3.7

3.7

Pros

Cons

• Accreditation:

UniversalClass is the Best Resource on the Internet! No kidding!

I've taking already 8 courses on Universal Class. It is simply one of the best resources for online education available on the Internet. 6 of the courses I took had great video demonstrations of what was being taught. Everything was extraordinarily well-written. This is one of those diamond-in-the-rough gems out there. The courses are still quite affordable, despite their growing popularity, and the wealth of information and the interaction you'll receive with expert people is just not even a remote possibility elsewhere. I've made life-long friends taking their classes! I have the facebook connections to prove it :-)

Here's some stuff I learned along the way, this might be helpful to anyone interested: You can buy a basic course at a discount price. This is like auditing the course. On some of the tougher courses, I recommend this. You can also purchase a course with a Certificate which is available online. Maybe this is confusing for some -- so let me explain as I understand it. If you purchase a course with an online certificate, you get documentation of the course you completed that you can share with others. It shows everything you did in the course, so, if you don't do well in the course, maybe this isn't an option you should choose...Your grades, assignments/exams stats are printed on the certificate. If you do well, great! If not, well...You can also download/print out the certificate if you like. You can also email your cert. to people, which is cool, it verifies what you've done to others. In other words, 'don't take my word for it', the company backs the certificate. If you want them to send you a hard copy certificate (which I did for a couple of courses), they ship it to you securely, very beautiful award. Nice paper, lots of colors, very nice. You pay the shipping/handling -- It cost me like $6 bucks to ship to MN. Otherwise, you can print it out yourself if you like (not as pretty, but acceptable). The lessons are beautifully illustrated -- most have video -- the discussions are relavent and the bbs/class forums keep you on your toes (you'll see what I mean). I look forward to learning a new lesson every day when I have some free time. It's very enjoyable--much more than say like TV reruns. Also, sometimes, life is busy, so maybe you can't do anything for a few days, or a week, maybe even a month. Eh, you just pickup where you left off. No biggy. Convenience of online learning is awesome. Anyway, maybe I'm a little biased, I am a life-long learner. :-) But it is truly a rewarding experience. And addictive.

Anyway, I've taken 3 medical-related courses, an accounting course, communications course, a body language course, and business-related courses. Loved them all!! There's so much more that they offer that intrigues me, I'll let you know how it goes. But I'm a very, very satisfied customer. Kudos to them!

UniversalClass so far has not been something I would recommend

I just finished a course with UniversalClass. I did every assignment/exam and aced them. I took notes even though the lessons were only a page long and the multiple choice exams could have been submitted by a fourth grader. So when I am done with the entire course, I am informed that I need to take SEVEN surveys about universalclass. Well, I bypass that option and they give me an overall score of 72! I go to see why and it is because I didn't do the surveys. It even had notated that I had aced every exam. The surveys were all about unoversalclass and had absolutely nothing to do with what I was trying to learn. Why should I get punished by 28 points for not taking the time to do their job! I am still awaiting a response from one of my "instructors" who has yet to respond to a message I sent her asking why she docked me points on an assignment when all the answers were correct. Her answer at the time of the grading was that my response did not have the average amount of words in at that my "peers" had.

Class Selection
The majority of the classes that they offer are for people who are not looking for accreditation and don't REALLY need to be knowledgeable in the field that they are pursuing an education in because so far the "lessons" I have taken are all stuff that just about anyone who has graduated high school should know.

Teaching Quality
There are no teachers. I get that this is a very inexpensive way to learn but these people are not teachers. They grade by word count and not the actual subject matter of the assignment.

Accreditation
There is no accreditation - which I did not find out until after I submitted my payment. I guess I could have researched it further.

I Like Universal

from Swampscott, MA

Comments about Universal Class:

I take Universal courses both for professional development and as a hobby. First of all, their written lessons at times can lack the detail required to fully understand the topic. Also, their exams are difficult and, at times, unfair. There have been multiple times where I have gotten a test question wrong because I didn't understand the wording of the question. The assignments are all required and can be extremely difficult, depending on the course. The videos supplied with the lessons, when available, are useless. Math practice exercises don't thoroughly prepare you for the exams - too easy. Yet, for professional development, I still recommend Universal because the!y are priced reasonably (a library might supply the courses for you) and are IACET accredited. If you do sign up with them, be prepared to work a lot more hours than what's indicated in the course description.

Journalism Online Course

from New York

Comments about Universal Class:

I started an online course in Journalism at Open School of Journalism about 6 months ago. First, I was intimidated by it because I wasn't sure if I had enough discipline. It turned out it was so easy and so much fun to work through course books. The staff and tutors at Open School of Journalism are very nice and helped with any questions I had. I would recommend this school for Journalism courses. I can't wait to graduate and hold a certificate in my hands!

For fun, not credentials

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Universal Class:

Universal Class has a whole lot of different classes, from learning the basics of Excel to how to read your own horoscope. The classes are done completely by remote and are extremely affordable, especially if elect to just audit and not get CEUs for the class. I have had a lot of fun taking classes at Universal Class. It's a rather impersonal experience - the teachers are generally too busy to shoot the breeze through email or IM, and there are not a lot of social butterflies burning up the message boards. But if you liked survey classes in college and miss that learning experience but don't have time to visit your local community college, Universal Class might be for you. If you choose to pay a little extra for the CEU you can even apply it toward a certificate later. It's not recommended if you need to earn credits towards a degree quickly though, nor if you are looking for expert level guidance on a particular topic.

Class Selection
Universal Class has classes on a great multitude of subjects. As you would expect from an outfit called 'universal class.' Keep in mind though, the subjects are not really geared toward the professional looking for in-depth knowledge. They are most definitely geared towards the dabbler looking for a survey class.

Teaching Quality
The teacher guides you through the class remotely, using a message board and email. There is a syllabus that you can follow pretty much at your own pace, although there is a (very generous) deadline. There has to be a deadline, or there would be no way for a human teacher to guide the class. I was glad to have that human element giving me feedback. You are not likely to develop a close mentor relationship with a Universal Class teacher, but you will feel their presence, even from a distance. They will be grading your work. You upload assignments through a document uploader and the teacher gets back to you with feedback usually within a week. That part is actually not all that different from my own college experience.

Financial Aid
I'm not quite sure how to answer this one. There is no financial aid in the way that you would receive from an institutionally accredited college. However, the classes are really affordable and you can choose between two payment options - if you choose to audit the class you pay significantly less than if you choose to receive CEU credit for it.

Accreditation
Universal Class is accredited as an Authorized Provider with the International Association for Continuing Education and Training. Basically, that means you can get Continuing Education Units if you pay a little extra for the privilege of turning in assignments and not just auditing the class. The Continuing Education Units are worth less than Continuing Education Credits in terms of transferring them into a certificate degree, but they can be used towards one. To give an analogy that might be more familiar, it's kind of like the difference between taking a one credit class in college, and taking a four credit class. Universal Class is mainly composed of the 'one credit' type of classes. Since I cannot choose the option below, I am going to say here that I would recommend it if you are interested in checking out a certificate degree but are not sure yet if you should commit. You can get an overview of a subject together with CEU that can be applied towards it. If you want any of the degrees listed below, Universal Class is not going to offer enough credit to make it worth your time.

• Accreditation:

You have to know what you are getting into

Comments about Universal Class:

This is great if you want to pick up a little knowledge on a topic, and you realize that you are not paying much for the experience. However, if you are looking for a college like experience, this is not your option. You can find a huge variety of courses and topics to study, but don't expect to become an expert on any of them... More of just an overview of things.

Non-Credited Coursework

from Concord, NC

Comments about Universal Class:

I did the Medical Billing on here, after I was done with about half of it, found out not credited. Waste of time, luckily I didn't have to pay for this. I was hoping to break into that field, since I already have degrees in Accounting and Business Administration. No such luck.

Go Universal Class!

Comments about Universal Class:

Great, fun, relaxing courses. Very responsive professors but no time pressure to finish by a certain timeframe. I only had one issue with an exam that I submitted and got 100% on, but then it said I didn't submit it. I panicked, but my professor said it was fine, just a small glitch that cleared up quickly, thank goodness. But definitely a wonderful experience, I highly recommend the school. Also, these are continuing education courses. They are not meant to transfer as college credit, they are meant for lifelong learners or for professional development.

sucks at physics

Comments about Universal Class:

feel sorry for the money that i gave. Just search youtube. or wikipedia..A much better source. Very poor videos.. and very old links related to them. No real accreditation available. Nothing new comparing to free sites. .
It's also really expensive according to it's quality.

Mixed bag

Comments about Universal Class:

The best thing about Universal Class is the wide variety of classes, many more than you will find on many other online sites. But the quality of the lesson plans is uneven(sometimes well written, sometimes not)and the feedback from teachers often insufficient. The assignments range from moderately challenging to high (or middle) school caliber. One of the worst things is the plethora of typos in the lesson plans. Who is preparing this stuff? I have noticed that the instructors have huge caseloads and teach as many as ten classes. If this is the case, then it's no wonder they have little to say. If UC could address some of these problems, they'd have a top notch service. Still, for the money it's not too bad and you'll still learn something, so it's certainly not a complete waste of time.

Try Coursera Instead

Comments about Universal Class:

I just wrote a letter to Universal Class addressing the following concerns:

1. Exorbitant number of typos and grammatical errors in lesson plans
2. Ridiculously easy multiple choice quizzes
3. Content of lesson plans unrelated to quizzes
4. Assignments little more than restatement of lesson plan (intstructors don't even require students to use outside sources)
5. Instructor feedback non-existent or superficial ("You have scored 25 out of 25 points)" or superficial ("Good summary" and "Well put")

I told my husband about UC and he said the business was probably being run out of Belarus.
Try Coursera instead. You can get FREE classes from reputable universities like Brown, Duke, and Stanford. Be forewarned, however: I've reviewed the syllabi and the content makes UC look a kindergarten class.
Hope this helps!