3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

The University of Phoenix Rocks

I had dreamed of going to college for 12 years when I saw a University of Phoenix commercial. I realized that the only thing preventing me from getting a degree was my fear. Fear of getting into debt, fear of what people would think, fear of reaching outside of my comfort zone, fear of not having enough time for school, and the fear of failure. Fear had kept me from pursuing my dream for way too long, and I picked up the phone and requested an information packet. A few weeks later I filled out the application and mailed it in. The day I recieved my acceptance letter is a day that I will never forget. I am currently more than half way to obtaining an Associate of Arts in Business degree. My financial counselor, and my educational counselor have been amazing. I would recommend that anyone who dreams of getting a higher education consider attending the University of Phoenix. The offer both traditional and online classes for those with hectic lifestyles. The University of Phoenix Rocks!

Be careful and aware of what you need

I worked for a university, and one of my many jobs was as an advisor to prospective students. I would take all their transcripts, crunch numbers and give them an idea of time, cost and exact classes needed to obtain their undergrad or graduate degree.I had several students who came in with ***University of Phoenix*** credit.This *is a regionally accredited campus*. That is good. What this means is that the course work taken can be granted, upon departmental review, equivalent credit at another regionally accredited school. HOWEVER, I was never able to get the students any credit from the coursework they took at this school for the following reasons:[1] The students never had their course syllabi or any descriptors of coursework.[2] The campus would never send out descriptors of their courses, so that the coursework could be reviewed and granted equivalency. Calling to speak to administrators directly, I was told that making their specialized, copy-righted course standards and descriptions available to the public was against campus policy.[3] Going through the Arizona State Board of Education, I was assured that the Univ. of Phoenix was regionally accredited (North Central Association), but I would have to contact the school for course descriptors. For my own state, I was able to get any descriptor and all the state standards for courses offered by any of our public campuses directly on-line, and contacting the individual school was usually unnecessary, unless I needed to locate a course descriptor from 25 years ago. Univ of Phoenix wasn't the only school I had trouble with, but it did fall into the category of "diploma mills". I couldn't get any information when the format of a campus was totally electronic classes. Typically this coursework was shoved down the student's throat at exorbitant prices. They did get the work done, however. The schools made sure of that. But what is this worth when no one can check the quality of the coursework itself, nor can those classes be transferred to another regionally accredited campus?Good idea, but in my non-student, administrative experience I would have to say that this program is a total ripoff. I have not spoken to any local employer who would voluntarily speak up in favor of the coursework offered by this campus. In speaking with my students, sometimes the reputation of the school **where** they got their degree(s) was an important part of their resume. The power company, for instance, is well known as preferring to hire from certain engineering schools.

Easy enrollment proceas, easy to navigate.

from Florida

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

University of Phoenix is a well known name when it comes to furthering education, especially when it comes to online schooling. Which is why they were the first school that I looked at and applied to when deciding that I would like to go back to school.

The website is easy to navigate. Which makes the process of getting back into classes and school, that much easier. The application process is simple and easy to do online. Enrollment was a breeze and after being accepted, choosing classes etc was super quick and painless.

The way the online classes are set up makes it enjoyable and easy to participate in them, and stay on top of coursework.

The teachers are friendly and encouraging and make the experience that much better.

I would definitely recommend looking into University of Phoenix if you are wanting to further your education and want to do so online. I took several classes with them and would consider going back and taking more if they had some that I was interested in.

60,000.00

from online

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

I went through this college earned a associates and bachelor in criminal justice. I did not learn anything that I could use to get myself a job. I have to write essays today for jobs. I never get called back. I write essay that never made sense in classes and received A in all my classes. You can make stuff up and still pass with A. I am not a good speller but still passed with A. I went for a test in which they told me to take the classes for I received a 29 percent on it. There was many thing I know nothing about. 60000.00 THOUSAND DOLLARS to not receive a job. I can show people where I went to school at. Many people already know that you do not have to try hard to get a A. I do not think people want to hire people that come out of this university. I would think for 60000.00 I would have learn to write and spell not in my case.

I disliked taking a class from here, horrible communication

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

My experience with University of Pheonix has been horrible. Communication is horrible. I was supposed to get a phone call about required text a week before class starting, I did not. My advisor had called the wrong number, I called him back to call me on the right number and I heard nothing back from him. It landed me not having a book on time. I needed to buy it off of amazon and get it shipped over night because of this, but I could not find the Author or version of the book anywhere on the site. After trying to contact MULTIPLE people I could not get the answer. After dropping the class due to no book, I finally got an email from the teacher from the class before about the book I needed. She said it was written in course materials and I was irresponsible for not reading through it. I read through course materials tons of times or I wouldn’t have tried to contact anyone in the first place, the TITLE of the book is only listed there. There are 3 different types of books with that Title on Amazon. Trust me I was really trying to get this book after paying $1500 on the class. There is no author name or version of the book listed anywhere. Only the ISBN number. Someone told me I could have looked the book up using that. I had no idea what an ISBN number does, why couldn’t ANYbody tell me that when I asked about the book? They say that there’s 24/7 hour help if you have any questions, they couldn’t even tell me this. I sat on the phone with an advisor, he told me the book was supposed to be electronic as it said in the course materials, he then realized the directions in the course was wrong and was misleading, it was not an electronic book. All I have to say is being a first time student here, it was really difficult not getting help from anyone. I read through course materials and did everything I was supposed to. If you have an online teacher, wouldn’t that teacher be in contact with her students everyday? And not wait a week to respond back? That is how you fail a class. Even the fact the ISBN number is on there, I still didn’t know what it was, somebody should have told me about it when I asked about the book MULTIPLE times, they couldn’t even find it themselves, and the fact of getting help a WEEK after dropping the class is ridiculous. Then to call me irresponsible? Wow. I am really upset with this university.

A learning experience.

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

I needed to earn my teaching certificate and masters degree a few years ago and I wanted a program that would allow me to continue teaching. This program seemed to fit the bill. I do wish I had a spent a little more time researching options, instead of just going with the program I had heard the most about. I enjoyed the convenience of University of Phoenix and I did honestly learn a lot. In some ways, I learned more than I did in a normal college setting. I enjoyed the discussions and this helped me to actually learn the material, instead of just cramming for a test. The biggest thing I regret is how expensive this program is. I have a large student loan from this and I have spent years repaying the loan. I do wish I had looked into cheaper degrees. I also did not like how I had to depend on people I did not know to finish some of my assignments. There were a lot of group projects and I sometimes stayed up very late waiting on classmates to finish their portion. Besides the group projects, I loved being able to work on my own time frame. This program allowed me to continue my job and I even had a child during one of my classes. This flexibility was just what I needed.

Class Selection
The selection was fine, but I am not sure what selection other programs offer.

Teaching Quality
Most of my teachers were great and I learned a lot. I did have a few that were pretty bad.

Financial Aid
I don't know much about financial aid, but this seemed like it could have been better.

Accreditation
I did have a little trouble converted the teaching certificate into a certificate for my state. It eventually worked out.

University of Phoenix offers "On Line" Classes

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

This is a accredited school that has met acceptable levels of quality.

Class Selection
On-line classes offer the opportunity to complete education in a chosen area. In the case of the University of Phoenix they offer classes to those that want to finish degrees in many fields, one of such is training to become a nurse. I find that the on-line classes saves time, money, and can be a great alternative if you are returning to the class room.

Teaching Quality
They have on-line help but the key here is not to wait until the last minute to do your work. You do have to be disciplined to do on-line classes. I prefer these classes and like being able to replay something if I missed it.

Financial Aid
Financial aid is available for on line classes just the same as class room instruction. You still have the expense of books etc. and not all classes are available in this manor. Depending on what you are majoring in, will determine what you can do as on-line instruction.

Accreditation
Rules for accreditation are the same for on line classes or classroom. You have to have passing grades. If you are easily distracted, or have a tendency to put things off until the last minute than i don't suggest you take on-line classes. You really have to be a self starter for this type of class.

Don't Waste Your Money or Time

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

If you are looking to do online courses to get a degree and use it to get a career than steer clear of University of Phoenix Online. It is a great place to go if your looking to just take a few expensive classes for the fun of it but nothing more. Most employers look at University of Phoenix Online as a joke. It will not help you get a job, it will hurt you. The classes are easy to register for but very expensive compared to other schools. A lot of schools will not accept the courses as transfer credits. My recommendation would be to stay away from University of Phoenix Online and contact your local college. My local college offered many online courses and actually had an agreement with an out of state university that allowed me to take online classes through them. I lost about $4,000 trying out University of Phoenix and would not recommend others to go there if your trying to further your education.

I am a Phoenix!

from Maquoketa, IA

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

I have been at the University of Phoenix since 2010. I am nearing the end of my Bachelors program. I have learned everything I need to know to start my new career.

Great class selection.

Teaching Quality
The Instructors treat you like people not meal tickets.

Easy to work with.

Accreditation
I have been to other colleges and the University of Phoenix is a wonderful school. The school is accredited.

Online UOP Program

from Ramsey, NJ

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

Excellent for online studies however, tuition expenses should be explained better as to not have students believe they are covered with financial aid without additional commitment. Overall I do feel that I have learned a lot and have received a good understanding of the subjects I enrolled in. I would have liked to continue but the costs are too high for me to do so. I am looking into other online programs that may actually give me more credits as a transfer. Of 64 credits I could only use 34 at UOP!

Good and Bad

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

I decided to give the University of Phoenix online classes a chance a couple of years ago when I was trying to hold down a full time job, and earn my degree at the same time. The program, and courses themselves are easy enough. You have a reasonable amount of time to finish tasks, and you can basically work classes around your schedule instead of the other way around. This worked out extremely well since I was working 50+ hours a week, and was often asked to stay later than my normal shift on several days.
With the University of Phoenix, you get all the tools needed to complete your degree. Professors are usually around to help answer questions, and if not; there are other ways to contact them. Classes are very flexible, and you can always find something that works for you.
The biggest drawback of the University of Phoenix (and other online colleges) is that most employers don't consider them legit colleges. This is a huge pain when you are looking for a job. You will get passed up many times. This wasn't too much of a problem for me because I used my degree to start my own business in graphical design. However my friend did business and had to work hard to get his foot in the door.

Class Selection
Many classes to choose from. You are pretty open in degree choices.

Teaching Quality
Despite what employers think, you are getting a legit lesson in your degree. This is not just a "learn the bare minimum to get you a job" kind of school.

Financial Aid
Financial aid is accepted if you meet the criteria.

Accreditation
You will get a degree if you make it through the proper credentials. However getting an employer to take it seriously is another story.

• Accreditation:

Too expensive but good curriculum

from Evanston, IL

Comments about University of Phoenix - Online Degrees:

I was pursuing a Bachelors degree in Business Administration from the University of Phoenix. The enrollment process was pretty easy and they provided assistance with applying for financial aid, etc. They told me it would cost about X per month. My first big shocker was all of the books /workbooks etc that I needed to buy, and the cost of buying them.
I was pretty much pleased with the classes I took. I felt their methods were new, different and creative in terms of having the students work together in teams even though we were all physically located far away from each other. I really did enjoy taking the classes but then as the first semester came to a close, I received a bill for A LOT of money and the University of Phoenix said I had to pay it off or else I would not be able to continue taking classes. I was pretty unfamiliar with financial aid, student loans, and how to pay for college at that time, and I so badly wanted to go back to school and earn my degree that I did not ask enough questions, or the right questions. The advisor I worked with to enroll painted such a perfect picture of how it would all work out, and in the end even though I only attended less than one semester, I ended up owing over $3000 in Student Loans to Sallie Mae (they add on a ton of interest and collection costs).
I think that these for-profit universities are quite a bad thing. They make it seem so convenient and seem like it will not cost that much and being for-profit, that kind of tells you what they are in it for - the money. I think their quality of education is good, but unless you have money to blow, it is just not worth it.