3.8
Other Travel Websites:
VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner)

VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner)

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:

Orlando Vacation Rental: VRBO worked for us!

The last two times we went to Disneyworld, we rented a house from *Vacation Rental by Owner Online Service* or *VRBO*. I had heard about the site from CyndiA, and thought I'd try them. We had such a great experience with them, we not only used them the next time we went to Florida but also when we went back East.

One of the main reasons I was looking at renting a house over staying in a hotel is that there would be seven of us. Most hotels hold four and a few up to six but it is very hard to find one that will take seven. This means we have to get two rooms, doubling our hotel cost.

The other reason was that with a house, we would have **full kitchen access** allowing us to cook our own meals. This is great for us because we have a variety of eaters from vegetarian to no red meat to dairy sensitive to downright fussy! Therefore, it isn't always the easiest thing to find restaurants that please everyone. Add in the advantage of not eating out every breakfast, lunch and dinner and it was a great option for us.

I was pleased to see that not only were there many choices available in the Orlando area but there were plenty of homes with 4-6 bedrooms. They offer a one-night rate as well as weekly rates. Some of the places have a 5-night minimum, others a 7 night.

I quickly found a few places and after some discussion, agreed on one. I checked for availability and dropped a note to the owners. They also list the owner's phone if you prefer to call. I wanted to check on the price - to get a final price after taxes and pool heating. I received a prompt reply.

I then contacted the owner again to and arranged payment: which included a $500 refundable deposit. She then sent me an email with the property address, the code to get the key and the directions from the airport. A quick stop at map quest and I was set!

**Why VRBO Was A Great Choice**

I really like *VRBO* for a number of reasons. First off, I appreciate getting to see pictures of the place. For the house that we rented, we were able to see a picture of the front of the house, the living room, the kitchen, the master bedroom, one of the bedrooms and the pool area. The owners were happy to supply additional pictures if we needed them. I am happy to say, the pictures were accurate and there were no surprises after arrival.

I also like the fact that there is a competition on the site. With so many houses to choose from, the owners have marked them down (or offered extras such as Internet, car rental etc) to get you to choose theirs. It really is a renters market there and that is an always a nice bonus.

We got a **four bedroom, 1,800 sq foot house**: a large master and three smaller ones, two of which had two beds each. If we had needed to sleep more, there was a double size pull out couch. There were televisions (with VCRs) in the master bedroom, the family room and one of the smaller bedrooms. The kitchen was nice size and fully equipped other than lack of any paper towels. The nicest part of the house would have to be the **pool.** We had a private, fenced pool off the family room. It had a safety lock and alarm, which was a nice safety feature. Since it was December, we had paid the optional $100 to heat the pool.

Another nice thing was that we were able to get into the house much earlier than we would have had we been staying in a hotel. By flying on the red-eye, we were at the Orlando airport before 7:00AM. We were able to pick up our rental car and head straight to the house, pick up the keys and settle in.

***Kristy's final Viewpoint:***

*We ended up paying less than $90 a night for a fully furnished, four bedrooms, 3-bath house with a private pool. It was a lot less than we would have paid for two hotel rooms with an overcrowded pool. We were less than 5 miles from Disneyworld and enjoyed being away from all the crowds at the end of the day. *

*Before you take your next trip - anywhere - check out VRBO and see what they have available. You might end up saving yourself a lot of money.*

Can be decent, but CAVEAT EMPTOR

VRBO is a cool site for finding private homes, villas, apartments for rent. You can save some serious coinage by using them well.

Gotta be careful though. You're dealing with...Read complete review

Gotta be careful though. You're dealing with private owners, NOT with a company. Build the trust relationship. Sometimes photos are not accurate. Sometimes "gotchas" are not disclosed (like 10 miles from town on a mule track that can't be navigated by anything other than a dirt bike). Read carefully, talk to the owners if you can, ask for more pictures...

The other thing to be aware of is prices. Sometimes the properties are a good deal...sometimes an owner overvalues his place and prices it beyond what it should be. Do your homework to make sure YOU get a good deal!

VRBO Turns back on homeowners

from Joshua Tree CA

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

I can't say how disappointed I am with VRBO. We have a property listed with them and after having had damage done to our property by one of their members they denied funds set aside for the purpose of paying for damages. They also charged us transaction fees for the processing the claim. The renter took responsibility for part of the damage and VRBO still wouldn't help us to retrieve part of the deposit to cover it. We had pictures, invoices all supporting our claim. She had no proof of her denial. Yet we are the ones that pay for the damage.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

We Dare You to Publish This Negative {But HONEST} Review!

from Gatlinburg, TN

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

HomeAway is self-destructing. Their latest business plan is just plain stupid and further compounds their declining popularity. As a customer of theirs for almost two decades, they removed one of our annual PAID subscription listings {with no warning} several days ago because we had included our Web site link on it. This was perfectly acceptable {and encouraged} months ago when we renewed the listing. We immediately deleted the link {which THEY could have easily done}, but they refuse to reinstate the listing after several requests. Therefore, we {of course} contacted our credit card company this week and disputed the charge. We are now voluntarily deactivating ALL of our property listings with them. Most of our current inquiries come from Airbnb, etc., anyway, that don't have a history of their online payment system getting hacked like HomeAway {Google it}.

We property owners need to revolt and boycott HomeAway's virtual monopoly of the vacation rental industry. Let's immediately transfer all our advertising dollars to other sites that actually have "customer service", and that don't force their loyal owners to use an unpopular/unsafe/expensive/confusing payment method! Also, we need to utilize social media every chance we get to comment about this.

BEWARE BEWARE

from VIRGINIA

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

We rented property #152591 owned by Ryan and Barbara Nelson and it was dirty and falling apart in fact most of our family would not even stay the second and third days. The owners did not want to see the pictures we took and then rated us as bad tenants when we left it cleaner then when we got there. I was afraid they might be like that based on how the house looked when we got their so I also took pictures when we left.
BEWARE BEWARE

HORRIBLE!....RUN

from chicago, IL

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

I booked a place with them months before my dates. I contacted them multiple times to confirm I was all good and confirmed and they said yes...multiple times. I called a few days before my trip because I did not receive any instructions on moving in. I had to call VRBO to get the property manager number. They told me they were having issues with getting people out of their property and they were in court with them. Why am I finding this out days before my trip to Chicago where everything is booked including hotels because it's the summer and a big conference was going on there. You know what the property manager said to me, "well just find another place." CRAZY! I book with you all months ahead and confirm with you all multiple times and you back out on me days before my trip and I had to call you to confirm this and the best thing you tell me is "find another place!" RUN Also I called them multiple times afterwards and they just stop answering my phone calls. RUN don't book with this property manager for any property and just dont book with VRBO all together. Go with Air BNB or stay with a friend. PS. I never write reviews but my experience was soooo bad I had to. And when talking with VRBO they said the same thing "book another place." No other place had that price, location, nothing it was days before my trip. RUN It was property 816813.

Infested Condo, Rude Company

from WI

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

Upon arriving at this property, it was apparent that is was not cleaned properly. The floors were dirty, there were coffee grinds in the coffee pot and the bathrooms were not properly maintained. Even though this was the case, we were not going to let that ruin our vacation as we are an easy going family. However, the cockroaches we continuously found in the condo did spoil the vacation. To be honest, I had never seen a cockroach but once it was confirmed, I was disgusted. We had to call the rental office multiple times to get someone out to the condo. We found more roaches and had to call back again twice to get a professional out to the property. We spent the last day of our vacation cleaning everything we brought and putting it in large zip lock bags so that we didn't bring the infestation home! We even found roaches in the sheets! I left some of my belongings in the condo as an extra precaution. Once I returned home, I sent VRBO an email explaining my disappointment. The response I received was alarming. They were defensive and unapologetic. They stated that the tenants following my stay sent in a "positive review and asked to stay again." This is next to impossible as we have not yet been back a week and it is a 7 night minimum stay. This property has no reviews. The most shocking part of the response was that VRBO threatened to sue me if I wrote a negative review. I responded saying I would post the truth, negative or positive. The one positive thing I will say about this property is that they were nicely stocked with beach chairs and toys for the kids as you would expect. The storage unit is in a convenient location. Needless to say, we will not be using VRBO again. I have never written a negative review as I try to give the benefit of the doubt in all cases, but once it was clear that VRBO does not value their vacationer's experience, I felt I had to… Unfortunately…

I am amazed at the wonderful quality of our guests from vrbo

from Ahwahnee, California

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

We have been in the vrbo.com/HomeAway family for almost three years and the quality and down-home gregariousness of the people renting our estate has been fantastic. People come you Yosemite Nat'l Park over and over bringing kids, grandparents, friends and full family reunions, including low cost weddings in unique clean settings.
I interview everyone prior to arrival at the estate and can take on-line payment but do have the pre-booking interview requirement.
This has helped me feel comfortable with everyone that has stayed at the estate. All are welcome and you can bring your dogs and horses at no extra charge. I love this site. They truly are a home away from home. Welcome Welcome Welcome

Never Again VRBO!!!!!

from PA

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

This past summer we had the worst condo rental experience ever. After attempting to contact the owner multiple times and allowing them plenty of time to respond (6 months), I finally decided to share our experience in hopes others could avoid. However VRBO refused to publish my review stating it "was not relevant to the property being reviewed". Really?!?!?!?!? We stayed at the property and I captured our experience with accuracy, so help me understand why it's not relevant. I suppose it's, because I didn't provide a 4 or 5 star rating. Obvious proof that VRBO is as shady and dishonest as the owner we rented from. I can guarantee we will never rent from this owner and use VRBO again.

Great for getting vacation rentals at good prices.

from Florida

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

I was enlisted to help my boss book a vacation rental for her parents who were looking to visit. I searched high and low for places to find a good deal before finding VRBO and falling in love with the website.

Writhin a few seconds I had clicked through to get to the list of what I was looking for. Soon after that I had found exactly what I was looking for.

The website is designed beautifully, it's super well organized and it is easy to use.

It took a mere matter of minutes to get the perfect rental for what we were looking for, we ended up saving money and got exactly what we wanted. I will be using them the next time that I need a rental property.

Definitely one of the easiest websites to Use and by far the easiest travel website to use.

Features
The website has a lot of features and a lot of different options for you to narrow your search down.

Customer Service
I called customer service because I had a question. And they answered it really quickly and well.

HORRIBLE

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

They do not verify their renters so home owners like me feel protected and know who is renting there homes. I ended up getting a meth lab set up at my home. I do not use them anymore.

Website for owners difficult to navigate.

Customer Service
Either I or VRBO short changed a customer I refunded the full amount too, but VRBO left me with only one option. Stuck with the $25, since they had no way of doing the RIGHT thing. I don't use VRBO anymore.

Great Site to Find a Home Away From Home

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner):

I found VRBO when I was researching vacation ideas. When I found this site, it didn't look like a travel site. It didn't have a lot of pizazz that most travel sites have, and to tell the truth I almost clicked right off the site. Until I saw the words "Part of the HomeAway Family". So, I decided to check it out. To my surprise it had a lot of great vacation homes and great deals in all different price ranges, as this is vacation homes by owners, that's where they get the name VHBO. There is a large variety of vacation dwellings to choose from.

It's easy to find just what you're looking for in a vacation property. You can book a resort vacation or do as I did and book actual home to stay in while on vacation. You can book anything from a house, condo, apartment, just about everything is on this site to choose from. From what I can see however, there is some dishonesty in what you may be getting, so you have to be careful. People are pretty dishonest when they want you to buy or rent something, check out all the reviews and know what your getting into. It's pretty much your responsibility to do all the work, they just advertise. The good part is if you have a second home in a great location you can use this site to advertise your own vacation property.

Features
They don't have features like other travel sites. It's just a site that you search for vacation property from private owners.