3.5
Other Travel Websites:
VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner)

VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner)

3.5

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Orlando Vacation Rental: VRBO worked for us!

The last two times we went to Disneyworld, we rented a house from *Vacation Rental by Owner Online Service* or *VRBO*. I had heard about the site from CyndiA, and thought I'd try them. We had such a great experience with them, we not only used them the next time we went to Florida but also when we went back East.

One of the main reasons I was looking at renting a house over staying in a hotel is that there would be seven of us. Most hotels hold four and a few up to six but it is very hard to find one that will take seven. This means we have to get two rooms, doubling our hotel cost.

The other reason was that with a house, we would have **full kitchen access** allowing us to cook our own meals. This is great for us because we have a variety of eaters from vegetarian to no red meat to dairy sensitive to downright fussy! Therefore, it isn't always the easiest thing to find restaurants that please everyone. Add in the advantage of not eating out every breakfast, lunch and dinner and it was a great option for us.

I was pleased to see that not only were there many choices available in the Orlando area but there were plenty of homes with 4-6 bedrooms. They offer a one-night rate as well as weekly rates. Some of the places have a 5-night minimum, others a 7 night.

I quickly found a few places and after some discussion, agreed on one. I checked for availability and dropped a note to the owners. They also list the owner's phone if you prefer to call. I wanted to check on the price - to get a final price after taxes and pool heating. I received a prompt reply.

I then contacted the owner again to and arranged payment: which included a $500 refundable deposit. She then sent me an email with the property address, the code to get the key and the directions from the airport. A quick stop at map quest and I was set!

**Why VRBO Was A Great Choice**

I really like *VRBO* for a number of reasons. First off, I appreciate getting to see pictures of the place. For the house that we rented, we were able to see a picture of the front of the house, the living room, the kitchen, the master bedroom, one of the bedrooms and the pool area. The owners were happy to supply additional pictures if we needed them. I am happy to say, the pictures were accurate and there were no surprises after arrival.

I also like the fact that there is a competition on the site. With so many houses to choose from, the owners have marked them down (or offered extras such as Internet, car rental etc) to get you to choose theirs. It really is a renters market there and that is an always a nice bonus.

We got a **four bedroom, 1,800 sq foot house**: a large master and three smaller ones, two of which had two beds each. If we had needed to sleep more, there was a double size pull out couch. There were televisions (with VCRs) in the master bedroom, the family room and one of the smaller bedrooms. The kitchen was nice size and fully equipped other than lack of any paper towels. The nicest part of the house would have to be the **pool.** We had a private, fenced pool off the family room. It had a safety lock and alarm, which was a nice safety feature. Since it was December, we had paid the optional $100 to heat the pool.

Another nice thing was that we were able to get into the house much earlier than we would have had we been staying in a hotel. By flying on the red-eye, we were at the Orlando airport before 7:00AM. We were able to pick up our rental car and head straight to the house, pick up the keys and settle in.

***Kristy's final Viewpoint:***

*We ended up paying less than $90 a night for a fully furnished, four bedrooms, 3-bath house with a private pool. It was a lot less than we would have paid for two hotel rooms with an overcrowded pool. We were less than 5 miles from Disneyworld and enjoyed being away from all the crowds at the end of the day. *

*Before you take your next trip - anywhere - check out VRBO and see what they have available. You might end up saving yourself a lot of money.*

Can be decent, but CAVEAT EMPTOR

VRBO is a cool site for finding private homes, villas, apartments for rent. You can save some serious coinage by using them well.

Gotta be careful though. You're dealing with...Read complete review

Gotta be careful though. You're dealing with private owners, NOT with a company. Build the trust relationship. Sometimes photos are not accurate. Sometimes "gotchas" are not disclosed (like 10 miles from town on a mule track that can't be navigated by anything other than a dirt bike). Read carefully, talk to the owners if you can, ask for more pictures...

The other thing to be aware of is prices. Sometimes the properties are a good deal...sometimes an owner overvalues his place and prices it beyond what it should be. Do your homework to make sure YOU get a good deal!

Wonderful time in Divide Colorado for Thanksgiving

from Aurora, CO

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

We stayed in #313082 for the Thanksgiving holiday with family. The accommodations were excellent. We had 5 adults and a toddler. All bedrooms were plenty roomy and the beds were comfortable with plenty of warm blankets. Kitchen was large with enough space that we all took a hand in cooking the feast. The large lot had room to tromp in the newly arrived snowfall and a buck with his doe and baby wondered by one morning. I will definitely stay again.

Love this place!

from Buda, Texas

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

Loved our stay #4050506! Great two story with all the amenities and an enclosed parking area and pool with a huge deck! The house was wonderfully appointed with all the things you would want to make it feel just like being home! Pernell and Debbie were so attentive and Debbie even took me to see another property around the block from this one, #4729246, which is just as beautiful! We have already booked for next year!!

this company has completely fallen apart

from los angeles ca

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

i use vacation rentals, home away and verb anti were purchased last year by expedia; since their service is terrible; the advertising prices have more than doubled, they are ripping off the renters and home owners

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Stay away

from Pennsylvania

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

As a property owner I used this service and it was RIDICULOUSLY expensive!! The fees were insane and their payment schedule is unreasonable. I would stay clear of this service when there is air bnb to use!

Home away from Home

from Alabama

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

Thought to ponder when you rent someone's place. Please be respectful of the property, owners try to keep their prices down so that it rents more frequently. But when someone comes in and destroys brand new furniture, towels, walls, burns pots and pans,etc. The cost to rent goes up because the cost to replace and repair is high. By using and abusing you are limiting your choices, the owners that want to keep their places nice quit renting them out and the only ones you will get to rent will be the trashed ones. So if you care replace and own it when you break something, the choice is yours. This owner quit renting after just 4 months.

Low exposure since they were bought out

from St Pete beach fl

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

Since Expedia bought them out they have changed their platform. The new platform does not benefit us as a property owner nor our guests. They add on extra fees if you book thru them and if you don't book thru them then your listing is lower on the list of properties. When you type in our location they include surrounding towns which increase the listings from 1k to 3k. We've fewer inquiries since the take over and are looking at advertising elsewhere

Dealing with the VRBO agents has been the most frustrating

from Yrok PA

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

I tried to make reservations and the agents I had to deal with where totally incompetent and argumentative, let alone the communication problem.

Highly disappointed

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

TL;DR - I was essentially scammed by a renter who was violating VRBO policies (unbeknownst to me) and VRBO will not do a thing. Stick to the other well known competitor to VRBO.

Long version - I booked a stay for one night with a well reviewed renter. The renter offered to save me the "service fee" if I sent a check in and booked over the phone. After a quick phone call with the pleasant renter I sent my check and received booking confirmation immediately through VRBO. I was in.

A week before my stay it was apparent that a hurricane was headed right for where I was staying. I emailed the renter about 5 days before my stay and heard nothing back. The city was ordered to evacuate the next day (4 days before my stay). My check was cashed the following day (3 days before my stay) with still no word from the renter.

The hurricane hit and the next day the renter called me to tell me the property was under water and per the news I would not even be able to get to the city because of flooding. She asked if I was going to make it; of course I said no. She then asked if I had travel insurance, to which I said I had whatever she booked me for as she did all of the booking over the phone. It turns out, she never booked, nor offered me travel insurance and said I was out of luck and would not get a full refund (she did refund me the tax on the stay).

I reached out to VRBO to no avail. They told me they "marked" the renter's account but her listings show no proof of this. I wrote a review of my experience under the listing only to have it removed as I did not actually stay there. VRBO deemed the review of my experience / scam as ineligible, even though I was a paying customer and THEY KNOW that the renter violated VRBO policies.

Lastly, I kindly asked customer support where I could write a review of my VRBO experience. They said nowhere, which was obviously a lie if you're reading this. Stay away from VRBO, they will not back you when their clients breaking their policies

VRBO Turns back on homeowners

from Joshua Tree CA

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

I can't say how disappointed I am with VRBO. We have a property listed with them and after having had damage done to our property by one of their members they denied funds set aside for the purpose of paying for damages. They also charged us transaction fees for the processing the claim. The renter took responsibility for part of the damage and VRBO still wouldn't help us to retrieve part of the deposit to cover it. We had pictures, invoices all supporting our claim. She had no proof of her denial. Yet we are the ones that pay for the damage.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

We Dare You to Publish This Negative {But HONEST} Review!

from Gatlinburg, TN

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

HomeAway is self-destructing. Their latest business plan is just plain stupid and further compounds their declining popularity. As a customer of theirs for almost two decades, they removed one of our annual PAID subscription listings {with no warning} several days ago because we had included our Web site link on it. This was perfectly acceptable {and encouraged} months ago when we renewed the listing. We immediately deleted the link {which THEY could have easily done}, but they refuse to reinstate the listing after several requests. Therefore, we {of course} contacted our credit card company this week and disputed the charge. We are now voluntarily deactivating ALL of our property listings with them. Most of our current inquiries come from Airbnb, etc., anyway, that don't have a history of their online payment system getting hacked like HomeAway {Google it}.

We property owners need to revolt and boycott HomeAway's virtual monopoly of the vacation rental industry. Let's immediately transfer all our advertising dollars to other sites that actually have "customer service", and that don't force their loyal owners to use an unpopular/unsafe/expensive/confusing payment method! Also, we need to utilize social media every chance we get to comment about this.