Other Misc. Eye Makeups:
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades

Pros

Cons

Eyeshadow loves this product and you will too!

Well, I have a wonderful product to recommend. I'm writing this review after wearing my eyeshadow for 6 hours  and it still looks terrific!  It's because I'm using Urban Decay's fabulous Eyeshadow Primer Potion. Normally, I wouldn't even think to buy a primer for my eyeshadow---didn't even know that they existed. But, I was intrigued by the "promises" of this product. It primes your eyelids to  keep your eyeshadow intact most of the day!  It specifically keeps your eyeshadow on your lids whether it be  shiny, matte, sparkly, or whatever powder shadow you utilize. Really, must one need such a great performing product to keep eyeshadow on your lids almost forever?   My answer is:  of course, absolutely, yes, why not; or whatever you wish to add. It applies easily with a wand which is inserted in a tube. The product is a creamy, thick "potion" which you sparingly smooth on your eyelids. It vanishes quickly and the fun begins. Get ready girls to shop, exercise, walk, do housework, or whatever. If you want just a little eyeshadow  on and don't wish to look in a mirror all day for a touch-up, look no further.  Just remember that when you look at the eyeshadow on your eyelids hours later and it looks great--I told you so.

Hard to evaluate effectiveness

It's hard to really tell if this product works as an eyeshadow primer. Why? Because the results seem to be related to the weather (heat, humidity) AND the type of eye shadow you are using. I like the idea of a primer for the eyelids and upper eye, especially if it truly does "prime" the area to allow shadow to be applied more evenly and to stay that way during the day. However, the results, from my personal experience, seem to suggest that the product's effectiveness varies tremendously. It worked well for me in the dead of winter, when it's cold. It kept my eyelids smooth and silky and that made it easier to apply shadow (powder) without it drying out. But when it is hot or humid, I think using it actually makes the powder less able to "stick" to your eyes.

The biggest issue for me is how, using the same brush, but different brands of eyeshadow powder, you get very different looking results when applying the powder. Sometimes, smooth and even. OTher times, streaky. Is it the primer? Is it the eyeshadow? Who knows? Hence, not sure if this expensive primer (which gets used up very quickly) is worth the money.

As for the applicator: It's a waste. A simple, straight wand would be more helpful. And you still need your fingers to smooth the liquid over your eye. IT may be hygienic to have the applicator, but it's a two-step application process.

Great primer

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

I love this primer most days. It goes on smoothly (which is so important for your eyes) and absorbs quickly so you can put on your eye makeup right away. The only thing I don't love is that it doesn't work as well when it's hot and humid outside. Obviously, no makeup works as well when it's humid, but this seems to crease quite a bit.

Fun Primers that Are Worth the Money

from wilkes barre, PA

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

I normally do not spend a lot of money on eye makeup, but this is where I make the exception. I have used Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in the original and the Sin colors. So far, my favorite is Sin, it has a nice shine to it and is a little silver/bronze. If I want my eye shadow to be true to the color, I use the Original shade of Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, but if I want to jazz things up a bit I use the Sin, it makes my eye shadow have l little bit more shimmer to it and makes for a great nighttime look. Some times I even use it for just an eye shadow when I want a natural look or I use it to highlight my cheekbones. They make my eye shadow last the entire day or night and I love them!

Worth it

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

This product is wonderful for making your eyeshadow color pop! It goes on very fine, and does not leave much color, especially if you get the skin color shade. You then apply your eyeshadow and it makes the color more dramatic, and helps it stay on all day. Definitely worth the money. It also lasts a long time!

Urban Decay shadow primer is AWESOME!

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

I have tried other cheaper products and there is a reason they are so cheap…they don't work! This product delivers on every claim! I must have very greasy eyelids since my shadows always creased before I bought this product. This makes my shadow stay all day long!

Perfection.

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

This eye shadow primer is possibly one of the best out there. It keeps your eyes in tact completely. I like to use this product especially with the urban decay naked palette. I would recommend this to any one looking to find something that can keep you eye shadow in place.

Overall

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

I'm giving this a 5 because I really go back and forth between hating it and loving it. I feel like it's a little hard to get the application JUST right- if you don't smooth it out perfectly it forms little creases and bumps which ain't cute. The texture is almost like concealer; pretty thick. It generally holds my shadow for a long-lasting day, but there have been days when I've ended up with raccoon eyes. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

Mediocre at best

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

I know a lot of people rave about Urban Decay's Primer Potion, but as much as I love Urban Decay, I think there are better eye primers out there. I do use this primer on a regular basis, but that is because I am still trying to use up samples I have gotten with my other purchases. Primer Potion does not give me great color payout with my eyeshadows. I find that it does an okay job of covering up discolored spots on my eyelid to give me a more even application, but I don't get as much color enhancement as I do from primers such as Nyx's, which are also much cheaper. I should add that I have very fair skin. I don't know if this makes a difference when using this product or not. I enjoy the packaging that the product comes in. It is very girlish and it really does resemble a potion bottle. It reminds me of being little and playing dress up with little girl makeup. I think that the price is a bit high, only because this product doesn't do everything I would like it to do.

Love this stuff!

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

Every makeup junkie should own this! It is a little expensive but I have tried low end primers and they just don't compare to urban decay primer potion. I know I can wear my eyeshadow all day and it won't crease or fade on me, if you haven't tried this I highly suggest you do.

Great product

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

I always use this product before doing smokey eye makeup and it prevents my makeup from running. The trick is to make sure the primer dries before applying any eye shadow. I've only used the purple bottle because I'm pretty fair and it doesn't have any shimmer to interfere with the eye shadow colors.

Helps eye makeup stay on all day

Comments about Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - All Shades:

I love this product because it has worked for me for years to keep eye makeup from fading throughout the day. It also helps to brighten eyeshadow colors, so one can use lower end eyeshadows and they will still look great. The packaging isn't very user friendly, but the product itself lasts a long time, with months of regular use. I recommend this product.