not work for you.

Vicks Sinex is great.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I have tried a ton of different nasal sprays, and the Vicks Sinex is great! Vicks products never let me down.

Vicks Sinex is meant to relieve nasal congestion, and get rid of sinus congestion/pressure. It's also meant to relieve symptoms due to allergies.

The only main active ingredient is oxymetazoline HTC which is a nasal decongestant.

I've found that it gets rid of my nasal congestion for almost the whole day, and leaves my nose feeling refreshed and less irritated. It does what it says, works for 12 hours or more. The Vicks Sinex does not sting or burn my nose either when I use it, which is a plus. I like that I only really have to use it once or twice a day, because it lasts for a really long time. Sometimes I forget to retake medicines and sprays and then my symptoms get terrible, but this gives long term relief. It gets rid of congestion without making it drip down your throat, and it's not messy either. I also find myself not sneezing at all.

I like to use it when my allergies are bad but I also like to use it when I have a cold because it works great for either.

This is a very effective nose spray. I find that it starts working immediately, and leaves me without any nasal congestion for the full twelve hours or even more. It doesn't irritate my nose either. It makes it easier to blow my nose, and get rid of mucus. I feel since I don't have that much congestion that I don't have sinus pressure and headaches anymore.

It's very easy to use. Just use as you would any other kind of nasal spray. Spray it once or twice into each nostril, and breathe in deeply.

Immediacy
I find that it works fast. I get almost immediate relief, and it gives me relief for quite a long time. If I'm very stuffed up it can take a few minutes to work, but it's still faster then other medicines and sprays.

Opens your airways.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I have used Sinex for many years whenever I have a really bad cold and am having trouble breathing. The active ingredients in it are by far the best for a nasal spray that works as a great decongestant and make you be able to breath in again. This is highly addictive though, that is the biggest problem that I have with it. There have been many studies done to back this up and show that it is a product that you can become addicted to and feel that you need it. I try to limit my use of this to when I am in a lot of need for it and having a really hard time breathing. This kind of burns when you put it in your nose and inhale, it is very cold and then gives a warm and burning sensation for a few seconds, but then it pretty much immediately opens up your nose and airways. I cough so much less at night if I use this when I am sick before I go to bed, it makes it easy to be able to sleep all night and not have to wake up to coughing spells and congestion.

Vicks 12 hour nasal spray

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I love nasal sprays and dealing with allergies I use a lot of them. I really like Vicks twelve hour nasal spray, it's effective and I don't have to constantly spray it in my nose. It seems to coat my nasal passages after I spray it, I do not have that burning sensation that a lot of sprays give me. One squirt in each nostril and within a minute I am breathing freely. I use it mainly at night when my congestion is at it's worst and my nasal passages stay clear the whole night.

Works very well at relieving nasal congestion quickly and keeping it away for quite a long time. I can start breathing in less than a minute when I use this stuff.

Very easy to use, just squirt a spray or two in each nostril and breathe in so it does not drip everywhere. It helps if you hold the opposite nostril down.

Immediacy
Works very quickly, usually in less than a minute. It make take slightly longer if I am so stuffed up I cannot breathe in at all.

Not a happy customer

from Nesconset,ny

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I'm sorry to say because I am usually a fan of Vicks, but this time it's a no deal for me. I have allergies as it is, and when I got sick on top of it and had a bad cold, my allergy medicine was not helping my congestion. So I went to the pharmacy and looked through about ten different nasal sprays until I seen this one. It looked new and I never tried it before and Vicks I always used since I was little. The first time I tried it, it seemed to open up my airways a little better than it was before. I was kind of disappointed because it didn't provide the immediate relief it said it did and I was not fully able to breathe still. I tried it again and again for the next couple of days and it actually seemed to be working less and not lasting as long. After a few days I gave up and went back to the pharmacy to get something different. I was surprised because they usually are a brand with good products, but I don't think this one was good. Sorry but I wouldn't recommend.

Good Short Term Relief

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I have severe seasonal allergies and have tried virtually everything to alleviate them when my doctor mentioned a decongestant spray. He suggested I try a more mild over the counter version and switching to a prescription version only if needed. So, I picked up a box of Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray on my way home.

I gave this a try and was impressed with the quick relief it provided from my stuffy nose but I didn't really like how it didn't last. It's supposed to last 12 hours, but I found myself becoming stuffed up again mere hours later.

I also did not like having to stick the little bottle up my nose. It's enough that stuff was already coming out of it, I didn't feel like I needed to add anything to it.

Overall, this does work well in the short term, but for seasonal allergy sufferers this is not a good long term solution. It just is not long lasting enough to provide effective relief for the entire day.

Doesn't do the job

from Garden City, NY

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I had high hopes for this product, but was let down. As someone who gets frequent congestion and sinus issues throughout the year, I was looking for a product that would keep me from having to go to the doctor every six weeks. While I didn't expect Vicks to be prescription strength, as it is over the counter, it didn't come close to the effectiveness of Nasonex or Flonase.

After trying it out for a week, I saw little in the way of results. It alleviated the congestion in my nose ever so slightly, but did absolutely nothing for the sinus pressure I had. I won't be using this product again.

It provides a little bit of decongestant your sinuses, but not much at all. Also, it certainly does not last 12 hours. Within an hour of taking the dosage, I was back to being completely clogged up again.

Immediacy
Also scores fair on this front. It doesn't work that well to begin with, but it also takes a good 5 minutes before you start feeling any difference.

• Immediacy:

Instant relief but be cautious

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I was recently having a very difficult time combatting my chronic nasal congestion and sinus issues. Knowing that the seasonal allergies were kicking into gear, I needed something to give me some instant relief so I could stop taking so many pills. This nasal spray gave me instant relief. Within minutes I could breathe better and my nasal passages seemed less swollen. However, as I used this more throughout the week, my nose began to get a burning sensation after I would use the spray. Reading more carefully about nasal sprays, I realized you are not to use them for more than three consecutive days. Doing so can lead to inflammation and the return of congestion. However, when used correctly they do have great results. I also want to caution users that when you lay down and spray you may get a burning sensation down the throat with a slightly salty after taste. I simply used the nasal spray in the upright position.

Instant relief of my worst nasal congestion. I loved that this had the cooling effect of Vicks as well.

The spray worked very well. Two sprays in each nostril gave me instant relief. Just be cautious with overuse. It can lead to more congestion and some burning sensations.

Immediacy
Literally within minutes I had complete relief from my nasal congestion. I was able to breathe easier and I was able to taste and smell food again.

Skip the Sinex!

from Stoughton, Wi

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I have suffered with sinus pressure and pain for many years. The problem seems to get worse as I age. I have tried many different nasal sprays to help alleviate the pain, but have had little relief!

The Sinex 12 hour decongestant nasal spray is worthless!! I felt absolutely no relief from my sinus pain while using this product.

The most frustrating thing about this nasal spray is how difficult it is to use. I assume the purpose of a nasal spray is to actually spray the product into your nasal passages thus opening up your sinus and providing relief from sinus pressure. I attempted to follow the directions on the bottle but was unsuccessful. The bottle was difficult to squeeze and even when I was able to shoot some of the spray up my nose, it immediately dripped right back out. I even attempted to tip my head back in an effort to keep the product in my nose, but then it just went straight down my throat!

Immediacy
I actually think the Vicks Sinex spray made my sinus problems worse. After using the product, I instantly had a terrible headache and I felt absolutely no relief from my sinus congestion and pressure! I would never recommend the Sinex spray to anyone! I found much more relief from sinus problems using a simple saline solution.

Leaves Me Breathing Easy

from Virginia

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

My experience with Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant nasal spray happened by accident when my husband bought this instead of my normal nasal spray. I was suffering with allergies/cold combination and could barely breath through my nose. When my husband come home with the wrong spray I was hesitant to try it. I ended up trying it, I sprayed 2 pumps in each nostril and instantly felt a cool sensation along with a menthol scent. It was actually a breath of fresh air because I was able to breath within a minute, and taste food again within 5 minutes. I told my husband I was glad he wasn't paying attention on this trip and bought me the wrong product because it was well worth the mistake. I've tried many decongestant products and this spray is in a family of its own. It's different and adds moisture and the Vicks menthol opened my nose right up and worked for at least 12 hours. Since accidentally trying this product, I prefer this over the other nasal decongestants because of the cool menthol sensation that helps relieve a stuffy nose.

Works within seconds to a minute to relieve a stuffy nose.

Spray into the nose and inhale.

Works very fast!

• Immediacy:

Finally, a product that works!

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray:

I think this is the best nasal spray available, and I've tried many. I have severe allergies during the spring and summer months due to the changing weather. I have tried nasal sprays, allergy pills, decongestant pills, but nothing has been as effective as Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray. With just one spray up each nostril, I can instantly breath through my nose again. The spray is so fine that I can hardly feel it going in my nose, which makes me more likely to use it. The relief lasts for hours and works great at keeping my nostrils clear, which gets me back to feeling normal again. I spray some up each nostril before I go to bed at night and I have no issues waking up due to congestion. I also turn to Vicks Sinex when I have a cold or sinus infection. It's a well-rounded product that basically defeats any type of issue I have ever had with my nose.

It works instantly on my nose and lasts for hours. For such a low price, this product works great.